Re: Ricky Rubio's best NBA comparison 

Post#61 » by Promezclan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:35 pm

He's 18.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#62 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:31 pm

he's ok, but not a good mate for Arenas.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#63 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:45 pm

NapoleonII wrote:If Rubio ever gets a shot (he's only 19?), he'll be an upgraded version of Kirk Heinrich.

Now see, this I can see.
I just find it a little absurd that he is being compared to Kidd and Nash.
Style wise, alright, I can see where peopleare going, that's fair, but a lot of people are literally proclaiming him the next Kidd and Nash, not just style, but level of play. Again, I am not saying it is impossible, it just isn't very likely or probable.
I really think people don't realise how good Kidd was, or even Nash for that matter. These guys are flatout Hall of Fame locks, they aren't just your run of the mill Allstars.
I mean Kidd and to a lesser extent, Nash, are literally a couple of the all time great point guards in the NBA and the world. In the limited amount I have seen Rubio, 18 or not, he just doesn't have this type of potential, at least not in an overwhelming and obvious sense that a lot of people are clamoring on and on about.
Kidd in his prime was better then Chris Paul by far. Are these posters claiming Rubio is going to be as good as Kidd even ready to claim he will be better then Paul?! Seriously?

I don't like Rubio much at all as a person, but he is an exciting player to watch on the court and I think he will be a very solid player in the NBA, I just don't know that I see this ultra elite point guard others are claiming. And what really kills me is most of the people claiming I am dead wrong and a "hater", have seen even less of him then me!

We'll see, we shall see.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 613

Post#64 » by bballcool34 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:04 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:Kidd in his prime was better then Chris Paul by far. Are these posters claiming Rubio is going to be as good as Kidd even ready to claim he will be better then Paul?! Seriously?

No he wasn't.
Damn
M.Balla
Senior
And1: 0

Post#65 » by M.Balla » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:08 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I really think people don't realise how good Kidd was, or even Nash for that matter. These guys are flatout Hall of Fame locks, they aren't just your run of the mill Allstars.
I mean Kidd and to a lesser extent, Nash, are literally a couple of the all time great point guards in the NBA and the world. In the limited amount I have seen Rubio, 18 or not, he just doesn't have this type of potential, at least not in an overwhelming and obvious sense that a lot of people are clamoring on and on about.

Did you see HOF in Nash while in Santa Clara? I'll go further. Did you REALLY see a flatout Hall of Fame lock in Nash while on the Mavericks, when he was... 30!!!

Kudos to you then.
kerfuc wrote:
acekinglaker wrote:Spain by 31

ahahaha you are funny!i see your basketball knowledge
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#66 » by Optms » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:25 am

Pretty much sums it up. Steven Nash wasn't even in contention to be considered as a future HOF player until these last few years with the Suns. Know what else? He's not a lock for the HOF. If he retired today, I don't think he gets in. His numbers don't exactly jump out at all career wise. He's been putting up some sick numbers and performances but they've all come in just the last few years. He needs to have at least 2 more years like the one's he's already had the last few years with Phoenix Suns to even be considered a lock for the HOF in my opinion.
pustoolio
Junior
And1: 37

Post#67 » by pustoolio » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:49 am

Draft picks all are about potential, who knows what he could develope, he's got the tools to be a great point guard , maybe an all star, maybe a bust, but he's not definetly a WYSIWYG like Jennings.

High risk, higher reward.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#68 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:02 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:If Rubio ever gets a shot (he's only 19?), he'll be an upgraded version of Kirk Heinrich.

Now see, this I can see.
I just find it a little absurd that he is being compared to Kidd and Nash.
Style wise, alright, I can see where peopleare going, that's fair, but a lot of people are literally proclaiming him the next Kidd and Nash, not just style, but level of play. Again, I am not saying it is impossible, it just isn't very likely or probable.
I really think people don't realise how good Kidd was, or even Nash for that matter. These guys are flatout Hall of Fame locks, they aren't just your run of the mill Allstars.
Kidd in his prime was better then Chris Paul by far. Are these posters claiming Rubio is going to be as good as Kidd even ready to claim he will be better then Paul?! Seriously?

I don't like Rubio much at all as a person, but he is an exciting player to watch on the court and I think he will be a very solid player in the NBA, I just don't know that I see this ultra elite point guard others are claiming. And what really kills me is most of the people claiming I am dead wrong and a "hater", have seen even less of him then me!

We'll see, we shall see.

