G Leauge Ignite finished?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,222

Re: G Leauge Ignite finished? 

Post#21 » by EvanZ » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:06 am

shakes0 wrote:11 players have been drafted out of Ignite. the only one even close to developing into a good player is Kuminga and you could argue that only happened because he spent the last two years learning how to basketball from a franchise like Golden State.

It is an absolute and total failure.

Dyson Daniels is actually pretty good. Scoot is on a good track as well.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,216

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:26 am

shakes0 wrote:11 players have been drafted out of Ignite. the only one even close to developing into a good player is Kuminga and you could argue that only happened because he spent the last two years learning how to basketball from a franchise like Golden State.

It is an absolute and total failure.

out of the 11, only 4 lotto picks, Scoot, Green, Minga and Daniels.

just a completely irrelevant sample size at this point.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,011

Post#23 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:44 am

Braggins wrote:I think the GLeague has the potential to be the best development path for elite recruits if done right. I hope they don't scrap the idea all together and instead look for a better way to do it.

Slightly related, but I like how the narrative about the GLeague (as it relates to the draft) last year was that the GLeague was too easy and you cant trust any numbers the Ignite guys put up there, but now a year later we've fully come around to people admitting that actually the GLeague is too difficult for 18/19 year olds to compete on their own and the entire thing might have to be scrapped because of it.

Didn’t that have more to do with the Thompson twins being in overtime elite and less about ignite?

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve been really surprised by the struggles of the ignite team. I figured the top prospects would come in and dominate a bunch of 2nd rounders and undrafted guys. Especially cuz I’ve seen Deuce McBride and Jacob Toppin drop 40 point games in westchester and Deuce is a 10 man at best.

At worst I’d would have expected to be competitive every night like the overmatched college teams of freshmen but this squad gets run off the floor every night. Guess it’s easy to forget how those young teams rarely win in college and expecting them to win against semi pros was overly optimistic. I think they’ll try to imagine it before they get rid of it but there needs to be some drastic changes cuz it’s not really working.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
clyde21
RealGM

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:13 am

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I think the GLeague has the potential to be the best development path for elite recruits if done right. I hope they don't scrap the idea all together and instead look for a better way to do it.

Slightly related, but I like how the narrative about the GLeague (as it relates to the draft) last year was that the GLeague was too easy and you cant trust any numbers the Ignite guys put up there, but now a year later we've fully come around to people admitting that actually the GLeague is too difficult for 18/19 year olds to compete on their own and the entire thing might have to be scrapped because of it.

Didn’t that have more to do with the Thompson twins being in overtime elite and less about ignite?

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve been really surprised by the struggles of the ignite team. I figured the top prospects would come in and dominate a bunch of 2nd rounders and undrafted guys. Especially cuz I’ve seen Deuce McBride and Jacob Toppin drop 40 point games in westchester and Deuce is a 10 man at best.

At worst I’d would have expected to be competitive every night like the overmatched college teams of freshmen but this squad gets run off the floor every night. Guess it’s easy to forget how those young teams rarely win in college and expecting them to win against semi pros was overly optimistic. I think they’ll try to imagine it before they get rid of it but there needs to be some drastic changes cuz it’s not really working.

18 and 19 year olds will never dominate 24 and 25 year olds no matter how good they are and how "fringe" the 25 year olds are. those guys they are playing against were all great college players and have at some point played in real professional basketball at the highest levels.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,585

Post#25 » by MemphisX » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:22 am

The G League has more older players with lots of NBA experience. No way a team with 4-6 teenagers is supposed to be good in that environment.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,011

Post#26 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:25 am

clyde21 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

18 and 19 year olds will never dominate 24 and 25 year olds no matter how good they are and how "fringe" the 25 year olds are. those guys they are playing against were all great college players and have at some point played in real professional basketball at the highest levels.

Oh yeah, I definitely had unreasonable expectations from the team when it started. It seems like the NBA, or at least silver is pretty surprised by the lack of success as well. So me being caught off guard by it isn’t completely unfounded.

Sioux Falls is the best g league team this year and they’re being lead by Alondes Williams and Josh Christopher. Both of whom were both guys I liked coming out of the draft but neither of them I would consider college stars. Even with them being like 5 years older than the g league guys, I figured they’d hang a little bit better than they have.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
clyde21
RealGM

Post#27 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:36 am

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

Oh yeah, I definitely had unreasonable expectations from the team when it started. It seems like the NBA, or at least silver is pretty surprised by the lack of success as well. So me being caught off guard by it isn’t completely unfounded.

Sioux Falls is the best g league team this year and they’re being lead by Alondes Williams and Josh Christopher. Both of whom were both guys I liked coming out of the draft but neither of them I would consider college stars. Even with them being like 5 years older than the g league guys, I figured they’d hang a little bit better than they have.

Sioux Falls would go undefeated in college and win the NCAA by a margin of 20 each game lol

everyone single one of those guys was a college starter and high level producer...and they are a couple of years older now and even better. it wouldn't even be close.

Jamal Cain was a 20/10 in college.

Alondes Williams 18/6/5

Cole Swider 14/8

Justin Champaigne 18/11

Jamaree Bouyea 17/5/4

Josh Christopher was 14/5 as a freshmen, he'd be a monster today if he was still playing in college lol

Caleb Daniels 14/5/4

and so on
clyde21
RealGM

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 am

people really underestimate the filter to get the the next level of basketball...EVERY single player this GL team is playing against was a AT LEAST a multi-year starter in the NCAA, a 1AD, or a multi-year NBA vet. 18 yr olds are not gonna do well against that.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,912

Post#29 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 am

MemphisX wrote:The G League has more older players with lots of NBA experience. No way a team with 4-6 teenagers is supposed to be good in that environment.

This is why it may seem like I get angry when discussing the Ignite. People keep spouting lies about the G-League talent. They really think the league is full of bums and not former all-America/All-Conference performers like Luka Garza, Alondes Williams, Ashton Hagans, Kenneth Faried, Ethan Thompson and Jarrett Culver.

The growth of the international game plus the G-League itself has actually made it harder to make the NBA than ever in my opinion. That's why so many are begging for expansion.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,192

Post#30 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm

What does any of this have to do with them struggling in the NBA early in their career? I think that has more do with them discontinuing it then the Ignite team losing games.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!

Return to NBA Draft