Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

G A M E D A Y: Pistons (14-8) @ Spurs (15-8), 4 Dec, 730PM Central 

Post#1 » by -Sammy- » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:37 pm

WHERE: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
TV: FOX Sports Detroit & Southwest
VEGAS: O/U 198, Spurs -3.5

Fresh off a skeleton-crew loss but with our leading scorers rested, we'll have to muster second-night energy to handle the much-improved Pistons. We'll miss Leonard's defense on top Detroit scorer Tobias Harris (19.3ppg), who leads a balanced perimeter attack alongside Bradley and Jackson (16ppg+ apiece). Tangling with double-double machine Andre Drummond is essential to winning this one; dude's league-leading 15rpg create a ton of extra possessions for his Motor City squad.

Detroit's healthy, missing only reserve forward Jon Leuer (ankle).

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: G A M E D A Y: Pistons (14-8) @ Spurs (15-8), 4 Dec, 730PM Central 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:11 pm

This is going to be a tough one. The Pistons have a lot of weapons on both ends.

Matchups and the battle in the paint/on the glass are going to be the keys to this one. LMA has to get the best of Drummond and whoever we match up against Harris has to make him work on the defensive end.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:40 pm

I never thought I would be saying this 2 months ago but we are going to miss Anderson offensively tonight. Whoever gets his minutes (Paul or whomever)tonight needs to move and create space and shoot without hesitation. There was way too much indecisiveness last night with soo many role players on the floor.

The Pistons have been playing better but they are pretty easy to prepare for. Keep Harris from going off(no open threes) and watch Drummond going to the basket off the ball. And stop turning the ball over carelessly...
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#4 » by ducler » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:21 pm

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:33 am

Rudy getting the start at the 3 tonight.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:08 am

WE NEED SOME NASTY. LET'S GO!

Settling for jumpers too much. That Gasol to LMA high-low is there a lot. LMA far too tentative, more of a finesse big even closer to the basket. Needs to find a mean streak pronto and come up with it with two hands, with authority.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:29 am

I'm not saying any game is lost solely because of bad calls, but we've had a bad stretch of phantom calls against us. That weird delay of game yesterday comes to mind, a couple more tonight.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:54 am

Whew! Got the win at least. I don't know if any of you suffer through the Detroit feed like I have to living here. The Detroit broadcasters are beyond homer. I dont even think they are watching the same game sometimes.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#9 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:11 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I'm not saying any game is lost solely because of bad calls, but we've had a had stretch of phantom calls against us. That weird delay of game yesterday comes to mind, a couple more tonight.

WHOA Grey? You're a Spurs fan now?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:18 am

JaysRule15 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:I'm not saying any game is lost solely because of bad calls, but we've had a had stretch of phantom calls against us. That weird delay of game yesterday comes to mind, a couple more tonight.

Et tu, JR15? :wink: It's not just 'now' as the Spurs have been a perennial home-away-from-home favourite. After the backtracking on that big sales pitch of change, something snapped and I decided to stop railing against the BS and just throw all of my support for a team I'd long spoken admiration about and for, one that does what it says, plays the right way, and holds everyone accountable. I'm done supporting a team that gives lip service to the right things (same thing happened to me with the Kessel-led Leafs, until Shanny and Babcock were brought in. Now they do what they say, play the right way, and that's simple and hard and essential and is of great value). What's that Russian proverb - "Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."

So tl;dr - with all my heart, YES.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:25 am

imagump1313 wrote:Whew! Got the win at least. I don't know if any of you suffer through the Detroit feed like I have to living here. The Detroit broadcasters are beyond homer. I dont even think they are watching the same game sometimes.

I'm not in SA either, so I always stream the games, and the good thing is you get to choose home or away feeds. I always choose the home ones. The commentators are balanced, fair, explain Spurs plays between whistles, just excellent.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:40 am

Phew! And YES!! Despite weird calls against us and turnovers that made you want to pull your hair out, I had a strong feeling we could actually pull out a win. The whole fourth Q I kept saying I really want to win this game because we kept fighting back, and matched each Piston run with one of our own.

That final call against the Pistons which gave us FTs after a badly missed shot kind of made up for the several strange calls against us. I don't have a problem with calls going against us, just with ones that make no sense or are outright egregiously bad. Had that same final call been against the Spurs, I'd have hated it, but accepted it because it was the right call. This was a tightly reffed game for both sides. Kudos to Pop for keeping his cool the last several games and making his case to the refs on the sidelines. Also, very sharp suit and tie tonight.

I take back what I said about LMA. He was a stat-stuffing, clutch FT-shooting stud. Yes the FG% was low, but the 10 rebounds and four assists, with the huge 7-7 from the FT was central to our win. He was the focal point for the Pistons D, and had rough 1st and 3rd Qs on O (missed all his shots outside the key; Pistons tried to get him out of his pet spots or rush his shots, and sometimes they were the right position and timing but just didn't bloody go in). All but one of his shots that went in were inside the key, and the commentators kept reiterating that the ball should go inside more often. The times it did, he was successful more often than not. Same thing for Pau - 6-13, 10 rebounds, four assists, two blocks, 2-2FTs, with five of six made shots being in the key. Of course, Pistons didn't make it easy, but despite the gripe I had about the lack of aggressive play in securing the ball and throwing it down strongly or driving more, we got just enough out of the plays to help us secure a good win.

The fourth Q had a great balance of clutch 3s and points in the paint. There were some cold shooting stretches, and I'm glad we kept trying different things to get points, from shot selection to pace to causing turnovers that led to points -- though we had more turnovers (17-10), we actually got more points off of theirs (14-9). And yeah, about not shooting so many 3s - nevermind. 45.2% tonight. Spurs D was excellent. Jackson was annoyingly good, but we were able to contest them enough to contain such damage from anyone else. Pistons hurt themselves with terrible FT shooting, but we helped ourselves with a perfect 12-12 night.

Rudy Gay also made a vital contribution tonight. He's got that deceptive sleepy rhythm, like time operates a little more slowly in the physics of his universe, and then all of a sudden he gets up for a key block - only the Pistons' final shot, no big deal :wink: , makes an amazing pass to a rolling LMA, skies and hustles for rebounds on both ends. 5-12 (1-3 from the 3), 1-1FT, 10 rebounds (4 O, 6 D), four assists, two blocks. Really solid all around.

Spurs had seven players in double figures, and we needed a complete team effort tonight. Green, Bertans, Mills, and Gino all shot 50% from the 3, nearly all 50% FGs, and all provided support with rebounds and assists. Manu Nanu led the team with 4TOs, but he always tried to make it up with a steal or taking a charge or making a 3. You know something is always coming soon after he messes up to make up for it. Such a beautifully responsible player.

This was the second game of a back-to-back in which we defended home against a team that was hungry after a two-game losing streak and had a 6-2 record against the West. Our own record against +.500 teams isn't great, but we're coming together to improve it. Very solid fight throughout, with a 51-42 edge in rebounds, and double the assists, a very Spurs-like 30 to their 15. We kept battling back, and when it mattered most, played best team ball on both ends in the fourth. Great team win. On to the next one...

So while we're figuring things out and adjusting to injuries, return from injuries, etc., Spurs have the second best defense so far, and lead the league in OPP PPG with 97. That's not boasting, but indicative of sticking to a high standard despite challenges. Guys step up and are there for each other.

Noteworthy team and individual achievements:
The Spurs are 36-0 since 2015 when they have 29-plus assists.

Patty Mills joined Manu Ginobili and Matt Bonner as the only reserves in franchise history to make 500 3-pointers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400975099

I love this team. GO SPURS!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#13 » by -Sammy- » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:31 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
Spoiler:
Phew! And YES!! Despite weird calls against us and turnovers that made you want to pull your hair out, I had a strong feeling we could actually pull out a win. The whole fourth Q I kept saying I really want to win this game because we kept fighting back, and matched each Piston run with one of our own.

That final call against the Pistons which gave us FTs after a badly missed shot kind of made up for the several strange calls against us. I don't have a problem with calls going against us, just with ones that make no sense or are outright egregiously bad. Had that same final call been against the Spurs, I'd have hated it, but accepted it because it was the right call. This was a tightly reffed game for both sides. Kudos to Pop for keeping his cool the last several games and making his case to the refs on the sidelines. Also, very sharp suit and tie tonight.

I take back what I said about LMA. He was a stat-stuffing, clutch FT-shooting stud. Yes the FG% was low, but the 10 rebounds and four assists, with the huge 7-7 from the FT was central to our win. He was the focal point for the Pistons D, and had rough 1st and 3rd Qs on O (missed all his shots outside the key; Pistons tried to get him out of his pet spots or rush his shots, and sometimes they were the right position and timing but just didn't bloody go in). All but one of his shots that went in were inside the key, and the commentators kept reiterating that the ball should go inside more often. The times it did, he was successful more often than not. Same thing for Pau - 6-13, 10 rebounds, four assists, two blocks, 2-2FTs, with five of six made shots being in the key. Of course, Pistons didn't make it easy, but despite the gripe I had about the lack of aggressive play in securing the ball and throwing it down strongly or driving more, we got just enough out of the plays to help us secure a good win.

The fourth Q had a great balance of clutch 3s and points in the paint. There were some cold shooting stretches, and I'm glad we kept trying different things to get points, from shot selection to pace to causing turnovers that led to points -- though we had more turnovers (17-10), we actually got more points off of theirs (14-9). And yeah, about not shooting so many 3s - nevermind. 45.2% tonight. Spurs D was excellent. Jackson was annoyingly good, but we were able to contest them enough to contain such damage from anyone else. Pistons hurt themselves with terrible FT shooting, but we helped ourselves with a perfect 12-12 night.

Rudy Gay also made a vital contribution tonight. He's got that deceptive sleepy rhythm, like time operates a little more slowly in the physics of his universe, and then all of a sudden he gets up for a key block - only the Pistons' final shot, no big deal :wink: , makes an amazing pass to a rolling LMA, skies and hustles for rebounds on both ends. 5-12 (1-3 from the 3), 1-1FT, 10 rebounds (4 O, 6 D), four assists, two blocks. Really solid all around.

Spurs had seven players in double figures, and we needed a complete team effort tonight. Green, Bertans, Mills, and Gino all shot 50% from the 3, nearly all 50% FGs, and all provided support with rebounds and assists. Manu Nanu led the team with 4TOs, but he always tried to make it up with a steal or taking a charge or making a 3. You know something is always coming soon after he messes up to make up for it. Such a beautifully responsible player.

This was the second game of a back-to-back in which we defended home against a team that was hungry after a two-game losing streak and had a 6-2 record against the West. Our own record against +.500 teams isn't great, but we're coming together to improve it. Very solid fight throughout, with a 51-42 edge in rebounds, and double the assists, a very Spurs-like 30 to their 15. We kept battling back, and when it mattered most, played best team ball on both ends in the fourth. Great team win. On to the next one...

So while we're figuring things out and adjusting to injuries, return from injuries, etc., Spurs have the second best defense so far, and lead the league in OPP PPG with 97. That's not boasting, but indicative of sticking to a high standard despite challenges. Guys step up and are there for each other.

Noteworthy team and individual achievements:
The Spurs are 36-0 since 2015 when they have 29-plus assists.

Patty Mills joined Manu Ginobili and Matt Bonner as the only reserves in franchise history to make 500 3-pointers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400975099

I love this team. GO SPURS!

Awesome summary-- thanks for this! I wasn't able to watch the game, though I got to listen to bits of it while in transit, so this writeup was perfect.

I've been saying all season that there are 29 teams playing for second-place this season, and unfortunately, I do believe that, but what I want is for us to at least be the squad that give the Ws the hardest fight on their way to the title. Everyone keeps buzzing about the Rox (rightly so), but playing without our centerpiece for this long, pulling down as many Ws as we have in the process, is like putting money in the bank for when we're 100%, and it could well pay off with us being the crew across from GS in the conference finals.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Nolan » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:23 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Whew! Got the win at least. I don't know if any of you suffer through the Detroit feed like I have to living here. The Detroit broadcasters are beyond homer. I dont even think they are watching the same game sometimes.

I'm not in SA either, so I always stream the games, and the good thing is you get to choose home or away feeds. I always choose the home ones. The commentators are balanced, fair, explain Spurs plays between whistles, just excellent.

I feel like we low key have the best broadcast crew in the league. Sean and Bill are excellent!
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#15 » by JaysRule15 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:32 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:

Et tu, JR15? :wink: It's not just 'now' as the Spurs have been a perennial home-away-from-home favourite. After the backtracking on that big sales pitch of change, something snapped and I decided to stop railing against the BS and just throw all of my support for a team I'd long spoken admiration about and for, one that does what it says, plays the right way, and holds everyone accountable. I'm done supporting a team that gives lip service to the right things (same thing happened to me with the Kessel-led Leafs, until Shanny and Babcock were brought in. Now they do what they say, play the right way, and that's simple and hard and essential and is of great value). What's that Russian proverb - "Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."

So tl;dr - with all my heart, YES.

Wow, good on you for taking a stand Grey. I'm tired of Raps management promising changes and then doing nothing as well. How Casey survived this long with those rotations of his are beyond me. It sucks watching teams like Philly, Boston, and Milwaukee pull ahead while we stay on the treadmill. I'm tired of getting embarrassed in the playoffs every year.

Yeah, I'm a big Spurs fan as well. They're my favorite team in the West. Have liked them ever since they stood up to those LeBron-led Heat superteams that ruined the NBA and created this new era we're in now :noway: Plus Bombsquadsammy and I go way back :D .

I'm really liking what the Leafs have done. Brought in the right management and had a focus on building through prospects. Hopefully the Jays can do the same starting next year. Too bad the Raps look like they'll be riding this treadmill until 2020 at least though :(

Should be a fun game between the Spurs-Heat tomorrow.

Return to San Antonio Spurs