Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

DeVon Hardin - DX Vs Draft.net 

Post#1 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:58 pm

This is why I love these sites. Take a look at the two latest pieces on Hardin:

DX: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NCA ... -Part-Two/

Draft.net: http://www.nbadraft.net/stockwatch039.asp

The reason I love it is because DX has a piece saying how much DeVon has improved and Draft.net has a piece saying how much he has regressed. And they were both written on the same day!!

I think it really illustrates how one mans opinion can differ from the others.

What are the posters opinion of Hardin? I'm yet to see him play but have a lot of interest in his game. From what I read, he sound like a more agressive Emeka Okafor. Maybe a mix between Okafor and (a heathy) Keynon Martin?
B B M F 'ers
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 pm

I think moshe enjoys being contradictory to nbadraft.net. NBA scouting is a real dog eat dog world :D
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#3 » by revprodeji » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Put him next to a strong offensive 4 and Hardin will have a very good career.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
JonathanG
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#4 » by JonathanG » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:56 pm

I think what this really illustrates is the difference between the way the two sites scout players. The things that are emphasized in the process, talking about roles that guys will be expected to play, and the managing of expectations that plays a big role in what we do.

Read and judge for yourself:

DX:

It
J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#5 » by J_Ray » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:41 am

Hardin missed a lot last year, and wasn't that much improved from the previous year IMO. He's a defensive minded C and that's all he'll ever be, not an offensive juggernaut. I thought Hardin could be a lotto pick eventually when I saw him his sophomore year, but he just doesn't have an offensive game. I could see him being a taller version of Ben Wallace when it's all said and done.
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
JoeT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#6 » by JoeT » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:53 am

J_Ray wrote:Hardin missed a lot last year, and wasn't that much improved from the previous year IMO. He's a defensive minded C and that's all he'll ever be, not an offensive juggernaut. I thought Hardin could be a lotto pick eventually when I saw him his sophomore year, but he just doesn't have an offensive game. I could see him being a taller version of Ben Wallace when it's all said and done.

Tyson Chandler is probably a better comparison, considering Hardin has shown no indications he can consistently impact a game defensively even close to the way Ben Wallace did in his prime.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#7 » by Cruel_Ruin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 am

He will look great next to Spencer Hawes in a Kings uniform next year :nod:
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#8 » by Milkdud » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:25 am

Cruel_Ruin wrote:He will look great next to Spencer Hawes in a Kings uniform next year :nod:

I hope your not implying that hawes is a good offensive 4 at this point...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#9 » by BigSlam » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:03 am

JoeT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Tyson Chandler is probably a better comparison, considering Hardin has shown no indications he can consistently impact a game defensively even close to the way Ben Wallace did in his prime.

Is he that strong of a rebounder?
B B M F 'ers
JoeT
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by JoeT » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:22 am

BigSlam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is he that strong of a rebounder?

To quote what Jon said in his write-up:

"Another encouraging sign we
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#11 » by Cruel_Ruin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:23 am

Milkdud wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hope your not implying that hawes is a good offensive 4 at this point...

Are we thinking of the same Spencer Hawes? The kid can score, already showing a smooth midrange J (and three point shot even at times), and once he bulks up, he'll be able to hold his position in the post and show some of that slick footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ7LSqOYzdo
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#12 » by jman3134 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:26 am

Personally, I think that regardless of his athleticism and rebounding numbers, he does not deserve a shot at the lottery. I think DX and net are right in their own ways of analysis. Hardin may develop into a nice role player/productive rebounder off the bench. But, that does not take away from the fact that his post game is pretty underdeveloped. Still, this doesn't mean he can't succeed at the NBA level. Look no further than Michael Ruffin or Ben Wallace early in his career to see guys with virtually no offensive input, but a strong impact on the game. I do not see the same tremendous potential that I did earlier in his career, but I do think that Hardin could be a productive role player, suitable for a 20- first round pick.
bill curley II
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by bill curley II » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:42 pm

