Artest to Spurs?

Moderator: G R E Y

CableKC
RealGM
And1: 11,485

Post#61 » by CableKC » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:34 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
OH please, the fans were booing him EVERYTIME he touched the ball. Obviously, he wanted to give them some entertainment. Ron feels that the NBA is 90% entertainment, and he's right. Fans pay money to see teams A) put on a good show and B) win.

I ask again to Spurs fans.....do you think that the Spurs FO and a coach like Popovich would tolerate such behavior from Artest if he did the same thing in a Spurs uniform?

As a Non-Spurs observer....my guess is probably not.

BTW....just because a player gets booed by fans everytime he touched the ball doesn't mean that he should "give them some entertainment". It's all nice for showmanship.......but at some point....you would think that he would stop acting like a child and playing like a professional.

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Artest isn't this "monster" you make him out to be. Did you know that he has been going through his daughter having CANCER? They took out cancer that was the "size of a softball" and he's been having to play through it. It's been a tough year for Artest, not many people could handle being charged with abuse AND having a daughter you can BARELY see going through cancer.

Yes, I do know that his daughter has recently been diagnosed with Cancer. I have the upmost respect for Artest and how he is handling things with what he is going through with his family. It's great that he is able to handle the pressure of what he is going through with his daughter while being forced to spend time away from her when he goes a road trip.

However, this does not change my perception of him nor does it change my opinion that he is an impact player that has a history of on-the-court behavior that has bordered on becoming a distraction to the team.

Reading the many posts that Spurs fans here have written...it sounds like some of them are willing to take on the high risk / high reward that Artest can offer. I'm just trying to point out that making such a move appears to be very "un-Spurs" like ( assuming that they don't have to give up something that they don't want to give up...like giving up Splitter...or taking on Kenny Thomas....thur ruining whatever Salary cap flexiblility that they have build over the last couple of season ) . Not only in that it's the type of move that they have tried to avoid in the past ( based on charecter issues )....but it also seems like a "knee jerk" reaction to what the rest of the Western Conference is doing....again, somthing that IMHO...appears to be something that ths Spurs FO is not prone to do.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
bigballajohn
Senior
And1: 21

Post#62 » by bigballajohn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 pm

u guys have bruce bowen as a good defender and enough fire power with parker and manu. still artest would be good as a sign and trade piece if he decides to opt out
VooDoo7 wrote:
emunney wrote:A horse walks into a bar. It turns to Mason Plumlee and says, "Why the long face?"

Frank the Tank scoffs at both of them.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 659

Post#63 » by sackings916 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Pacers fan (as CableKC is) who doesn't already know how good of a guy he is off the court. He takes care of his family. He does a lot of charity work. Right now, his daughter is dealing with cancer. However, that doesn't really ever translate onto the court. Ron on the court is a different man than the Ron at home with his family. It's just that simple.

And what exactly does he do on the court thats so bad? Since he's been in Sac he hasn't had any major issues on the court. The chest pounding is minor, small arguments with Theus also minor and is to be expected with a competitor.
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 115

Post#64 » by Magz50 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:43 pm

I have a feeling he's going to Denver guys.
Rique
Senior
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Rique » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:46 pm

[quote="CableKC"][/quote]

Well versed argument. I don't see the spurs taking on Kurt's contract. I see the Spurs going for Artest only or nothing. Spurs don't give up too much and I think Artest will see the leadership here and calm himself some.
Rique
Senior

Post#66 » by Rique » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Magz50 wrote:I have a feeling he's going to Denver guys.

We'll survive. He woul have mde the trip easier but if we dont get him...no biggie.
DBMethos
Junior

Post#67 » by DBMethos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:47 pm

I could see Artest fitting in very well here, but not in Denver. So many egos there already in A.I., Melo, J.R., Karl, etc. Then again it would probably be perfect!
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 115

Post#68 » by Magz50 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:48 pm

Denver will have the ultimate thug team lol.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 11,485

Post#69 » by CableKC » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 pm

sackings916 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
And what exactly does he do on the court thats so bad? Since he's been in Sac he hasn't had any major issues on the court. The chest pounding is minor, small arguments with Theus also minor and is to be expected with a competitor.

Obviously, the chest pounding incidents are debateable to a Kings fan and a Non-Kings fan. As a Kings fan, you see it as him being competitive. But to me ( obviously colored by the Pacers history with him ), it wasn't about being competitive. I can see why he did that after returning to Auburn Hills against the Pistons....I can even understand why he did it against the Pacers....but after he continued to pound his chest against the Jazz while ultimately getting ejected from the game......it became less of a statement about him being competitive...and more about him becoming a distraction to the team.

Since I don't watch every game that he plays....I can give him the benefit of the doubt that he has probably mellowed out a little since he joined the Kings. But it's going to be hard to convince me that he won't be inclined to to "stray off the path" and do something really stupid that won't reflect very well on the team.

Don't get me wrong....I know that Artest is an impact player and ( when focused ) he can be the difference between advancing to the next round of the Playoffs or not. I'm just saying that with his history of on-court behavior, both recent and not, it is difficult to ignore what his actions have cost a team and therefore what impact that it could have on any team that acquires him.

I guess that this is something that we can agree to disagree upon.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,568

Post#70 » by Ballings7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 pm

I don't think he'd do anything like the Jazz game again. Most of that was unnecessary, but at the same time, who knows what the fans were chanting and shouting to him. S-Jack said during the playoffs last year there were racist comments being shouted at him, at Utah.

The Pistons and Pacers game I don't really mind what he did there, and was noticably lesser compared to the Jazz game. In the former two, he was having some fun and being a competitor. I was fine with it. Just went over-board, surprisingly, against the Jazz.

As a whole, I definitely do believe his daughter's situation has played a part to the above-average emotion he's showed a number of times this season. I haven't seen him show as much emotion as he has in years. Especially not as a King. I really don't mind the flexing and some chest beating at all. I find it entertaining. If Pop has a disagreement with it, he'll tell him to tone it down, and probably other guys on the team. Anyhow, I don't think it'd be an issue worth getting worried over.

I don't see Ron bolting in the summer, away from the situation he'd be in with this team. He also has said money isn't a priority, most recently. I also think since he wants to win a ring, and realizes what team he'd be coming onto - he would buy into the system and check his ego at the door. He's already alluded to doing that back during his trade demand in 2005/2006, when he was talking about possible teams.

Regardless, I don't see him going wild (saying this is getting kind of old with how things have actually gone). If anything, it'd be the minor things he's done after a play.

I'd love to have him on the team.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
-SDU-
RealGM
And1: 31
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#71 » by -SDU- » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:05 pm

take it with a grain of salt, but this was posted on the suns board

Kings annouce last-minute trade with Spurs

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 5:20 pm EST
Word has leaked of a huge trade between the Sacramento Kings and the San Antonio Spurs. Talks between the Kings and Nuggets apparently broke down this morning. The Spurs will receive small forward Ron Artest, while the Kings will gain Brent Barry, one other undisclosed expiring contract, and San Antonio's 1st Round picks for 2008 and 2010.

Source: Sacramento Bee

dunno about its authenticity tho?
DBMethos
Junior

Post#72 » by DBMethos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:07 pm

SDU - I'm doubting that report right now...just looks like a compilation of previous rumors.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#73 » by Ballings7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:08 pm

I have to agree ^.
-SDU-
RealGM
And1: 31
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#74 » by -SDU- » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:09 pm

^ my thoughts also

word is the suns have offered the ATL pick and a trade exception (from the kurt thomas trade)

that was broken by the same person who broke the shaq rumours a week before anyone else
Rique
Senior

Post#75 » by Rique » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Wild stuff...I won't really believe anything until I see something on ESPN. I can't believe ESPN hasn't mentioned any of this at all...as in any of the Denver or SA rumors.
DBMethos
Junior

Post#76 » by DBMethos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:12 pm

That's an interesting idea, but the Suns are in danger of losing that ATL pick anyway...would Sacramento take that risk, as opposed to guaranteed draft picks?

Edit: forgot that PHX would still get the ATL pick, it just might not be a lottery pick if the Hawks make the playoffs...
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#77 » by Ballings7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Magz50 wrote:I have a feeling he's going to Denver guys.

I kind of have that feeling, too. But so what? He makes them better to a degree, but doesn't make Denver a title contender with their number of issues still present.
Rique
Senior

Post#78 » by Rique » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:16 pm

Hot off the Sactown Blog

(2:49 p.m.)
Someone within the Spurs organization is steering folks astray, as it now seems as if that situation may not exist. It never made sense as it was, and wasn't anything close to a deal the Kings would consider. All is quiet at the moment, and my Denver source says if the Nuggets had relented on Linas Kleiza then the deal would be done.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,695

Post#79 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Rique wrote:Hot off the Sactown Blog

(2:49 p.m.)
Someone within the Spurs organization is steering folks astray, as it now seems as if that situation may not exist. It never made sense as it was, and wasn't anything close to a deal the Kings would consider. All is quiet at the moment, and my Denver source says if the Nuggets had relented on Linas Kleiza then the deal would be done.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/

CIA Pop at work...lol
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,695

Post#80 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Breaking news.... Kurt Thomas to the Spurs

Return to San Antonio Spurs