The future

Moderator: G R E Y

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,568

Post#21 » by Ballings7 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 am

tuncaboylu wrote:Diop was expiring this summer when he was in Dallas too :D

tuncaboylu wrote:That option was exercised for 2007-2008 season. He's expiring this summer:
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages...ericks.jsp

I know, which is why I said he's an expiring this year, in the 2nd post. You referred to him being an expiring last summer, too. Which he wasn't.

tuncaboylu wrote:By the way, if an option would exercised by the former team, that right will be keeped even the player will be traded. A trade doesn't make the player free-agent

Diop has no option anymore, though. His contract is just up after the season. Thus a free-agent.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
tuncaboylu
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#22 » by tuncaboylu » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Ballings7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Diop has no option anymore, though. His contract is just up after the season. Thus a free-agent.

Sorry for my bad explanation. I wanted to say that we can get Diop next summer if he wouldn't be a part of Kidd trade. I was talking about 2008 summer, but couldn't write it correctly.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#23 » by pad300 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31 pm

tuncaboylu wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sorry for my bad explanation. I wanted to say that we can get Diop next summer if he wouldn't be a part of Kidd trade. I was talking about 2008 summer, but couldn't write it correctly.

True, even if he's not traded, he will be a UFA. However, Cuban would retain his bird rights, and be able to spend money above the Salary cap to keep him. And Cuban is a lot more likely to eat the cap consequences of keeping Diop as opposed to Ratner (nets owner), especially just to keep Diop away from the spurs.

Indeed, if the Kidd trade ends up being made, I would (if I was the Spurs management), try to make the following kind of deal:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=761668
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#24 » by Ballings7 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 pm

tuncaboylu wrote:Sorry for my bad explanation. I wanted to say that we can get Diop next summer if he wouldn't be a part of Kidd trade. I was talking about 2008 summer, but couldn't write it correctly.

Well the reason I brought Diop up now, is because he'd no longer be with Dallas. Assuming traded to the Nets, and it still happens (which it probably does).

So, Diop being with the Nets and their whole situation, increases our chances to sign him in the summer. I'd say being a certainity he won't be back with the Nets. Compared to him still with Dallas, our conference rival, and Diop being a key member of their team and success. It'd be tough to sign him away from them.

That was the original intent of my first post.
go_frenchie
Sophomore

Post#25 » by go_frenchie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 am

The paint next year :
PF : Duncan, Bonner, ?
C : ? , Oberto, Mahinmi

Horry = out, Elson= out !!!!
GO TP DIAW PIETRUS TURIAF NOAH PETRO GELABALE DIAWARA MAHINMI BATUM AJINCA GO
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#26 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Splitter, and a new veteran big.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,696

Post#27 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:14 am

You know who we should have tried and signed this past year...Andray Blatche.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#28 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:19 am

go_frenchie wrote:The paint next year :
PF : Duncan, Bonner, ?
C : ? , Oberto, Mahinmi

Horry = out, Elson= out !!!!

Is Alexis Ajinca still a toothpick? We have a late round pick and perhaps we will go international for our big.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#29 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 am

Here are some draft prospects... I am just putting guys who are 6-10 250ish and can play PF or C. I know Splitter is coming over and prolly going to be a rotation player but I would like to have some depth in our 4/5 rotation. So who do you like?

Marreese Speights 6-10 250 PF/C Fla. So.

Jason Thompson 6-10 245 PF Rider Sr.

Andrew Ogilvy 6-10 250 C Vanderbilt Fr.

Serge Ibaka 6-10 220 PF Congo 1989

DeVon Hardin 6-10 240 PF California Sr.

Nikola Pekovic 6-11 243 PF/C Serbia 1986

Nathan Jawai 6-10 280 PF/C Aus.1986
go_frenchie
Sophomore

Post#30 » by go_frenchie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:39 pm

TD is the MAN wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is Alexis Ajinca still a toothpick? We have a late round pick and perhaps we will go international for our big.

