Oden vs Jordan

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#21 » by revprodeji » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:04 pm

Jordan already has 30 pounds on Chandler, but if Chandler is his floor that sounds good to me. CHandler is putting up 12/12 this year
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
TyGibson
Junior
And1: 1

Post#22 » by TyGibson » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:16 pm

DaGoodz wrote:Oden was more developed on both the offense and defensive end, who knows how many points he would of averaged with a good wrist the whole season. Deandre has potential, but he isn't in Oden's league. Let me see Deandre help Texas A&M get to the Final Four first before I say they are similar

Dude,

Jordan is averaging 12 and 10 in half the game as well as shooting 75% from the field.

How exactly do you get "more developed offensively" than that? It's not like Oden was shooting the mid-range jumper or finger rolling the ball off the glass.
:crazy:
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#23 » by revprodeji » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:34 pm

If you guys are minnesota. With the 4 spot belonging to Al Jefferson but so empty at the 5 that Mike Doleac starts:

would you draft Jordan with the first overall? Could it at least be justified? We just need him to defend and rebound. Anything else is icing.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
shane5153
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#24 » by shane5153 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:45 pm

revprodeji wrote:If you guys are minnesota. With the 4 spot belonging to Al Jefferson but so empty at the 5 that Mike Doleac starts:

would you draft Jordan with the first overall? Could it at least be justified? We just need him to defend and rebound. Anything else is icing.

We need to pick best player no matter what position...and i think Jordan has all the potential in the world. Right now he is number two on my draft board but could very well be number one by the end of the year. Hopefully he starts to get more playing time as the season goes on. Beasley had a very ood game yesterday to (he's number one on my draft board)
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#25 » by hcsilla » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:13 pm

I wouldn't draft Jordan with #1.

He is way behind of Oden. Oden is more athletic, had a more fluid movement, a bigger offensive arsenal.

Jordan is a legit top10 prospect, but no way that I pick him ahead of Rose, Gordon and Beasley, no matter Al Jefferson is better at PF or not.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#26 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:30 pm

revprodeji wrote:If you guys are minnesota. With the 4 spot belonging to Al Jefferson but so empty at the 5 that Mike Doleac starts:

It is more than justified, it is just smart drafting. It will come down to Jordan and Rose, and you almost always have to go big in that situation. Jordan is the perfect style of big man to play with Al and he wouild fill the Wolves biggest need. Rose would be good as well, but with Telfair playing ok and Foye eventually coming back, you have to go Jordan.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#27 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It is more than justified, it is just smart drafting. It will come down to Jordan and Rose, and you almost always have to go big in that situation. Jordan is the perfect style of big man to play with Al and he wouild fill the Wolves biggest need. Rose would be good as well, but with Telfair playing ok and Foye eventually coming back, you have to go Jordan.

I disagree. You're almost always better off taking BPA especially at the top of the draft. If you draft Jordan #1 it has to be because you think he is a franchise center.
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by DaGoodz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm

TyGibson wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Dude,

Jordan is averaging 12 and 10 in half the game as well as shooting 75% from the field.

How exactly do you get "more developed offensively" than that? It's not like Oden was shooting the mid-range jumper or finger rolling the ball off the glass.
:crazy:

Nice way to skew Jordan's stats. lololol
Hes only averaging 10 and 7. Where do you get 12 and 10, is that your imaginery numbers for him if he played starter minutes? its not hard to shoot 75% from the field when you dont play a lot of minutes. Oden started the season shooting 90% last year, big wooop
TyGibson
Junior

Post#29 » by TyGibson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm

DaGoodz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hes only averaging 10 and 7. Where do you get 12 and 10, is that your imaginery numbers for him if he played starter minutes? its not hard to shoot 75% from the field when you dont play a lot of minutes. Oden started the season shooting 90% last year, big wooop

I was looking at three players in college and misquoted the stats but saying it's "not hard: to shoot 75% when you don;t play a lot of minutes is ridiculous.

Who else is doing it, dood. Someone real, not someone "imaginery."
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#30 » by treefi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:38 pm

They are much closer statistically than you are making them out to be. Oden played 28.9mpg, Jordan is playing 21.4mpg.

If Jordan played 28.9mpg this is what his stats would project to...

Oden - 15.7ppg - 9.6rpg - 3.3bpg - 61.6%
Jordan - 14.2ppg - 9.7rpg - 1.6bpg - 75.3%

... and don't act like an extra 7.5mpg completely skews the projection for Jordan. It's very realistic to think he would be able to play at the same level as he does in the 21.4 minutes in the extra 7.5 minutes..

