Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Got my first look at Eric Maynor today 

Post#1 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:26 pm

He's a great looking young pg.

Is a pass first pg, with a nice shot, can penetrate nicely and even likes to talk a little junk out there. I know he's not from a big program but damn, he impressed me.
AnSweR07
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Got my first look at Eric Maynor today 

Post#2 » by AnSweR07 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:05 am

This is bit random but my friend has a class with him and he told me this a year ago that one day the professor asked a couple of the students in his class what they planned on doing in a couple years and while the teacher was getting the typical students responses like I'm gonna go back and get my masters degree and so forth Maynor got off his seat and yelled, "I'm gonna be an NBA player Man Im gonna be an NBA player!" :)

Anyways I've watched him play for 2 years and Im still surprised how far he's come since his sophomore year considering he was relative nobody on the college hoop scene. I think he's really solid and makes good decisions with the basketball, but nothing spectacular. Late first rounder at best.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 am

I think this kid is the best PG available in this year's draft.

If he has a good tourney again, I think there is a good shot he goes late lotto, especially if Holliday doesn't declare and if Rubio stays in Spain one more year, which it looks like he will.

He can do it all, he has NBA height and length, NBA range on his jumper, he is fast and has a winner's attitude.

His man defense is so-so and he goes through stretches in the game when he doesn't do much, but he will be a top 10 NBA PG in 3 or 4 years if he gets drafted into the right situation and coached correctly.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#4 » by revprodeji » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Best PG in the draft? Ahead of Holiday or Collison?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#5 » by hotshotschamp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm

maynor is a baller!
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#6 » by ponder276 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Good god the 2009 draft is gonna be terrible! At first I thought - Maynor the best PG in the draft? No way! But there is literally not a single blue-chip PG prospect in the draft (unless Rubio declares), so I guess it's possible. The sad thing is that there's not a blue-chip SF or C prospect either, and even SG is questionable (I like Harden, but he's so damn slow, is he really gonna be that good in the pros?).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 pm

ponder276 wrote:Good god the 2009 draft is gonna be terrible! At first I thought - Maynor the best PG in the draft? No way! But there is literally not a single blue-chip PG prospect in the draft (unless Rubio declares), so I guess it's possible. The sad thing is that there's not a blue-chip SF or C prospect either, and even SG is questionable (I like Harden, but he's so damn slow, is he really gonna be that good in the pros?).

Teague (He's a PG - even though he doesn't distribute well yet), Lawson, Collison, Jennings... should all go before Maynor, imo.
Edit: And Curry.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#8 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 pm

ponder276 wrote:Good god the 2009 draft is gonna be terrible! At first I thought - Maynor the best PG in the draft? No way! But there is literally not a single blue-chip PG prospect in the draft (unless Rubio declares), so I guess it's possible. The sad thing is that there's not a blue-chip SF or C prospect either, and even SG is questionable (I like Harden, but he's so damn slow, is he really gonna be that good in the pros?).

I don't think it will be terrible at all. In fact, I think the class has the potential to be very, very deep.

There might not be many "blue chip" types, but there are the makings of some very good talent and a lot of late 1st steals to be had IMO.
B B M F 'ers
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#9 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 am

BigSlam wrote:

I don't think it will be terrible at all. In fact, I think the class has the potential to be very, very deep.

There might not be many "blue chip" types, but there are the makings of some very good talent and a lot of late 1st steals to be had IMO.

Agreed.

And depending on who declares there is a chance a bunch of future stars come out of this draft as well.

revprodeji wrote:Best PG in the draft? Ahead of Holiday or Collison?

Absolutley ahead of Collison.
Collison is not going to be a starter in the NBA, just a good backup or a starter on an absolutley stacked squad that doesn't have to do too much for his team to win and therefore looks a lot better then he is statistically.

Holliday looks to have all the potential to be a future franchise point, but I still think he has a way to go to catch up with what Maynor currently is.
Holliday's best bet is to stay one more year and when UCLA becomes his team next season he will be able to shine.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#10 » by Downtown » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:22 am

Every draft has some good players in it and I wouldn't label the 2009 draft as being terrible. I think the more appropriate word is shallow. Take away the top couple of players and sure there is a dropoff in talent. Last years draft had a clear seperation from the top three and the rest. But guys like Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook, Kevin Love, and Brook Lopez have contributed significantly to their respective teams. Players such as Luc Mbah A Moute and Mario Chalmers showed that there's always talent at the lower end if you scout properly.

The likes of Jeff Teague, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday(if he declares) Eric Maynor, Patrick Mills, Darren Collison, Ty Lawson, even Johnnny Flynn possibly could end up being players who make it on a roster. Even if it's 50% of them that's decent. Guys like Patrick Patterson, Blair, Hansborough, could have roles on teams as frontcourt players taken lower in the draft.

And I'm sure there will be a couple of darkhorse picks that end up as steals. It's all in the scouting and eye for talent of a GM that determines who ends up with the players that contribute.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#11 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:47 am

While this upcoming draft looks to be weak (at least compared to last years), it has the makings to be a good class overall.

The draft probably won't be filled with superstar talent, but there should be a lot of productivity. I'm certain there will be numerous steals throughout the draft. If your team is in need of a point guard and you're in the mid-late first round, I would be happy with the possible selections (Curry, Flynn, Maynor, Lawson, Collison, Mills, Price).
#JuiceIsFree
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#12 » by corwin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 am

It_Was_Typed wrote:While this upcoming draft looks to be weak (at least compared to last years), it has the makings to be a good class overall.

The draft probably won't be filled with superstar talent, but there should be a lot of productivity. I'm certain there will be numerous steals throughout the draft. If your team is in need of a point guard and you're in the mid-late first round, I would be happy with the possible selections (Curry, Flynn, Maynor, Lawson, Collison, Mills, Price).

You've just identified the Sixers, their need, & the guys I think they should be looking at. I don't think Teague or Jennings will be around by that time. Saw Johnny Flynn last night against PC. Seems to have it all on offense but I couldn't really tell about his defense since Syracuse stays in that zone most of the time.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#13 » by It_Was_Typed » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 am

corwin wrote:
It_Was_Typed wrote:While this upcoming draft looks to be weak (at least compared to last years), it has the makings to be a good class overall.

You've just identified the Sixers, their need, & the guys I think they should be looking at. I don't think Teague or Jennings will be around by that time. Saw Johnny Flynn last night against PC. Seems to have it all on offense but I couldn't really tell about his defense since Syracuse stays in that zone most of the time.

Steph Curry could be an awesome fit with the Sixers (depending what they do with Andre Miller this summer).
#JuiceIsFree

Return to NBA Draft