Oso Ighodaro - Marquette

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Oso Ighodaro - Marquette 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:36 pm

at this point i'm convinced he's a draftable guy, very toolsy and high IQ, great passer, projects favorably as a modern day small ball 5. not sure if he's coming out this year or not (jr) but he's worth keeping on eye on.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Re: Oso Ighodaro - Marquette 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:21 am

I don't see it yet. A non-shooter without great size who doesn't rebound and is limited athletically – that's just a tough profile for the next level.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:26 am

The-Power wrote:I don't see it yet. A non-shooter without great size who doesn't rebound and is limited athletically – that's just a tough profile for the next level.

how is he limited athletically?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:40 am

high level IQ and passing for a big - look at this play today

Read on Twitter
The-Power
General Manager

Post#5 » by The-Power » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:45 am

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:I don't see it yet. A non-shooter without great size who doesn't rebound and is limited athletically – that's just a tough profile for the next level.

I mean, does he stand out to you? He's slow running the floor, he's not explosive in small spaces, he's not strong for a 5. Usually, 6'9 non-shooters whose best role is as a small-ball 5 should be elite or at the very least clear plus athletes. Clark, Achiuwa, Vanderbilt – these guys come to mind. I just don't see that in Ighodaro at all. He has a different profile with different strengths and weaknesses, but it's just tough for me to picture him in a consistent NBA role.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:46 am

looks like Vecenie agrees, not sure if good or bad

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:46 am

The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I mean, does he stand out to you? He's slow running the floor, he's not explosive in small spaces, he's not strong for a 5. Usually, 6'9 non-shooters whose best role is as a small-ball 5 should be elite or at the very least clear plus athletes. Clark, Achiuwa, Vanderbilt – these guys come to mind. I just don't see that in Ighodaro at all. He has a different profile with different strengths and weaknesses, but it's just tough for me to picture him in a consistent NBA role.

are we talking about the same Oso? im very confused here. he's a legitimately great athlete.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#8 » by The-Power » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:57 am

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

are we talking about the same Oso? im very confused here. he's a legitimately great athlete.

I'm surprised to read that. He never popped for me at all athletically and I never saw that as his game. I'm happy to go back and look at more tape but I'd be absolutely shocked if I suddenly came away with the feeling that he's a legitimately great athlete.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:39 am

The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:I mean, does he stand out to you? He's slow running the floor, he's not explosive in small spaces, he's not strong for a 5. Usually, 6'9 non-shooters whose best role is as a small-ball 5 should be elite or at the very least clear plus athletes. Clark, Achiuwa, Vanderbilt – these guys come to mind. I just don't see that in Ighodaro at all. He has a different profile with different strengths and weaknesses, but it's just tough for me to picture him in a consistent NBA role.

I'm surprised to read that. He never popped for me at all athletically and I never saw that as his game. I'm happy to go back and look at more tape but I'd be absolutely shocked if I suddenly came away with the feeling that he's a legitimately great athlete.

he's highly mobile for a big and jumps well off two feet, don't see any athletic issues at all tbh, maybe 'great athlete' is hyperbolic but I do think he's a + athlete, but would love to hear your thoughts if u watch more

he's avging 21/11/6 per 100 poss with 5 stocks, the 17% usage + 19% assist rate for his archetype is really intriguing too, and he just does so many things well that don't register on the stat sheet, boxing out, screen setting, movements, all top tier at collegiate level and it's why he's been so impactful for this Marquette team...and is BBIQ is legitimately elite.

don't want to sound like I think he's a 1st rounder or anything tho, clear issues there, is a non-shooter, doesn't score outside 7-10 ft really, doesn't have center size obviously which makes very high risk in today's NBA so he's not a 1st rounder of course and probably not even a top45 but there are some really intriguing stuff there and would love to put him in the Warriors program/system and see what he can do.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:43 am

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:49 am

no idea who this Barlowe cat is but apparently he has him as a 1st rounder

some passing highlights, some Dray-level feeds in there

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#12 » by Hal14 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You've been known to overrate a player's athleticism before.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,086

Post#13 » by ItsDanger » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:27 pm