Oden would have been the #1 pick in 90% of drafts in history... It's not crazy at all to think Jordan could go #1 in 2008. He actually looks to be slightly farther along offensively.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#31 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:03 am

[quote="treefi"][/quote]

No he does not look further along.... Oden was on 1 HAND.....
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by DaGoodz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:50 pm

[quote="treefi"][/quote]

I never said Jordan couldn't go #1 in this draft, I just saw people comparing Jordans play to Oden's like they were close. And IMO they ain't. Jordan is a nice prospect but he isn't anywhere close to Oden's impact last year. If Texas A&M makes it to the final four this year with clutch plays by Jordan, then I might think there is a debate. But I don't put much into looking at a players numbers when he comes off the bench. Look at Marvin Williams, they did the same thing overhyping him at North Carolina and he only looks like a average player in the NBA
TyGibson
Junior

Post#33 » by TyGibson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:06 pm

I never said Jordan couldn't go #1 in this draft, I just saw people comparing Jordans play to Oden's like they were close. And IMO they ain't. Jordan is a nice prospect but he isn't anywhere close to Oden's impact last year. If Texas A&M makes it to the final four this year with clutch plays by Jordan, then I might think there is a debate. But I don't put much into looking at a players numbers when he comes off the bench. Look at Marvin Williams, they did the same thing overhyping him at North Carolina and he only looks like a average player in the NBA

Where are you getting that he comes off the bench?

he gets only 20 minutes because he starts, they blow teams out, then he sits.

They're averaging almost a 23 point margin of victory in their 15 wins.
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by DaGoodz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:27 pm

I heard he use to come off the bench at the beginning of the year, if he doesn't I apologize for the wrong info
TyGibson
Junior

Post#35 » by TyGibson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:47 pm

DaGoodz wrote:I heard he use to come off the bench at the beginning of the year, if he doesn't I apologize for the wrong info

Yeah, he may have at the beginning of the year.

I'm not saying he will be as good as ODen, but that he has a shot at being as strong a rebounder and perhaps better offensively but that he won't be the on the ball defender Oden is.

Oden appears to be one of those rare centers that can get blocks off of his primary assignment, Jordan does not.

That said, I would pick him number one unless something crazy happens
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#36 » by _BBIB_ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 am

Some people are making it seem like Oden single handedly carried the Buckeyes.

They were a great team before he even played that year and honestly they were a more effective team at times when he couldn't stay out of foul trouble.

If he was so meaningful to that team, they never would have made the Finals because that was the only game he didn't get in foul trouble.

I think it's a poor comparison for DeAndre with that said simply because he doesn't have the knack for the ball defensively that Oden possesses. He's also not a freak of nature athletically like Dwight Howard.

I think Bynum is a great comparison.
$*DIPSET BOI*$
Senior

Post#37 » by $*DIPSET BOI*$ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:59 am

Jordan isn't in the same orbit as Oden in college. I agree that Bynum is a
good comparison
Arroyo30
Junior

Post#38 » by Arroyo30 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm

deandre jordan will be your classic nba bust
The Lakeshow baby!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#39 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:05 am

Honestly, Oden is more fluid, he's stronger, he seems to have a better feel for the game and IMHO he's more athletic. Jordan as a Dwight Howard clone? Don't see it at all. Jordan is a bit mechanical while Dwight Howard is just on another plane in terms of size and athleticism combo. And that's not taking into account Howards drive which Jordan really hasn't shown much of. Too many people appear to be taking nbadraft.net's rather outlandish Dwight Howard comparison and going with it with a head of steam which is just a bit wild.
SoHo
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by SoHo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm

DeAndre Jordan isn't as developed as Oden was last year. Watching both players you should see that and through the numbers you should see that.

To inflate Jordan's numbers "as if" he played 7 more minutes isn't telling anything. He doesn't play those 7 minutes and no matter whether you think he could put up similar numbers his coach isn't playing him for a reason, probably a reason that is vastly more informed than yours.

Jordan has the raw ability to become a great NBA center, but he hasn't shown as much as Oden did last year. If the two were truly comparable then Jordan would be close to the consensus number one pick (at least locked in the top two) this year.

But if you put him alongside Al Jefferson in Minnesota that has the potential to be a killer tandem, certainly seems to fit better than Beasley.

Return to NBA Draft