Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Xand1
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Xand1 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:00 pm

For Minnesota:

Rose
Beasley
Jordan (maybe over Beasley by the end of the year).
Greene (ditto /\)
Mayo

I'm not that high on Beasley on the Wolves. There, I said it, crucify me if you want. Too many red flags, and high scoring 3/4 tweeners with suspect defense just don't do it for me. Give me a stud PG like Rose any day and twice on Sunday.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:26 pm

shane5153 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

the only guard i would consider to take over mayo is Rose...what other guards would you take over him?

Gordon is wayyy ahead of Mayo, imo. I'd also take Bayless ahead, and I'd consider Collison if I wanted a pure PG. I would take Mayo over Buddinger, though.
shane5153
Freshman

Post#23 » by shane5153 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:41 am

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gordon is wayyy ahead of Mayo, imo. I'd also take Bayless ahead, and I'd consider Collison if I wanted a pure PG. I would take Mayo over Buddinger, though.

Your opinion is different than mine but thats cuz i like mayo a whole lot but thats ok
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#24 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:02 am

Gordon and Mayo bring different things to the floor. A major thing to consider is Gordon is 6'2, 6'4 if lucky. He is a very good shooter, but is not a prospect for the 1, which makes him a Ben Gordon (funny how the names work out) prospect. Mayo on the other hand is 6'5 and IMO has better all-around skills than Gordon. Perhaps being a poor-man penny or a Hughes with a jumper. It is just a personal desire of whose skill set you prefer for what you are trying to do.

Ruzious--being of wizards fame I believe. drafted a shooter in Young. But the skill set of a Gordon is similar to that roll perhaps. It also can be that undersized gunners are a fetish for wizard fans. Arenas was considered one (but has a much high BBIQ and overall skill then Gordon IMO) where as Shane--of wolves fame, sees the need for a playmaker in mayo when we have shooters in Foye and McCants.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 am

revprodeji wrote:Gordon and Mayo bring different things to the floor. A major thing to consider is Gordon is 6'2, 6'4 if lucky. He is a very good shooter, but is not a prospect for the 1, which makes him a Ben Gordon (funny how the names work out) prospect. Mayo on the other hand is 6'5 and IMO has better all-around skills than Gordon. Perhaps being a poor-man penny or a Hughes with a jumper. It is just a personal desire of whose skill set you prefer for what you are trying to do.

Ruzious--being of wizards fame I believe. drafted a shooter in Young. But the skill set of a Gordon is similar to that roll perhaps. It also can be that undersized gunners are a fetish for wizard fans. Arenas was considered one (but has a much high BBIQ and overall skill then Gordon IMO) where as Shane--of wolves fame, sees the need for a playmaker in mayo when we have shooters in Foye and McCants.

First thing - you don't want to stereotype Zards fans. If you've gone to our board, you know there's all kinds there, and the only thing you'll get close to a consensus on there is that Brendan Haywood is tremendously underrated.

Back to Gordon - it's a mistake to call him just a shooter. While he is a legitimately great shooter, he's a scorer - like Arenas - and that's a big difference. Gordon gets to the line at a VERY high rate. He is an extremely efficient scorer. You don't see 1.8 PPS lines from guys who are just shooters.

Yes, he's short at 6'4 and not real long, but he's not small. He's a strongly built 220 with great hops, strength, and athleticism. Dwayne Wade plays the 2 with the same limitations, and he's not too shabby.

Btw, I'm not a big fan of Young's. The Wiz board is split on him. Some absolutely love him. He has pretty much everything physically - he just needs to get stronger, but that should come. He can create his offense, but he's primarily a shooter. The problem with him is that he's just a bit too laid back and doesn't play with a high IQ (I'm trying to be nice.). I don't think these are concerns with Gordon.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#26 » by go'stags » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 pm

1-Jordan
2-Gordon
3-Beasley
4-Rose
5-Mayo
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#27 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:30 pm

revprodeji wrote:Gordon and Mayo bring different things to the floor. A major thing to consider is Gordon is 6'2, 6'4 if lucky. He is a very good shooter, but is not a prospect for the 1, which makes him a Ben Gordon (funny how the names work out) prospect. Mayo on the other hand is 6'5 and IMO has better all-around skills than Gordon.