Kidd in his prime is a reach. Kidd post-microfracture is a realistic projection IMO. I've watched Ricky play and he's got special playmaking ability. On playmaking ability and IQ alone he's up there with the greats, and he's only 18 1/2, if he disappoints it's going to be for a lack of scoring ability off the dribble. There are a lot of things he needs to improve on, but I think he's got that special quality that the great PG's have had. Does that mean he'll be a surefire HOF'er like Kidd? No, but I think he'll be a very good PG in the league that can be an integral part of a championship team.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#69 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 am

bballcool34 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:Kidd in his prime was better then Chris Paul by far. Are these posters claiming Rubio is going to be as good as Kidd even ready to claim he will be better then Paul?! Seriously?

No he wasn't.

Yes he was.
Kidd took a rag tag group of nobody role pllayers, scrubs and an undeveloped Kenyon Martin to 2 consecutive FInals after being a perrenial 20 something win team without him, but with a big time talent in Marbury in his place. Let's not throw his Phoenix years out either.
Chris Paul might score more points per game, but he isn't the player Kidd was by any stretch of the imagination and I am a huge Chris Paul fan.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#70 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20 am

M.Balla wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I really think people don't realise how good Kidd was, or even Nash for that matter. These guys are flatout Hall of Fame locks, they aren't just your run of the mill Allstars.

Did you see HOF in Nash while in Santa Clara? I'll go further. Did you REALLY see a flatout Hall of Fame lock in Nash while on the Mavericks, when he was... 30!!!

Kudos to you then.

Touche.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#71 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:23 am

Optms wrote:Pretty much sums it up. Steven Nash wasn't even in contention to be considered as a future HOF player until these last few years with the Suns. Know what else? He's not a lock for the HOF. If he retired today, I don't think he gets in. His numbers don't exactly jump out at all career wise. He's been putting up some sick numbers and performances but they've all come in just the last few years. He needs to have at least 2 more years like the one's he's already had the last few years with Phoenix Suns to even be considered a lock for the HOF in my opinion.

You know, you're right.
I mean what was I thinking?
Why would a 2 time consecutive league MVP be a lock for the Hall of Fame?
What a jerk I am... :oops:
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#72 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:26 am

pustoolio wrote:Draft picks all are about potential, who knows what he could develope, he's got the tools to be a great point guard , maybe an all star, maybe a bust, but he's not definetly a WYSIWYG like Jennings.

High risk, higher reward.

What does this stand for?
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#73 » by Copperhead » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:56 am

Other than rebounding and maybe shooting the 3 ball a bit better, there really wasn't much more that Kidd did better than Paul. Don't just looking at scoring. Kidd may have been a better defender earlier on too but statistically, Kidd hasn't been as good as Paul. Kidd also turned the ball over a bit more. People want to point out that Kidd took scrubs and role players to 2 consecutive EC Finals but where would the Hornets be without Paul? Not to mention in a harder Conference.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#74 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:03 am

Copperhead wrote:Other than rebounding and maybe shooting the 3 ball a bit better, there really wasn't much of anything Kidd did better than Paul. Don't just looking at scoring. Kidd may have been a better defender earlier on too but statistically, Kidd hasn't been as good as Paul. Kidd also turned the ball over a bit more.

Please stop it.
Stats are just not everything.
Kidd is a top 10 of all time, all world point guard, if not literally top 5 or higher.
Chris Paul is a young andd gifted point guard, who is currently the best point guard in the league, but has only been this good for 2 seasons.
Deron Williams is also a very close 2nd to Paul, much, much, much closer then people like to admit.
Paul has not accomplished anything close to what Kidd has and cannot be seriously considered in serious discussion for the things Kidd is.
Just stop.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Copperhead » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:13 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Copperhead wrote:Other than rebounding and maybe shooting the 3 ball a bit better, there really wasn't much of anything Kidd did better than Paul. Don't just looking at scoring. Kidd may have been a better defender earlier on too but statistically, Kidd hasn't been as good as Paul. Kidd also turned the ball over a bit more.

Please stop it.
Kidd is a top 10 of all time, all world point guard, if not literally top 5 or higher.
Chris Paul is a young andd gifted point guard, who is currently the best point guard in the league, but has only been this good for 2 seasons.
Deron Williams is also a very close 2nd to Paul, much, much, much closer then people like to admit.
Paul has not accomplished anything close to what Kidd has and cannot be seriously considered in serious discussion for the things Kidd is.
Just stop.

