Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:21 am

imagump1313 wrote:Call me crazy but we have all heard the rumors and I am really starting to think that the situation in Cleveland is going to result in Lebron James playing for the Spurs next year.

Think about it:
I honestly cant see him going to the Lakers if LA continues to go the direction of stupid Lonzo Ball. Ball and James cannot function on the same floor together. At this point in his career, James would rather be a facilitator at the 1 or even 2 than he would banging around with guys at the 3 or 4. Ball is completely useless off the ball so that situation would never work and I don't see the Lakers giving up on Ball after one year.

James has always taken flak because he is perceived to be the guy making all the decisions including coaching the team. James has always seemed way to concerned about what people think about him. I could honestly see him next year saying "I really want to concentrate on just playing basketball and let others take care of the everything else".

For a situation like that, he would have to trust a coach and origination and the only obvious choice that he respects is Popovich and the Spurs organization. James loves Popovich and has said more than once he would love to play for him.
With Pop being the coach of USA Basketball, he will have plenty of opportunity to convince James to play for him, besides San Antonio's nucleus is James best chance of winning another title IMO. (unless he wants to go to to Houston, but would he rather play for Pop or D'antoni?)

I'll be the first to tell you I have never been a big James fan but the more this plays out, the more it looks like there is actually a chance he winds up here.

He can play for Pop at the 2020 Olympics, but that's where I draw the line.

To be honest, I'd much rather James play elsewhere and beat him again. And again. Arrogance is the single most distasteful quality, and despite his respect for Pop, I'm not convinced that he'd humble himself enough to take instruction or the occasional tough love. He's bumped two coaches, changed coach calls, and all that dancing and celebrating is just so off-putting. That and the orchestration of the Miami team and the proclamation of however many rings, then leaving when he got a couple but couldn't control the larger scheme, makes him a ring-chasing mercenary, not a family, team-oriented player.

I get the lure of having someone of his talent, but question the character that comes with it and the fit with the character that the Spurs are known for. I can't help but picture Pop's dig at the 'Not 1, not 2... not 7, not 8...' proclamation, sarcastically counting the rings in the 2014 championship celebration and would rather put distance between the Spurs number of rings than help LeJB add to his. He's chasing something that the Spurs organization has never been about - individuals using the team to vault their own greatness.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 am

So Kobe's jersey retirement ceremony was last night. Both 8 & 24 jerseys, actually. I loved the arc in the 'Dear Basketball' letter he read, how the love story came full circle, and the cool animation that was shown with it.

I was surprised, though, that the ceremony seemed a bit professionally efficient somehow. There was a lot of love from fans who cheered during the proceedings and peers who congratulated him afterwards, but it was a rather short presentation at half time, and only Lakers executives joined him in centre court, with Jeannie Buss giving a speech (paper at hand). It all seemed polished, but just a little bit distant. Maybe that's just how they all wanted it, who knows.

Coincidentally, it was a year ago yesterday that the Spurs had the ceremony for Tim Duncan's jersey retirement so I couldn't help but compare. And contrast. Tim's was after the game, so there was more time dedicated to it, and it had Spurs alumni, coaches, executives, and current players who were so heartfelt in their tributes to him. They all had me choking up. They all told stories of Tim as a person, and how the basketball player flowed from the character of the man.

A tale of two great legends, but also of very different people.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#23 » by imagump1313 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:11 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Call me crazy but we have all heard the rumors and I am really starting to think that the situation in Cleveland is going to result in Lebron James playing for the Spurs next year.

Think about it:
I honestly cant see him going to the Lakers if LA continues to go the direction of stupid Lonzo Ball. Ball and James cannot function on the same floor together. At this point in his career, James would rather be a facilitator at the 1 or even 2 than he would banging around with guys at the 3 or 4. Ball is completely useless off the ball so that situation would never work and I don't see the Lakers giving up on Ball after one year.

James has always taken flak because he is perceived to be the guy making all the decisions including coaching the team. James has always seemed way to concerned about what people think about him. I could honestly see him next year saying "I really want to concentrate on just playing basketball and let others take care of the everything else".

For a situation like that, he would have to trust a coach and origination and the only obvious choice that he respects is Popovich and the Spurs organization. James loves Popovich and has said more than once he would love to play for him.
With Pop being the coach of USA Basketball, he will have plenty of opportunity to convince James to play for him, besides San Antonio's nucleus is James best chance of winning another title IMO. (unless he wants to go to to Houston, but would he rather play for Pop or D'antoni?)

I'll be the first to tell you I have never been a big James fan but the more this plays out, the more it looks like there is actually a chance he winds up here.

