Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Jordan Hawkins - UConn 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:35 pm

bout time I create a thread for my guy

J Hawk plays college bball like he's played in the Warriors system for years, I've never seen a dude at this level move off ball and shoot like this guy, it's uncanny

still plays off balance too often, needs to get considerably stronger and still has trouble converting in traffic and @ the rim, but he has few undeniable NBA skill sets.

not sure how high yet, but bottom of the lotto isn't out of the question. i personally have him higher than the previous UConn prospect Bouknight by a substantial margin, and Bouk went lotto in a strong draft, so we'll see.

Read on Twitter
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Re: Jordan Hawkins - UConn 

Post#2 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:52 pm

i'd consider him top ten. he'll be even better with nba spacing. he's far from perfect, but when you combine the pure shooting with the athleticism, i would hate to pass on him if i were drafting at #10. he reminds me of mikal bridges offensively coming out of nova but with better handle and shot creation ability. and even if bridges were just an average defender, he'd still be a very good nba player.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#5 » by jezzerinho » Sun Jan 1, 2023 11:32 am

This kid will be a big riser guaranteed. Defence, shooting and athleticism? "Sign me up" say 30 GMs. Question is only at what pick he gets taken but he's lottery for me.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 1, 2023 9:52 pm

jezzerinho wrote:This kid will be a big riser guaranteed. Defence, shooting and athleticism? "Sign me up" say 30 GMs. Question is only at what pick he gets taken but he's lottery for me.

Who said he plays defense? At his size it’s just not realistic to expect much there. I think his only plus skill is shooting right now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 1, 2023 10:32 pm

he definitely plays D, he's not Jrue Holiday shutdown by any stretch but he's not a guy you have to worry about defending his position on that end, he's also a ++ athlete obv.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 1:52 am

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Jordan Hawkins - UConn 

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:34 am

clyde21 wrote:he definitely plays D, he's not Jrue Holiday shutdown by any stretch but he's not a guy you have to worry about defending his position on that end, he's also a ++ athlete obv.

2 dunks on the season doesn’t scream ++ anything. As a 2 he will be a below average defender simply based on his size alone. He’s no Haliburton with a genius level IQ that can somewhat make up for lack of tools.

Weird that you watch Poole regularly (I assume) and don’t realize this.

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:23 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:he definitely plays D, he's not Jrue Holiday shutdown by any stretch but he's not a guy you have to worry about defending his position on that end, he's also a ++ athlete obv.

2 dunks on the season doesn’t scream ++ anything. As a 2 he will be a below average defender simply based on his size alone. He’s no Haliburton with a genius level IQ that can somewhat make up for lack of tools.

doesn't seem like you've watched Hawkins at all if you're comping him to Poole at this point, Poole is much more on-ball than Hawk, and Hawk is infinitely better off-ball in terms of movement, shooting off picks/screens, slashing and even setting screens himself. also a better defender.

if Hawk had JP's on-ball juice he'd be a top10 pick for me. but he's not a guy that needs to pound the **** out of the ball like Poole to contribute offensively at all. we might as well comp Dick to Poole too at that point.

also lol @ dunk metric, just useless for a guy like Hawkins, guys pops as an athlete in every way, and he'll prove it @ combine.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#11 » by jezzerinho » Mon Jan 2, 2023 10:16 am

EvanZ wrote:

If you're trying to make something out of being a talent evaluator in the public eye, a suggestion might be to not act like a passive aggressive child to people who hold different opinions.

And in answer to your truly self-unaware comment to me above, I say he plays defence - it's in my post after all.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

doesn't seem like you've watched Hawkins at all if you're comping him to Poole at this point, Poole is much more on-ball than Hawk, and Hawk is infinitely better off-ball in terms of movement, shooting off picks/screens, slashing and even setting screens himself. also a better defender.

if Hawk had JP's on-ball juice he'd be a top10 pick for me. but he's not a guy that needs to pound the **** out of the ball like Poole to contribute offensively at all. we might as well comp Dick to Poole too at that point.

also lol @ dunk metric, just useless for a guy like Hawkins, guys pops as an athlete in every way, and he'll prove it @ combine.

Incredibly disingenuous post Clyde. You should be better than this. Clearly we both know the Poole comp was about defense. They’re nothing alike on offense nor did I mention offense. Literally just talked about defense and how someone smaller like Haliburton can make up for lack of tools.