jman3134 wrote:Personally, I think that regardless of his athleticism and rebounding numbers, he does not deserve a shot at the lottery. I think DX and net are right in their own ways of analysis. Hardin may develop into a nice role player/productive rebounder off the bench. But, that does not take away from the fact that his post game is pretty underdeveloped. Still, this doesn't mean he can't succeed at the NBA level. Look no further than Michael Ruffin or Ben Wallace early in his career to see guys with virtually no offensive input, but a strong impact on the game. I do not see the same tremendous potential that I did earlier in his career, but I do think that Hardin could be a productive role player, suitable for a 20- first round pick.

You wouldn't take Ben Wallace with a lotto pick???

Anyways, I've seen Hardin play alot - went to Cal and still follow them. One of the most impressive things about him is his ability to guard perimeter players, like Ben in his prime. As mentioned in that DX article, he held his own against Beasley, and in the past, I've seen him D up guys like Hassan Adams and Andre Igoudala on switches in the perimeter and stay with them with ease.
I don't think he's going to be a great shot blocker at the next level b/c he doesn't protect the basket as well as he should, and is much better at blocking his man's shot instead. But I think if Sean Williams warranted a mid first round pick after basically not playing for a year, DeVon definitely warrants at least consideration for a late lotto spot.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,808

Post#14 » by giberish » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:20 pm

The two reports sound like they're discribing the same player but with different expectations.

DX went in not sure if he was a 1st round pick, but saw that he had improved his effectiveness as a defensive/rebounding center and now looked to be a solid mid/late 1st round pick.

NBAdraft.net went in expecting (or at least hoping) that he had developed into a go-to player perhaps taken in the top ten and was disappointed in his mearly being an effective defensive/rebounding center likely taken in the mid/late 1st round.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#15 » by jman3134 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 pm

bill curley II wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You wouldn't take Ben Wallace with a lotto pick???

Anyways, I've seen Hardin play alot - went to Cal and still follow them. One of the most impressive things about him is his ability to guard perimeter players, like Ben in his prime. As mentioned in that DX article, he held his own against Beasley, and in the past, I've seen him D up guys like Hassan Adams and Andre Igoudala on switches in the perimeter and stay with them with ease.
I don't think he's going to be a great shot blocker at the next level b/c he doesn't protect the basket as well as he should, and is much better at blocking his man's shot instead. But I think if Sean Williams warranted a mid first round pick after basically not playing for a year, DeVon definitely warrants at least consideration for a late lotto spot.

Hardin is no Ben Wallace. And, I would say that there was a reason Wallace wasn't selected in the first round coming in. He improved his game before coming into the league- proving everyone wrong.
bill curley II
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by bill curley II » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:04 pm

jman3134 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hardin is no Ben Wallace. And, I would say that there was a reason Wallace wasn't selected in the first round coming in. He improved his game before coming into the league- proving everyone wrong.

I agree Hardin isn't a Ben Wallace, just making the point that if he can make that type of impact in the NBA, he should be a lotto pick easily.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#17 » by big3_8_19_21 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:46 am

How's Dalembert as a comparison?
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
JoeT
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by JoeT » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:05 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:How's Dalembert as a comparison?

I believe that's who Jon compared him to in a conversation I had with him, but I think Hardin's probably less of a shot-blocker than Dalembert and more of a rebounder. Once again, leading to the Tyson Chandler comparison, as Chandler is less of a shot-blocker than Dalembert and more of a rebounder.
MYoung23
Junior

Post#19 » by MYoung23 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:27 am

More athletic Dale Davis.
LPKingsFan
Starter

Post#20 » by LPKingsFan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 am

Cruel_Ruin wrote:He will look great next to Spencer Hawes in a Kings uniform next year :nod:

Was thinking the same thing. Hardin will be a fine pick with whatever mid-late pick we get in the eventual Bibby trade.

And of course Hawes isn't a good offensive 4. He's a good offensive 5!

Return to NBA Draft