I don't see it. Has a C's game in an average PF body. Limited offensively. I see a bench player.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#14 » by Hal14 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

he's highly mobile for a big and jumps well off two feet, don't see any athletic issues at all tbh, maybe 'great athlete' is hyperbolic but I do think he's a + athlete, but would love to hear your thoughts if u watch more

he's avging 21/11/6 per 100 poss with 5 stocks, the 17% usage + 19% assist rate for his archetype is really intriguing too, and he just does so many things well that don't register on the stat sheet, boxing out, screen setting, movements, all top tier at collegiate level and it's why he's been so impactful for this Marquette team...and is BBIQ is legitimately elite.

don't want to sound like I think he's a 1st rounder or anything tho, clear issues there, is a non-shooter, doesn't score outside 7-10 ft really, doesn't have center size obviously which makes very high risk in today's NBA so he's not a 1st rounder of course and probably not even a top45 but there are some really intriguing stuff there and would love to put him in the Warriors program/system and see what he can do.

People said the same thing about Trevion Williams last year.

Being a big man who can make flashy passes doesn't cut it - you need more than that.

Fortunately, for Oso, he is younger than Trevion was, more mobile, younger. A better, more versatile defender who can actually switch onto the perimeter (as opposed to getting cooked on the perimeter) so he has a shot.

It'll be interesting to see if he declares. I've got him as a mid to late 2nd rounder at the moment.

He has a pretty good face-up game too. Can take his man off the bounce, with an array of moves, soft touch near the basket. He's good at reading the defense and when he starts attacking off the bounce, if they double him then boom, he hits the open man, if they don't double him, he scores. So the face up moves + touch + passing ability at that size at age 20 definitely make him a top 60 guy, IMO..

If he can get stronger, improve the mid range jumper and just keep working at his all-around game, his upside is being a Bam type of player. Which would be a steal in the mid to late 2nd round.

If he's smart, he should be studying the sh*t out of Bam Adebayo film.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#15 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:58 pm

I think he is in that Jaylin Williams tier - high SRP and a likely long term bench guy. Liked Jaylin a bit more since he had a in-progress jumper and that absurd knack for taking charges. But Oso is a better athlete for sure.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Post#16 » by Big J » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:05 pm

If Ben Simmons can’t get burn as a non shooter and a plus athlete on a max deal I don’t see it happening for this kid either.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:16 pm

Hal14 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:I'm surprised to read that. He never popped for me at all athletically and I never saw that as his game. I'm happy to go back and look at more tape but I'd be absolutely shocked if I suddenly came away with the feeling that he's a legitimately great athlete.

Being a big man who can make flashy passes doesn't cut it - you need more than that.

Fortunately, for Oso, he is younger than Trevion was, more mobile, younger. A better, more versatile defender who can actually switch onto the perimeter (as opposed to getting cooked on the perimeter) so he has a shot.

It'll be interesting to see if he declares. I've got him as a mid to late 2nd rounder at the moment.

He has a pretty good face-up game too. Can take his man off the bounce, with an array of moves, soft touch near the basket. He's good at reading the defense and when he starts attacking off the bounce, if they double him then boom, he hits the open man, if they don't double him, he scores. So the face up moves + touch + passing ability at that size at age 20 definitely make him a top 60 guy, IMO..

If he can get stronger, improve the mid range jumper and just keep working at his all-around game, his upside is being a Bam type of player. Which would be a steal in the mid to late 2nd round.

If he's smart, he should be studying the sh*t out of Bam Adebayo film.

don't really care to spend too much time discussing what I think is a 2nd rounder, but there is a difference between a big man that can pass and a big man that can be a legitimate inside-out playmaking hub and a guy like Oso who can take the ball the full 92.

otherwise more or less agree here.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:44 pm

these guys reading my posts or what?

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:04 am

simple plays but actually difficult for a lot of bigs to make, from the screen, to the DHO, to the roll...NBA level things that won't show up on the stat sheet

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:58 pm

Hal14 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:I'm surprised to read that. He never popped for me at all athletically and I never saw that as his game. I'm happy to go back and look at more tape but I'd be absolutely shocked if I suddenly came away with the feeling that he's a legitimately great athlete.

Nobody said Trevion was mobile :lol:

These are two completely different archetypes. Oso is an actual defensive prospect who can pass. Trevion could pass and that was literally all he could do. The hope for Oso is something like Draymond Green. I'm not saying he's Draymond Green...but that's his path to being an NBA role player. Unless he learns how to shoot, he needs to be a small ball 5 that isn't a complete zero on offense.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft