Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Big Slam's early, early mock 

Post#1 » by BigSlam » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:52 am

I have commented on others so it is only fair that I put my (very early) version forward:

1 - Wolves: Jordan
Jordan's shot blocking with compliment Jefferson's offense

2 - Heat: Beasley
Will make or break Flash wanting to stick around when his contract is up

3 - Knicks: Rose
Nate isn't a true PG and Rose becomes the instant leader of the pack

4 - Grizzles: Hibbert
Darko is bench fodder at best, Sto's deal is almost done. At best they get a super skilled big man who will really help the development of Gay's game. At worse they get some Gasol insurance.

5 - Sonics: OJ Mayo
Move KD to the 3, Green to the 4 and have Mayo help with the scoring load and ball movement.

6 - Clippers: Bayless
Cassell is old, Knight is old, Livingston is an unknown. The Clipps take who they think is the best PG

7 - Bobcats: DJ Augustin
They have a serious hole at the point and the 5 and address it with the bpa at one of the two positions. He'll push Felton to start or at worse, provide a point tandem like the Raps have.

8 - Bucks: Chase Budinger
They need a SF and Chase gives them that. His much improved D this year will be a help

9 - Kings: Greene
Will play between the 3 and 4 and provide scoring and rebounding. I like the idea of Martin and Greene and think they compliement each other in a way that Allen and Lewis did with the Sonics.

10. Bulls: Gordon
I don't think that the Bulls will keep Ben Gordon and Eric Gordan will be his replacement (same sort of player but cheaper)

11. Sixers: Love
Need a talented 4 to play next to Dalembert and allow Iggy to leak out on the break with his superb outlet passing.

12. Cavs: Brook Lopez
Z is getting old and is on the decline. Lopez will team with Verajeo to form a pretty nice front court.

13. Jazz: Thabeet
Jazz need a true shot blocker.

14. Rockets: Batum
With T-Mac breaking down again and Batier growing older, Batum provides an injection of youth and potential at both ends of the floor

15. Nets: Lawson
How much longer with Kidd be in Jersey? Even if he has a few years left there, they don't know if M.Williams is the one to take over the point when the Kidd era is done.

16. Pacers: Collison
Denier isn't the answer to the Pacers point problems and Collison adds some on ball D.

17. Raptors: Hardin
Get a quality, mature grunt C to play next to Bosh.

18. Wizards: Hansborough
A future replacement for Thomas and will bring super intensity and energy.

19. Suns: Ogilvy
They need some size in the paint and Ogilvy is a true 7 footer who has a whole lot of skills.

20. Warriors: Ibulka
If this kid lives up to the hype, then Beans and Ibulka would be an awesome front court partnership

21. Blazers: Gallinari
They are pretty set and deep at most positons but could use a quality SF.

22. Nuggets: Rush
Adds some depth................and lets face it - the chances of JR Smith being there next season is slim!!

23. Mavs: Walker
A lot of the Mavs wings are getting on in age. They get the steal of the draft with Walker this low.

24. Lakers: Jawai
The get a player with probably more ability and potential than Kwame but get him 23 picks further down.

Still working on the balance of picks.

Bash away!!
B B M F 'ers
asdf1223
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by asdf1223 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:16 am

small correction:we own the suns pick
also i thought we pick 3 as we have a record worse than grizzlies and knicks... is the lottery sternized already?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Big Slam's early, early mock 

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:16 am

BigSlam wrote:I have commented on others so it is only fair that I put my (very early) version forward:

1 - Wolves: Jordan
Jordan's shot blocking with compliment Jefferson's offense

2 - Heat: Beasley
Will make or break Flash wanting to stick around when his contract is up

3 - Knicks: Rose
Nate isn't a true PG and Rose becomes the instant leader of the pack

4 - Grizzles: Hibbert
Darko is bench fodder at best, Sto's deal is almost done. At best they get a super skilled big man who will really help the development of Gay's game. At worse they get some Gasol insurance.

5 - Sonics: OJ Mayo
Move KD to the 3, Green to the 4 and have Mayo help with the scoring load and ball movement.

6 - Clippers: Bayless
Cassell is old, Knight is old, Livingston is an unknown. The Clipps take who they think is the best PG

7 - Bobcats: DJ Augustin
They have a serious hole at the point and the 5 and address it with the bpa at one of the two positions. He'll push Felton to start or at worse, provide a point tandem like the Raps have.

8 - Bucks: Chase Budinger
They need a SF and Chase gives them that. His much improved D this year will be a help

9 - Kings: Greene
Will play between the 3 and 4 and provide scoring and rebounding. I like the idea of Martin and Greene and think they compliement each other in a way that Allen and Lewis did with the Sonics.

10. Bulls: Gordon
I don't think that the Bulls will keep Ben Gordon and Eric Gordan will be his replacement (same sort of player but cheaper)

11. Sixers: Love
Need a talented 4 to play next to Dalembert and allow Iggy to leak out on the break with his superb outlet passing.

