Spurs Off-Season

Moderator: G R E Y

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Spurs Off-Season 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:35 pm

Not a Spurs fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Spurs are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: Spurs Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Ballings7 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:15 pm

Re-sign Leonard. Yes, his quad, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt, and deal with it later.

I'd actually like to see them keep Gay if possible -- he had the missed games with the heel, but when he's played, he's been really good and helped them win several games this year. I really like his ability to create in selectivity, and then his athleticism (length + mobility) on defense in tandem with Aldridge, Murray, Green, Gasol, etc. in the paint. See the Houston game on ABC recently, vs. Portland on Saturday, at Miami, and the game vs. Boston as great examples.

Manu better come back to play with Leonard. I think he will.. losing him will be big if so though, and finding a replacement will be key for offense and energy off the bench at guard.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Frankie23
Sixth Man
And1: 312

Post#3 » by Frankie23 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:36 pm

Off season? I just wish Dejounte develops a jump shot and Doncic fall of the draft and lands with the Spurs
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#4 » by Nolan » Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:20 pm

Sign Leonard to that massive extension and resign Green (if he declines that PO) and Anderson.

We really don't have holes to fill; if Manu retires we've got 3 guys in Forbes, White and Paul all ready to take those minutes. Maybe move on from Joff and find another 3rd string big. But for the most part it should be and hopefully will be another boring offseason for us.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:13 am

I believe next season should be Danny's last with the team. He is in decline. If he wants a pay raise, gotta let him go. His shot has totally abandoned him.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
NYG
RealGM

Post#6 » by NYG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:30 pm

If Kawhi wants out, what kind of deal would appeal to the Spurs?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 pm

NYG wrote:If Kawhi wants out, what kind of deal would appeal to the Spurs?

I know this part doesn't answer your question but IMO he is dumb if he is sitting because he wants out. Thats the stupidest thing he could do at this point. That is the reason I believe he is still hurt and (like he said himself) he doesn't want to leave.

But to entertain your question, you probably wont like my answer.
If I am the Spurs, they are still in control. If he really does want to leave I'm going to be stubborn with my demands because we still have him under contract for next year.

Because of Aldridge's age and our roster, we are in a win-now mode for the next 2 years IMO. For this reason I want either a top 10 guy in return or 2 guys in the top 25 in the league. Kawhi was an MVP candidate after all, and i'm not accepting other people's garbage in return for him like Ive seen many people suggest as to what they would give up. Ive seen stupid offers like Milwaukee's J. Parker, Middleton and a pick, or the Clippers Lou Williams plus a couple trash players...etc

I would want top 10 in return. There are only a couple guys in the league that are in that category who have no chance at winning where they are. Guys like Giannis, Anthony Davis, Paul George(who I dont want)or Porzingis. At this time I wouldn't accept anything less than that because we dont have to trade him now.

Now if this continues into next season and he wants out, then I would be in the position to maybe blow things up and accept some first round picks and a lesser unproven player or players. At that point we would have a 2 years older Aldridge and would need to do something more drastic.

In speculation, if he really does want out we will have been through nearly 2 years of this and who know how good of a basketball player he will be having hardly played for 2 years? Leonard fits in our system and he flourished. I'm not so sure that would be the case elsewhere so I would wait it out until his contract is up.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 pm

IF he wants out and that's a big if the price tag would be pretty high. I'd probably be looking for a Kyrie plus type package and I actually think Boston would be our best trading partner if we do want to do a deal. I'd probably want one of Brown or Tatum and the Kings pick next year.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Nolan wrote:

IF he wants out and that's a big if the price tag would be pretty high. I'd probably be looking for a Kyrie plus type package and I actually think Boston would be our best trading partner if we do want to do a deal. I'd probably want one of Brown or Tatum and the Kings pick next year.

Atlanta would be another interesting option as well, makes no sense I know but Prince plus their pick this year is enough for me.
NYG
RealGM

Post#10 » by NYG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Nolan wrote:

Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris and 2019 Kings 1st for Kawhi Leonard and Patty Mills
(Marcus Smart gets signed and traded to a third team for a top 55 protected second round draft pick with the Celtics promising not to match as a result while also helping this deal be possible cap wise)
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#11 » by jptremblay » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:41 pm

- Sign Parker for a something friendly, 3 million x 2 years...(Right now he isn't much worth than the vet min, but for his loyalty...you know). Put Murray and White ahead of him.
- Try to convince Manu for the last ride for the vet min, becuase he still valuable, much more than Parker.
- Let Kyle walk out, he plays hard and does a lot of things well but he is just a really poor offensive player if he can't drive to the lane.
- Draft a center.
- Waive Brandon Paul.
- Stretch or waive or whatever you want Pau Gasol, he doesn't fit here and his contract is horrendous. He probably will demand it too because he's being misused and I doubt he wants to finish his career in a team that isn't contending while playing back up role.
- Salart dump Mills, even by losing some 2nd rounders.
- Resign Rudy Gay if he doesn't demand more than 10-12 millions a year. A 30x3 year deal would be great for the team.
- Resing Kawhi, because if not, the Spurs will land in the treadmill category.
- If Green accepts his player option, trade him for whatever you can get.
- Since Lebron may be impossible, take risk with some youngster with high upside like Randle, Jabari or Hood.
-Then sign a decent quality starter for the MLE like Reddick or KCP.