To be honest, I'd much rather James play elsewhere and beat him again. And again. Arrogance is the single most distasteful quality, and despite his respect for Pop, I'm not convinced that he'd humble himself enough to take instruction or the occasional tough love. He's bumped two coaches, changed coach calls, and all that dancing and celebrating is just so off-putting. That and the orchestration of the Miami team and the proclamation of however many rings, then leaving when he got a couple but couldn't control the larger scheme, makes him a ring-chasing mercenary, not a family, team-oriented player.

I get the lure of having someone of his talent, but question the character that comes with it and the fit with the character that the Spurs are known for. I can't help but picture Pop's dig at the 'Not 1, not 2... not 7, not 8...' proclamation, sarcastically counting the rings in the 2014 championship celebration and would rather put distance between the Spurs number of rings than help LeJB add to his. He's chasing something that the Spurs organization has never been about - individuals using the team to vault their own greatness.

Yeah I wrote that awhile back when Cleveland was falling apart. James is such a diva his situation seems to change by the day. I'm not a huge fan of him either and would rather beat him again also, but I really do see a scenario where he could actually come here next season or 2020. Although now that Cleveland is playing better I think there is much less chance now than there was maybe a month and a half ago.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by imagump1313 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 am

GREY 1769 wrote:So Kobe's jersey retirement ceremony was last night. Both 8 & 24 jerseys, actually. I loved the arc in the 'Dear Basketball' letter he read, how the love story came full circle, and the cool animation that was shown with it.

I was surprised, though, that the ceremony seemed a bit professionally efficient somehow. There was a lot of love from fans who cheered during the proceedings and peers who congratulated him afterwards, but it was a rather short presentation at half time, and only Lakers executives joined him in centre court, with Jeannie Buss giving a speech (paper at hand). It all seemed polished, but just a little bit distant. Maybe that's just how they all wanted it, who knows.

Coincidentally, it was a year ago yesterday that the Spurs had the ceremony for Tim Duncan's jersey retirement so I couldn't help but compare. And contrast. Tim's was after the game, so there was more time dedicated to it, and it had Spurs alumni, coaches, executives, and current players who were so heartfelt in their tributes to him. They all had me choking up. They all told stories of Tim as a person, and how the basketball player flowed from the character of the man.

A tale of two great legends, but also of very different people.

I never like Bryant so I really couldn't care less about his retirement. The difference between him and Timmy is much like the difference between when David Robinson and Michael Jordan went into the hall of fame at the same time. Robinson gave a thoughtful and inspiring speech while Jordan gave a self centered rant of a speech.

San Antonio really is lucky to have a history of great people in its origination, not just great basketball players.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:24 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Think about it:

Yeah I wrote that awhile back when Cleveland was falling apart. James is such a diva his situation seems to change by the day. I'm not a huge fan of him either and would rather beat him again also, but I really do see a scenario where he could actually come here next season or 2020. Although now that Cleveland is playing better I think there is much less chance now than there was maybe a month and a half ago.

Oh the drama of where he'll play will ramp up again, he'll make sure of it. Depending on our cap situation, his coming here is possible, but I'd be shocked if Pop/RC signed him. It will be very interesting to see what we do with our roster in a year or two, though.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#26 » by Nolan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Good to see that the Rockets are still mental midgets.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Nolan wrote:Good to see that the Rockets are still mental midgets.

I loved every second of that. I've never been scared of the Rockets at all, mainly because of who their coach is. They will crumble in the playoffs like every D'Antoni coached team does.

I'm not sure what Rivers was saying to them but I would think the Clipper players would be pissed at Paul. Wasn't Paul the guy who was locking DeAndre Jordan in his house so the Mavericks couldnt sign a deal Jordan agreed too just a couple years ago? Only to have Paul jump ship the first chance he got?
If I was Jordan I would be pretty pissed off but it never seemed to get mentioned at all when Paul left.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Nolan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm

imagump1313 wrote:

I loved every second of that. I've never been scared of the Rockets at all, mainly because of who their coach is. They will crumble in the playoffs like every D'Antoni coached team does.

I'm not sure what Rivers was saying to them but I would think the Clipper players would be pissed at Paul. Wasn't Paul the guy who was locking DeAndre Jordan in his house so the Mavericks couldnt sign a deal Jordan agreed too just a couple years ago? Only to have Paul jump ship the first chance he got?
If I was Jordan I would be pretty pissed off but it never seemed to get mentioned at all when Paul left.

And now apparently Jordan wants to be dealt to Houston :lol:
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Nolan wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

And now apparently Jordan wants to be dealt to Houston :lol:

I guess that would explain why Jordan was soo quiet during the whole thing :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#30 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 am

Our season in context:

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Seeing Cousins go down and Roberson this week, makes me a little more thankful of the injury situation we have going on here. At least we still have a chance to get Leonard and Gay back on track this year and possibly make a run. That's all we can ask for.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#32 » by -Sammy- » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:28 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Seeing Cousins go down and Roberson this week, makes me a little more thankful of the injury situation we have going on here. At least we still have a chance to get Leonard and Gay back on track this year and possibly make a run. That's all we can ask for.

