Bilal Coulibaly

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Re: Bilal Coulibaly 

Post#101 » by Big J » Thu Jun 8, 2023 5:33 pm

It would be cool if the spurs traded up to get a 2nd first rounder and get this dude. Either way I don’t see him lasting past OKC at 12. He’s the exact archetype that Presti always drafts.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,413

Post#102 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 8, 2023 5:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Because you all agree with each other :lol:

That's not the case at all. These past 2 pages in this thread, the thoughts/opinions are all over the place.

Yes all over whether he should be 2 or 5 :lol:

Capn'O wrote:I'd have him 8-12.

To which Hal And1'd. So the two posters you're addressing as sheep don't fit your sheep criteria.

Like, two posters have him Top 5. There's a pretty wide range of opinions on this guy.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Post#103 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 5:49 pm

Capn'O wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:That's not the case at all. These past 2 pages in this thread, the thoughts/opinions are all over the place.

Yes all over whether he should be 2 or 5 :lol:

Capn'O wrote:I'd have him 8-12.

To which Hal And1'd. So the two posters you're addressing as sheep don't fit your sheep criteria.

Like, two posters have him Top 5. There's a pretty wide range of opinions on this guy.

And clyde said he isn't quite sold on him in the 9-12 range..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#104 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 8, 2023 6:12 pm

Next you'll tell me you're not all literally sheep, but actual humans.

Lay off the personal attacks.
-Duke
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#105 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jun 8, 2023 6:24 pm

EvanZ wrote:Next you'll tell me you're not all literally sheep, but actual humans.

So what’s your beef with him?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 687

Post#106 » by The Servant » Thu Jun 8, 2023 6:46 pm

Big J wrote:It would be cool if the spurs traded up to get a 2nd first rounder and get this dude. Either way I don’t see him lasting past OKC at 12. He’s the exact archetype that Presti always drafts.

Came in to say hope Presti drafts him and I could see us pulling the trigger if he's available. I expect him or Derrick Lively if they are still there, Presti loves long ones.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,450

Post#107 » by Nuntius » Thu Jun 8, 2023 7:14 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Next you'll tell me you're not all literally sheep, but actual humans.

Well, it's definitely not wingspan :wink: Because, as we know:

EvanZ wrote:Basketball is a game of inches.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#108 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jun 8, 2023 7:19 pm

Nuntius wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

:lol:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#109 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 8, 2023 8:33 pm

Nuntius wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

That's the irony of course. Everyone slobbering over his wingspan in this thread and the same people (you) in the Podz thread saying wingspan doesn't matter. :lol: :banghead:

I have Bilal around 20-22 or so right now. And that's only because the talent really drops off around there. This kid has surged literally in his last 5-10 games. Right now there's some physical tools and not a whole lot else to go on (unless you slavishly worship Givony or Spinella apparently).

DYODD
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Nuntius » Thu Jun 8, 2023 8:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:So what’s your beef with him?

That's the irony of course. Everyone slobbering over his wingspan in this thread and the same people (you) in the Podz thread saying wingspan doesn't matter. :lol: :banghead:

I have Bilal around 20-22 or so right now. And that's only because the talent really drops off around there. This kid has surged literally in his last 5-10 games. Right now there's some physical tools and not a whole lot else to go on (unless you slavishly worship Givony or Spinella apparently).

DYODD

1) Neither I nor anyone else in that thread ever said that wingspan doesn't matter. Literally everyone agreed that the more wingspan a player has, the better it is. What people were saying was that wingspan isn't everything and that a prospect can be successful even without having an elite wingspan. And that how much wingspan matters for each individual prospect depends on their player type and skill set. No one ever claimed that wingspan didn't matter. You simply ignored all this nuance and created a strawman argument to rail against.

And, frankly, you seem to be doing this again right now. You seem to enjoy being a contrarian.

2) Yes, Bilal has absolutely surged in his last 5-10 games. It's like excelling in high pressure playoff games against professional competition is something people take into account when evaluating a prospect. Such a wild thought.

