Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

GT: Spurs vs. Thunder 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:23 pm

When: Dec 3rd, 2017 5:00 PM
Where: Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City OK

Don't let the Thunder's 9-12 record fool you, this will not be an easy game. The Thunder have talent and 3 guys capable of winning this one on their own.

The key to this one is going to be team defense. Rotations need to be clean, we can't let Russ get easy transition buckets and we need to contest every shot. The Matchups are going to be interesting as well. I'm guessing we'll see Danny on Russ and Parker on but after that things aren't so clear.

Go Spurs!!
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Re: GT: Spurs vs. Thunder 

Post#2 » by ducler » Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:29 pm

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Sun Dec 3, 2017 6:11 pm

Okay so LMA, Rudy, and Parker are all out for this one along with Kawhi of course. Going to need some big games from Danny, Pau and the youngsters.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#4 » by Pillendreher » Sun Dec 3, 2017 10:17 pm

Nolan wrote:Okay so LMA, Rudy, and Parker are all out for this one along with Kawhi of course. Going to need some big games from Danny, Pau and the youngsters.

Don't count us out yet. We've lost to worse squads :D
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I can't help but laugh at the timing. Game is on NBA-TV; Pop rests two starters and a key bench player. I'm sure it was all on the up and up, nevertheless, somewhere out there Stern is spewing a string of curse words, and Pop is smiling. Playing the long game, even if it means potentially sacrificing a win. We'll see what the guys who get playing time have to show. GO SPURS!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Mon Dec 4, 2017 12:19 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I can't help but laugh at the timing. Game is on NBA-TV; Pop rests two starters and a key bench player. I'm sure it was all on the up and up, nevertheless, somewhere out there Stern is spewing a string of curse words, and Pop is smiling. Playing the long game, even if it means potentially sacrificing a win. We'll see what the guys who get playing time have to show. GO SPURS!

I firmly believe he does it on purpose. :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:31 am

Nolan wrote:I firmly believe he does it on purpose. :lol:

GOAT subterfuge, 8.5/10 on the hilarity scale.

You know, if our shooting weren't so abysmal, we'd actually be at least tied. Even though we have had more FTs (poor conversion rate again so far), OKC is getting some home calls. Brandon can't really expect to get those calls against the MVP. NBA likes to say they have the best officials in pro sports, but they're really the best at catering to stars. I believe the NHL has the best refs - faster sport, and doesn't abide by the star treatment nearly as much.

Adams had more O rebs in the first half than the whole Spurs team. I know that's his specialty, but better effort needed.

Not a focused start to the third. Good time-out.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:56 am

Oh my God, Kyle screamed at the impact. Getting helped off uuugh... Please oh please let this be a minor injury...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:04 am

JL - DON'T LOOK at his finger... OKC is an injury jinx for us tonight.

EDIT: He's back after getting it pulled back into position. Tough guy.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#10 » by goodboy » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:11 am

Come on beat em Spurs
Bright
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#11 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:27 am

I look forward to playing you Wednesday. I wish LMA rested on Wednesday instead. come to the heat board and be our friends, I'm sorry for 2013.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:43 am

First and foremost, I very much hope that Anderson's injury is not serious. His screams were chilling. Hoping for good news and a quick recovery.

(X-rays negative, Spurs say it's a "left medial knee sprain", MRI to determine possible MCL strain http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21658938/kyle-anderson-san-antonio-spurs-exits-vs-oklahoma-city-thunder-left-medial-knee-sprain)

OKC - Pop chose this game for just about every regular rotation player to be out of the game after about 15 minutes. Anderson led with 22 minutes until he went down. And they won by only three points. OKC looked awful.

Still, I hate losing, and we could have actually had this one. Paul and Forbes had rough shooting nights (team wide, too many easy ones didn't go in), but Paul was busy on the D end, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, steal, block. I thought the players complained a bit too much for calls, not that I expect them to be robots, but at times it seemed as if they were driving for the call.

Really liked what Lauvergne and Bertans provided. They both shot really well, and played on both sides of the court. Started a bit tentative, but became more assertive as the game progressed, and adjusted well, Lauvergne to get O rebs from that beast Adams, Bertans with little things like getting to his D spot no later than when the pass got to his man, jumping out at his man on D then taking a step back to take away the drive, making the opponent adjust to him, and then of course all of his blocks, and running the floor like a gazelle. Lauvergne finished the game with 5-8FG (2-2 FTs), 6 rebounds (4 on O), 2 steals before he fouled out. Bertans was 6-12 (4-9 from the 3), 4 rebounds and FIVE blocks. They moved well, and sometimes - Bertans especially - had to adjust to getting to a spot because of broken O plays. They showed a lot more to their games than they usually get to, made a good impression overall. Smart players with skill and hustle.

I'd sort of forgotten White is on the team (sorry, Derrick), but credit to him for being ready and serviceable when his number got called. He was everywhere, energy and good D, with a team-high +14 in only 17 minutes (it's sort of a flat stat, but an indicator nonetheless).

Murray was the starting PG, and once again showed flashes of what excites fans about him, even now with his still learning to put it all together. He had solid stats 7-15 (3-5 FTs), 11 rebounds (3 on O), 5 assists, 3 steals, and a block (with 5 TOs), but watching him play for a longer period of time makes you appreciate what he brings on D right now, even if his O is still a bit erratic. I was impressed with his quickness and tenacity on D, and he got to the ball a lot for a PG; just one of those guys who has a nose for it and it finds him if you know what I mean. Great rebounding and defensive instincts. On O he holds the ball a bit too long, and sometimes gets tunnel vision, driving when he's got guys open to pass to. He's got the skills, if unpolished, and want to test the hell out of them, which is great to see, but he needs to channel them within the Spurs system. His leadership and game management will come with time and attention.

