Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,163

Re: Jalen Hood-Schifino 

Post#61 » by JMAC3 » Sat Mar 4, 2023 4:13 pm

Hal14 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Both bigger body guards, who project as good defenders at both guard spots. I don't think the shooting is very far off at the college level. Suggs overall stats are more impressive, but he was also playing inferior conference competition compared to the teams that JHS is going against in the Big ten.

Suggs 33.7% from deep/ JHS 35.6%
Suggs 75.5% from line/ JHS 77%

Per 100 possessions
Suggs/JHS
Scoring 26.6/24.1
Threes 6.4/6.0

JHS projects as an average defender at best at the NBA level.

Suggs on the other hand was arguably the best guard defender in the country besides Davion Mitchell, who was 3 years older than Suggs.

Suggs was the best player on a team that went to the national title game as a freshman. JHS is the 2nd best player on a team that ranked 15th in the country.

Suggs is tougher, stronger, more physical. Faster, quicker off the dribble, more explosive, more athletic.

I see some similarities - and they're similar shooters (which doesn't bode well for JHS since Suggs has shot poorly in the NBA) but Suggs was a much better prospect.

Not everyone needs a comp. That's the danger with comps. You try saying "oh he's like that guy who went top 5!" But players are all like snow flakes. There's so much nuance to the game, nuance to each player, that a guy might kind of resemble another guy but then they end up translating very differently in the NBA.

He is 6-6 213lbs at 19 years old. He is going to be really big strong guard in the NBA. Indiana has a top 50 defense in college basketball, I really doubt he is some awful defender. They also have a top 30 offense.

That is 25 lbs more than Whitehead, Nick Smith, Keyonte, Wallace...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#62 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 4, 2023 5:01 pm

He’ll be 20 in draft night. I see that Givony now has him 12 so I’m guessing that’s why a lot of people are suddenly into him going that high. It’s hard for most people to go against Givony. I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#63 » by WargamesX » Sat Mar 4, 2023 10:40 pm

EvanZ wrote:He’ll be 20 in draft night. I see that Givony now has him 12 so I’m guessing that’s why a lot of people are suddenly into him going that high. It’s hard for most people to go against Givony. I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

That #12 ranking was probably because he scored 35. Meanwhile that whole game he just beat up Perdue’s guards (as he should) and his midrange game was perfect to take advantage of Edy’s lack of mobility outside the paint.

His next game he scored 8. :lol:

The kid has talent but is way to inconsistent and needs to alter his game for the league. Around 20 makes sense. The NBA talent is there he just needs to learn how to play like a NBA player. If his father was a NBA player and he grew up learning the proper drills and attacks like those kids do he would be a lottery pick. He’s not, so he’s going to require some effort from a franchise.

I think his scoring would be a lot more consistent if he was willing to drive to the basket against defenders and draw a foul. He seems tough, but just loves the midrange too much because he can hit those over the shorter defenders. It’s going to take time to train him away from that and for him to just improve his finishing.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#64 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 6, 2023 7:27 am

For those that have him going late late first.

I struggle to find guys to put over him, no way am I taking Terquavion, Colby Jones or Sasser over him. Really don't even feel good taking Dariq Whitehead over him.
Big Board
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#65 » by The-Power » Mon Mar 6, 2023 8:09 am

JMAC3 wrote:For those that have him going late late first.

I struggle to find guys to put over him, no way am I taking Terquavion, Colby Jones or Sasser over him. Really don't even feel good taking Dariq Whitehead over him.

You can have him as a late FRP and still not rank him lower than the first three guys you mentioned. For me, those three players are in that late FRP/early SRP range.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#66 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 6, 2023 4:06 pm

The-Power wrote:

You can have him as a late FRP and still not rank him lower than the first three guys you mentioned. For me, those three players are in that late FRP/early SRP range.

Can you list out the top 25 players then? Seems to be inverse of 15 top 10 players in the league.

No idea how all those guys can be late first/early 2nds, there are not enough good players ahead of them.
Big Board
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#67 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:50 pm

I have Terq over him, as well as Kobe Bufkin, Brandin Podziemski and Mo Gueye. Would also probably take Bona, Jordan Hawkins, and then would have to think about guys like Clowney and GG. Maybe I'll end up with JHS higher than this but all these guys are in the mix as far as I'm concerned.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:58 pm

Scoot
Black
Amen
Mintz
Cason
Bufkin

that's at least 6 of what I have listed as PGs that I'd take over JHS for sure, I'd also probably take Terq and Alexander over him too but at this point it becomes a convo.

late first seems like a good spot for him.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#69 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 7, 2023 12:24 am

JMAC3 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Can you list out the top 25 players then? Seems to be inverse of 15 top 10 players in the league.