Of course he hasn't. You have one guy that has only played 4 seasons and one that has played about 15 years. Paul is too young and too early on in his career to be mentioned in anything "of all time". But if you compare their first 4 seasons, (which is the only comparisons that should be made when comparing vets to early career players) it's not that much of a stretch of any imagination to mention them in the same breath. I don't know why people always want to compare vets and all their years who have accomplished much more to an early career player and then say "oh but he hasn't accomplished what he has". No sh*t Sherlock. :roll:
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Copperhead » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 am

Oh yeah and let me add that since Kidd was a better rebounder at the pg position, I don't think Paul will ever be the triple double threat that Kidd was.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#77 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:49 am

Many fans of the NBA haven't seen the Steve Nash of the Dallas Mavericks. Dirk, Nash, Finley was the Fab 3 before the Fab 3. The Sacramento Kings and then the La Lakers were simply better.

I'd take a 20 PPG, 8 APG PG ANYDAY. People try to discredit Steve Nash by saying it's the system. But the same thing goes for D'Antoni, they try to discredit him by saying it was Steve Nash.

Here's the simple, unedited truth: They needed each other. Do you think Shaq wins 4 NBA titles without Kobe, D-Wade at his side? Do you think Phil wins 10 without Shaq, Kobe, Pao, Bynum?

Does that discredit Shaq, the greatest center ever to play the game? Hell no, he's Shaq Daddy for a reason. He's that damn good. Does that discredit Kobe Bryant, the best player in the NBA right now? No it doesn't, he's already shut that criticism up by winning a title as the go-to-guy for the Lakers. And it's likely he'll win more then Shaq.

Steve Nash is an ELITE Point Guard. One of the best, he was just fine in Dallas averaging 20/8. But he made Phoenix. He transformed Diaw, then a scrub into a 15/5/5 Forward. He's the same guy that won 46 games with Grant Hill, Louis Amundson and Jared Dudley as his main rotation bigs.

Not only is he and Rubio not close, but if Rubio even begins to smell Steve Nash's career, he'd have proven me wrong upon there. Nash is a HOF PG.

Whether the numbers jump at you or not. Nash is a winner, he's one of the most dominate PG'S ever to grace the court.
wushui
Sophomore

Post#78 » by wushui » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:08 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Please stop it.
Just stop.

Kidd was and is a better rebounder and man-to-man defender than Paul and that's about it. In every other category -- shooting, passing, dribbling, gambling, etc -- Paul has already proven himself more able than Kidd. Stats and skills aren't everything (both of which Paul has more of) but I don't see what intangibles make Kidd better than Paul. What leadership skills or exemplar play did he bring to Dallas? I don't know how Kidd took a rag tag group of players to the Finals twice, but I do know that Paul is a better play now than Kidd ever was.
premiumsqueezed
Rookie

Post#79 » by premiumsqueezed » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 am

wushui wrote:What leadership skills or exemplar play did he bring to Dallas? I don't know how Kidd took a rag tag group of players to the Finals twice, but I do know that Paul is a better play now than Kidd ever was.

Um. Shouldn't his ability to accomplish that be enough to establish his greatness?
Basketball analysis, among other things.
Plantar Fasciitis | Basketball Blog
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#80 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:41 am

Jason Kidd took a team from 26 wins to 52 in one season.
If you were an avid Nets fan or even Suns fan you would know that Jason Kidd literally used to make entire games, if not seasons look like a running youtube highlight video, no exxageration.
The dude is a freak, probably a top 5 point guard of all time.
No amount of stats you can show me can prove otherwise.
He made people around him dramtically better, on defense as well as offense, in the truest sense of that statement, in reality, not as a cliche.
I don't say these things to put down Paul or knock anything he has done so far.
I am not tryi8ng to say that it is impossible for Paul to eventually be considered in the same league as Kidd, but Kidd is up there with the likes of Magic, Robertson, Cousy, Stockton and whatever other all time great, all world point guard you can think of and Paul is not.
I understand Paul hasn't had nearly the chance to prove himself yet, but I also see how he mentally fell apart this season and especailly in the 1st round, bringing his whole team down with him, and even in playoff series he lost, you could never ever say that about Kidd.
Dude is just on a whole nother level.
One of the greatest of all time.
I am not saying it is wrong to compare Paul to Kidd, I mean he is an absolutely great point guard in his own right and you have to compare him to someone else that is better and is considered the top guy, but saying that, "but I do know that Paul is a better player now than Kidd ever was.", is as blatantly ignorant and wrong as saying the same about Kobe compared to Jordan.
It's really that simple.

Return to NBA Draft