Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,861

Post#41 » by Stanford » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:04 am

treefi wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They are much closer statistically than you are making them out to be. Oden played 28.9mpg, Jordan is playing 21.4mpg.

If Jordan played 28.9mpg this is what his stats would project to...

Oden - 15.7ppg - 9.6rpg - 3.3bpg - 61.6%
Jordan - 14.2ppg - 9.7rpg - 1.6bpg - 75.3%

... and don't act like an extra 7.5mpg completely skews the projection for Jordan. It's very realistic to think he would be able to play at the same level as he does in the 21.4 minutes in the extra 7.5 minutes..

Oden would have been the #1 pick in 90% of drafts in history... It's not crazy at all to think Jordan could go #1 in 2008. He actually looks to be slightly farther along offensively.

You think maybe there's a reason Jordan only plays 21 minutes a game?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#42 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 am

moocow007 wrote:Honestly, Oden is more fluid, he's stronger, he seems to have a better feel for the game and IMHO he's more athletic. Jordan as a Dwight Howard clone? Don't see it at all. Jordan is a bit mechanical while Dwight Howard is just on another plane in terms of size and athleticism combo. And that's not taking into account Howards drive which Jordan really hasn't shown much of. Too many people appear to be taking nbadraft.net's rather outlandish Dwight Howard comparison and going with it with a head of steam which is just a bit wild.

BINGO!!

Oden was also a lot more assertive and a lot smarter.

Jordan the next Howard? I don't think so.
Jordan the next Bynum. Not even.
Jordan the next Chandler? He wont be as good on the boards.

Jordan is the next Dalembert - except a much, much worse ft shooter.

Jordan has nothing on Oden.
B B M F 'ers
TyGibson
Junior
And1: 1

Post#43 » by TyGibson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:25 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Jordan is the next Dalembert - except a much, much worse ft shooter.

When I bump this and Jordan is in the elite centers talk, will I have to deal with the "Stop bumping old threads" complaint?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#44 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:44 pm

TyGibson wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When I bump this and Jordan is in the elite centers talk, will I have to deal with the "Stop bumping old threads" complaint?
Not from me. I have a feeling though that if that was to happen you'd be doing it becuase the quality of C's in the league had dropped off to such a point that all it took was to be tall to be any good!!

BTW - at the end of the day, Hibbert will be ranked higher than Jordan as far as elite C's are concerned IMO!!
B B M F 'ers
TyGibson
Junior
And1: 1

Post#45 » by TyGibson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:49 pm

BigSlam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not from me. I have a feeling though that if that was to happen you'd be doing it becuase the quality of C's in the league had dropped off to such a point that all it took was to be tall to be any good!!

BTW - at the end of the day, Hibbert will be ranked higher than Jordan as far as elite C's are concerned IMO!!

I understand the feeling, but I still wish i could bet money on this.

Jordan's biggest problem right now isn't his Ft, it's his turnovers when the defensive team doubles aggressively. This will take time for him to learn, but I have confidence he will.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#46 » by moocow007 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:54 pm

As far a C's go, my money is on Brook Lopez being the C in this draft that makes the most impact in the NBA. He's the most complete C right now and he has an NBA ready body (is much more athletic than Hibbert). He's tough, plays defense, has both an inside and outside game and seems to have that fire that great players have.
WillC
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#47 » by WillC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:33 pm

moocow007 wrote:As far a C's go, my money is on Brook Lopez being the C in this draft that makes the most impact in the NBA. He's the most complete C right now and he has an NBA ready body (is much more athletic than Hibbert). He's tough, plays defense, has both an inside and outside game and seems to have that fire that great players have.

I couldn't agree more.

I think he's one of the most underrated players in this draft class. Sure, everyone knows who he is, but a lot of lesser prospects are getting more hype than Lopez for some reason. As far as centers go, Lopez does everything that you want from your pivot.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#48 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:34 pm

I compared Jordan to Howard in high school, I then went on to say he likely couldnt add the weight Dwight has. Jordan is however worthy of the top pick and the player he most reminds me of is Aldridge.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#49 » by princeofpalace » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:29 pm

^
How does he remind you of Aldridge? Aldridge can hit a jumpshot out to an extended range. Jordan can dunk and thats about it.

Im not convinced that many of you have watched Deandre Jordan play at all. I- being a resident of Texas, and an Aggie fan have had the oppourtunity to watch Deandre Jordan both in game situations and when some members of the team are working out at the Rec. This kid is all hype, as many athletic 7 footers are.

Deandre Jordan is soft, he frequently gets abused by other players and has a tendency to foul. He has absolutely no offense outside of 5 feet, he can dunk, he's a dunking machine and can sometimes make the occasional hook shot, but ask the kid to do anything else and he cant do it. Add to that, that he shoots an abysmal free throw percentage.

I wish Jordan was on the same level as Oden, then Texas A&M wouldnt be on a 2 game losing streak to inferior teams- but he's not. Nowwhere near close to Oden like. Im not entirely sure that Jordan will enter the draft given how raw he is and the fact that A&M may continue to struggle. But if he does, he will be a project and the team will have to wait atleast 2 seasons to see anything out of him.

Kids putting up 10 & 7 and people are acting like he's the GOAT.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#50 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Jordan is however worthy of the top pick and the player he most reminds me of is Aldridge.

DeAndre Jordan???????
B B M F 'ers
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#51 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:57 am

BigSlam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

DeAndre Jordan???????

Yep. Simular body, simular games. Jordan will need to add the mid range jumper to get at Aldridge's level, but to me they are pretty simular.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#52 » by Jonathan Watters » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:16 am

PHysically, I think Aldridge and Jordan are pretty close. Jordan is more athletic, with Aldridge being less tenative. Both are still pretty soft, though.

Big difference is that Jordan can only dream of having Aldridge's immaculate skill on offense.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#53 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:31 am

Cammo101 wrote:I compared Jordan to Howard in high school, I then went on to say he likely couldnt add the weight Dwight has. Jordan is however worthy of the top pick and the player he most reminds me of is Aldridge.

I havent seen him so I don't know but Lamarcus Aldridge without a jumpshot doesn't sound like a player worthy of the number 1 pick.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#54 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:45 am

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I havent seen him so I don't know but Lamarcus Aldridge without a jumpshot doesn't sound like a player worthy of the number 1 pick.

Keep in mind Jordan is only a freshman. Dwight Howard was a thin athletic kid with little offensive game coming out of high school. It isn't about where Jordan is now, it is about where he can go. He is tall, athletic and had nice skills and a good basketball IQ. I see big things in his future.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#55 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:57 am

Not bashing Jordan, but the LMA comparison - doesn't Jordan get all his points 2 feet from the basket? Didn't LMA already have a midrange game at this point?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#56 » by BigSlam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:11 am

Plus LMA ran the floor with real purpose and intent - something that Jordan doesn't really do.

I see what you are saying Cammo about him being tall and athletic, but I seriously question his skills and basktball IQ. Oden got his points using drop steps, spins and up and unders. Jordan gets his points by being bigger than college kids.

Going into the draft the Kandi Man was tall and athletic too.
B B M F 'ers

Return to NBA Draft