Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,737

Re: Brice Sensabaugh 

Post#41 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:39 am

Catchall wrote:
Chi town wrote:He’s DeMar Derozan with a 3 Ball.

He will be an absolute bucket in the league.

Sensabaugh is starting to look like he could be the next Joe Johnson, imo.

Joe Johnson was a very good passer
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#42 » by Dat2U » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:15 pm

Sensabaugh is a clear top 8 pick in my mind. As its been said, he's just an incredibly polishsed and skilled scorer for a freshman. He feels like what Shabazz Muhammad never turned out to be. Wings this skilled don't fail. Defensively I do have concerns but its not like a poor defending C who can't be hidden fo some extent.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#43 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:16 pm

Richman's Saddiq Bey or Rodney Rodgers for the older heads.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,109

Post#44 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 5, 2023 7:53 pm

Great shooter, but his low free throw rate and single digit assist percentage doesn't bode well for him being a creation core guy.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#45 » by The Moose » Sun Feb 5, 2023 11:38 pm

Read on Twitter

I think if you believe in Brice, you have to believe the passing flashes he has shown are more indicative of the type of passer he can be

few good clips in here
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#46 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 6, 2023 10:15 am

I'm honestly more worried about his defense. He gets easily blown past way too often by all kinds of players. He looks like he's an undersized 4 without much help defense or switching ability, and that puts a ton of pressure on his offense to keep his value afloat. He's such a difficult prospect to judge.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#47 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Feb 6, 2023 2:54 pm

not much handle and not a great run/jump athlete. has trouble getting by people. he can shoot and that's about it. granted he can shoot from everywhere, but when you're short, you aren't quick, you have a suspect handle and you can't jump, it can be hard to get those shots off.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#48 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 3:46 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Great shooter, but his low free throw rate and single digit assist percentage doesn't bode well for him being a creation core guy.

His assist rate is 11.9%, not single digits. The same assist rate Carmelo had as a freshman at Syracuse and basically the same as Jayson Tatum's when he was a freshman at Duke.

TBF, Brice's FTr is a bit lower than Melo and Tatum's though, who ironically had basically the same FTr in college. Although Brice is shooting it much better than Melo or Tatum did..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#49 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 3:49 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:not much handle and not a great run/jump athlete. has trouble getting by people. he can shoot and that's about it. granted he can shoot from everywhere, but when you're short, you aren't quick, you have a suspect handle and you can't jump, it can be hard to get those shots off.

Since when is 6'6" short? lol
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#50 » by God Squad » Mon Feb 6, 2023 4:51 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:not much handle and not a great run/jump athlete. has trouble getting by people. he can shoot and that's about it. granted he can shoot from everywhere, but when you're short, you aren't quick, you have a suspect handle and you can't jump, it can be hard to get those shots off.

What position is Brice and which does he guard?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#51 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 4:57 pm

God Squad wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

What position is Brice and which does he guard?

He's a wing. He can hold us own defending out on the perimeter and in the interior. Just don't have him defend elite perimeter off the dribble creators or dominant inside centers and he'll be fine.

I could ask the same question (who does he defend?) about Whitmore, Jett, George, Nick Smith, Whitehead. Heck, even GG and Brandon Miller. A lot of these guys have defensive questions..

But Brice's combination of size (6'6" or taller), strength/power, shooting touch and ability to create and get to his spots off the dribble with a wide variety of moves, scoring volume + scoring efficiency as a freshman is something we don't see very often. That combination has him in the top 10 on my board at the moment.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#52 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Feb 6, 2023 5:29 pm

Hal14 wrote:

when your wingspan is 6'7". we'll see how he measures, but he lacks length.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#53 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 5:33 pm

he's just an awkward eval overall, the production is incredible for a freshmen and at some point you have to trust it, but his exact archetype in the NBA is hard to identify and isn't a very toolsy guy.

i just can't put him in the lotto b/c of it, because even if the shooting is real the ceiling is still questionable in many ways. Jae Crowder seems like the high end outcome to me unless there are some outlier developments in terms of his physical profile, defensively, or self-creation.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#54 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Feb 6, 2023 10:55 pm

I don't think he's 6'6" and he's kinda slow and plodding. It seems to me that he could stand to lose 15-20 lbs and if he did he'd benefit from the better quickness, explosion and conditioning. He should be a guy taken in the last 1/3 of the first or early second depending on how he tests.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#55 » by The-Power » Tue Feb 7, 2023 12:10 am

Hal14 wrote:He's a wing. He can hold us own defending out on the perimeter and in the interior.

He really can't, though. That's the problem.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,109

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Tue Feb 7, 2023 1:38 am

Hal14 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Great shooter, but his low free throw rate and single digit assist percentage doesn't bode well for him being a creation core guy.

His assist rate is 11.9%, not single digits. The same assist rate Carmelo had as a freshman at Syracuse and basically the same as Jayson Tatum's when he was a freshman at Duke.

TBF, Brice's FTr is a bit lower than Melo and Tatum's though, who ironically had basically the same FTr in college. Although Brice is shooting it much better than Melo or Tatum did..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brice-sensabaugh-1.html

9.2% assist percentage overall (a pitiful 5.7% assist percentage in Big 10 conference games). Those are really bad playmaking numbers.

And Tatum/Anthony's ftr was nearly 10% higher than Sensabaughs. That's a significant gap.

I doubt an NBA team will want to run their offense through a player that doesn't pass the ball or draw fouls.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#57 » by Hal14 » Tue Feb 7, 2023 2:20 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brice-sensabaugh-1.html

9.2% assist percentage overall (a pitiful 5.7% assist percentage in Big 10 conference games). Those are really bad playmaking numbers.

And Tatum/Anthony's ftr was nearly 10% higher than Sensabaughs. That's a significant gap.

I doubt an NBA team will want to run their offense through a player that doesn't pass the ball or draw fouls.

Oh ok, I must have been looking at Melo's assist rate.

Who said anything about an NBA team running their offense through him? I think he could be a solid 3rd (maybe even 2nd) option on a good team in his prime. That's solid value with the 9th pick, which is where I have him ranked at the moment.

I'd have him ranked higher if I saw him as a number 1 option on a good team..
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#58 » by CptCrunch » Wed Feb 8, 2023 12:01 am

Now if we look at the top spot up shooters by volume (ignoring efficiency), Keldon Johnson, Barrett, Kuzma, Hardaway Jr, Randle, PJ Washington, Dort, Jaylen Brown, Jerami Grant, Anunoby, Marcus Morris, Jabari Smith, Quentin Grimes, Oubre, Gary Trent, Karlito, Cam Johnson, Jaden McDaniels. The ones that don't add secondary value just aren't that valuable and haven't been drafted high at all.

If he he can't D, isn't NBA athletic, and can't pass. I don't see more than a mid 20's pick in the best case.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#59 » by Monix » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:32 am

High end - Khris MIddleton?

Low end - Shabazz Muhammad?

Short Derrick WIlliams?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#60 » by babyjax13 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 am

The Michigan game definitely illustrates what Sensabaugh is at his worst: if he can't score, he doesn't contribute anything positive. You have to be really confident that he is enough of an outlier scorer to overcome bad defense, and to justify having the ball in his hands quite a bit.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft