G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

GT: SPURS (30-17) vs. PACERS (24-22) January 21, 2018, 6pm CT 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:47 am

WHERE: AT&T CENTER, San Antonio, Texas

WHEN: January 21, 2018, 6pm CT

Our starters: LMA, Pau, Kyle, Danny, and Murray(!)

Out for us tonight: Kawhi, Rudy, and Manu.

Time for some home cooking! A welcome seven of eight game stretch at home to recharge and get some consistency going.

Pop is inserting Murray into the starting line-up for some energy, and is having Tony come off the bench for some balance in leadership and production.

LET'S GO, SPURS!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: GT: SPURS (30-17) vs. PACERS (24-22) January 21, 2018, 6pm CT 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 am

I'm trying to watch but this is the ugliest game Ive ever seen. Its actually worse than watching a Pistons game.
We cannot throw the ball into the ocean again and there is no movement on offense. A couple dribbles and throw the ball behind you for a weak three attempt or just turn it over.
Now because no one can hit a three everyone is hesitating making it worse. We dont have anyone healthy who can take the ball to the basket and score right now.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 am

Al Jefferson is killing is which is a sign of how bad this game is.......
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 am

Ugh, no way we were going to win that game. Way too many lazy turnovers. Patty Mills has been a dumpster fire but still gets the bulk of minutes. I know Tony Parker is still on a minutes restriction but I dont understand why he is not playing at the end of games. I'm not saying we should be depending on an old Parker but he is much, much better at protecting the ball and taking a decent shot than Mills.

I would rather see Murray turn the ball over at the end of games because he is young rather than seeing Mills miss shots and turn it over for no reason.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 am

imagump1313 wrote:Ugh, no way we were going to win that game. Way too many lazy turnovers. Patty Mills has been a dumpster fire but still gets the bulk of minutes. I know Tony Parker is still on a minutes restriction but I dont understand why he is not playing at the end of games. I'm not saying we should be depending on an old Parker but he is much, much better at protecting the ball and taking a decent shot than Mills.

I would rather see Murray turn the ball over at the end of games because he is young rather than seeing Mills miss shots and turn it over for no reason.

Our minds were not in this one, plain and simple. Rather than getting energy from a league-best home record - built by great play throughout the season thus far - we came home hiding behind the record as if it would shield us from opponents.

Turnovers on one end and SO MANY MISSED SHOTS - AGAIN - on the other did us in. We kept shooting outside shots when that's precisely what wasn't falling. When TP drove at least he either created opportunities for putbacks or fouls or got it in. But our focus was just subpar.

A disappointing showing when we need each game, home all the more.

Come on Spurs, you can do better than this!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

Post#6 » by -Sammy- » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 am

BIG THANKS to the homegirl GREY 1769 for hooking up the gameday thread; I was in the wilderness all weekend, and it's awesome that we have a team here that picks up the slack.

I just wish her thread carried better news. I'm looking over the highlights and box score now; do y'all think it's fair to say we're running out of steam? I feel like the way the injuries are stretching us so thin is taking its toll.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:BIG THANKS to the homegirl GREY 1769 for hooking up the gameday thread; I was in the wilderness all weekend, and it's awesome that we have a team here that picks up the slack.

I just wish her thread carried better news. I'm looking over the highlights and box score now; do y'all think it's fair to say we're running out of steam? I feel like the way the injuries are stretching us so thin is taking its toll.

We just couldn't make a shot to save our lives. We win that game by 10 or more on any other night if we just shoot normally. The lazy turnovers seem to be a bad theme with this group. They have been doing it all year.

Our problem is the injuries because we are relying on people to do things they are not used to doing, mainly create shots for themselves. It seems like most of the guys on this team who can create their own shot are hurt. (Leonard, Gay, Ginoibli, Parker)

I'm not exactly sure the injury status of Green and Parker. Lately they seem to never be in the game late in the 4th but yet we have turnover machines playing key minutes. This is starting to concern me.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#8 » by jptremblay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Seems that Patty and Aldridge have no limit of shots to take, no matter how they are playing. I don't know why we never look for Pau in the post when Aldridge is inefficient there...he still can provide some shot creation instead of being park at the 3pt line...
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 pm

It was just a mental fog that, despite some good spurts of execution, we couldn’t get out of.

LMA is obviously our main offensive cog, and to get him off his game, the Pacers implemented a simple yet effective strategy. They pressured him early and often, doubling him to force him into quicker decisions to either pass or shoot out of rhythm, to get him out of him comfort zones on the floor, and to dare him to shoot from the outside, where he’s struggled a bit of late. And it worked.

