Justin Edwards

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Justin Edwards 

Post#1 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:24 pm

I apologize if there's a thread on him already. I didn't see one when I searched. Please merge if there is one

We need to have a discussion about this kid. I'm guilty of believing this draft class has some potential and isn't weak like so many are saying and Edwards supposedly being great goes a long ways towards defending my position. Well, is he great? I'm not so sure. I don't know if it's because Calipari's system caters to guards or what but Edwards is just kinda going through the motions out there. He gets his boards and hustle scores and occasionally a fast break layup/dunk or put back but very little else. He just wanders around looking for scraps. I almost never see him hitting outside shots

And he's listed at 6'8" by scouts and many have him as being a top 1-3 pick in mock drafts. I'm sorry, but he's not 6'8". I'm not sure he's 6'7". And if he's really a top 3 talent than I'm dead wrong and this class sucks! I see the potential but to me he's looking borderline top 10.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Re: Justin Edwards 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:31 pm

He might be 6'8" but looks more like 6'7" to me.

I don't really see him as a top 10 pick. I have him at 12 right now, and this is a weaker draft at the top so in a typical draft he'd be a few spots lower than that.

It's still early in the season - perhaps he'll get better and make more impact as the season goes on - he could end up top 10 on my board - you never know.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:45 pm

i don't think he's anywhere near a legit 6-8 tbh, looks more in the 6-6 range to me, and that's going to be the key for him as a prospect, completely changes his archetype and trajectory.

i will say, when was the last time a Kentucky wing did anything? Kentucky are where wings go to die. we just saw it with Chris Livingston.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,259

Post#4 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:53 pm

I was optimistic about Justin Edwards coming into the season. Maybe he's taking some time to adjust. So far, I haven't seen him do anything that Kelly Oubre didn't do at Kansas. I'm not seeing much creation off the dribble. I'm not seeing much passing. The shooting hasn't been there for him either.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
crows2
Senior
And1: 560

Post#5 » by crows2 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:i don't think he's anywhere near a legit 6-8 tbh, looks more in the 6-6 range to me, and that's going to be the key for him as a prospect, completely changes his archetype and trajectory.

i will say, when was the last time a Kentucky wing did anything? Kentucky are where wings go to die. we just saw it with Chris Livingston.

Yeah wings have historically done very poorly at Kentucky. Keldon Johnson was probably the last decent one. Terrific school for guards, terrible for wings, 50-50 for bigs.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:09 am

crows2 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i don't think he's anywhere near a legit 6-8 tbh, looks more in the 6-6 range to me, and that's going to be the key for him as a prospect, completely changes his archetype and trajectory.

Yeah wings have historically done very poorly at Kentucky. Keldon Johnson was probably the last decent one. Terrific school for guards, terrible for wings, 50-50 for bigs.

yup, Chris Livingston, Bryce Hopkins, Cam Fletcher, Brandon Boston, Kahlil Whitney, Keon Brooks, you can keep going down the list...not a single one other than Keldon Johnson in the last half a decade did anything once they got to Kentucky...and all these guys were at least top 50 recruits in their classes, most of them 5*.

no idea why any top tier wings still go to Kentucky but here we are
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,718

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:29 am

I’m not really sold on him being a lotto pick. I just don’t really see what he does at a high level and I don’t see any major ++ areas when it comes to his physical traits. Like others have said, he doesn’t look all that big and it’s not like he’s some huge + athlete either.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s some undraftable guy, just not seeing a lotto guy.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:37 am

should be noted also that he's already 20
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Post#9 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:33 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I’m not really sold on him being a lotto pick. I just don’t really see what he does at a high level and I don’t see any major ++ areas when it comes to his physical traits. Like others have said, he doesn’t look all that big and it’s not like he’s some huge + athlete either.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s some undraftable guy, just not seeing a lotto guy.

Me neither. He's 12 on my board right now, but that's because this is a weaker class at the top. He'd be at least a few spots lower in a different class. And I may move him lower than 12 soon too..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,718

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:00 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I’m not really sold on him being a lotto pick. I just don’t really see what he does at a high level and I don’t see any major ++ areas when it comes to his physical traits. Like others have said, he doesn’t look all that big and it’s not like he’s some huge + athlete either.

Me neither. He's 12 on my board right now, but that's because this is a weaker class at the top. He'd be at least a few spots lower in a different class. And I may move him lower than 12 soon too..

Ya good point, he may end up around lotto for me just from lack of other options.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,978

Post#11 » by BigGargamel » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:34 pm

If you're talking about potential you'll go with someone like Cody Williams, Risacher, Buzelis, etc. He's already 20 years old and just kind of a guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the lottery all together. Might have to prove himself like a Jalen Johnson.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#12 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Dec 2, 2023 7:18 am

BigGargamel wrote:If you're talking about potential you'll go with someone like Cody Williams, Risacher, Buzelis, etc. He's already 20 years old and just kind of a guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the lottery all together. Might have to prove himself like a Jalen Johnson.

agreed. It just goes to show you that the talking head scouts that most on here get their opinions from, that had him in the running to go #1, are jokes and should never be references. If you're judging players and draft classes off what you read on The Stepien, The Athletic, or The Ringer, maybe stop? That's how you end up overrating the 2023 class and underrating the 2024 class and it's just not a good look.

Return to NBA Draft