Dejounte Murray the New Spurs Starting Point Guard?

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,691

Dejounte Murray the New Spurs Starting Point Guard? 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:56 am

In the 'not sure if serious' category, apparently Pop had a talk with Tony about DM taking over the starting position. I honestly thought Tony coming off the bench tonight was temporary to balance out an injured roster, one that needed more vet stability with Manu out.

But then Tony seemed to confirm the changing of the guard (sorry...) with reporters after the game against the Pacers. Either this is a troll job, or we are witnessing the lowest of low key transitions to a new era:

Tony Parker is no longer the Spurs starting point guard. Dejounte Murray started for the Spurs in Sunday's 94-86 loss to Indiana. Afterward, Parker confirmed he has lost his job to the second-year guard.

"Pop told me," Parker said. "He told me he thought it was time, and I was like, 'No problem.' Just like Manu (Ginobili), just like Pau (Gasol), you know that day is going to come. If Pop sees something that is good for the team, I will try to do my best...I will support Pop's decision, and I will try to help DJ as best as I can and try to be the best I can in that second unit with Manu and Patty (Mills)."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-no-longer-Spurs-starting-point-guard-12513985.php

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

To be honest, I don't feel DM is ready. I hope he proves me wrong and he does a phoenix-like rise from being thrown into the fire.

If true, I feel a bit sad about this, but acknowledge that Parker's been getting beaten by faster PGs at times. Still, when they get past him, his quick hands have been getting us a lot of steals. Maybe they're playing the long game and saving Tony for the post-season? I can't (yet) see us starting Murray in the playoffs...

Some things to keep in mind: Tony's in a contract season. He's a FA after this year, earning just shy of $15.5M. I can't imagine Tony being traded, nor can I imagine him signing anywhere else. So what I think what happens is that Tony signs for a Manu type of contract, great value that helps the Spurs (we still have Timmy on the books this year) and we still get his on-court contribution and off-court mentoring.
*Patty's not been given the reins - imagump is likely thrilled
*it's no secret we've been in the market for a younger PG
*are we showcasing Murray or Patty? (among others?) Pure speculation here, but Kemba's apparently available. I can't recall the last time we made an in-season trade, though. It's just not a Spurs thing to do.

If true, I hope this isn't a waving the flag for making waves in the post-season. What I am sure of is that, if true, this is not a decision made on a whim, but it does come with a lot of unknowns.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: Dejounte Murray the New Spurs Starting Point Guard? 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 am

Such stark honesty on Pop's end; such grace on Tony's. Only in a relationship forged over years of playing together, tough love on the court and in video sessions, and embraces for reaching the highest level can a conversation of this magnitude be so respectful and understated.

Tony Parker received the news before the game from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"I think it's time," Popovich said.

"No problem," Parker replied.

Parker's comments offered clarity to a situation clouded by confusion up until that point.

Murray got the start, but there was no announcement from the Spurs regarding the change.

Afterward, Popovich was asked if Murray would be the starter going forward.

"We'll see," he said.

"I am still planning on being very productive," Parker told a couple of reporters just outside the locker room. "I think I showed it tonight. I will try to be productive and come in and run the team the best I can."

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-passed-torch-to-Murray-before-loss-against-12514099.php

So more change in a season already full of so many. Just have to ride the waves, and wish DJ the best in his new role. I like TP, Manu, Rudy bench potential. And besides, it's important to give DJ a chance in the position, regardless of whatever future decisions about starting line-ups are made. Change now, on the road to stability at a higher level.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Patty's not been given the reigns - imagump is likely thrilled

I love Patty, the 10-20 minute a night Patty. Not the 20-30 minute a night Patty. :D

I'm proud of how Parker is handling it. I really didn't think he would accept it soo easily. I remember reading an article just last year where he was saying he wanted to play 5-6 more years. It just goes to show how he's learned his role from Timmy and Manu's examples I think.

As I mentioned in the game thread though, I'm still a little surprised we don't see Parker more in crunch time of games regardless of whether he is starting or not. Especially with how we turn the ball over soo much.

I think its pretty obvious that the team has put teaching and getting guys experience above winning in the regular season this year. I think Leonard's injury has accelerated that process and moving Murray into the starting lineup is the next step.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#5 » by UDRIH14 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:46 pm

the season is loss atm, they need to fast track speeding up the development of murry....dont want FO to waste another future pick looking for a pg to develop...

they need to show kawhi they are going to surround him with talent, or his leaving...if his leaving...they banking on murry as future face of the spurs?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#6 » by Nolan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm

I love it. I was for it earlier in the season and I really think its the best move for both players. Tony gets easier matchups off the bench and his work load gets decreased a bit as well while Murray works better with LMA and Kawhi (when he returns) and just brings a different dynamic to the starting 5.

It's going to be interesting to see how Patty and Forbes are effected by this long term. We've been using a lot of very small Maverick esk lineups lately but once Gay and/or Kawhi come back things will get a tad interesting.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 am

Dejounte has made some strides in his decision making and Js, and we knew he had great D potential, but this is an eye-opening positive:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:51 am

High praise for Dejounte's improving game in an important match:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's really come a long way this season, and along the way has shown us - at least me, as I was doubtful when he was first given the starting job - why he belongs right where he is, and why the future with him is so exciting. He keeps raising the ceiling.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#9 » by Nolan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 pm

The progress he's made as a play maker over the last 10 or so games has been super impressive. He's far more aware and he's starting to pass guys open now.

Still needs to work on that jumper but the kid is going to be a big part of our future.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:15 am

WOW. That's a lot of impact in a far shorter time than anyone else on that list.
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs