Opinions please.

Tank for Topic?
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,643

Re: With the 1st pick in the 2024 NBA draft, Charlotte Hornets select X 

Post#3 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 3, 2024 5:37 am

A good read on Nikola Topic. How is the biggest Serbian beast since Jokic not perfecto for the Hornets roster?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/187oddl/my_thoughts_on_nikola_topic/?rdt=33072
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#4 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:16 am

Cody Williams seems like the best fit for the Hornets imo.

Miller is already showing he can be a legit scorer in this league. Now imagine adding a similar player who can also play that 3&D role. While Cody is not the scorer Miller is I think he has more upside as a defender.

Charlotte can create their own Tatum/Brown or Kawhi/PG wing duo for the future. Not saying Miller/Cody would be those guys but they have the potential to be those kind of wings.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#5 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:20 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Cody Williams seems like the best fit for the Hornets imo.

Miller is already showing he can be a legit scorer in this league. Now imagine adding a similar player who can also play that 3&D role. While Cody is not the scorer Miller is I think he has more upside as a defender.

Charlotte can create their own Tatum/Brown or Kawhi/PG wing duo for the future. Not saying Miller/Cody would be those guys but they have the potential to be those kind of wings.

Haven't looked at him. I will try to keep open minded to him. But I confess I'm an early decider. I just see Topic as the mastermind player every modern offense thirsts for. He's like LaMelo but sporting a legit NBA IQ.
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#6 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:28 am

MasterIchiro wrote:

Haven't looked at him. I will try to keep open minded to him. But I confess I'm an early decider. I just see Topic as the mastermind player every modern offense thirsts for. He's like LaMelo but sporting a legit NBA IQ.

So who plays sg?
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#7 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:37 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

So who plays sg?

Honestly you need the more polished decision-maker for PG. To me it's Topic.

If talking Scoot it's LaMelo at this point.

I just want brains and NBA readiness.
It has been written...
FarBeyondDriven
Starter
And1: 1,497

Post#8 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Feb 3, 2024 9:31 am

For Ball (and most chucking heliocentric guards that play no defense) to work he needs a PnR partner which he has in Williams and 3 and D surrounding him. Right now he's got Miller who can play the 3/4. So getting another should be their priority. Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Walter and Williams are all candidates. Pros and cons to each.
BAMAFREAK
Rookie
And1: 1,387

Post#9 » by BAMAFREAK » Sat Feb 3, 2024 2:54 pm

They just need to get rid of Lamelo. Build around B Mill and Mark and this years top pick
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 18,396

Post#10 » by Hal14 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:35 pm

You don't draft for fit with the number 1 pick.

Best Player available.

BPA is Holland, imo. Pairing Holland and Miller together would allow the hornets to have something similar to Tatum/Brown or PG/Kawhi, like you say.

Holland is the better prospect than Cody, imo.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#11 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:42 pm

Hal14 wrote:

You don't draft for fit with the number 1 pick.

Best Player available.

BPA is Holland, imo. Pairing Holland and Miller together would allow the hornets to have something similar to Tatum/Brown or PG/Kawhi, like you say.

Holland is the better prospect than Cody, imo.
Draft Holland then.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,636

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:59 pm

i'd probably see if there is a trade down opportunity, maybe for two of the better 3 OKC picks (Houston/Utah). OKC doesn't really need to swing 3 times with how many young guys they have on the roster while Charlotte should probably take a couple of swings instead of hoping whoever they take at #1 hits with no clear #1 guy.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,199

Post#13 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:51 pm

I mean, it's basically any of the top guys that aren't a high usage PG. Risacher, Walter, Williams, maybe Reed, hell depending on how you view Sarr he might be an option to pair with Mark Williams.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter
And1: 1,062

Post#14 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Feb 3, 2024 9:20 pm

The Hornets probably need everything as it's not clear LaMelo or Mark Williams can survive in the NBA.

Just take the best guy available (Cody Williams)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 15,381

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 10:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:i'd probably see if there is a trade down opportunity, maybe for two of the better 3 OKC picks (Houston/Utah). OKC doesn't really need to swing 3 times with how many young guys they have on the roster while Charlotte should probably take a couple of swings instead of hoping whoever they take at #1 hits with no clear #1 guy.

I like that idea. As-is I might go Holland for Charlotte and just let Bridges go. There's no clear #1 here, and another wing prospect to go next to LaMelo that can replicate some of what Bridges offers as a lob threat could be good (+cutting), the issue is "just" the shooting.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,680

Post#16 » by GoBobs » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:33 pm

Probably not going to get the number 1 pick, but draft Zach Eddy and plan to surround him with shooting.

LaMelo
M. Bridges/N Smith
B Miller
PJ Washington
Zach Edey/M Williams

If Bridges leaves find better shooter to replace him with. Need to find a backup pg and some bench guys in free agency, through draft or trades.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:33 pm

GoBobs wrote:Probably not going to get the number 1 pick, but draft Zach Eddy and plan to surround him with shooting.

LaMelo
M. Bridges/N Smith
B Miller
PJ Washington
Zach Edey/M Williams

If Bridges leaves find better shooter to replace him with. Need to find a backup pg and some bench guys in free agency, through draft or trades.

Did you just time travel from 1995?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,680

Post#18 » by GoBobs » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:22 am

EvanZ wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Probably not going to get the number 1 pick, but draft Zach Eddy and plan to surround him with shooting.

LaMelo
M. Bridges/N Smith
B Miller
PJ Washington
Zach Edey/M Williams

Things are going to swing back the other way eventually. Edey is going to be a problem to guard in the league where he has way more space to operate. Steph Curry isn't in this draft.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,392

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:32 am

GoBobs wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

LaMelo
M. Bridges/N Smith
B Miller
PJ Washington
Zach Edey/M Williams

Things are going to swing back the other way eventually. Edey is going to be a problem to guard in the league where he has way more space to operate. Steph Curry isn't in this draft.

But there is also the flipside to this though. Edey is going to be asked to defend more space and that isnt going to go well at all. Also what team is building their offense around a low post only player in today's NBA? And the thing is if you dont build your offense around him and have him be high usage, then he definitely wont be worth having out there because again he is going to get abused on the defensive end.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:39 am

GoBobs wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

LaMelo
M. Bridges/N Smith
B Miller
PJ Washington
Zach Edey/M Williams

Things are not swinging back unless there are major rule changes. Edey is not nearly good enough offensively to build, well, an offense around him. His handle is not very good and he's not a great passer.

Again, this isn't 1995. And Edey is no Shaq anyway.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft