Derrick Rose
46%
Ricky Rubio
54%

Total votes: 106

ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Re: Better Draft Prospect: Rubio or Rose? 

Post#21 » by ponder276 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:25 am

J~Rush wrote:
Indy07 wrote:This is coming from a kid who went to Oden's high school. I love Oden to death, he is an awesome guy, he's funny and he was amazing to watch in high school. However I wouldn't be that quick to appoint him heir to the throne of NBA centers. Some guy named Dwight Howard seems to be enjoying his reign

I'm just not impressed with Dwight Howard. It's mainly due to seeing one Joel Pzrybilla hold him to under ten points on average in the season series. Maybe he just had the flu when I watched him =/

Everyone has bad games, if you judge Dwight based only on 2 bad games out of a season of 82 mostly great games, that's a bit ridiculous, especially since Orlando won both games despite his apparently unimpressive play. Also, his first game against Portland his full statline was 9 points, 14 boards and 3 blocks, and the second game he put up 10 points, 14 boards and 4 blocks, so they weren't exactly terrible overall performances.

Anyways, Oden is clearly not a prospect who you can "honestly give a stonecold guarantee" that he will be the best in the league at his position. Even LeBron was questionable, since nobody in the league really knew what his position would be (as a prospect, many thought LeBron would be a super-sized PG, ala Magic Johnson).

/off topic
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#22 » by J~Rush » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:50 am

ponder276 wrote:
J~Rush wrote:
Indy07 wrote:This is coming from a kid who went to Oden's high school. I love Oden to death, he is an awesome guy, he's funny and he was amazing to watch in high school. However I wouldn't be that quick to appoint him heir to the throne of NBA centers. Some guy named Dwight Howard seems to be enjoying his reign

I'm just not impressed with Dwight Howard. It's mainly due to seeing one Joel Pzrybilla hold him to under ten points on average in the season series. Maybe he just had the flu when I watched him =/

Everyone has bad games, if you judge Dwight based only on 2 bad games out of a season of 82 mostly great games, that's a bit ridiculous, especially since Orlando won both games despite his apparently unimpressive play. Also, his first game against Portland his full statline was 9 points, 14 boards and 3 blocks, and the second game he put up 10 points, 14 boards and 4 blocks, so they weren't exactly terrible overall performances.

Anyways, Oden is clearly not a prospect who you can "honestly give a stonecold guarantee" that he will be the best in the league at his position. Even LeBron was questionable, since nobody in the league really knew what his position would be (as a prospect, many thought LeBron would be a super-sized PG, ala Magic Johnson).

/off topic

+1
e
AnSweR07
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by AnSweR07 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:07 am

His game reminds me of Steve Nash/ Pete Maravich. I think he's getting too overhyped right now. Shorter Magic Johnson? Comon now.. lets be real! I have to say.. I had really high expecations for him bc I keep hearing how good he is, but after watching his tape I'm kinda puzzled at what the fuss is all about. Yes he does have good feel for the game, knowing when and who to deliver the ball to at the right time. He also posseses a pretty good first step and decpetive speed to get into the lane. However, you have to remember the defense isnt nearly as quick or athletic as those in the NBA. THose gaps hes seeing in the spanish league are gonna close up alot quicker in the NBA which can neutralize his playmaking skills. He better be a damn good shooter like Nash to compensate for his lack of athleticism bc I rly dont see his game translating that well in the NBA.
dundundun
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#24 » by dundundun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:28 am

Lebron was a one-in-a-decade type of prospect.

Rubio is nowhere near that level of talent.

That said I love his game, but I think he'll be a little slowed down by NBA defenses. I see him making a few all-star games but never really being considered as equal to Paul/Deron....
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#25 » by Apollo64 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:07 pm

They are both great players, but also quite different. Rubio won't ever be an elite scorer in the NBA, he is more of a Jason Kidd-type facilitator, while Rose is a powerful slasher that may have a Dwayne Wade ceiling. I am giving the edge to Rose here.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#26 » by 5DOM » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:17 pm

i think i am more impressed with Rubio now than Rose in Memphis (not saying much since all i've seen of Rubio is a few youtube clips.

but i can easily see that he is really really talented. he's got amazing court vision+ basketball IQ.
and apparently he plays great D too.

maybe Rose's got higher ceiling because of his physical attributes, but i think Rubio's got better "chance" of becoming the better of the two.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#27 » by Jase » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:32 am

I take Rubio, easily. It's a bit ridiculous to say that you should take Rose just because he is a "proven American."
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#28 » by Jase » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:33 am

Remember, Tractor Traylor was a "proven American," and Milwaukee slept on Dirk Nowitzki...
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
j3yuen
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#29 » by j3yuen » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:30 am

his basketball IQ better be as good as it was hyped up to be because his highlight reels are definately unimpressive and that's sad... its hard to have an unimpressive highlight real... even sebastien telfair back in his hayday had an impressive mixtape on youtube...

Rose > Jennings > Rubio
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,411

Post#30 » by fleet » Wed Aug 6, 2008 11:09 pm

While we have all the traditional "prospect" data on Rose. We have nothing but Youtubes and anecdotes on Rubio. Great fun, but pure fantasy comparos. I'm waiting for the Rubio game eyeball tests, workouts and maybe even the summer league data that Rose has already gone through. You are all guessing. Most of us have just heard of this guy like last week and are flailing around in the dark without night vision. Spare the anecdotes
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#31 » by jman3134 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 10:24 pm

It's sad that people judge a player on his highlight reels. Maybe ACB basketball isn't as flashy? Same can be said about Olympic basketball. Does that make it any less potent? Highlight reels are completely useless because you cannot judge a player purely on his best moments. And Rubio has a lot of "best" moments- meaning he produces night in and night out in a professional league at 17 years of age. This and the way he has dominated his age group makes him one of the top European prospects ever without a doubt. Sure, his shooting has exhibited inconsistencies. That said, it is much improved throughout the years.