Gordon's been listed as tall as 6'5", and some that have seen Mayo in person have said that 6'5" seems like a generous measurement for him. Size really shouldn't be brought up as a selling point for one over the other in this comparison.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shane5153
Freshman

Post#28 » by shane5153 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:57 pm

When mayo played for team usa he was officially measured as 6'5 so don't worry about mayo he's taller than gordon
horaceworthy
Head Coach

Post#29 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:25 pm

That was 6'5" with shoes, with average wingspan/standing reach for his height. Gordon wasn't measured there, so you can't use that as proof that Mayo is taller than Gordon. We'll learn all the official measurements in Orlando, but it wouldn't be a shock if Gordon came in at about the same height as Mayo, with better standing reach/wingspan measurements.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shane5153
Freshman

Post#30 » by shane5153 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:37 pm

horaceworthy wrote:That was 6'5" with shoes, with average wingspan/standing reach for his height. Gordon wasn't measured there, so you can't use that as proof that Mayo is taller than Gordon. We'll learn all the official measurements in Orlando, but it wouldn't be a shock if Gordon came in at about the same height as Mayo, with better standing reach/wingspan measurements.

Iv heard from numerous scouts that gordon could be 6'3 if he's lucky
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:25 pm

shane5153 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Iv heard from numerous scouts that gordon could be 6'3 if he's lucky

He just turned 19 last month, so perhaps he grew an inch after those scouts told you he was 6'3.
horaceworthy
Head Coach

Post#32 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 pm

That's just speculation though, the sort of "heard from a bird" type of it that Shooter over at the Pioneer Press and half of the media reports that come from New York engage in. If you want to take it as gospel, that's fine.

The real concern is that so much stock is being put in a hypothetical two inch difference for a backcourt player. As I said in my response to rev, size really shouldn't be a selling point for one over the other in this comparison.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#33 » by LPKingsFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:39 pm

I just saw Mayo in person last week. He's not 6-5. He's barely as tall as Stanford's Anthony Goods, who is listed at 6-3.

Don't believe the hype.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And by the end of the year, Collison's teammate - Russell Westbrook - might look like a better pro prospect than Mayo - though the folks at draftexpress.com don't seem to like him a whole lot and probably think I'm crazy.
bigballajohn
Senior
And1: 21

Post#35 » by bigballajohn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Beasley
Gordon
Rose
Jordan
Mayo
VooDoo7 wrote:
emunney wrote:A horse walks into a bar. It turns to Mason Plumlee and says, "Why the long face?"

Frank the Tank scoffs at both of them.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#36 » by DanTown8587 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:45 am

Rose
Beasley
Jordan
Mayo
Gordon
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#37 » by Jose7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 am

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Bayless
4. Gordon
5. Jordan
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#38 » by giberish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am

Beasley
Rose
Gordon
Hibbert
Jordon
IndoorOutdoor
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#39 » by IndoorOutdoor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:25 am

Beasley
Jordan
Rose
Bayless
Gordon
Sephiroth
Senior
And1: 88

Post#40 » by Sephiroth » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Minnesota | Derrick Rose
Miami | Michael Beasley
Seattle | DeAndre Jordan
Memphis | Eric Gordon
New York | OJ Mayo

Minnesota takes Rose because of positional need. A Foye/Rose backcourt sets Minnesota at the guard spots for 10 years. Minnesota needs to lose McCants and Telfair, both have me-first attitude.

Miami takes Beasley because he fills a need at the SF position. Wade and Beasley will make a great scoring tandem. DeAndre is still too raw to pair up with Wade.

Seattle takes DeAndre Jordan because the guy is going to be a monster.

Memphis takes Eric Gordon because he's the best SG in the draft and it fills a need at SG.

New York takes OJ Mayo at 5 because Isiah is a genius... :D

Return to NBA Draft