Brandon Miller - Alabama

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HiDef
Junior
And1: 292

Re: Brandon Miller - Alabama 

Post#521 » by HiDef » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:32 pm

This dude is really about to con the league into going #2 just off some wide open transition shots... Christ
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#522 » by LofJ » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:42 pm

Charlotte is bringing in the Thompson twins this Friday, Scoot on Sunday, and then Miller this coming Tuesday. The team could very well be leaning towards Miller, but I highly doubt they've made a decision yet.

The Scoot vs. Miller debate drives clicks anyway, so of course the media would play into it. The obvious bad fit of Scoot in Portland with Lillard also drives clicks. Will they trade Lillard? Or trade Scoot instead? A lot of questions there that people are interested in. There aren't as many questions if Scoot goes 2 and Miller goes 3.

In 2 weeks we'll find out one way or another.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Post#523 » by Big J » Tue Jun 6, 2023 10:07 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Big J wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
6'9" wing with a sweet stroke, vs short guard who can't shoot. hmmm...can't imagine why they would do that.

almost everybody is on board with miller at 2 at this point. espn/DX with givony did both a bpa mock and a fit mock and Miller fell at #2 in both.

there is enough smoke at this point you pretty much pencil in miller at 2. nba people get it.

Agreed, and that's not even taking fit into account.
Shhhh yall are stupid if you think Miller is better scoot is a lock at #2....lmao

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

A 6'1 guard who can't shoot is unquestionably better than a 6'9 wing who can shoot, pass and defend?
Big J
General Manager

Post#524 » by Big J » Tue Jun 6, 2023 10:09 pm

LofJ wrote:Charlotte is bringing in the Thompson twins this Friday, Scoot on Sunday, and then Miller this coming Tuesday. The team could very well be leaning towards Miller, but I highly doubt they've made a decision yet.

The Scoot vs. Miller debate drives clicks anyway, so of course the media would play into it. The obvious bad fit of Scoot in Portland with Lillard also drives clicks. Will they trade Lillard? Or trade Scoot instead? A lot of questions there that people are interested in. There aren't as many questions if Scoot goes 2 and Miller goes 3.

In 2 weeks we'll find out one way or another.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scoot fell to 4 if Portland doesn't get war chest offer from anyone.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#525 » by mattao313 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 10:23 pm

Big J wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Agreed, and that's not even taking fit into account.
Shhhh yall are stupid if you think Miller is better scoot is a lock at #2....lmao

A 6'1 guard who can't shoot is unquestionably better than a 6'9 wing who can shoot, pass and defend?
I'm with u bro just teasing guys that kept saying that stuff all year.

Championships
Big J
General Manager

Post#526 » by Big J » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:41 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Big J wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Shhhh yall are stupid if you think Miller is better scoot is a lock at #2....lmao

I'm with u bro just teasing guys that kept saying that stuff all year.

Haha, my bad.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#527 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:18 am

i dont love his release but he's 6-9 so not a huge deal esp if some of the handle translates

Read on Twitter
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#528 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:50 am

Why do people live scoot so much more than Brandon miller. It's not like scoot set the g league on fire.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#529 » by Ferulci » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:34 am

I don't know a lot about Brandon Miller but I was not impressed by what I saw from March Madness and highlights, especially from a Top3 pick. And that's even before we start thinking about his legal issues atm (I know he didn't kill her but that is still a very bad look).
But like I said, i'm ignorant about him. So can someone explain to me what is his best scenario comp? If everything pans out well, are we talking about a Top 10 player in this league? A Top 5? In which areas could a become a 99 percentile type of players?
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,322

Post#530 » by DOT » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:01 pm

Ferulci wrote:But like I said, i'm ignorant about him. So can someone explain to me what is his best scenario comp? If everything pans out well, are we talking about a Top 10 player in this league? A Top 5? In which areas could a become a 99 percentile type of players?

Absolute best case scenario?

Jayson Tatum

Realistic best case scenario?

Probably somewhere between Tobias Harris and Lauri Markkanen

His best attribute is gonna be his shooting, but he has the handle and fluidity to make shots off the dribble. How good he gets at that is gonna make his drive game a factor, plus he has potential as a playmaker, but unrealized. Also his defensive upside is a mixed bag

I have him at #2 over Scoot because I think that Scoot's archetype is someone who only fits as a #1, where Miller could be a #2 fairly easily, and I don't have a ton of faith in either of them getting to the level of a true #1.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#531 » by CptCrunch » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:18 pm

How do we justify Brandon Miller for #2 if his shooting splits were fairly bad during the second half of the season? and during NCAA tourney? Based on potential? Excuse it with the close call on the homicide rap?

Upon further reflection, it seems that Miller is being drafted based on some future potential despite being even older than the Thompsons. I am discounting Thompsons for putting up questionable stats in the OTE; surely BMO should be discounted for his poor play?