12. Cavs: Brook Lopez
Z is getting old and is on the decline. Lopez will team with Verajeo to form a pretty nice front court.

13. Jazz: Thabeet
Jazz need a true shot blocker.

14. Rockets: Batum
With T-Mac breaking down again and Batier growing older, Batum provides an injection of youth and potential at both ends of the floor

15. Nets: Lawson
How much longer with Kidd be in Jersey? Even if he has a few years left there, they don't know if M.Williams is the one to take over the point when the Kidd era is done.

16. Pacers: Collison
Denier isn't the answer to the Pacers point problems and Collison adds some on ball D.

17. Raptors: Hardin
Get a quality, mature grunt C to play next to Bosh.

18. Wizards: Hansborough
A future replacement for Thomas and will bring super intensity and energy.

19. Suns: Ogilvy
They need some size in the paint and Ogilvy is a true 7 footer who has a whole lot of skills.

20. Warriors: Ibulka
If this kid lives up to the hype, then Beans and Ibulka would be an awesome front court partnership

21. Blazers: Gallinari
They are pretty set and deep at most positons but could use a quality SF.

22. Nuggets: Rush
Adds some depth................and lets face it - the chances of JR Smith being there next season is slim!!

23. Mavs: Walker
A lot of the Mavs wings are getting on in age. They get the steal of the draft with Walker this low.

24. Lakers: Jawai
The get a player with probably more ability and potential than Kwame but get him 23 picks further down.

Still working on the balance of picks.

Bash away!!

As much as I love Hibbert, I think he is a reach at 4 and doesn't fit into Ivaroni's uptempo offense. Brook Lopez is a better fit or they could go SG with Mayo or Gordon who do fit their style. I think Seattle would take Bayless over Mayo due to their need for a PG. Greene and Gordon fall too far, Love goes too early. If Hansbrough were to declare, he sure would not go ahead of Gallinari, which reminds me, no way Gallinari goes anywhere near this late. Good mock, just needs some tweaks IMO.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#4 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:55 am

To be honest, even though a C is the wolves need, I see them taking Beasley.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#5 » by Village Idiot » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:02 pm

LMAO at Jordan going number one. Talk about a project. 38% free throw shooter who's averaging 9.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and only 1.2 blocks.

I'm sorry but if you can't dominate at the college level with that kind of athleticism then you have no place in the NBA. Who was the last center drafted who didn't dominate at the NCAA level who went on become a decent NBA player?

This guy is the same type of eye-candy as Diop, Nene, Sene and Petro. I wouldn't bet my job on him panning out and I highly doubt Kevin McHale will either.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Wildfire
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Wildfire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Unless you are deciding the order by where you think the teams will be at the end of the year (where the Sixers at 11th is unfortunately realistic), the Sixers should actually be at 7th right now.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#7 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Can't believe Koufos is dropping that much, hopefully my Magic grab him because he'd be a massive steal.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#8 » by horaceworthy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:54 pm

I don't really see there being any way that Jordan goes #1, even if the Timberwolves have the #1 pick. He's just too much projection and not enough production. The last 3 mocks made have the Wolves picking Jordan at #1, when I'm not even sure he's Top 3, but he probably is Top 5.

I also don't see Gordon slipping to #10, or Gallinari falling like that either. Other than that, good mock.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
MalReyn
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#9 » by MalReyn » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Was going to make a post about Jordan going #1, but I see it's already been taken care of.

Anyway, Jordan's still too much of a project. Athletically he may remind people of Dwight Howard, but in actual basketball terms he's miles behind (Howard had better stats in the NBA at the same age).

Jordan should come back another year, and if he does choose to leave he won't be drafted that high.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#10 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Village Idiot wrote:LMAO at Jordan going number one. Talk about a project. 38% free throw shooter who's averaging 9.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and only 1.2 blocks.

I'm sorry but if you can't dominate at the college level with that kind of athleticism then you have no place in the NBA. Who was the last center drafted who didn't dominate at the NCAA level who went on become a decent NBA player?

This guy is the same type of eye-candy as Diop, Nene, Sene and Petro. I wouldn't bet my job on him panning out and I highly doubt Kevin McHale will either.

This is so wrong it is rediculous. Very few big men dominate as freshman. Jordan has all the skills to be a very good NBA player, he is just gonna take some time. No different than a great deal of freshman prospects.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#11 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:43 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Can't believe Koufos is dropping that much, hopefully my Magic grab him because he'd be a massive steal.

+1. hopefully he doesnt declare this season thou.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#12 » by djthesonicsfan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:14 pm

No way the Sonics pick OJ Mayo. Jerryd Bayless is the pick if Derrick Rose is already gone.
endemicBull
Pro Prospect
And1: 10

Post#13 » by endemicBull » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:24 am

I'll cry if the Bulls take Gordon, no more midget SG's! With that being said, thanks for posting, keep on updating...

Return to NBA Draft