Scoot a sure thing, Keyonte a question?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,614

Scoot a sure thing, Keyonte a question? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:47 pm

Educate me...The world seems to think Scoot is a sure thing rock star scoring combo guard. Keyonte George looks like a better shooting, similar sized, less athletic but very crafty finisher around the rim...what are the big differences between these two and their projected NBA impact?
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Re: Scoot a sure thing, Keyonte a question? 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:47 am

Scoot is an entirely different tier of an athlete which matters a lot. He's also a much more advanced playmaker and projects to be a clear PG at the next level whereas George falls more into the CG category. Scoot is also a better scorer inside the arc. George's only real advantage is his 3pt shooting and even in that regard he's not so elite that it changes the entire evaluation (although it clearly helps him to be sure).
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#3 » by reanimator » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:41 pm

For me beyond the clear difference in physical tools, its decision making. Scoot knows what is a good shot, when to take it, and how to seamlessly balance it with playmaking for others.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:04 pm

Im a big George fan, but there are just different levels here. When someone has a true elite level attribute, its really hard to overlook. I will admit I did this with Ja and since then I kind of told myself I wasnt going to overthink it again. Scoot has just a different level of athleticism. Then when you factor in he actually has good guard skills as well, that is a combination that is too hard to pass up. Not saying it works out every time, but when it does workout, it usually leads to something pretty special.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,727

Post#5 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:53 pm

We can't ignore that Scoot is better playing against grown men, where George is playing against kids. Plenty of those kids won't ever sniff the worst leagues overseas, much less the G-League.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#6 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:32 am

Keyonte should be as good or better shooting off the dribble and shooting in general compared to Scoot. However, Scoot's athleticism and change of speed is going to make him more dynamic with the ball in his hands.

I'm interested to see what Keyonte can do playing off of screens in the NBA.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:22 am

Scoot's athleticism/on-ball creation combo is just another level
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,811

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:55 pm

Henderson reminds me of a young CP3.

Keyonte has shown an ability to make good reads and passes [drive and alley-oop, drive and find a cutter, drive and find the corner] but he still projects [to me] as a secondary playmaker. His scoring still leaves a lot to be desired [44% on 2P shots is really bad] and I don't know how well his game is going to translate to the NBA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Skybox wrote:Educate me...The world seems to think Scoot is a sure thing rock star scoring combo guard. Keyonte George looks like a better shooting, similar sized, less athletic but very crafty finisher around the rim...what are the big differences between these two and their projected NBA impact?

"Less athletic" is doing a lot of work. It's 2 or 3 tiers of athleticism separating them and in the NBA that can make all the difference. Not to mention Scoot actually seems more like a natural point guard while Keyonte is much more of a combo guard mentality.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,147

Post#10 » by Hal14 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:50 pm

The-Power wrote:Scoot is an entirely different tier of an athlete which matters a lot. He's also a much more advanced playmaker and projects to be a clear PG at the next level whereas George falls more into the CG category. Scoot is also a better scorer inside the arc. George's only real advantage is his 3pt shooting and even in that regard he's not so elite that it changes the entire evaluation (although it clearly helps him to be sure).

Agreed. Also...

-Scoot has pretty much dominated a grown man pro league for 2 years now at age 18 and 19. Keyonte is a good but inconsistent player in a college league.

-Scoot appears to be a little better defensively

-The explosiveness, ability to literally just dribble through an entire defense and throw down monster dunks, control the pace of the game are on another level compared to Keyonte

Keyonte is still very good. I have him top 10, but Scoot is better at literally everything except shooting, plus much better athleticism.

And the one thing Keyonte is supposedly better at (shooting), well, Keyonte is shooting 33% from 3 on the season, compared to 35% for Scoot. So Scoot is actually shooting it better from 3, while shooting it from the NBA 3 pt line. Scoot has 2 years experience now shooting it from the NBA 3 pt line, whereas Keyonte will have a learning curve once he gets to the NBA of having to adjust to the deeper 3 pt line in the NBA.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,727

Post#11 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:10 pm

Im starting to think Keyonte might be better suited to be a 6th man than a starter
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,430

Post#12 » by Big J » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:08 am

Still have Scoot above him, but it feels like the gap is closing by the day now that there is more evidence out there. Crazy how much can change in a month.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#13 » by eminence » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:37 pm

I don’t really see the upside play for Keyonte (relative to Scoot). Are people seeing him as an elite scorer or hoping his playmaking will take a significant jump?
I bought a boat.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:39 pm

eminence wrote:I don’t really see the upside play for Keyonte (relative to Scoot). Are people seeing him as an elite scorer or hoping his playmaking will take a significant jump?

I mean he's definitely a better shooter right now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Big J
General Manager

Post#15 » by Big J » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:46 pm

eminence wrote:I don’t really see the upside play for Keyonte (relative to Scoot). Are people seeing him as an elite scorer or hoping his playmaking will take a significant jump?

Shooting, size, defense, but yea for now Scoot has more hypothetical potential.
eminence
RealGM

Post#16 » by eminence » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:03 pm

EvanZ wrote:

I mean he's definitely a better shooter right now.

I must have worded that poorly, as that wasn't the question I was looking to have answered. I agree Keyonte has things he's better at.

I see a pretty clear path to Allstar+ status for Scoot: don't be Trae on D, score at league average-ish efficiency on medium volume - largely self created, and be a very good to elite distributor. I don't think any of those are too wild of hopes for Scoot.

How does Keyonte get to Allstar+ level? What does a fringe All-NBA Keyonte George look like?
I bought a boat.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:12 pm

eminence wrote:How does Keyonte get to Allstar+ level? What does a fringe All-NBA Keyonte George look like?

Beal
eminence
RealGM

Post#18 » by eminence » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:25 pm

EvanZ wrote:
eminence wrote:How does Keyonte get to Allstar+ level? What does a fringe All-NBA Keyonte George look like?

Beal

Mmkay, makes sense. Folks comparing the two are hoping Keyonte can be an elite scoring option.

I'm probably a decent amount lower than that on actual Beal, but I can see the idea.

Yeah, I guess I don't see that with Keyonte, which explains why I've got him a pretty clear tier below Scoot.
I bought a boat.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#19 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:10 pm

george was straight trash to end the season. i still like his upside, but damn i would have liked to see him to play better in games.
Big J
General Manager

Post#20 » by Big J » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:26 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:george was straight trash to end the season. i still like his upside, but damn i would have liked to see him to play better in games.

It was his coach. He was being held back. I would just just ignore those games tbh.

Return to NBA Draft