LMA put together another double double, but it was well below his 22.3 point average – 10 points (5-14) and 10 rebounds (6 O, 4 D), with an assist, and a block. He was working hard on both ends, but other Spurs missed shots when LMA did well to read doubles and pass it out to open team mates. It just didn’t open up enough of the floor for us.

Kyle also had 10 points on very good 4-6FG (2-4 from 3), and more importantly, was impactful in so many areas of the game. He had 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals, and 3 blocks. Slo-Mo is unheralded, but he is delivering. He had the kind of all around game we perhaps expect more from Danny, whose struggles continue on the stat sheet (in this game, it was 2-9 shooting for 5 points, 1 rebound, and 3 assists), but whose presence and experience extend beyond what numbers show. With so many vets out, he is an important steadying force for us.

Murray, in his first official start after being given the reins by Pop, showed flashes of what we love and sigh about, pitching in 8 points (3-8, 0-1 from 3, 2-2FTs), and grabbing 7 rebounds, which was fantastic. He also had 4 assists that were tempered by 4 turnovers, but balanced out by 3 steals, and a block. I think he’s increasingly playing within himself, making a concerted effort to look for team mates on the fast break, so while he has a lot to learn, there’s a lot to work with. I only hope that in those times when there’s more stick than carrot from Pop like there was for Tony, that Murray is steeled to take it the right way. This is an incredible opportunity for him, and a good attitude will serve him as much if not more than will his talent.

LMA has made 11 baskets in the last two games combined. While he got 25 shots in the previous game, the 2-8 in the first half versus the Pacers, and the mere 6 attempts in the second (where he shot 3-6) was as much a function of the Pacers’ defense as it was of our offense. Our shot attempts show an effort to distribute the load, be it by opportunity or design, but with too few Spurs having decent shooting nights, it was not a successful strategy.

Our other offensive woes resulted from initial play breakdowns and our players subsequently resorting to quick outside shots, when it was precisely these that weren’t falling. When we moved the ball crisply and purposefully, we did very well in finding the open man, but we didn’t move it enough to get their defenders moving side to side so as to penetrate for higher percentage shots.

An exception was the wonderful synergy that Pau and Tony – in his first official bench role – had together on the P&R, leading to another excellent night for Pau who had a team-high 14 points (6-8, 0-2 from 3, 2-3FTs), 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 blocks. Tony was also very efficient and productive, tying Bryn for a bench-high 12 points (5-10, 1-2 from 3, 1-2FTs), 3 rebounds, 5 assists (all to Pau).

Bryn’s 12 points came on efficient 4-8 (2-5 from 3, 2-5FTs, it’s strange how his FT shooting is so subpar), 3 rebounds, and an assist. He looked a bit overwhelmed in those times he started, but has been doing well in a more supplementary bench role. The bench was rounded out with Bertans (3-12, 1-8 from 3, 3 rebounds, an assist) and Mills (3-7, 2-6 from 3, a rebound, 2 assists) combining for 15 points, and both struggling a bit to find their accuracy. But it’s a team game, and they contributed to the 39 bench points that helped keep it within reach. Our bench players actually ended up taking 23 of the 40 second half shots, with Bertans’s 12FGAs second only to LMA. Davis is one of our go-to players for instant offense, and you take what the defense gives you (or you can manufacture), but I’m not sure he’s the one to keep taking them, especially since he wasn’t making the outside shot, yet all but one were long 2s or 3 attempts.

It ended up being a poor shooting night across the board, 42.7% FG, 26.5% from the 3, and just an unacceptable 58.3% FTs. These, however, are fixable issues, and I’m confident we will find a way. We did outrebound them 45-41, got 9 blocks, and had a solid 24 assists, but the 20 turnovers for 17 Pacers points, combined with 14 Pacers steals highlighted our sputtering offense, which unfortunately at times affected our defense. We didn’t do a very good job going over screens, got caught on mismatches and allowed them to exploit the P&R throughout the game.

We’re bit vulnerable right now and teams are looking to take advantage and make a statement against us. We were often out of sync and lacking energy. It shouldn’t have been the case that the best fit in the game was Pop’s sharp three-piece suit, and that he was our most animated guy. We have to stop looking around at other players to get something rolling, and start playing for each other.

I love this team. GO SPURS!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#10 » by Nolan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Way to pick up the slack with the GT Grey it's much appreciated. I've been so busy with life things lately I've been a bit MIA.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to San Antonio Spurs