SPURS GAME DAY! LAS VEGAS SL GAME 1: SPURS VS. HORNETS, 7-7-2023, 8PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

vince__2k
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: SPURS GAME DAY! LAS VEGAS SL GAME 1: SPURS VS. HORNETS, 7-7-2023, 8PM (CT) 

Post#61 » by vince__2k » Sat Jul 8, 2023 7:27 am

G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Conditioning part worries me but I think he'll end up alright. He should definitely bulk up tho, not too much to the point where it hinders his jumper, but bulk up nonetheless. Also, does anyone know why the Spurs didn't put Wemby on the weak side super often?
iconoclastism
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#62 » by iconoclastism » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:34 pm

In this instagram era of showboating basketball ( cough..LaMelo), Wemby didn't bite. What's to prove in the Summer League when you have a guaranteed contract for the next few years with the highest pay for a fresh rookie?

I think he did well. Trying out a few things and testing the waters without getting himself injured amongst the players who were fighting for their basketball lives. For a 19 year old, he is very mature and restrained.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#63 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:38 pm

Fun game

Decent debut for Wemby as far as I'm concerned.. some people will overreact and still be a skeptic on him, but thats on them and will look bad sooner rather than later. He did perform below expectation levels, yes.

Wemby's defensive impact is going to so great -- his offense he did have, is just a small glimpse of what will be

Can't wait to see him play again

Really impressed with Champagnie so far.. intrigued by Sidy C.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,282

Post#64 » by imagump1313 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:19 pm

vince__2k wrote:Conditioning part worries me but I think he'll end up alright. He should definitely bulk up tho, not too much to the point where it hinders his jumper, but bulk up nonetheless. Also, does anyone know why the Spurs didn't put Wemby on the weak side super often?

I'm pretty sure he just showed up and played. There really wasn't a plan and he said himself he didn't know what he was doing out there.
I think this game was more of a meet and greet for the fans and an opportunity for Wemby to play against NBA professionals and see what he needs to work on.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again in Summer League this year but if he does he will look more comfortable now that he's experienced a pro game somewhat and they have a little bit of time to work on some set offensive plays for him.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,336

Post#65 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:46 pm

vince__2k wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Conditioning part worries me but I think he'll end up alright. He should definitely bulk up tho, not too much to the point where it hinders his jumper, but bulk up nonetheless. Also, does anyone know why the Spurs didn't put Wemby on the weak side super often?

His last game was about three weeks ago and he's had a lot of off court commitments since.

He said he was exhausted and didn't really know what he was doing out there, that's the first thing.

Another is we tend to use bigs up top as screen cogs around which other players keep it moving so you could see early signs of that.

He was positioned on the block at times and we missed him with passes in favour of guard drives, he cut well at other times, but it looked like what it was-a first attempt together after a couple of games with some chemistry with him first and it showed.

This kind of variety in one player is a nice problem to have but it will take some time for us to meld. Just keeping it simple to start and get everyone acclimated together. Let's see how we set him up in upcoming games.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to San Antonio Spurs