But you know that obviously.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#13 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:15 pm

You have to be Cason Wallace to have a chance of being a plus defender as a small 2 at the next level. With Hawkins you’re just praying he’s not a complete sieve. Unless you’re just into wishful thinking as a hobby.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:2 dunks on the season doesn’t scream ++ anything. As a 2 he will be a below average defender simply based on his size alone. He’s no Haliburton with a genius level IQ that can somewhat make up for lack of tools.

Incredibly disingenuous post Clyde. You should be better than this. Clearly we both know the Poole comp was about defense. They’re nothing alike on offense nor did I mention offense. Literally just talked about defense and how someone smaller like Haliburton can make up for lack of tools.

But you know that obviously.

i mean if you were just talking about the defensive side it's still a weird comp, Poole's high-hipped, low-energy, bad-tech and with generally terrible BBIQ...not sure how Hawk is any of these things. i think he provides enough force at the POA where he's not necessarily a guy that will have to worry too much about at that end.

again, not saying he's Jrue or even Wallace on that end, but the idea that he's Jordan Poole level defensively is just completely unfounded.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:39 pm

another example, beautiful block and then a side step banger on the other end. he's high energy on both ends and I love it.

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 9:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:
again, not saying he's Jrue or even Wallace on that end, but the idea that he's Jordan Poole level defensively is just completely unfounded.

He could be Poole or Herro or any of countless other 6'5" guards who are barely average defenders at the 2 position in the NBA. This should not be some earth shattering revelation especially when you consider a guy like Hawkins would be drafted primarily to be more of a creator and will spend a lot more energy on one end than the other. I just think people need to be realistic and acknowledge when there are real concerns and not shrug them off like "Oh hey he's not Marcus Smart but he should be fine". There's a world of difference between Marcus Smart and "being fine". Especially nowadays when good teams have so many big wings to worry about.

Can you switch Hawkins on guys like Luka or Tatum? He'll get destroyed just like Poole does.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 9:40 pm

ok? you can say that about 90% of guards in the NBA - why would you want a guard guarding Tatum or Luka? where are your wings?
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#18 » by jezzerinho » Mon Jan 2, 2023 10:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

He could be Poole or Herro or any of countless other 6'5" guards who are barely average defenders at the 2 position in the NBA. This should not be some earth shattering revelation especially when you consider a guy like Hawkins would be drafted primarily to be more of a creator and will spend a lot more energy on one end than the other. I just think people need to be realistic and acknowledge when there are real concerns and not shrug them off like "Oh hey he's not Marcus Smart but he should be fine". There's a world of difference between Marcus Smart and "being fine". Especially nowadays when good teams have so many big wings to worry about.

Can you switch Hawkins on guys like Luka or Tatum? He'll get destroyed just like Poole does.

The list of plus defenders who are sub 6'5" isn't exactly short. Even if he were just league average as you say, what would be wrong with that, given - as you also say - he will be asked to primarily be an offensive piece?

And the list of guys who hold their own - irrespective of height - against Tatum or Luka is pretty fücking short.

Not to mention, there's another long list of shït defenders who are 6'5" and above in the SG/wing position. Another list of plus 6'5" guards who can defend up the line but get eaten by mobile guards (who are now equally prevalent as big wings).

Furthermore, I actually doubt he'll be primarily tasked with being a creator either. Predominantly off ball shooter with a minority mix of transition/drive/secondary playmaker/iso seems more likely.

All in all, your post smacks of "I don't like this guy but i can't say why not", which is fine by me but then maybe hold off being a sarcastic pos answering those who can.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 11:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:ok? you can say that about 90% of guards in the NBA - why would you want a guard guarding Tatum or Luka? where are your wings?

That's exactly right dude. YOu want wings, not small 2's. Again, as a Warriors fan this should be very familiar to you.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 11:15 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
All in all, your post smacks of "I don't like this guy but i can't say why not", which is fine by me but then maybe hold off being a sarcastic pos answering those who can.

Except I've literally said why not several times now. So...

No need for personal attacks btw. You could just try reading what I write and responding in a calm tone. I'm not the one coming off as the "pos" here. Just expressing my opinions.

Return to NBA Draft