Rhetorical question today
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#532 » by God Squad » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:49 pm

Ferulci wrote:I don't know a lot about Brandon Miller but I was not impressed by what I saw from March Madness and highlights, especially from a Top3 pick. And that's even before we start thinking about his legal issues atm (I know he didn't kill her but that is still a very bad look).
But like I said, i'm ignorant about him. So can someone explain to me what is his best scenario comp? If everything pans out well, are we talking about a Top 10 player in this league? A Top 5? In which areas could a become a 99 percentile type of players?

People float around Paul George comps a lot, but I don't see it. He's not the same ball handler/creator or athlete PG is. I've always been partial to the Middleton/Granger comps myself.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#533 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:55 pm

CptCrunch wrote:How do we justify Brandon Miller for #2 if his shooting splits were fairly bad during the second half of the season? and during NCAA tourney? Based on potential? Excuse it with the close call on the homicide rap?

Upon further reflection, it seems that Miller is being drafted based on some future potential despite being even older than the Thompsons. I am discounting Thompsons for putting up questionable stats in the OTE; surely BMO should be discounted for his poor play?

Rhetorical question today

He was hurt in the SEC Championship game, they announced the injury publicly. He barely played (19 mins) in round 1 of Tourney. Then played the next two games hurt and played awful. I don't love injury excuses, but normally we hear nothing and then a month later it comes out that player was hurt and it feels like an excuse. It was pretty obvious he wasn't himself to end the year, but because Bama had title hopes he tried to push through it.

Really if you remove the final 4 games of the year his numbers were fine the 2nd half of the year.
The 2nd half of the year is conference play, in 18 games vs conference he averaged 20.3 ppg, 61.6% from 2, 38.4% from 3. 63.5 TS%.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#534 » by TyCobb » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:02 pm

I really like Millers game and think he is gonna be an impact player, but I can’t help but hear/think Andrew Bynum when he talks.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#535 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:53 pm

HiDef wrote:This dude is really about to con the league into going #2 just off some wide open transition shots... Christ

yeah, he was sec player of the year because he made some wide open transition shots.
Big J
General Manager

Post#536 » by Big J » Wed Jun 7, 2023 3:41 pm

His release reminds me a little of Eric Gordon’s.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#537 » by CptCrunch » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:09 pm

Overthinking makes me dislike (like less) every prospect in the draft aside from Wemby at 1, Black at 2-4 really.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,899

Post#538 » by Colbinii » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:45 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Why do people live scoot so much more than Brandon miller. It's not like scoot set the g league on fire.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

There are a few reasons.

Scoot Pros:
+Athleticism
+Vision and tempo control of an offense
+Elite Pick+Roll Ball Handler

Then, you can rather easily understand why he didn't set the G-League on fire.

1) The G-League is a professional, adult basketball league and Scoot is a teenages
2) Scoot was dealing with an injury for much of his time in the G-League
3) Scoot had a horrible team in the G-League and solid On/Off numbers [Impact +++]
4) Scoot was excellent against Wemby's team, where Scoot was clearly trying harder than he was in the G-League where he was instead practicing and building his skill-set rather than playing to win.

Miller's Cons [Questions]:
-Not a superb wing athlete
-Low-release on his shot
-Struggled big-time against the best teams and defenders in College
-Slow first-step

Now, this isn't to say Miller won't max out his potential and Scoot will.

For me, Miller will end up somewhere between Tobias Harris [low-end] and Danny Granger [high-end]. Miller has the playmaking pedigree to be a 3-4 APG, secondary playmaker in the Pick and Roll and like PG13 will struggle to get separation with just his athleticism.

As for Scoot, yes, his shooting is a big flag, but I wouldn't be too hard on it given his age. He showed big improvement in his shooting [both efficiency and mechanically] from year 1 to year 2 with the Ignite. His low-end is Baron Davis [maybe an all-star in down years, but with the guard talent in the current NBA, maybe never an all-star but a good starter] while his high-end is simply the best PG in the NBA [Ja Morant, Derrick Rose].

Now, here I am, posting in the Miller thread, and will likely get some replies but that is simply how I see the two as prospects. It does not mean than Miller will end up worse than Scoot. It does not mean Scoot will end up better than Miller. It just means that Scoot has an easier and clearer pathway to be great than Miller does.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HiDef
Junior
And1: 292

Post#539 » by HiDef » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:46 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HiDef wrote:This dude is really about to con the league into going #2 just off some wide open transition shots... Christ

yeah, he was sec player of the year because he made some wide open transition shots.

You say that like it's a joke, but he actually was. He's 39% at the rim in the halfcourt and 58% at the rim on the year. He's 48% on open threes and 38% from three on the year.

He's Trey Murphy with a little more size and rebounding, and a lot less explosiveness. Taking him over Scoot is insanity
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,899

Post#540 » by Colbinii » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:49 pm

Miller is a very good prospect. He is one of the most polished wing prospects to come out of the draft in the last 5-7 years.

I would take him over the following:
Jabari Smith Jr
Keegan Murray
Scottie Barnes
Patrick Williams
DeAndre Hunter

He would be in the RJ Barrett/Jayson Tatum tier of prospects for me, which is why I have him in the Top 4 this season.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to NBA Draft