Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Baphomet, GREY 1769

imagump1313
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD 

Post#41 » by imagump1313 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm

EvanZ wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Would Spurs have any interest in trading Murray+11 to GS for #2?

YES PLEASE! That would be a steal for us IMO.
Not sure why you guys would want a PG with no basketball IQ who cant shoot or pass though. And you're defense isn't that bad.

Are you really that down on Murray? He actually did start shooting legitimately this season. 2:1 A:TO ratio as well.

Unfortunately yes. IMO he seems in over his head and the clock is running. He has been given every opportunity to be the guy and still plays like a timid out of place G-leaguer. Not to mention his constant social media posts about how he is taking over the franchise while doing absolutely nothing about it on the court.

I'm one of the small percentage of fans who thinks we need to trade him before he plays his way out of any chance to get something useful for him.

He seems like a good guy overall but we have better guards. He is expendable IMO.
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 16,167

Post#42 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 pm

A couple of points:

First, DJ's new $64M/4 contract starts next season ($14.285M in the first year) so is GS absorbing it or, more likely, what's coming back?

Second, I trust Spurs scouting and development implicitly, so even though I don't think there's a huge drop off from the top two spots and those after them, if there's someone they have their eyes on at #2, so be it.

Lastly, while I'm not as down on DJ as gump is, I do see more of his points as the seasons have come and gone. The social media posts may be more youthful bravado and stepping into the intention or whatever, but yeah there's a dichotomy between the declarations and results. Maybe it's just the times we live in, but Derrick and Keldon don't do it so maybe it's a personality thing. DJ's stats across the board have improved, and as you've mentioned the assist:TO ratio is favourable, too. DJ mentioned that he and the young guys have yet to be unleashed, so there's more to come. Ok great. But while his D is terrific and his shot is more diverse and efficient, his game management / facilitating stand out as behind his other improvements. I hope he proves me wrong, but with that new contract kicking in, there will greater scrutiny whether fair or not.

I thought our new D-out, transition style in bubble games would help DJ shine but he was noticeably conservative, not driving nearly assertively enough, settling for outside shots time and again even as his P&R was better and overall D was there.

He'd likely thrive in GS run and gun style as he's good at finding the open man in transition. I think he's a score-first combo guard in a PG body and position. Derrick is the better overall facilitator but you can't have him. It's clear we do far better when we have a ball-moving PG at the helm.

Anyway, he's the only player we've so far committed to beyond 2021 (I'm sure we'll follow it with Derrick this off-season) so it would have to be a sure thing for us and the contract coming back would either have to fit our 2021 cap-saving goals or a player we want long-term or flipping said player to a third team. All of which is to say the Spurs are still high on DJ and but for a surefire player, I think he stays. Then again, bubble play was also a close scrutiny in terms of who we want to go forward with per Pop. While I don't think eight games makes or breaks a player's position with us necessarily, there were some eyebrow raising performances, both lacklustre and great. It was a huge opportunity to shine for DJ and he didn't take advantage. We'll see who we go forward with.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
EvanZ
General Manager
And1: 1,481

Post#43 » by EvanZ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:06 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:

A couple of points:

First, DJ's new $64M/4 contract starts next season ($14.285M in the first year) so is GS absorbing it or, more likely, what's coming back?

I think TPE can be used for this.
Roddy B for 3
Veteran
And1: 759

Post#44 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 am

The NBA draft forum has San Antonio on the clock in our mock draft. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some Spurs fans participating. It will probably be up for 48-72 hours.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)

Return to San Antonio Spurs