The league's been an injury nightmare this season. The sobering part is that the Warriors have been dealing with a lot of them, too, and are still way out in front.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#33 » by G R E Y » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm

A bit overdue, but congratulations to LMA for being selected to the All Star Game! A well-deserved honour :clap:

Read on Twitter

The Spurs have had at least one player selected for the All-Star Game in 39 of 41 years, missing out in 1989 and 1997.
:o
http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400975444
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 am

Blake Griffin traded to Detroit!

Details:
Pistons get:Griffin, Willie Reed, and Brice Johnson
Clippers get:Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban, 2018 First Round Pick, 2019 2nd Round Pick

I dont think the trade helps Detroit much but SVG had to do something with that train wreck of a roster. Problem is they still have Reggie Jackson and Drummond so they will always suck. Its obvious Stan still thinks they are making the playoffs if he is giving up that pick this year...sigh.

The Clippers made out I think. They were going nowhere with Griffin, got a decent player in Harris. An adequate player in Bradley, and BOBAN!!!!!!! Plus they wrestled Detroit's 2018 pick which is going to be a lottery pick IMO.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Nolan » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:47 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Blake Griffin traded to Detroit!

Details:
Pistons get:Griffin, Willie Reed, and Brice Johnson
Clippers get:Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban, 2018 First Round Pick, 2019 2nd Round Pick

I dont think the trade helps Detroit much but SVG had to do something with that train wreck of a roster. Problem is they still have Reggie Jackson and Drummond so they will always suck. Its obvious Stan still thinks they are making the playoffs if he is giving up that pick this year...sigh.

The Clippers made out I think. They were going nowhere with Griffin, got a decent player in Harris. An adequate player in Bradley, and BOBAN!!!!!!! Plus they wrestled Detroit's 2018 pick which is going to be a lottery pick IMO.

Crazy deal for both sides and I get it for both sides.

Pistons were in cap trouble anyway and deal like this was the only way they could add a star, it's going to get messy in a few years but its a worthwhile risk.

For the Clippers this is a decent way to set themselves up for a quick reset. Which they need.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#36 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:33 am

LMA representing SA in LA needs some love. Six-time All Star, twice for us now, and doing it with style and class. I'm so proud of all LaMarcus has achieved and how he has kept us in it this season as the focal point of our team. It has taken all Spurs playing together, but LMA's effort has been deservedly recognized.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/all-star

Style - LMA looking S.H.A.R.P sharp. Makes quite the entrance:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LMA's kicks to honour the occasion:
Read on Twitter

Customized jean jacket:
Read on Twitter

Substance - LMA coaching the adorable little wrigglies at JR NBA Day. The girl who needed a hand figuring out how to dribble with her left was so cute and funny and endearing.
Read on Twitter

Best of the best, Bala!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Congratulations and thank you, LaMarcus!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 am

LMA's raised his already high level of play to be distinguished with this honour:

The NBA today announced that San Antonio Spurs forward LaMarcus Aldridge was named the Western Conference Player of the Week for games played Monday, March 19, through Sunday, March 25. Cleveland’s LeBron James was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week.

With his 10th career Player of the Week honor, Aldridge becomes just the third player to wear a Spurs uniform to be named Player of the Week at least 10 times, joining David Robinson (14) and Tim Duncan (23). This marks the second time he has been named Player of the Week since joining the Silver and Black in 2015.

Aldridge averaged 34.8 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 2.00 blocks in 34.8 minutes for the week, while shooting .596 (56-94) from the field and .867 (26-30) from the foul line. He led the team in scoring in all four games and helped the Spurs go 3-1 for the week.

He is just fifth Spur in franchise history to lead the team in scoring 50 times in a season joining Kawhi Leonard, Tim Duncan, David Robinson and George Gervin. Over his last five games he’s combined to score 178 points, the most points Aldridge has recorded over a five-game stretch in his career.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/lamarcus-aldridge-named-western-conference-player-week-0

Spurs fans already know how much he means to our team, but it's great to see him getting the well-deserved recognition from the league. Congratulations, LMA! :clap:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 am

Happy Birthday, Tony!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#39 » by UDRIH14 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 am

cant even handle kawhis 1 man entourage, what makes u think patfo can handle lebrons entourage if they do decide to sign him
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by imagump1313 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:22 am

Unbelievable that Minnesota took that crappy package the Sixers were begging us to take for Leonard. I like Butler and I'm sorry he is going to an even more poorly run franchise than Minnesota.
I doubt he resigns with them.

Return to San Antonio Spurs