Moderators: BombsquadSammy, GREY 1769, Baphomet

BombsquadSammy
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 16,124

GAME DAY #22: ROCKETS @ SPURS, 3 Dec 19, 730PM Central 

Post#1 » by BombsquadSammy » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:13 pm

THE SPOT: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
TV: FOX Sports SW (Spurs broadcast team), AT&T SportsNet (Rox broadcast team)
VEGAS ODDS: O/U 226.5, Houston -2.5

INJURY REPORT: For Houston, Clint Capela (illness) is expected to play
For San Antonio, LaMarcus Aldridge (thigh) is questionable; Chimezie Metu (foot) is out

Our first look at out Interstate-10 rivals holds great potential to build on the confidence we gained by upsetting the Clips (pretending that nightmare against Detroit didn't happen would help, too), but it may be a tall order, with LMA still nursing a thigh injury.

I don't know what can be said about James Harden that hasn't already, but it'll be interesting to see what backcourt rotations Pop throws at him to try to hold him under his ridiculous league-leading 39ppg.

We need this one! GO SPURS!

When creating a new thread suggesting a rule change, always first ask: what problem does this solve?
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 14,270

Re: GAME DAY #22: ROCKETS @ SPURS, 3 Dec 19, 730PM Central 

Post#2 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:26 pm

After participating in the shootaround, LMA has been taken out of tonight's game. that I'm fine with it because we're 0-2 without him in the line-up over the past two seasons per Jeff McDonald, but better to rest him now to have him all the more healthy and ready for more future games.

Mezie is on G-League assignment per JMcD.

It's always about how we respond to the next one, so I'm looking forward to a bounce-back game at least in terms of our effort and focus. I hope Pop starts sending a sit-and-watch message to guys who don't execute defensively as we're at that time now. It may not happen in this particular game, but we only have 12 games this month - seven at home, five away, nicely spaced out - and will have our first two-day rest since late October. This will give us more time to rest, reset, and practice.

You know who played really well versus Harden in particular in our pre-season game? One Lonnie Walker IV.

May our defense and shooting step up. While the goal is to generate O from D as we did a couple of games ago, it's still a work in progress, so here's to our shooting well throughout the game to create energy on both ends.

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 7,072

Post#3 » by ducler » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 1:45 am

One missed D rotation for an open dunk, one timeout by Pop. Good.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 1:58 am

LONNIE IN AT 4:53 OF THE 1ST!

Jesus look at his athleticism!
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 2:09 am

Young guys - DJ, Patty (young at heart), Lonnie, Trey, Drew in bringing the hustle and energy and have fueled the comeback!!!

I love watching this version of us play!
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 2:53 am

I know Lonnie hasn't scored, but thank God he is playing and Beli is sitting this one out (so far). Lonnie's shot and finishes are a bit too 'live' right now, just too much juice, but he's disruptive on defense, driving and others get his O rebound putbacks, and making quick decisions. Again, that athleticism...

If we could just get some productive O from Jakob he'd be a terrifically balanced C for us. His pop-a-shot in the key is hit or miss, and has to get more consistent. I know he practices these, there's video of it, but game situations are different. Amazing defense.

Limit their O rebounds and their 3s, and make more of our own.

Keep up the hustle!
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
BombsquadSammy
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 16,124

Post#8 » by BombsquadSammy » Yesterday 4:36 am

I'm SO glad I was able to watch the 4th and the two OTs. That was as gut-it-out as gut-it-out wins get.

GREY, your boy really came through big for us tonight. He certainly didn't look like he needed a WALKER out there...

...Ha ha ha...

...ha.

Sorry.

Go Spurs!
When creating a new thread suggesting a rule change, always first ask: what problem does this solve?
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 4:40 am

YYYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! **** HELL, FINALLY! GUTS GUTS GUTS!!!
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Starter
And1: 1,324

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Yesterday 5:21 am

That was a fun game to watch. Something we build on hopefully. Poetl finally playing aggressively helps big time.
Baphomet
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 3,598

Post#11 » by Baphomet » Yesterday 5:28 am

Man that felt good, to overcome the deficit and pull out the win like that. Where do you even start with that? I feel like Lonnie has been threatening a game like this for a while, the positive signs have been there and now he's earning the minutes to showcase his talents. I almost threw my laptop against the wall in a frenzy of excitement when he hit that deep bomb to tie it up. Amazing versatility on display, this kid can really do it all. That kind of intensity is exactly what this team needs to awaken it during those sporadic slumbering moments we've experienced a lot this season, where the energy slows to a glacial pace.

Big credit to Bryn and Yak as well, the former for hitting some big time shots too and I feel like Yak was so defensively solid all game. Buzzing for these young guys. Now I need to get up to work in 4 hours. Go Spurs go!
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 8:09 am

I can't gather my thoughts even right now. I will try tomorrow. Until then, please excuse the tweet parade, gump!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 896

Post#13 » by Ballings7 » Today 12:29 am

Awesome team win... Lonnie was amazing, and needs to STAY in the rotation. I don't wanna see him playing just garbage time for a week in a half, in like 2-3 weeks. Keep him going, let him grow. The team needs it. Badly. It'll pay off later.

Then do the same for Keldon later on. No exaggeration. Belinelli should switch roles with Lonnie in the least, be a spot guy for staying ready when maybe some extra spacing is needed or foul trouble, etc. He just isn't really there so far.

Poetl was wonderful... probably keep him the primary starting C/other big, like last year.

Glad to see Forbes get out of his funk

Don't care about Houston's crap with the dunk... gave up 135 pts and were up 12 at the time, and going to the line like it was granted on a silver platter. Have fun getting exposed in the playoffs again.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Wammy Giveaway
Bench Warmer
And1: 452

Post#14 » by Wammy Giveaway » Today 2:54 am

The missed dunk call and Spur's eventual comeback has been a hot topic. I've shared most of my thoughts in the General Thread, but for here, I want to keep my thoughts squarely on the game.

One of the lessons I picked up in watching Clipper games since the 2012 lockout season is to learn to take your opponents and overall competition seriously. The Spurs are currently listed as a lottery team by virtue of being under .500. If you're an elite team, one of the top three seeds in your conference, stocking up wins over lottery teams is your responsibility. The way the game went for the Rockets made me believe they were doing just that... until the whiplash dunk by Harden happened. That's when inferno broke loose.

What I admire a lot about the Spurs is that nothing ever rattles them. With his military background in the Air Force, Gregg Popovich keeps his players in tip top shape, physically and mentally, like soldiers in the front line. They only concentrate on their game plan, doing the same little things over and over and over again until their opponents break mentally. Sometimes, those mental collapses happen by themselves, such as the case with the Rockets feeling robbed over a missed dunk. That little incident clouded the minds of Mike D'Antoni and his players throughout the game. Pop and his players never noticed the mental collapse - maybe they've gotten a glance, but they never gave that distraction the spotlight it deserved - the Spurs just stayed true to themselves, working within the system, sticking to the plan. Doing the same things repeatedly and then having unexpected results play to your favor is not insanity, it's classic psychology. The Spurs are doing Tim Duncan's philosophy proud: don't overwork yourself to beat a difficult opponent, for sooner or later, your opponents will end up doing that work for you.

Return to San Antonio Spurs