Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Re: Brandon Miller - Alabama 

Post#501 » by Hal14 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:13 pm

Upperclass wrote:
Upperclass wrote:This dude looks like another Jarret Culver-type prospect. Doesnt seem like much different from your standard 6'6/6'7 high D1 wing scorer

Upperclass wrote:^Lots of very average prospects in recent drafts of the same archetype.. KZ Okpala, Cam Reddish, Justin Jackson, Ziaire Williams.. the '23 draft looks pretty terrible overall

He's terrible and someone will burn a top 7 pick on him. Happens every draft.

Brandon Miller is nothing like those guys. He's more like these guys:

Read on Twitter

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about if you're calling someone a "terrible player" who had a BPM of 12.0 or higher as a high major freshman and was a 1st team all-american, best player on a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament as a freshman with a 38% from 3, 58% TS as a 6'9" freshman. Get real, dude.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#502 » by Upperclass » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:38 am

He's a good NCAA player. He isnt a topline NBA prospect.. imo
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,347

Post#503 » by BAMAFREAK » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:44 am

As an Alabama fan and earlier defender, he should be in jail for his tournament performance
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#504 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:21 am

azcatz11 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
The-Power wrote:It's obvious that people will now overreact to a poor stretch of games (or those who never bought him as an elite prospect will see this as a good opportunity) but I'll just say that we have seen enough of him against legit competition to know what his strengths and weaknesses are. You can be high or low on him (all fair enough) but anyone who dramatically alters their big board after a couple of games is not doing genuine analysis and evaluation but knee-jerk punditry.

I'm not overreacting. I'm admitting that I've been fraudulently overhyping 4s forever and this type of player, who I think should be more impactful in the league, almost never ends up being that, and I'm coming to terms with this so need to start reevaluating how I project these guys. Even the better and more successful 4s that fit this description, the few that actually amount to anything, are at the end of the day role players. You either have the ball in your hands or you don't. If a player is dependent on others for creating for them, they shouldn't be ranked so high, so I no longer will.

Miller isn't an elite athlete. His handle is adequate but nothing special. He CAN pass but only against inferior competition where his size/length advantage comes into play. He CAN shoot but it's 3 or nothing else and as we've seen from others (Jabari) if that goes away you need to be able to create other looks and I'm sorry but Miller can't. It's not like he's being taken off my board, it just means he can't be in the top of the lottery. He'll still be a likely starter at the next level but he's not special. He's not even the prospect I think Smith was and still is because Smith can defend better and I trust his BBIQ and shot more than Miller.

I didn't know he was supposedly injured. He didn't look any different to me tonight than he has in any of the other dozen games I was able to watch him play this season so that excuse doesn't convince me.

Feels like a Kyle Kuzma type impact player in the league...very similar bodies also. I think he can be a good 3rd option on a mediocre (play-in team)

Yes! Exactly the right kind of player he should be compared to. In this weak class he’s still a lottery pick
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#505 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:17 am

Still my 3rd pick. Not going to over-analyse a bad 2 game stretch.
All prospects after him have higher question marks and his floor is still a really high outcome.

People saying he is not PG are not wrong. But I don't know who threw that comp to start with. He's clearly far from PG with his athletic profile.

I will not overthink it. He's 6'9, an incredibly impactful freshman, great shooter, glimpses of lead initiator.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#506 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:19 am

Kyle Kuzma old man's hip mobility cancels the entire comp.
I don't understand how anyone can watch Miller play and say: yeah, that looks like Kuzma's game
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,061

Post#507 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 pm

Not really swinging my view on him drastically. I think if he had an awesome tourney he probably would of locked down the 2nd pick, but he failed to do that. I still have him in the 2-4 range depending on team needs.

I would assume that most prospects/teams numbers when isolated to just playing top 40 defenses would be worse, but I don't have a ton of data on that. it wasn't just Miller who struggled in that game, Bama as a shot 32% and normally shoot 44%. SDSU held Creighton to 40% shooting, and they normally shoot 47%.

