And1: 21,668

RUDY GAY TO THE SPURS 

Post#1 » by -Sammy- » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:55 am

pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Re: RUDY GAY TO THE SPURS 

Post#2 » by pad300 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:25 am

Not in love. Would rather have signed Tyreke Evans. Especially not in love if he's going to be our PF...
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:22 am

I love it. I had been saying all along we did not need to overpay for a point guard. We need a wing that can score when Kawhi cannot.
$17 million is cheap also...

Plus with this deal we are still able to go full force in 2018/19 if we want to get crazy in free agency.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 620

Post#4 » by Fundamentals21 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:40 am

Experimental. I never liked him as a player but I suppose the Execs think there's some value. If he can play some PF it does give us flexibility while moving LMA.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#5 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 8:20 am

I like the move a lot, overall...

While getting him in the last half of his prime and off a notable injury, but in a reduced role, he won't be expected to do as much as in the past.

I think he'll be a good fit, and will make the team better and more versatile in small-ball situations, for sure. Gay is not a bad defender when he is focused on it and can exert the energy, at least from the eye test. Plus he went to UConn so that helps.

Murray or Simmons (hopefully)
Green
Kawhi
Gay
Gasol or Aldridge

A long, versatile lineup to throw out against the Warriors. Everyone can score reliably in the paint with size, and shoot except for Danny Green.

Nice!
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
turnmeup88
Junior
And1: 316

Post#6 » by turnmeup88 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:08 pm

When you look at the kind of contracts put out, how can you not love this one. I haven't been the greatest fan of Rudy Gay but these days a guy giving you 10 points and 5 rebounds commands 10m/year. I would think Rudy will eclipse that, and who knows, he's never played on a really good team in the last couple years. If he took this kind of a contract his head might be in the right place.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:25 pm

Ballings7 wrote:I like the move a lot, overall...

While getting him in the last half of his prime and off a notable injury, but in a reduced role, he won't be expected to do as much as in the past.

I think he'll be a good fit, and will make the team better and more versatile in small-ball situations, for sure. Gay is not a bad defender when he is focused on it and can exert the energy, at least from the eye test. Plus he went to UConn so that helps.

Murray or Simmons (hopefully)
Green
Kawhi
Gay
Gasol or Aldridge

A long, versatile lineup to throw out against the Warriors. Everyone can score reliably in the paint with size, and shoot except for Danny Green.

Nice!

Have to give a +1 just for the "everyone can shoot but Danny Green" comment alone :lol:
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#8 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm pretty meh on it at the moment much like I was with the Gasol signing last summer. He does address a need, that need being another player that can manufacture buckets. But I don't really see the fit.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
turnmeup88
Junior

Post#9 » by turnmeup88 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:44 pm

Nolan wrote:I'm pretty meh on it at the moment much like I was with the Gasol signing last summer. He does address a need, that need being another player that can manufacture buckets. But I don't really see the fit.

I agree but Gasol's contract per year was quite large. To be honest the guy I wanted was James Johnson - i thought he'd go for 10 mil / year didnt expect the contract the Heat just threw at him.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 7, 2017 12:55 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:
Nolan wrote:I'm pretty meh on it at the moment much like I was with the Gasol signing last summer. He does address a need, that need being another player that can manufacture buckets. But I don't really see the fit.

I agree but Gasol's contract per year was quite large. To be honest the guy I wanted was James Johnson - i thought he'd go for 10 mil / year didnt expect the contract the Heat just threw at him.

Totally agree that value wise this is better than the Gasol deal but I just feel similar about the addition of Gay in general.

Johnson would of been great as well but that deal is a little too rich for my taste as well.

So I'm guessing the plan going forward is a lot of Gay and/or Kawhi at the 4 which I'm okay with. But I'm not really okay with Gasol/LMA being our center rotation. I would like to see Dedmon come back but I just don't see where he fits now.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
BVB24
Veteran
And1: 6,035

Post#11 » by BVB24 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:43 pm

Wasn't crazy about it initially, but the more I think about it, the more I love it. Obviously the Achilles injury is a huge "if," but even if he returns to only about 75% of what he was, at only $8.5M per/, that's still a bargain. And he gives us another athletic wing player to help matchup with GS in small-ball lineups. Also, the more I watch his highlights, I see that Gay is also a good defender when he wants to be. He uses his length and athleticism to disrupt on that side of the ball when he's engaged. Overall, for how cheap and short the contract is, this is a low risk, high reward signing by the Spurs. Hopefully he fully recovers from that injury. Time will tell.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#12 » by stilldropin20 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 am

who starts gay or simmons?
like i said, its a full rebuild.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:who starts gay or simmons?

If we go small probably Gay.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:25 pm

NOT RUDY GAY!

turnmeup88
Junior

Post#15 » by turnmeup88 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:40 pm

pad300 wrote:Not in love. Would rather have signed Tyreke Evans. Especially not in love if he's going to be our PF...

I have to admit seeing for what Tyreke signed for i'm surprised we didn't make a small run at him...
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:
pad300 wrote:Not in love. Would rather have signed Tyreke Evans. Especially not in love if he's going to be our PF...

I have to admit seeing for what Tyreke signed for i'm surprised we didn't make a small run at him...

Thing is where would we find minutes for him. We have so many guards under contract already; Mills, Parker, Murray, White, Forbes, Green, and probably Simmons. Then you factor in a potential Manu return and we have an even bigger problem.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#17 » by SD2042 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:09 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:

As a Grizzly fan, I'm leery about the signing given his history of injuries. Even if the contract is for one season. Evans hasn't played a full healthy season in quite a while.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:37 pm

I am still under the belief that since we couldn't trade Aldridge that this signing is just a one year trial and next year is when we try to land some huge names. If Gay can play, great. If he cant come back to being Rudy Gay then it didn't cost us that much in the big picture.
duncan21
Junior
And1: 63

Post#19 » by duncan21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:16 am

Rudy Gay is a Proven Cancer,I am not sold on
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#20 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:45 pm

The teams Gay have been on have all been relatively bad and mediocre at best, except for Memphis. I don't think the dislike on him is fair at all considering how lackluster the teams he was on actually were.

Put 2014-now Leonard on the Raptors (if he was there longer) or Kings then, and they're still missing the playoffs by a decent amount.

And, Memphis would of beat the Spurs in 2011 even sooner if Gay was available.

I also think his best years as a player, individually, were with Sac in terms of his ability and versatility, and was more under control there it seemed.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to San Antonio Spurs