Offseason thread... MLE,Draft, and all the other stuff...

Moderator: G R E Y

lukeridenour
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Re: Offseason thread... MLE,Draft, and all the other stuff... 

Post#401 » by lukeridenour » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:36 am

pietrus is an idiot, i would have been sad if we went after him, plus hes selfish, seems like the type of guy that wants money.

it does bother me when people blame the spurs FO for missing out on maggette. i think thats very ignorant because maggette wanted money and that was clear from the day he became a FA. theres only so much we can offer.

im sad about barry too, but thats because hes one of my favorite spurs, i understand the FO's intentions on letting him go..
Manu Ginobili:

* Italian League Championship: 2001
* Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
* Euroleague: 2001
* Americas Championship: 2001
* NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
* Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#402 » by Jajwanda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:32 am

Not a Knicks fan just curious. Would San Antonio ever entertain the thought of Oberto, Bonner, and very crap fillers for Eddy Curry?

I could see him doing well in San Antonio, even quite possibly getting back to his 2006-2007 level.
ss1986v2
Sixth Man

Post#403 » by ss1986v2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 am

Jajwanda wrote:Not a Knicks fan just curious. Would San Antonio ever entertain the thought of Oberto, Bonner, and very crap fillers for Eddy Curry?

I could see him doing well in San Antonio, even quite possibly getting back to his 2006-2007 level.

if eddy currys best case scenario is what he did in 06-07, the knicks can keep him.

his ability to be a black hole on offense (ball goes in, it aint coming back out) combined with his poor handles give him one of the most offensive (not the good kind) ast/to number of any big in the league (career 0.25; 0.23 in 06-07). actually, i cant find one with a worse one whose seen over 15 minutes per game in the entire league (anyone got one?). he cant rebound (or wont, it doesnt matter). he isnt a shot blocking presence (0.8 per game career, just under 0.5 in 06-07 where he saw a whopping 35 mpg!) nor is he a noteworthy defender (big, strong, and surprisingly agile, but cant/doesnt do anything with it). then there is the conditioning issues (always a concern when dealing with curry). what he does do exceedingly well is put the ball in the basket (at a pretty efficient clip at that). but thats not really enough out of center making 10 mil.

speaking of his contract, that alone is probably going to a halt to any curry trade. with the signing of mason, the spurs seem dead set on clearing cap space for 2010. and currys deal is too odd for the spurs to take a chance with. from my understanding (shams site is down, so im going off of memory and hoopshype here), curry has an ETO after next season, and a player option the year after that. coming off his 06-07 year, is was taken as a given he would probably opt out his first chance to get a bigger payday (or at least some more guaranteed years). but then his production took a dive, and now its anyones guess what might happen. so hes either a one, two, or three year deal at this point. so lets look at all the options:

if hes a three year deal, it kill the spurs chances at quality cap space in 2010 (plus you figure he hasnt done so hot in the last two year, because he decided to play out his contract rather than try getting a new deal). thats a big no from the spurs.

if hes a two year deal, it mean he did well enough his 2nd year here to decide to try and get a bigger payday, but probably not so good in his 1st year, or he would have already opted out. his cap hold would cut into any potential cap space that year, and he would cost at least as much (if not more) to resign. so the spurs either let him walk, or they use their cap space on eddy curry. this isnt a horrible scenario though, because we could possibly help facilitate any s&t options, or simply let him walk since his initial cost was relatively low and we got at least one somewhat productive year out of him.

if hes a one year deal, it mean he did rather well, and figures hes better off leaving nearly 22 mil on the table to get a more lucrative deal. but then we again end up with the options of having eddy curry be our big splash, facilitating a s&t (possibly our best option of any), or letting him walk for nothing.

i just now realize i spent about 20+ minutes writing about eddy curry, and im now depressed. just going to point out that the "eddy curry to sa" topic pops up at least 5 time a year (either here or on the trade board). and every time, spurs fans go into spastic fits. so no insult to the above poster (really, im not riding you here), but please: stop trying to give eddy curry to sa.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
sabonis
Analyst
And1: 340

Post#404 » by sabonis » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:18 am

curry? haha no way. the guy doesn't know the play D. we'll have to pass... in fact each and every team should pass up getting Curry... At least Oberto is a much better defender.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#405 » by Jajwanda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:23 am

That's what I figured.
Tiga
Senior
And1: 3

Post#406 » by Tiga » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:52 pm

i like Indiana's offseason
they got rashA
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#407 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel promises that either Shawn Marion or Udonis Haslem will be dealt soon: "The Heat simply cannot afford to have so much at one position and so little at center and point guard."