As for him or Derrick Rose: I would definitely give the edge to Rubio while qualifying that Rose is clearly the better athlete. Still, Rubio has proven much more at a higher level despite the differences in the European and NBA games. I think he will translate much better than most people are expecting- his flashy Pete Maravich like plays may attract fans and boast an organization. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see his matchup with the US, but I have to say that Rubio clearly has accomplished more Rose and will probably be the better NBA player.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#32 » by BarbaGrizz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:49 am

I think he´s the reign Top-PG of the ACB...that must tell you something...
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
swatsurfer
Junior
And1: 0

Post#33 » by swatsurfer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:18 am

According ESPN's Ford, he is now the candidate to the TOP pick in 2010 after how he played in the gold medal game.
I think Rubio's defense was very, very good in the olympics, his ballhndling and decision making was good and his shooting poor, he belonged there and was never owned, that's saying a lot for a 17 years old kid.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#34 » by rambo_ortega » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 am

this for me is the perfect rationale before the gold medal game against the USA.

a team who is close to competing in the playoffs would pick rose. but a rebuilding team would definitely go for rubio who is a boy wonder at 17.

but after that game:

Rubio is by far #1 over rose. he has shown that he can play well against the best at his position and at the biggest stage, not to mention that it is against a superior USA team who is looking to redeem themselves. and the best part is, he's only 17 yo.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#35 » by Vindicater » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 am

Its too hard to answer.

Euro ball and NBA ball are very different beasts.

It does not matter anyway, hes two drafts away from playing in the NBA. Really, who cares
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#36 » by RyGuy24 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 am

Vindicater wrote:Its too hard to answer.

Euro ball and NBA ball are very different beasts.

It does not matter anyway, hes two drafts away from playing in the NBA. Really, who cares

He will be eligible for next years draft.

Some people have said he wants to wait one more yeaer though. Of course, that's said alot but then many change their mind when that much money is staring them in the face.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#37 » by ClipperDomination » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:19 am

I think people still need to see more of Rubio to judge off of him. Vindicater made a great point that international basketball and college basketball are very contrasting style of play, so it's too early to judge a 17 year old kid at this point in time.

However, after watching him play in the Olympics, he does have the tools to become a top-notch NBA point guard. He hasn't put them all together, yet (at least from what I watched in the Olympics).

I need to see more of Rubio to compare him to Rose, so I'll refrain from doing so...for now.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,411

Post#38 » by fleet » Mon Sep 1, 2008 3:44 am

bald odds say that elite #1 overall level PGs don't come around in back to back years. Either Rubio and or Rose are overhyped in that... unless the emphasis on the PG position has truly gone through the roof and touted PGs are gonna go top 5 every year now just because. Or until 5 years from now we're all going remember those 2 busts Rose and Rubio we all were sure were the next whohas? what a laf!

lets just remember Eurohypes Darko and Bargnani and Skitishwhatever when dreaming about the overseas fantasy players. Seems like the best ones end up either unhyped or taken in the second round lower 1st while the golden boys go fzzzt. We get too nutty gushy over these mysterious Eurobeards. Not to mention Yi and Yao and Yo
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#39 » by ponder276 » Mon Sep 1, 2008 6:12 pm

fleetwood macbull wrote:bald odds say that elite #1 overall level PGs don't come around in back to back years. Either Rubio and or Rose are overhyped in that... unless the emphasis on the PG position has truly gone through the roof and touted PGs are gonna go top 5 every year now just because. Or until 5 years from now we're all going remember those 2 busts Rose and Rubio we all were sure were the next whohas? what a laf!

lets just remember Eurohypes Darko and Bargnani and Skitishwhatever when dreaming about the overseas fantasy players. Seems like the best ones end up either unhyped or taken in the second round lower 1st while the golden boys go fzzzt. We get too nutty gushy over these mysterious Eurobeards. Not to mention Yi and Yao and Yo

Because Yao was such a bust . . .

Also, a lot of current, good Euros were taken with mid to high firsts:
- Pau Gasol: 3rd overall, drafted straight out of Spain
- Dirk Nowitzki: 9th overall, drafted straight out of Germany
- Peja Stojakovic: 14th overall, drafted straight out of Greece
- Hedo Turkoglu: 16th overall, drafted straight out of Turkey
etc.
MagnusPinus
Analyst
And1: 148

Post#40 » by MagnusPinus » Tue Sep 2, 2008 4:12 pm

They are both terrific, but can't compare because Rubio is still too young. At 17 he has already demonstrated to be a competent professional player ,but it's clear that he is not mature, phisically and technically. Offensively especially he has to learn a lot, and I'm not only talking about his shot. Rose is a freak athlete,but good playmaking instincts. Tough to say who is going to be better.They play different ways. I'd take Rubio because I just saw him in the Olympics..when I'm watching Rose I will change my mind. :lol: It's like the debate Paul-Deron..u really don't know who is better.
GuyverADL wrote:
The only thing Curry will raise from the start of the season is his cholesterol.
People do not understand Curry's reason for wanting to be a ballerina. He wanted to be able to contort his body to be able to fit in the fridge.

Return to NBA Draft