Overall shooting is far from what I am worried about with him as he still shot over 38% from three on massive volume and 86% from the free throw line.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#508 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm

07-10 Danny Granger to me is the high end outcome, but that's on the high side and unlikely, the problem is it's tough to come up with a median outcome for Miller and that's why I am most likely lower on him than most at this point

maybe Sac Rudy Gay is a decent mid tier outlook, but that's hard to say considering Gay was always injured at that point
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#509 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:07-10 Danny Granger to me is the high end outcome, but that's on the high side and unlikely, the problem is it's tough to come up with a median outcome for Miller and that's why I am most likely lower on him than most at this point

maybe Sac Rudy Gay is a decent mid tier outlook, but that's hard to say considering Gay was always injured at that point

Danny Granger comp is fine, but not as high end outcome. Miller is significantly better than Granger was at his age especially as an outside shooter. Granger was a Non shooter in his first 2 years of college and even in his senior year at New Mexico he only attempted 3.5 per game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/danny-granger-1.html?utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_source=bbr&utm_campaign=2023_02_tbl_player_college_stats&utm_content=lnk_mcbb&utm_id=grangda01
Big Board
clyde21
RealGM

Post#510 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm

if you don't think 26/5/3 is a fair high end outcome for B Mill I don't know what tell you at that point.

and development is not linear for all players. just because Miller is quicker on the dev stage than Granger doesn't mean he'll be better by the time he's 25 or 26.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,388

Post#511 » by Big J » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 pm

Granger and Rudy Gay were **** black holes. They aren't even remotely the same archetype as Miller. GTFO with that. One of Miller's greatest strengths is his passing. Also he's averaging 8 boards in college, it's dumb to think he's only going to grab 5 per as a pro. And 3rd neither of those guys defended as well as Miller.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#512 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:if you don't think 26/5/3 is a fair high end outcome for B Mill I don't know what tell you at that point.

and development is not linear for all players. just because Miller is quicker on the dev stage than Granger doesn't mean he'll be better by the time he's 25 or 26.

I would agree it is not always linear but I think it shouldn't be ignored. I just don't think picking 2-3 year window in the middle of the 17th overall pick is a great comp regardless of what he averaged over that time period.
Big Board
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#513 » by drone3 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:36 am

As a bucks fan Miller reminds me alot of Midds. I really don't see the PG comparison
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,370

Post#514 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:05 am

Wesley Johnson as his floor?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#515 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Jun 6, 2023 5:32 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Not really swinging my view on him drastically. I think if he had an awesome tourney he probably would of locked down the 2nd pick, but he failed to do that. I still have him in the 2-4 range depending on team needs.

I would assume that most prospects/teams numbers when isolated to just playing top 40 defenses would be worse, but I don't have a ton of data on that. it wasn't just Miller who struggled in that game, Bama as a shot 32% and normally shoot 44%. SDSU held Creighton to 40% shooting, and they normally shoot 47%.

Overall shooting is far from what I am worried about with him as he still shot over 38% from three on massive volume and 86% from the free throw line.

nba teams understand the principle of sample size, hence those last few games won't move the needle. still either goes 2 or 3. no chance he drops to 4.
Big J
General Manager

Post#516 » by Big J » Tue Jun 6, 2023 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#517 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Jun 6, 2023 8:31 pm

Big J wrote:
Read on Twitter

6'9" wing with a sweet stroke, vs short guard who can't shoot. hmmm...can't imagine why they would do that.

almost everybody is on board with miller at 2 at this point. espn/DX with givony did both a bpa mock and a fit mock and Miller fell at #2 in both.

there is enough smoke at this point you pretty much pencil in miller at 2. nba people get it.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#518 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 8:58 pm

if Charlotte takes Miller over Scoot just shut the whole franchise down
Big J
General Manager

Post#519 » by Big J » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:04 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Big J wrote:
Read on Twitter

6'9" wing with a sweet stroke, vs short guard who can't shoot. hmmm...can't imagine why they would do that.

almost everybody is on board with miller at 2 at this point. espn/DX with givony did both a bpa mock and a fit mock and Miller fell at #2 in both.

there is enough smoke at this point you pretty much pencil in miller at 2. nba people get it.

Agreed, and that's not even taking fit into account.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#520 » by mattao313 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:21 pm

Big J wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Big J wrote:
Read on Twitter

Agreed, and that's not even taking fit into account.
Shhhh yall are stupid if you think Miller is better scoot is a lock at #2....lmao

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships

Return to NBA Draft