The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,678

Re: SPURS AND DEJOUNTE AGREE TO CONTRACT EXTENSION, 4 / $64M 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:08 pm

With 5PM CT today as the official deadline for when players from the 2016 NBA Draft could sign their first contract extensions, fourth-year Spurs guard Dejounte Murray has reached an agreement with the club of a 4-year, $64 million extension.

The extension will take place after this season, so that means five more years guaranteed of potentially watching Murray turn from a draft-night steal for the Spurs into a potential star, and if he does this is quite a deal. Murray’s monetary value was in question after missing all of the 2018-19 season with a torn ACL, leaving him little chance to show off the improvements he had made to his offensive game.

He could have held out until next summer to try and increase his value, which would have made him a restricted free agent, but signing on now to what should be a very team-friendly deal in the long term shows he is dedicated to the Spurs.

The Spurs can also extend Jakob Poeltl before the deadline if they so choose. If not, he will be a restricted free agent.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/10/21/20925755/dejounte-murray-signs-4-year-64-million-extension-with-the-spurs
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm

PATFO now includes new GM Brian Wright and he's been making solid moves for the team. This is a great win-win contract; I really thought we'd be paying a lot more to retain Dejounte.

There's still time left to agree with Jakob on an extension, so fingers crossed we work something out, but quality moves by Mr. Wright (trying hard to hold back on bad puns here), and very solid true-to-his-word commitment by newly minted cog and leader of now and the future, Dejounte!!!

I'm thrilled!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#4 » by Baphomet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm feeling this, that's good value considering the market. I was maybe expecting something closer to 80m over 4 years. Elite defenders at the guard spots are at a premium, and we've seen how porous this defence can be without Dejounte defending the perimeter. He and Derrick should be a great combo.

He might be coming off an injury, but getting this guy locked down is crucial for the future of this franchise. What's more, it seems like he really wants to be in SA. Good deal.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Baphomet wrote:I'm feeling this, that's good value considering the market. I was maybe expecting something closer to 80m over 4 years. Elite defenders at the guard spots are at a premium, and we've seen how porous this defence can be without Dejounte defending the perimeter. He and Derrick should be a great combo.

He might be coming off an injury, but getting this guy locked down is crucial for the future of this franchise. What's more, it seems like he really wants to be in SA. Good deal.

AND his shot accuracy and range have both improved. I think it'll take a bit of time to get the consistency set, but it's already keeping defenses honest, and it'll be worth the wait. We must remember that Tony didn't have a reliable one when he first came to us either. Plus this will be Dejounte's first full season as a starter, and he's been working that jumper for a long while. All good things.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 pm

I was floored when I saw this!
I was convinced that Rich Paul would try to get him away from the Spurs. This is an amazing price also. Great news!
I dislike Paul a little less today.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#8 » by Baphomet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:35 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:I'm feeling this, that's good value considering the market. I was maybe expecting something closer to 80m over 4 years. Elite defenders at the guard spots are at a premium, and we've seen how porous this defence can be without Dejounte defending the perimeter. He and Derrick should be a great combo.

AND his shot accuracy and range have both improved. I think it'll take a bit of time to get the consistency set, but it's already keeping defenses honest, and it'll be worth the wait. We must remember that Tony didn't have a reliable one when he first came to us either. Plus this will be Dejounte's first full season as a starter, he's been working that jumper for a long while. All good things.

Absolutely. Even going beyond his on-court impact, it's refreshing to have something to feel good about with our legends retiring and the Kawhi debacle. I know we might be a touch spoiled as Spurs fans, supporting a franchise with a great history of winning with an ATG coach, but it felt like there were some dark clouds forming over this team after recent events, and a lot of uncertainty. Extending Dejounte at great value, along with Duncan's return as an assistant coach and a pivot towards cultivating good character youth, suggests PATFO carefully laying down the building blocks for a future beyond Pop himself. It goes a long way in dispelling those clouds.

I think this team can make some waves this season. In a year or two, I think there's a good chance that this will be seen as one of the best contracts in the league and will give us some flexibility moving forward. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:30 am

Baphomet wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

AND his shot accuracy and range have both improved. I think it'll take a bit of time to get the consistency set, but it's already keeping defenses honest, and it'll be worth the wait. We must remember that Tony didn't have a reliable one when he first came to us either. Plus this will be Dejounte's first full season as a starter, he's been working that jumper for a long while. All good things.

Absolutely. Even going beyond his on-court impact, it's refreshing to have something to feel good about with our legends retiring and the Kawhi debacle. I know we might be a touch spoiled as Spurs fans, supporting a franchise with a great history of winning with an ATG coach, but it felt like there were some dark clouds forming over this team after recent events, and a lot of uncertainty. Extending Dejounte at great value, along with Duncan's return as an assistant coach and a pivot towards cultivating good character youth, suggests PATFO carefully laying down the building blocks for a future beyond Pop himself. It goes a long way in dispelling those clouds.

I think this team can make some waves this season. In a year or two, I think there's a good chance that this will be seen as one of the best contracts in the league and will give us some flexibility moving forward. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy.

You know, without devolving Dejounte's day to anything to do with the lot that exposed themselves for what they really are, I always felt that given the solid foundation of the team, we'd see through to the other side, and we've not only done that quickly, but have also been vindicated. We have a great young group with talent and character, and the anomaly only serves to reinforce the strength over time of sticking to the team's values. That kind of foundation that has always been about more than any one player, and how sweet that it was signed on the 21st, the number of the player who embodied that the most. And now it continues. Dejounte, #5, is a Spur for at least the next five years. Yes, I'm cheesy like that.

This is what it's all about:
Read on Twitter

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 am

WOW big day for Dejounte. Young man is signing some life-changing contracts today. Well deserved. Good for him!:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#11 » by D21 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:02 am

Great deal for you guys ! In the continuity of Spurs history regarding contracts.
I really hope for you that DeRozan, who's looking for an extension, doesn't get an insane amount (unless he changes something, because his team is almost always dominated while he's playing, and it was the same with you last season, like with TOR)
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:43 am

D21 wrote:Great deal for you guys ! In the continuity of Spurs history regarding contracts.
I really hope for you that DeRozan, who's looking for an extension, doesn't get an insane amount (unless he changes something, because his team is almost always dominated while he's playing, and it was the same with you last season, like with TOR)

Thanks! With DeMar, we have until June 30th to work out a deal that is beneficial to both sides, assuming there is enough mutual interest to get one done.

As for Dejounte, I'm thrilled about the terms of his contract. It's a commitment from both sides founded on a genuine mutual respect. It's a business, but you can see from all the DJ posts throughout his career that he really likes being part of the program and he's now a cornerstone of it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Least talked about deal of the day and also the one of best value.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?

Return to San Antonio Spurs