Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Baphomet, GREY 1769

User avatar
Phreak50
Analyst
Posts: 3,553
And1: 5,693
Joined: Feb 01, 2014

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#81 » by Phreak50 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:05 pm

We need to grab Jonah Bolden from waivers. Not sure why 76ers cut him, this guy is 6'8 or 6'9, can shoot the three and is long, athletic and has the potential to be a really good defender.

He had a bit of an ego when walking out of the Australian national team just before the start of the world champs but the exact reason was never confirmed and he seems to have kept quite on the bench and in G League since then.
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 20,116
And1: 17,541
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#82 » by GREY 1769 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:36 am

The wording is careful: "Suspending game play until further notice."
Read on Twitter


There's also this:
Read on Twitter


Does this mean Gobert caught it after that game? How do we know? How far back, then, should the testing go? What if he had it then?

I hope all the Spurs are safe, and the season is reinstated.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 20,116
And1: 17,541
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#83 » by GREY 1769 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 am

Fluid situation. Sounds like the option to resume the season is still on the table. Keeping my fingers crossed for the season to continue! Until then, be safe, and WASH YOUR HANDS.
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#84 » by imagump1313 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:07 am

Ive heard everything from stopping for 30 days and just starting the playoffs as it stands to playing into August. I dont see how they can do that because arent the Olympics then? Unless the Olympics are cancelled I guess.

Honestly, as a Spurs fan I just want the season to be over.
I am also starting to hear rumors that the salary cap is going to drop so DeRozan might opt in....... FML!!!
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 20,116
And1: 17,541
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#85 » by GREY 1769 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 am

Around the NBA: Post-Season Edition

:o :rofl: :clap:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
JRSmith_23
RealGM
Posts: 12,166
And1: 3,176
Joined: Mar 31, 2012
         

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#86 » by JRSmith_23 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Any interest in Nigel Williams-Gross? He seems like a "Spurs player."
23 - 1 - 5 - 8 - 21
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#87 » by imagump1313 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:35 pm

MJ23datruGOAT wrote:Any interest in Nigel Williams-Gross? He seems like a "Spurs player."



Honestly I had to look him up.
Seems like a decent player but we have soo many guards I doubt he would get a look here.
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 37,994
And1: 14,003
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#88 » by AussieBuck » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:32 am

Somehow Forbes is worse than Gary Neal. Wouldn't have thought it possible.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.


#FreeChuck
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#89 » by imagump1313 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:15 am

AussieBuck wrote:Somehow Forbes is worse than Gary Neal. Wouldn't have thought it possible.


We tried to warn you :D
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#90 » by imagump1313 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 am

Since Dinwiddie is down the Harden to Brooklyn thing probably dies. Can we get them to panic and take DeRozan for LeVert, Dinwiddie and Allen?

We have enough guards to wait out Dinwiddie's injury.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 24,037
And1: 2,098
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#91 » by SD2042 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 am

Here's a question to be ask.

With LMA on the back end of his career and sitting on an expiring contract. Who do they see as a potential LMA replacement regardless if it's by trading for a PF or signing one?

We all know that when it comes down to free agency that the Spurs don't attract high calibur players too often. They also follow a guideline of not signing player an absortant amount of money. So whose to say what could happen in the 2021 off-season. All that is known is that the Spurs will need to improve their frontcourt in a big way.


A couple of PFs that comes to mind are RFA's John Collins and Lauri Markkanen.

Collins recently turned down an extension from the Hawks for about 90M and is seeking a near max deal. So he's rolling the dice on himself. Granted the 25 game suspension he took last season, Collins hasn't demonstrated any forms of behavioral issues so that's a plus with the Spurs.

Collins provides athleticism, transition on both ends, post scoring, potential to improve on mid-range, shot blocks, and potential to get better defensively. Collins could potential be a solid second or third option for a team like the Spurs and brings a sense of attitude to a team like the Spurs. The question will be how much is Collins will be worth at the end of the season based on his averages and results.