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=823916

I'm not going to expect anything, just to throw it out there that Haslem may well be on the move... I'd love to get Haslem on this team, one of my favorite players. Pure hope, though.

Would have to be a three-way deal, I'd think.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,494

Post#408 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Rasho,Elson,Brick, and a 3rd rounder for Marion... final offer.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#409 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 pm

haha
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#410 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 am

Cross Antoine Wright off the list

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks re-signed former Texas A&M standout guard Antoine Wright on Friday and also signed guard Keith McLeod and forward James Singleton

Terms of the deals weren't released.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3483684
lukeridenour
Bench Warmer

Post#411 » by lukeridenour » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:52 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Cross Antoine Wright off the list

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks re-signed former Texas A&M standout guard Antoine Wright on Friday and also signed guard Keith McLeod and forward James Singleton

Terms of the deals weren't released.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3483684

too bad.. wouldnt have minded him here
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#412 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Gasp Kwame Brown for the LLE?
lukeridenour
Bench Warmer

Post#413 » by lukeridenour » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:Gasp Kwame Brown for the LLE?

only if we cant get kurt to come back. id rather resign kurt to a 3 mil or maybe more deal to bring him back rather than have kwame brown. but with that said kwame wouldnt be a terrible option, he'll be our 8th or 9th man and will only need to rebound and play D and not have the pressure of being a first pick.
Manu Ginobili:

Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#414 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:05 pm

I am kinda scared given that we have not heard any news from Thomas from the Spurs. Honestly it would suck to lose a 1st round draft pick for half a season rental in Thomas.
ss1986v2
Sixth Man

Post#415 » by ss1986v2 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:I am kinda scared given that we have not heard any news from Thomas from the Spurs. Honestly it would suck to lose a 1st round draft pick for half a season rental in Thomas.

agreed. but i think we are going to have to take some time with KT. hes going to wait to see what his value is on the market. the major pieces are going to have to find homes first, and then teams will start looking toward the KTs of the league. im not too worried. we really need him (no splitter), the spurs like him (theres been talk about acquiring him in the past, plus they just spent a 1st round pick to get him), and we have the space below the tax line (around 6 mil per). now i dont think he ends up costing that much, just pointing out that we can safely outbid any team with only the MLE without going over the tax line.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#416 » by Donald Kaufman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:24 am

Camby to Clips for a 2010 2nd rounder??! WTF?

I'd have gladly given up a future 2nd rd pick for him.

What do the Nuggets have up their sleeve, or are they just plain stupid?
Mr.Bottomtooth
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#417 » by Mr.Bottomtooth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Turnover King wrote:Camby to Clips for a 2010 2nd rounder??! WTF?

I'd have gladly given up a future 2nd rd pick for him.

What do the Nuggets have up their sleeve, or are they just plain stupid?

They needed to make some cap room. And the Spurs wouldn't have been able to make that trade.
wizardg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#418 » by wizardg » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm underwhelmed like a lot of you. I thought Splitter was coming and looked forward to this season since last year this time.
Then seeing Beno and Scola's success on other team hurt.
Then the playoffs. WE have high standards. So in spite of some successes and my opinion that getting to the WCF this year was tougher than winning it all in 07 .. the bottom line is we lost to the Lakers of all people.

My point is we are not in as bad a shape as it appears. Mason helps but like its been said we STILL need athleticism and Timmy needs help badly.

We need some luck.
Remember the way we lost SJax to the Hawks for peanuts (did he sign for 2 years 2 mil) We need to get somebody for a 1 or 2 years deal who gets left out in the cold.

Who?
Good question. It could be any of the cats you've been mentioning from Delfino to FJones to RDavis or DBrown or more we need to get lucky.
bmw42690
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#419 » by bmw42690 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:28 pm

So now Posey is going to the Hornets. A great move for them and really solidifies them as a top 2 or 3 team i think. What is Boston's plan now? Do they play their rookies or do they try and find someone else?
lukeridenour
Bench Warmer

Post#420 » by lukeridenour » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:48 pm

i think they'll resign tony allen forsure now, hes one of their best defenders but was injured for most of finals. they still have their MLE so maybe they'll split on a couple of veterans.
Manu Ginobili:

Return to San Antonio Spurs