Good question : last time Alexis was very good defensively (9 block in semi final on French league) , he grabs many rebounds in a little time : he's a very good weapon in D.
But his offense is bizar : he's a big guy, but he insists to shoot long distance (6 meters) but now he understand and his last games are very good, and he can be a good choice for SA, but not now !!!
Other french prospect : Nicolas batum for sur, and Rodrigue Beaubois : his game look like TP's game, very fast, excellent dribbler, very athletic, a extraordinary jump !!! a very good passer and a very shooter (3pt) !!! Last year NBA scouts was shicked by him because he was anonymous !!!
So if SA want to draft Batum (i dont think he's to high in draft) or beaubois and ajinca : SA will begin French national team :D
GO TP DIAW PIETRUS TURIAF NOAH PETRO GELABALE DIAWARA MAHINMI BATUM AJINCA GO
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#31 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Well I like Batum alot... but he is a lotto pick and we don't have the assets to move up or trade for him.
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 115

Post#32 » by Magz50 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm

Interesting, i read on yahoo sports that the Spurs were after both Korver before he got traded to Utah and Josh Childress. Both were rejected as we're refusing to part with a first round pick.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#33 » by Ballings7 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:41 pm

I definitely like Speights, Thompson, Ibaka, Hardin, Jawai. Guys who rebound, defend, and are tough. Have varying offensive skill, but it is there. All have nice size.

Not sure about Ogilvy and Pekovic.

TDITM wrote:You know who we should have tried and signed this past year...Andray Blatche.

Yeah, he's emerged as a pretty interesting athletic PF. I like him.
the southern dandy
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#34 » by the southern dandy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:29 am

I think Ian is proving more at this stage than I expected from him. I genuinely believe that he can be a part of the rotation next year, albeit a limited one. If he turns out be to Elson with a quarter of a brain, he'll be a nice player to have in the rotation.
He seems to be learning fast and has drastically shed some of the foul problems that plagued him at the start of the year. I expect Ian to come in and get 10 or so minutes a game next year.

I have some high hopes for Tiago Splitter. By that I believe he can play a similar role to what Udonis Haslem played for the Miami heat in their championship year. Some of you may think I'm stretching a bit there, but I think that's fairly achieveable. I expect Oberto to hang around until Splitter is fully ready to take the starting position.

We definitely need some youth on the wings. A move to get Josh Childress with some or all of the MLE would be nice. He strikes me as a glue guy for a winning team and perhaps doesn't have the potential to truely live up to this role in Atlanta.
I wonder if Martell Webster could be stolen from the Trailblazers. I'm not too sure when his contract is up. He could fill the void left by the departure of Finley/Barry.
Draft Wise I think that Jaron Rush would be a nice choice. He seems to be a quality all round player with a nice shooting stroke.

As TP is entering his prime I no longer feel that backup point guard is as big a need as some others. Of course a legit backup point would still be necessary. We could draft one, but I feel that would be a waste.
Another look at VSpan would be ideal as he is relatively young. Would it be possible to pry JJ Barea away from Dallas? Probably not.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#35 » by Ballings7 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:57 am

TSD wrote:I genuinely believe that he can be a part of the rotation next year, albeit a limited one.

I have some high hopes for Tiago Splitter. By that I believe he can play a similar role to what Udonis Haslem played for the Miami heat in their championship year. Some of you may think I'm stretching a bit there, but I think that's fairly achieveable. I expect Oberto to hang around until Splitter is fully ready to take the starting position.

I agree, and don't think that's a stretch about Splitter. Don't think so immediately, though.

TSD wrote:We definitely need some youth on the wings. A move to get Josh Childress with some or all of the MLE would be nice. He strikes me as a glue guy for a winning team and perhaps doesn't have the potential to truely live up to this role in Atlanta.
I wonder if Martell Webster could be stolen from the Trailblazers. I'm not too sure when his contract is up. He could fill the void left by the departure of Finley/Barry.
Draft Wise I think that Jaron Rush would be a nice choice. He seems to be a quality all round player with a nice shooting stroke.

I also like Childress as an option, and love Webster. Kind of doubt he could be snatched away, though.

Jaron Rush? Haven't heard of him... do you mean Brandon Rush from Kansas? If so, I love his game and up-side, he's a very intriguing player on both ends of the court. I watch the JayHawks when I can.
tuncaboylu
Rookie

Post#36 » by tuncaboylu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 am

Insetead of getting a PF/C in draft, we should choose a winger in my opinion.

You can't get a long guy who can impact immediately after 25th pick. That's why, it's easy to find a good shooter winger with long arms in draft.

We can find a veteran pick(Kurt Thomas for ex.) instead of getting a raw and inexperienced front court player.

Return to San Antonio Spurs