Sorta OT - Luke Harangody

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Tenacious_C
Banned User
And1: 2

Sorta OT - Luke Harangody 

Post#1 » by Tenacious_C » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 am

I'm a long time Notre Dame fan and was watching West Virginia play the Irish tonight and got to watch Harangody have another great game. His stroke is similar to Bonners, but seems to be smart around the basket and has erie similarities to Chris Bosh, maybe not as explosive; but multi-dimensional. After checking to see what he's was ranked, I came across a 2010 mock draft and low and behold, Harangody is projected to go 41 to the raps.

I know it's early, but what do you guys think about him and do you think he could fill the massive shoes of CB4 should he opt out?

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Re: Sorta OT - Luke Harangody 

Post#2 » by Kayjay » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:53 am

When was the last time a big man was a steal in the draft?

I'm asking honestly here.

e: Davis, Landry, Gasol, Blair I guess.
RaptorKenny
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#3 » by RaptorKenny » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:54 am

Kayjay wrote:When was the last time a big man was a steal in the draft?

I'm asking honestly here.

Dejuan Blair is one of them, but he should have went higher anyways (injury)
vjkid
Pro Prospect
And1: 290

Post#4 » by vjkid » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 am

Boozer, West, Millsap
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#5 » by Schad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 am

Harangody won't fill Bosh's shoes, or likely those of anyone else. He isn't a stellar rebounder at PF, he's poor defensively and lacks the size to dominate under the basket in the pros. He'll get drafted, and he'll make a useful 11th man for a couple years, but not much else IMO.
**** your asterisk.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#6 » by Avenger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 am

Harangody sucks, he's like an undersized Hansborough without the instincts, decent rebounding and ability to draw fouls. He could possibly go undrafted too
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#7 » by shangrila » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:25 am

He doesn't have the body or physical tools to compete in the NBA. He could maybe latch onto a team looking for a hardworking power forward that can hit a jumpshot, similar to what teams were looking at with Joe Smith, but that's about it.

And unless he grows about 5 inches and gets the hops of a mutated rabbit/frog/Josh Smith, he won't be able to fill Bosh's shoes.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#8 » by Nolan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 pm

He's not atheltic enough or big enough to be an impact player in the NBA. I think he could make an NBA team but as an end of the bench player. He's like a shorter Brian Scalabrine.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,953

Post#9 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Harangody won't fill Bosh's shoes, or likely those of anyone else. He isn't a stellar rebounder at PF, he's poor defensively and lacks the size to dominate under the basket in the pros. He'll get drafted, and he'll make a useful 11th man for a couple years, but not much else IMO.

Totally incorrect. He's definitely a strong rebounder for a PF. (Top 10 in defensive rebounding, coming off a year averaging 11.8 per.)

I'd say he's closer to Big Baby, strong and crafty under the basket with good range. Less footspeed, but also less crying.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#10 » by horaceworthy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:06 pm

He reminds me of Craig Smith. Short for a PF, not a jaw dropping athlete, never gonna be a defensive stalwart, but finds a way to get his shot off around the basket (mostly due to a crazy quick release) and can knock down a mid-range shot.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#11 » by teamjosh04 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:43 am

Matt Bonner shoots a crazy % from 3-pt range. Thats how he sticks in the league - Harangody hasnt shown he can hit the college three with much consistency...

Craig Smith is the ultimate hustler who is a better athlete and does work in transition.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#12 » by horaceworthy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 am

Smith a the ultimate hustler? Not sure about that one. He's a better athlete than Harangody, but that's not saying much. He does do some work in transition, but he's best exploiting defensive seams in the paint with his good hands and quick release. That's more the role I see for Harangody if he catches on.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#13 » by shangrila » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 am

Smith is good because he's so quick. Harangody, not so much. Besides if someone mentions his rebounding numbers in college and assumes he'll be decent in the NBA, head on over to Sacramento and see how Jon Brockman is doing.
ocellatus921
Junior
And1: 14

Post#14 » by ocellatus921 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 pm

The team who drafts Harangody in the 2nd round is going to get a steal.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#15 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Harangody has the offensive ability to play in the league. However, he is such a huge liability on the other end that he probably will not see the light of day off the bench. Something about his offensive game is intriguing though.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#16 » by some_rand » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 pm

shangrila wrote:Smith is good because he's so quick. Harangody, not so much. Besides if someone mentions his rebounding numbers in college and assumes he'll be decent in the NBA, head on over to Sacramento and see how Jon Brockman is doing.

what do you mean my this? brockman has been a beast on the boards so far

Return to NBA Draft