To Markannen: My thoughts was when the Bulls drafted this guy is that I think they though they found the next Dirk Nowitzki. Someone who can stretch the offense, be a decent rebounder and can lead the team as the number one option. This hasn't been the case for Markkanen. The first season was good for LM. However, the last two seasons has been marred by injuries, inconsistency, and poor coaching by former coach Jim Boylen. Between the turmoil and the injuries to Markkanen, the confidence has been effected. Now that the Bulls have a new coach in Billy Dovovan, Markkanen is in an extension year and is looking for his next contract. Will his confidence returns as well?

We know Markkanen is capable of being an inside/outside player on offense, decent to solid rebounder, can create his own shot when consistent. He can stand to improve his defense and versatility. He like Collins could be two players the Spurs could take a look into and evaluate if one of them are worth investing in for the future as the Spurs look to keep building their foundation.
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 20,116
And1: 17,541
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#92 » by GREY 1769 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:27 am

SD2042 wrote:Here's a question to be ask.

With LMA on the back end of his career and sitting on an expiring contract. Who do they see as a potential LMA replacement regardless if it's by trading for a PF or signing one?

We all know that when it comes down to free agency that the Spurs don't attract high calibur players too often. They also follow a guideline of not signing player an absortant amount of money. So whose to say what could happen in the 2021 off-season. All that is known is that the Spurs will need to improve their frontcourt in a big way.


A couple of PFs that comes to mind are RFA's John Collins and Lauri Markkanen.

Collins recently turned down an extension from the Hawks for about 90M and is seeking a near max deal. So he's rolling the dice on himself. Granted the 25 game suspension he took last season, Collins hasn't demonstrated any forms of behavioral issues so that's a plus with the Spurs.

Collins provides athleticism, transition on both ends, post scoring, potential to improve on mid-range, shot blocks, and potential to get better defensively. Collins could potential be a solid second or third option for a team like the Spurs and brings a sense of attitude to a team like the Spurs. The question will be how much is Collins will be worth at the end of the season based on his averages and results.


To Markannen: My thoughts was when the Bulls drafted this guy is that I think they though they found the next Dirk Nowitzki. Someone who can stretch the offense, be a decent rebounder and can lead the team as the number one option. This hasn't been the case for Markkanen. The first season was good for LM. However, the last two seasons has been marred by injuries, inconsistency, and poor coaching by former coach Jim Boylen. Between the turmoil and the injuries to Markkanen, the confidence has been effected. Now that the Bulls have a new coach in Billy Dovovan, Markkanen is in an extension year and is looking for his next contract. Will his confidence returns as well?

We know Markkanen is capable of being an inside/outside player on offense, decent to solid rebounder, can create his own shot when consistent. He can stand to improve his defense and versatility. He like Collins could be two players the Spurs could take a look into and evaluate if one of them are worth investing in for the future as the Spurs look to keep building their foundation.

The irony of us supposedly not being able to attract free agents is that we haven't actually had many chances to test it as we've not had the cap space, but when we did, we landed LMA.

I know I wrote about those two very guys somewhere but can't find it. Anyway, of course I think they're great suggestions! Pop's huge about anti-drugs, starting school programs about focusing education rather than that path, but then again, Collins did his time so to speak and deserves the benefit of looking at what he has done from that time on. We've also had players with checkered pasts who ended up turning it around with us (and others didn't lol).

I love both and think they fit our core group in terms of age and playing style. I like Allen from the Nets, too.

All three will be RFAs so we'll see what we can make of our cap space and if our offers are enticing enough to lure one or two away.

Given all our vets will be FAs I hope we can orchestrate some S&Ts for whoever does not return. For the record, I hope we move on from LMA, I wouldn't mind Rudy and DD on short deals (Rudy has said he loves it here; DD wants a long contract), and I hope Patty stays forever.

We may be able to take on salary on a trade as well depending on how we manage the cap.

So there are multiple options available for us, but I agree that targeting the 4/5 ought to be the focal point of our off-season in 2021.