This is what I posted in this thread 3 days ago:

Nuntius wrote:His draft stock is definitely on the rise and it makes a lot of sense. He is currently playing in the playoffs in his league and he's producing at a level that wasn't expected of him earlier in the season. He is showing constant growth. Scouts and teams love to see that so, yeah, it makes sense why he's picking up steam.

Yes, his draft stock is shooting way up. No, it's not a surprise. It's what happens when players excel in these kind of situations. It happens all the time with NCAA prospects that have amazing tournament runs. The difference between these prospects and Bilal is that Bilal is doing it in a professional league and he's also playing a role that is immediately projectable to his NBA career. So, yeah, none of this is really a shock.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#111 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 8, 2023 10:05 pm

Nuntius wrote:2) Yes, Bilal has absolutely surged in his last 5-10 games. It's like excelling in high pressure playoff games against professional competition is something people take into account when evaluating a prospect. Such a wild thought.

Or it's random small sample size theater, wild thought.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Nuntius » Thu Jun 8, 2023 10:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Nuntius wrote:2) Yes, Bilal has absolutely surged in his last 5-10 games. It's like excelling in high pressure playoff games against professional competition is something people take into account when evaluating a prospect. Such a wild thought.

Or it's random small sample size theater, wild thought.

It could be. That is why scouts and draft experts warn against getting too hung up on great March Madness runs. But producing when it matters the most is definitely never seen as a negative. It's always a positive, what changes is how much one buys it and whether they believe it can translate.

The point is that there IS a reason for this surge. People didn't just start hyping him up for no reason. It was Bilal's actions (performing at a high level during a playoff run) that caused this reaction. Now, you (and everyone else) is free to choose whether they want to buy into this hype or not. I'm definitely not saying that everyone should buy Bilal as a top 10 pick.

What I'm saying is that pretending to not understand why he has surged is, well, not a great idea.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,413

Post#113 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 8, 2023 10:51 pm

It's not a random sample at all. It's his only meaningful body of work as a pro. He's an 18 yo kid who was playing U21 and dominating and then started getting meaningful minutes in the pros midseason. From there, it took him a few games and then he played well towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. Look at his game log. There are a bunch of 5 minute outings bogging down his stats.

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/player/244764/bilal-coulibaly/games
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#114 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 1:04 am

You made my point for me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#115 » by mattao313 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 6:32 am

Hopefully he's not a bust like all the other recent French prospects lmao.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#116 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:03 pm

mattao313 wrote:Hopefully he's not a bust like all the other recent French prospects lmao.

(except Wemby lol)

But yeah the history of French picks since Tony Parker has not been great.
Big J
General Manager

Post#117 » by Big J » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Hopefully he's not a bust like all the other recent French prospects lmao.

(except Wemby lol)

A lot of the late first round Frenchmen have been solid, Bobo, Rudy, Batum. It’s just the lotto dudes have sucked.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#118 » by Ferulci » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:35 pm

Big J wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

(except Wemby lol)

A lot of the late first round Frenchmen have been solid, Bobo, Rudy, Batum. It’s just the lotto dudes have sucked.

Yup, Diaw,Batum,Gobert,Fournier all have/had successful NBA career, far exceeding their draft position average value. It's when we get close to the top that it gets complicated. Asides from Joakim Noah, it's been bust after bust. And don't get me started on the Ntilikina-Doumbouya-Hayes bust trinity that were supposed to takeover the French National team after the Gobert/Fournier generation.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Big J
General Manager

Post#119 » by Big J » Fri Jun 9, 2023 4:02 pm

Ferulci wrote:
Big J wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
(except Wemby lol)

Yup, Diaw,Batum,Gobert,Fournier all have/had successful NBA career, far exceeding their draft position average value. It's when we get close to the top that it gets complicated. Asides from Joakim Noah, it's been bust after bust. And don't get me started on the Ntilikina-Doumbouya-Hayes bust trinity that were supposed to takeover the French National team after the Gobert/Fournier generation.

Imagine how good Bobo would be in todays game. He’d be a Poor man’s Jokic on offense and a five tool defender. We never got to see a team give him the keys to the entire offense.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#120 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:59 pm

I mean he was the Draymond prototype

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to NBA Draft