Moderator: G R E Y

-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

GASOL RE-SIGNS: THREE-YEAR DEAL 

Post#1 » by -Sammy- » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Story

I can deal with it as long as we aren't giving him premium money; paying him double what he opted out of, over three years(so somewhere in the $32m-$33m neighborhood), seems like a reasonable guess.

What do y'all think?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: GASOL RE-SIGNS: THREE-YEAR DEAL 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:03 am

Interested to see what the dollar amount is going to be.

I'm happy to have him back, I still worry about our rim protection but Pau is probably our 2nd best scorer.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 pm

I was surprised by 3 years but he deserved to be back. No complaints.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#4 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Good to have in the offense, especially for shooting and passing as a stretch big, will have to deal with his defensive flaws.

Still want to see what will be done with Aldridge.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
thankyouKOBE
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#5 » by thankyouKOBE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:01 am

Anyone know why the Spurs just gave him the same deal for a longer duration?

Reportedly it is 48 million (16 per year) for 3 years, with a partial guarantee for the third year.

That's a lot of money for Gasol at this stage of his career. They lost out on Dedmon and Simmons, picked up Gay, Lauvergne and kept Mills and Ginobili (one last hurrah). It's just odd to me why they basically just undid the contract they gave him and re-did it. It's like when a new DVD edition of a film comes out.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247011/Pau-Gasol-Agrees-To-Three-Year-$48M-Deal-With-Spurs

"People just don't understand how obsessed I am with winning."-Kobe Bryant
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Little surprised by the dollar amount. That's a lot for Pau.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

Post#7 » by -Sammy- » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm hearing it's because they asked him to opt out so they could try to make some moves (for CP among others), but promised to give him the money back plus a little security if nothing big panned out (which it didn't).

Still, that's a lot of money and a lot of years, and it worries me regarding next summer's financial flexibility.
duncan21
Junior
And1: 63

Re: RE: Re: GASOL RE-SIGNS: THREE-YEAR DEAL 

Post#8 » by duncan21 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 am

Ballings7 wrote:Good to have in the offense, especially for shooting and passing as a stretch big, will have to deal with his defensive flaws.

Still want to see what will be done with Aldridge.

lol GASOFT will only get worse,aldridge is done,he doesn't hv a post game,unreliable mid range......

Sent from my SM-C5000 using RealGM mobile app
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:06 am

thankyouKOBE wrote:Anyone know why the Spurs just gave him the same deal for a longer duration?

Reportedly it is 48 million (16 per year) for 3 years, with a partial guarantee for the third year.

That's a lot of money for Gasol at this stage of his career. They lost out on Dedmon and Simmons, picked up Gay, Lauvergne and kept Mills and Ginobili (one last hurrah). It's just odd to me why they basically just undid the contract they gave him and re-did it. It's like when a new DVD edition of a film comes out.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247011/Pau-Gasol-Agrees-To-Three-Year-$48M-Deal-With-Spurs

It took a huge amount of trust on his part to decline that option and let us try to make some moves. He deserves it IMO, even if he doesn't play much.
I really dont think Dedmon or Simmons were in our plans anyway. I'm not sure about paying soo much for Mills but thats what the market was.
thankyouKOBE
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#10 » by thankyouKOBE » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:25 am

So do you guys think they gave it to Gasol because the shelves are empty at this point in free agency?

"People just don't understand how obsessed I am with winning."-Kobe Bryant
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:20 pm

thankyouKOBE wrote:So do you guys think they gave it to Gasol because the shelves are empty at this point in free agency?

No. We always planned on bringing him back, him opting out just gave us cap flexibility.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 pm

thankyouKOBE wrote:So do you guys think they gave it to Gasol because the shelves are empty at this point in free agency?

Yes, there isn't much out there to choose from at this point. I'm sure we would all like someone a little more athletic. But not bringing him back at this point would have been a huge dick move and the Spurs dont work like that. Maybe in Cleveland.... :D
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#13 » by Fundamentals21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 am

I am really down on this signing. I thought he would be back for about ~10 Mil, and we could have resigned either Dedmon or Simmons, both very good role players. Now we're left with aging Gasol. 16 mil per is far too much.
devindixen
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#14 » by devindixen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 am

I'm glad Pau is back. What would our frontcourt rotation be if he doesn't? I'll go even as far as saying that I felt more confident with Pau getting "Post" touches because he's a much better passer than LaMarcus and he doesn't post up as far away from the basket than LaMarcus. Pau is a bad fit with LaMarcus though. I just hope this is LaMarcus' last year with the team and he opts out next year to go elsewhere, while him doing so will give us enough cap space to chase a maximum contract FA.
Kawhi_205
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#15 » by Kawhi_205 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

BAD NEWS INCOMING ALERT! :/

Sent from my Che2-L11 using RealGM mobile app
Go Spurs, Go! 8-) 8-)

Return to San Antonio Spurs