No idea how all those guys can be late first/early 2nds, there are not enough good players ahead of them.

Spoiler:
Victor Wembanyama
Brandon Miller
Scoot Henderson
Jarace Walker
Anthony Black
Sidy Cissoko
Taylor Hendricks
Cam Whitmore
Keyonte George
Jett Howard
Cason Wallace
Kris Murray
Jordan Hawkins
Brice Sensaubaugh
Julian Phillips
Gradey Dick
Dariq Whitehead
Nick Smith
GG Jackson
Amen Thompson
Ausar Thompson
Maxwell Lewis
Jalen Wilson
Kevin McCullar
Jaylen Clark
Kobe Bufkin
Leonard Miller
Zach Edey
Judah Mintz
Dereck Lively II

Those are 30 prospects that I wouldn't find it difficult to make a case for them over JHS and the others you listed. I'm not saying I would have each of them ahead of all the players you mentioned (they are in the same range as the lower ones for me) but there are obvious arguments. There are more players I could list, too, but let's leave it at that for now.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#70 » by WargamesX » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:20 am

I think he goes earliest from late lottery to around the early 20’s. There are teams there that might have the resources to be patient with him, and gamble that they can develop him into a good player. I think physically/skill wise he could be a regular rotation player. He really just has bad nba habits he’ll need to unlearn and he will need to be more consistent from 3.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
clyde21
RealGM

Post#71 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 5:38 pm

is there a huge difference between JHS and Colby Jones?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#72 » by Hal14 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 5:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:is there a huge difference between JHS and Colby Jones?

No. I have Jones ranked slightly higher.

The only edge for JHS is being younger and the possibility that he's a 6'6" PG, which could be seen as more valuable than a 6'6" SG.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#73 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 5:54 pm

is that even an edge for JHS tho?

Colby has has a better A/TO ratio by a pretty decent margin, 4.9/2.4 to 4.1/3.2, converts a higher rate at the rim, has a higher FT rate, shoots better from 3, can't see a real differentiator in terms of size or physical toolset.

and while Colby is a jr he's actually only 1 yr older than JHS.

so natural question I'd ask Givony is why is JHS top 12 but not Colby?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#74 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 7, 2023 6:18 pm

Podz is clearly better than JHS or Colby Jones lol and Givony has him in the 2024 Draft. But really let's get real here. Givony is just a proxy/mouthpiece for NBA front offices. If they like Schifino for whatever reason, Givony likes him.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#75 » by JMAC3 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 2:51 am

Podz averaged 1.4 ppg in the big ten as a freshman.
Big Board
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#76 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 8, 2023 3:10 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Podz averaged 1.4 ppg in the big ten as a freshman.

I was initially skeptical as well. But at some point you have to call a spade a spade. Discount him at your own peril. :lol:
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#77 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 8, 2023 3:58 pm

I feel like Podz bombs the athleticism eye-test. But somehow he's a capable rebounder (albeit in a weak conference).

Tough to say. Will his team make the tourney?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 8, 2023 4:04 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I feel like Podz bombs the athleticism eye-test. But somehow he's a capable rebounder (albeit in a weak conference).

Tough to say. Will his team make the tourney?

I think Podz is basically same tier athlete as JHS tbh, if anything, maybe slightly better. Of course, this is one of the reasons I'm not super high on JHS. Also he's way more than a "capable" rebounder. I think he leads the team in rebounding. He's really like a slightly bigger, but less bouncy DDV.

I think the only tourney SC is making is the NIT, but I highly recommend people study up on Podz. I have a feeling he'll test the waters at a minimum.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#79 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 8, 2023 7:13 pm

I think the B/R article actually hit on the #1 thing NBA teams like, which is his skill in operating in PNR. My guess is they don't look too much further than most college kids especially at his size don't look so natural with the ball in PNR. And despite the concerns about not taking enough 3's and not getting to the rim, they see enough with his PNR ball handling to like him. Simple as that.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 7:28 pm

PNR
FT%
6-6

that's probably all they look at.

Return to NBA Draft