There was a stretch there at around 5-4 minutes left in the third that would've looked good slightly sped up and with the Benny Hill theme music playing. Then a timeout, and small ball and very solid D actually got a lead!

I like that whenever we give up a 3, the next play we look for one ourselves and almost always get it back. It was great to see the regular rotation players talking plays and instructing the young guys during timeouts. The whole system gets trickled down, players teaching each other. Huge respect.

Overall, despite some confusion on O, the D was solid throughout and I loved that we played with a lot of moxie. There was no backing down from All-Stars and the young guys rose to the mouthy MVP challenge. Westbrick gamesmanship only garnered better play from our guys. Loved it.

Heavy load coming up, with tomorrow completing the first of FOUR back-to-back games in December. It's a brutal schedule, so I expect more DNP-CD and 'post-injury management' rest in between. Lots of challenges, but that's the lot in the NBA. I expect us to rise to meet them head on. We have excellent preparation, more guys will have to step up, and these types of adversities tend to bind a team closer together. GO SPURS!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

Post#13 » by -Sammy- » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:29 am

If moral victories exist, this was a monumental one. OKC has been underwhelming, but at home against a skeleton crew from the 210, I can't imagine anyone expected us to give them a game. These are the kinds of galvanizing trials-by-fire that are going to pay dividends when this team is whole again and looking ahead to games in May.

Good energy to Kyle Anderson tonight; the negative x-rays are a good start, so here's hoping the diagnosis is good, too. Onward to the Pistons and South Beach (EDIT: Ha ha)!
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#14 » by Pillendreher » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:38 am

Told ya. Never underestimate our ability to play trash basketball, especially in the 2nd half.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Nolan » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:21 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:If moral victories exist, this was a monumental one. OKC has been underwhelming, but at home against a skeleton crew from the 210, I can't imagine anyone expected us to give them a game. These are the kinds of galvanizing trials-by-fire that are going to pay dividends when this team is whole again and looking ahead to games in May.

Good energy to Kyle Anderson tonight; the negative x-rays are a good start, so here's hoping the diagnosis is good, too. Onward to South Beach!

I wish I could give you about 10 and 1's for this homie. The bench mob/young guns kept this close and actually had a real shot at knocking off a team that's probably going to end up in the playoffs. Just let that sink in folks.

Our execution on both ends wasn't exactly great and we did throw away a few good chances late that would of put us in front but in the end amazing effort the end of the benchers.

Murray once again showcased why I'm so high on him. He had some sloppy turnovers and forced things a little too much at times but damn did he look amazing at times. Had a few excellent drives to the rim, played solid defense, straight up stole some rebounds from far bigger players and just showed off his poise and ability as a floor general. He's still got improvements to make, mostly related to his jumper and his finishing around the rim.

Bertans really played well on the offensive end. He knows how to get open and how to move off the ball. His jumper is just deadly. He did however get completely lost a couple times on defense, that PG13 three late in the game was all his fault.

Overall I'm not mad about this, good confidence building game for guys like Murray, Bertans, Paul, Joff, Forbes and White. On to the Pistons!
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#16 » by Pillendreher » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:48 pm

Nolan wrote:The bench mob/young guns kept this close and actually had a real shot at knocking off a team that's probably going to end up in the playoffs.

Not to hijack this thread, but good God we must really suck if us making the Playoffs is treated by other fans like something that will probably happen. :(

Good on you guys for getting people who are ready to play. We look like dead in the water after the first 18 minutes or so.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Nolan » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:19 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Nolan wrote:The bench mob/young guns kept this close and actually had a real shot at knocking off a team that's probably going to end up in the playoffs.

Not to hijack this thread, but good God we must really suck if us making the Playoffs is treated by other fans like something that will probably happen. :(

Good on you guys for getting people who are ready to play. We look like dead in the water after the first 18 minutes or so.

I only said probably because your currently sitting 9th, I'm like 95% sure you guys will make it.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#18 » by Pillendreher » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:25 pm

Nolan wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

I only said probably because your currently sitting 9th, I'm like 95% sure you guys will make it.

Well I had us at 62 wins ( :lol: ), so we need to be a little better than that for the rest of the way 8-) :lol:
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

Post#19 » by -Sammy- » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:39 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Nolan wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Well I had us at 62 wins ( :lol: ), so we need to be a little better than that for the rest of the way 8-) :lol:

Y'all are going to be there, no doubt; this is a team that's going to turn a corner soon and start clicking, in my opinion. You need more depth and in my opinion, Donovon's not the man, but y'all have too much top-end not to start jiving.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Nolan » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:49 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Well I had us at 62 wins ( :lol: ), so we need to be a little better than that for the rest of the way 8-) :lol:

62 may not happen... :lol:

But that roster is just too talented to miss out on the playoffs. Something needs to change for them to play like they can (Billy D's head has to be sitting on the block right now just waiting for the axe to drop) they'll get it together eventually and turn things around. At the very least they can be a defensive force with the PG13 Adams combo.

Return to San Antonio Spurs