Good insights, thanks for sharing, SD!
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#93 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:56 am

My prediction of Brooklyn making the playoffs last year and not making it with Durant and Irving is looking better every day :lol: :lol:

What a sh**-show....
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#94 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 am

This is too funny for those who haven't seen it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Phreak50
Analyst
Posts: 3,553
And1: 5,693
Joined: Feb 01, 2014

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#95 » by Phreak50 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:08 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:The irony of us supposedly not being able to attract free agents is that we haven't actually had many chances to test it as we've not had the cap space, but when we did, we landed LMA.


J Kidd said no.

LeBron said no.

Durant said no.

I believe we genuinely met with all three of them and I honestly believed we had a chance at every one, including James at the time.
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#96 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:The irony of us supposedly not being able to attract free agents is that we haven't actually had many chances to test it as we've not had the cap space, but when we did, we landed LMA.


J Kidd said no.

LeBron said no.

Durant said no.

I believe we genuinely met with all three of them and I honestly believed we had a chance at every one, including James at the time.


I wouldn't be nearly as much of a Spurs fan if we had signed any of those guys(My own person feelings). I would rather beat them than join them. I love how the Spurs don't fall for the FADs and try to develop players still.

On the other side, Pop being the Team USA coach means he can interact with the leagues best players way more than he could in the past(Tampering) so that gives us an inside scoop. However, there aren't many good free agents coming up next year anyway.

Also, Timmy said no to Orlando and he was a FA so we can count that :D
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 20,116
And1: 17,541
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#97 » by GREY 1769 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:The irony of us supposedly not being able to attract free agents is that we haven't actually had many chances to test it as we've not had the cap space, but when we did, we landed LMA.


J Kidd said no.

LeBron said no.

Durant said no.

I believe we genuinely met with all three of them and I honestly believed we had a chance at every one, including James at the time.

Well Kidd technically agreed to sign with us and even called his FO to inform them but his wife didn't want to leave the NY limelight or something. He has since expressed regret for not going through with it.

Who wouldn't be interested in LBJ or Durant, but if we met with them it's news to me. They pretty much telegraphed (or we found that after the fact) where they were going in FA and we weren't on their short lists.

So I think getting half or nearly half of the FAs listed we wanted is great for a small market team.

And not for nothing, but Tony really held a grudge about us wanting to sign Kidd so badly and us almost trading the one for the other (but apparently Mrs. Pop wouldn't hear of Tony being traded as he was like a second son to her).

Anyway, fast forward to Tony's FA and off he went. My sense at the time was it felt like some sort of long stored up payback suddenly kicking in. He even went out of his way to say that the Spurs offered him the same money (not what was reported, but whatever) and how Pop was emotional on the phone upon hearing the news. Who **** says things like that unless they have a jab to take? Anyway, he said he went to have a bigger role and be a mentor (like we didn't have a young PG who could have used it?!), and ended up riding pine and missing the playoffs in his final year.

There's a reason there are still items with #9 up for sale but Timmy's and Manu's are long sold out.

But I digress. I still maintain we did very well with the times we actually had significant cap space.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,747
And1: 1,540
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#98 » by imagump1313 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:24 am

The only 2021 UFAs I see that might be useful to us are Richaun Holmes from Sacramento or Drummond.
Its a pretty thin list. Everyone is either old or washed up.
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 20,116
And1: 17,541
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#99 » by GREY 1769 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:52 am

imagump1313 wrote:The only 2021 UFAs I see that might be useful to us are Richaun Holmes from Sacramento or Drummond.
Its a pretty thin list. Everyone is either old or washed up.

Lots of RFAs in positions of our need we can throw front loaded money at and I guess overpay a bit to make it harder on their teams to retain them. Nice to be in a position like that for a change.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
Phreak50
Analyst
Posts: 3,553
And1: 5,693
Joined: Feb 01, 2014

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#100 » by Phreak50 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 11:31 am

Dreaming of some trades.

One that works is:

Spurs get: KAT
Wolves get: Aldridge and their pick of Murray or White

Spurs do it: because they aren't going to sign anyone close to KAT, no one wants to come here.

Wolves do it: they clear his huge contract, get a proper PG and move DLO.

Return to San Antonio Spurs