Is Jeff Teague being undervalued?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,605

Is Jeff Teague being undervalued? 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 12, 2009 5:27 am

DX currently has him listed at #17. From ESPN chats and etc. it sounds like that's the consensus slotting for him. Maybe it's because there's not much seperating the players in the 7-20, but shouldn't he be... higher? What's seperating him from say, Tyreke Evans? It seems a couple months ago he was a top 7 regular and then after his bad tourney finale fell off the map...

I dunno, in a bad draft where a lot of teams will be stretching for that high upside/star pick, it seems like Teague should go a lot higher than mid 1st round. He's athletic and super fast, awesome off the dribble, is an awesome shooter with 3 point range, isn't selfish and could play PG... he's a tweener but so are most of these guys. Again I like him more than Evans (and Derozan for that matter)

Maybe I'm just looking too much into draft rankings a month and half too early and he'll end up in the top 10-11 again by then...
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Re: Is Jeff Teague being undervalued? 

Post#2 » by bigballa3jj » Tue May 12, 2009 5:48 am

he had a poor second half of the season, so that's why his stock is down. of course if he shines in workouts, he could move up.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,498

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 am

Teague is gonna be crap. He's a 6'2 shooting guard with an apathy for taking care of the ball, bad shot selection and he won't be able to guard 2's on the NBA level.
He was completely overhyped for a while.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#4 » by Dantares » Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 am

His combination of speed and athleticism is incredible, he'll be a 20ppg game scorer IMO. i think he will go top 10 for sure unless he measures under 6 feet tall. I won't be suprised to see him go top 5, he's going to have a 40 inch vert and be one of the fastest players at the draft combine if not the fastest.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#5 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:33 am

Teague is super streaky and finished the season poorly. If he were smart he would return to school and work on his PG skills and prove he can run an offense. His skillset is intriguing, but right now he is a SG in a PG's body.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 am

Dantares wrote:I won't be suprised to see him go top 5, he's going to have a 40 inch vert and be one of the fastest players at the draft combine if not the fastest.

Unless the Oakland Raiders are drafting in the top 5, I have a feeling that won't get him that high.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,667

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Teague is gonna be crap. He's a 6'2 shooting guard with an apathy for taking care of the ball, bad shot selection and he won't be able to guard 2's on the NBA level.

I've never seen him play, but how bad can his shot selection be if he shot 49% from the field and 44% from 3 pt?
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Smills91 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Teague will be a top 10 talent in this draft.
i<3basketball
Junior
And1: 3

Post#9 » by i<3basketball » Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 pm

He's going to be a Jason Terry type talent. In this draft, that is lottery worthy.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Teague is gonna be crap. He's a 6'2 shooting guard with an apathy for taking care of the ball, bad shot selection and he won't be able to guard 2's on the NBA level.

I've never seen him play, but how bad can his shot selection be if he shot 49% from the field and 44% from 3 pt?

his shot selection isnt atrocious, but it needs work. i think a lot of his bad shots came from poor shot clock recognition and experience at the PG position. he shot a good % (in part cuz he got off to a blistering start from 3), but he does take quick shots without even probing the defense. my main problem with him is his ball-handling and PG skills, he's very sloppy with the ball and makes lazy passes. he plays out of control at times, over-penetrates and doesnt have the vision or awareness to kick the ball back out. he's a combo guard for sure, but he's leaning more towards being a SG.
i<3basketball
Junior

Post#11 » by i<3basketball » Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm

It doesn't help Teague that Ishmael Smith is a super quick point guard so that does force him off the ball a bit thus devaluing his PG abilities and slowing his development at that position.

I do think Teague is being undervalued a bit because of his score first mentality, but if Jason Terry and Gilbert Arenas can be successful, then I think Teague can be too.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#12 » by Jonathan Watters » Tue May 12, 2009 3:56 pm

I remember people saying the same negative things about Monta Ellis...I wouldn't write Teague off based on a poor half season where he had to play off the ball the majority of the time. I'd say he's significantly more explosive than Jason Terry as well...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 pm

he has the total package, just isn't a pure PG, so he's gonna need the right kind of coaching and accompanying playmakers.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:he has the total package, just isn't a pure PG, so he's gonna need the right kind of coaching and accompanying playmakers.

This statement is a bit counter intuitive. He is the total package, except for the things he can't do. ;)
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#15 » by BigSlam » Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 pm

i<3basketball wrote:It doesn't help Teague that Ishmael Smith is a super quick point guard so that does force him off the ball a bit thus devaluing his PG abilities and slowing his development at that position.

It's quite ironic because it's the total opposite of Tyreke Evans.

Teague started the season as "the man" at the point and then he was moved over for Smith to take over (around the same time Wake started to nose dive) killing Teagues value.

Evans started off the ball and was stinking it up. Once he was Evans was moved to the point and given more responsibilty he hit his stride.
B B M F 'ers
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#16 » by corwin » Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Thank goodness his stock dropped. The Sixers will be quite happy to take him at #17.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#17 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:10 pm

corwin wrote:Thank goodness his stock dropped. The Sixers will be quite happy to take him at #17.

You want another Lou Williams? The 76ers need a PG like Lawson, not Teague.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 12, 2009 11:56 pm

If Maynor slips to the Sixers, Philly fans will be very happy by midseason.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#19 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed May 13, 2009 2:20 am

Cammo101 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:he has the total package, just isn't a pure PG, so he's gonna need the right kind of coaching and accompanying playmakers.

This statement is a bit counter intuitive. He is the total package, except for the things he can't do. ;)

yea, kinda of vague. What I mean is his individual skills are all there, he's explosive, he can handle the ball, shoot it, finish, has some defensive tools too. Just doesn't play like a PG looking to run an offense, he runs his own offense.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#20 » by Bobbcats » Wed May 13, 2009 9:25 am

He's definitely not a chucker when he shoots a shot it is usually because he is open. He is very good at getting himself open off the dribble and can catch and shoot.

I think his PG skills are way underrated his vision is actually very good. The problem is he had no confidence and phased out of games completely, he just doesn't assert himself.

When he was on he was the best or second best in the NCAA, then he just lost focus and didn't look the same, as did the rest of his team. I would say Johnson and Teague could potentially be much better players than they showed on that Wake Forest team. Johnson is a sure bet, Teague is a gamble. I wouldn't take him in the lottery, but that's because he might never have regain confidence and play like he did in the 2nd half the season, not because he is missing any skills. If I'm not in the lottery though I take a chance on him because he has some serious 20+ pt potential.

Return to NBA Draft