D. Murray/Derrick White/Parker
JJ Reddick/Ginobili/Forbes
Kawhi/R.Gay/Some guy that comes traded for salary match that is useful.
Jabari Parker/R.Gay/Bertans
Aldridge/Lavergnue/1st round pick

I prefer to blow it up but since Aldridge is resigned and Kawhi probably too there's not room to tank.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#12 » by UDRIH14 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm

parker, gino must go man
must salary dump patty/forbes/laurvgn/gasol, albatross contracts and unuseful in t odays league for softies
let green go also or get something out of him

as for kawhi? i want stacks of draft picks, not some scrub to match salary to make a deal work...

spurs could rebuild through the draft developing players...
i bring over hanga (30yr old who cant shoot but that can be fixed, could be better then bp3)
bring over that stash center spurs drafted last year
if murry doesnt improve his jumpshot, should trade him...(give white his pg job)

ps. those 3 pieces the spurs let go last year... :( how they wouldve became useful this year
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,655

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:58 am

I'm sure PATFO have a Rolodex of potential scenarios and subsequent options, but for now, here's a layout of our guys and their impending status. Keep in mind that Manu didn't decide about returning until July 18 last year, and he said it takes him a couple of months to determine how he feels, so until then, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Manu plays again. We have unfinished business.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#14 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:46 am

Just wondering how you guys view Kristaps Porzingis given the Spurs' alleged "head over heels" interest in him?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 am

Worst_to_First wrote:Just wondering how you guys view Kristaps Porzingis given the Spurs' alleged "head over heels" interest in him?

I like him. Its going to take someone like him being offered to even get the Spurs to listen. IMO, because he might not play at all next year that it would take a lot more than just him to get Leonard. I think we are still in a win-now mode because of Aldridge's age so waiting a year for Porzingis might not be ideal at this time.

Porzingis seems to be a bit injury prone and I didn't like his comments about being "tired" early in the season before he got hurt. (which is funny considering Leonard was out all season) but Kawhi is considered a top 5 player in the league and he is signed for next year. Which means the Spurs can ask for the moon and the stars for him right now.
Plus the salaries arent even close and I doubt we want to take on any of the bad contracts the Knicks have.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,655

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:15 am

Worst_to_First wrote:Just wondering how you guys view Kristaps Porzingis given the Spurs' alleged "head over heels" interest in him?

"Alleged" is the key word here, at least for now, at least until there is a more credible source than NY Daily News. With all the strangeness swirling around the Kawhi situation, the vultures are circling, and we're going to hear a lot of variations on this theme, so best to keep this in mind throughout them all:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#17 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:19 am

imagump1313 wrote:

I like him. Its going to take someone like him being offered to even get the Spurs to listen. IMO, because he might not play at all next year that it would take a lot more than just him to get Leonard. I think we are still in a win-now mode because of Aldridge's age so waiting a year for Porzingis might not be ideal at this time.

Porzingis seems to be a bit injury prone and I didn't like his comments about being "tired" early in the season before he got hurt. (which is funny considering Leonard was out all season) but Kawhi is considered a top 5 player in the league and he is signed for next year. Which means the Spurs can ask for the moon and the stars for him right now.
Plus the salaries arent even close and I doubt we want to take on any of the bad contracts the Knicks have.

If Kanter opts out I think Knicks would have the space to absorb Kawhi's contract.

Nevertheless, if Bud was able to unlock Tim Hardaway Jr's potential Pop would be able to do so as well.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by imagump1313 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:If Kanter opts out I think Knicks would have the space to absorb Kawhi's contract.

Nevertheless, if Bud was able to unlock Tim Hardaway Jr's potential Pop would be able to do so as well.

Porzingis/Hardaway seems to fit salary-wise but IDK man. I might actually like that deal if Porzingis was healthy. I like Hardaway and his salary isn't that terrible. We were paying Parker close to what he is making. The killer though is Porzingis isnt playing anytime soon and I dont think the Spurs want to go total rebuild at Aldridge's age. Even if Porzingis plays at all next year he wont have a chance to be the guy he was until the following season.

With Leonard and Aldridge healthy, and the Spurs make a minor right move or two they are contenders next year. Unless they know without a shadow of a doubt that Leonard is opting out after next season I want a deal that almost guarantees we contend next year if I am the Spurs. Just adding Hardaway and Porzingis the next year doesnt do that IMO
humbertomakris
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#19 » by humbertomakris » Tue May 1, 2018 8:11 am

Its common knowledge in Greece that Milutinov will be called up by the spurs this year, not too sure about Hanga, though probably depends on who the spurs choose to retain in the offseason. Miltutinov has made huge strides this year, and has become one of the best centers in Europe, He'll be a positive surprise next year. Hezonja, jerami grant could be good buy low prospects. Parker has to take a pay cut, Ginobili comes back for another year, Green resigns for the same money long deal. One thing I'm curious about is if Patty Mills can fetch a decent trade return for the spurs, maybe with either of the Spurs picks ?
Frankie23
Sixth Man
And1: 312

Post#20 » by Frankie23 » Thu May 3, 2018 12:48 am

I'd like to trade Kawhi+ some salary dump (Gasol/Green?) for the 1st overall pick (get Doncic) and bring some big FA or even maybe 2.

Return to San Antonio Spurs