Gotta question for JonathanG and whoever else

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#21 » by ISB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:40 pm

I've never really watched Randolph play. (Portland isn't on TV very much.) From what I understand, wouldn't a rich man's randolph be something like Carlos Boozer?

so then, how does Beasley compare to Carlos Boozer?
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#22 » by hcsilla » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 pm

Beasley is quicker, a better ballhandler especially at driving from outside (although he rarely uses it), Boozer is bigger, more of a classical PF.

Beasley is a rich man's Antawn Jamison, IMO.
JoeT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#23 » by JoeT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:34 am

hcsilla wrote:Beasley is quicker, a better ballhandler especially at driving from outside (although he rarely uses it), Boozer is bigger, more of a classical PF.

Beasley is a rich man's Antawn Jamison, IMO.

Let's hesitate a bit before we say he's a RICH man's version of a career 20-8 player on 46%/35%/73% shooting. Beasley hasn't even played a game in the NBA yet. He's hardly played a handful of games at the college level against players who will ever play in the NBA. Jamison's put up those numbers for ten seasons. And Jamison does a lot of things at the NBA level better than Beasley does at the college level.

I personally tend to agree that Beasley compares pretty favorably to Jamison in terms of style of play and projected effectiveness, more so than Zach Randolph for example, but calling him a rich man's version of him? Not even saying if he completely maximizes his ceiling he can become a rich man's version, but claiming he already is? Come on now...
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Post#24 » by bigballa3jj » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:43 am

ISB wrote:I've never really watched Randolph play. (Portland isn't on TV very much.) From what I understand, wouldn't a rich man's randolph be something like Carlos Boozer?

so then, how does Beasley compare to Carlos Boozer?

randolph plays for the knicks
ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#25 » by ISB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 am

bigballa3jj wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

randolph plays for the knicks

I'm aware of that bud, but prior to this season he played with Portland. nonetheless, this current variety of the knicks doesn't make TV much either, big market or not.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#26 » by hcsilla » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:57 am

Right, I meant, he will be a rich man's Jamison although IMO, he has the talent to reach Jamison's level quickly and more because of his quickness and better rebounding skills.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,397

Post#27 » by magee » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:33 pm

He doesn't have Jamison's shot out to 3. He can shoot it from 3, but he's going to used down low more and on the high post. Jamison spots up in the corner more than the common power forward. Beasley's talents would be rotting away if he spent the same amount of time spotting up in the corner like Jamison does.
JoeT
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by JoeT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:08 pm

magee wrote:He doesn't have Jamison's shot out to 3. He can shoot it from 3, but he's going to used down low more and on the high post. Jamison spots up in the corner more than the common power forward. Beasley's talents would be rotting away if he spent the same amount of time spotting up in the corner like Jamison does.

I personally expect his offensive role to be extremely similar to Jamison's, to be completely honest. He needs to be kept near the basket on defense to make use of his excellent rebounding ability, which is why he's better suited at power forward than small forward. In addition, he's more competent defending the post than the perimeter and his perimeter skills are more useful when matched up against power forwards than small forwards. As for his inside skills on the offensive end, I don't think they'll translate to the pros as well as his outside skills will. He's not going to score 40 points in the pros by going up against NBA big men down low. It's not Winston-Salem. He'll get his share of post looks, and will be a force on the offensive glass, as is Jamison, but I think he'll do most of his damage facing up from the 10-20 foot range and spotting up from 15 feet and out, with some deep shot consistency that he's capable of improving on, like Jamison does. He's a versatile player that can be used from all areas on the floor on the offensive end, and I think he can cause some matchup problems and get his production in a lot of ways, as does Jamison. I personally see things the opposite of the way you do, and respectfully disagree, in that I think Beasley's talents would be wasted by keeping him in the paint on the offensive end.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,979

Post#29 » by UGA Hayes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:09 pm

I actually like the Randolph comparison alot, perceptive considering their vastly different physical profile. Jamison isn't bad either, aside from character concerns Its just that Jamison has such a unique style around teh basket even if in the ends it has the same effect.

To rjovedi (sp?) on second thought you are right, Mccants wasn't really that bad compared to Beasley.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#30 » by revprodeji » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm

rev (as in reverend)

Prodeji (as in an alternative spelling of prodigy)

I agree. Thanks.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#31 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:30 pm

I agree with Red Progenerate, McCants isn't a bad seed anymore
Xand1
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#32 » by Xand1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Jonathan, can I pose another question to you:

What are your thoughts on Rose? I think the kid is an amazing talent, but that he's not necessarily in the best situation to show people the extent of his abilities given Memphis' goofy offense and overall talent level. His numbers aren't amazing, but I'm not sure how much to read into that because his team keeps winning without needing him to go big and their offense doesn't seem to be very conducive to producing big assist numbers. Wouldn't you be worried about a guy who looked for his own shot when his team was winning by 15+ points? Where does this leave us when it comes to evaluating his star potential?

I'm another 'Sota fan, and I really think that Rose could be awesome on our team, but I'm having a hard time honestly evaluating him on that team. I just have this hunch that he could blow up in an NBA that seems to be changing to allow dominance by explosive slashers. Thanks, I love reading your takes!
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#33 » by realball » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:27 pm

I think Beasley could be a SF. I probably haven't seen enough of Beasley, but I think he is somewhat like Melo, and I think his strength will make him a big mismatch as a 3 in the NBA, just like Melo. I don't think he would be a great rebounder on the pro level, just like Melo. The PF position is the most stacked position in the league, and I think Beasley would struggle fighting for position against guys three inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.
JoeT
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by JoeT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm

realball wrote:I think Beasley could be a SF. I probably haven't seen enough of Beasley, but I think he is somewhat like Melo, and I think his strength will make him a big mismatch as a 3 in the NBA, just like Melo. I don't think he would be a great rebounder on the pro level, just like Melo. The PF position is the most stacked position in the league, and I think Beasley would struggle fighting for position against guys three inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.

I envision Beasley as more of a face-up PF from the 15-foot range than a post-up power forward. In terms of rebounding and boxing out, I don't see Beasley having troubles battling against the power forwards of the league. I don't see him being below average in the strength department at that position. And defensively, I have little doubt that Beasley's strength defending the post is less of a concern than his quickness defending the perimeter. Plus, there's less running around defending power forwards than there is small forwards. I don't see Beasley having much fun chasing guys through screens on a consistent basis.

I was watching the Suns last night, and watching Amare operate facing up from the 15-foot range, that's definitely something I can see Beasley consistently doing. The NBA is so much more spaced out with the deeper three-point line, and that'll let Beasley be an even better player in that 10-18 foot range, which is already probably his most effective area on the floor in college. His jumper is money from that area and he can put the ball on the floor for one quick dribble going to the hoop. That's a lot of what Amare's offensive game is, and that's the way I see Beasley being most effective on a consistent basis at the next level. I don't think his first step is quite as explosive as Amare's to be honest, but he's still going to be able to take advantage of most power forwards this way, as he has the athleticism to consistently take guys from there. I'm not comparing him to Amare as a complete player in the least sense, but that offensive niche could work well for Beasley.

And I see no reason to think Beasley won't be a very good rebounder in the pros just because Melo isn't.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#35 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:52 pm

I've stated this before but Charles Barkley is the player Beasley reminds me most of. Supurb inside outside game with outstanding rebounding skills and punk attitude.

Barkley was blessed to have come into the league onto a Sixers team loaded with veteran talent. He had Dr. J, Moses Malone, Mo Cheeks, Bobby Jones among others to keep him in line. It was a veteran, disciplined and well coached team.

I fear Beasley won't be so lucky and be able to keep being a coddled, immature jerk. I can't see any potential lottery team where he'll land in a good situation unless the Hawks miss the playoffs and the Suns get him with their pick.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to NBA Draft