Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

G A M E D A Y: Pelicans (47-34) @ Spurs (47-34), 7PM Central 

Post#1 » by -Sammy- » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:03 pm

WHERE: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
TV: FOX Sports NOLA, FOX Sports SW
VEGAS: O/U 211.5, Pels -3.5

Last day of the RS, with plenty to be decided in the tighter-than-tight sub-50-win section of the Western Conference seeds. This game has shades of 2015, too, when we saw NO in our last game and swapped the 3-seed for the 6-seed with a loss. A win combined with a Portland loss against Utah gives us the 4-seed and homecourt in the first round, so let's hope for good news tonight!

imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: G A M E D A Y: Pelicans (47-34) @ Spurs (47-34), 7PM Central 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 pm

If I read things right with all the tiebreakers. We have the highest percentage chance of getting the 7th seed after tonight. I am somewhat rooting for that (which means we lose tonight)

If magically Kawhi does return(why have the Spurs still not announced he is done for the year?) we would get a Warrior team that is without Curry.
I'm not saying we could win that series(it would be interesting with Kawhi), but it is honestly the best scenario where we could overcome the Warriors in 2018.
If we get Kawhi back, somehow win a series against someone else and play Houston or GSW in the second round when they are healthy we aren't beating either. We need to get them while Curry is out.

Saying all this, if Kawhi isnt playing we arent beating anyone regardless so it doesnt matter. But there is still hope.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#3 » by ducler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:46 pm

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 pm

^Sammy - I think the game is in New Orleans tonight?

imagump1313 wrote:If I read things right with all the tiebreakers. We have the highest percentage chance of getting the 7th seed after tonight. I am somewhat rooting for that (which means we lose tonight)

Yeah, to be honest, after all that we've been through and given our road record, a potential first round match-up with a Curry-less GSW is actually ok. The other best-case scenarios are us 6th, but only if Portland is 3rd, and us 4th for home court, where we've been excellent.

I do hope we play better on the road tonight, just to show that we're rounding into playoff form. Without home court sealed or even likely (even if we win tonight, I believe we need some help from other teams), we need to figure out how to win on the road again. We can't afford not to. Simple as that.

imagump1313 wrote:If magically Kawhi does return(why have the Spurs still not announced he is done for the year?) we would get a Warrior team that is without Curry.
I'm not saying we could win that series(it would be interesting with Kawhi), but it is honestly the best scenario where we could overcome the Warriors in 2018.

I think they're waiting for Kawhi and his group to tell them whether or not he's ready. That chain of info seems to have been established and everyone's in a holding pattern. They haven't ruled him out, Kawhi hasn't ruled himself out, so the Spurs have ruled nothing out.

imagump1313 wrote:Saying all this, if Kawhi isnt playing we arent beating anyone regardless so it doesnt matter. But there is still hope.

That's the spirit! lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Well, here we are. This is it - our final game of the regular season. I hope the Spurs don't feel as I do, so relieved that tonight's outcome does not determine whether or not we are even in the post season that we don't play to our capabilities tonight.

Speaking of playing to our capabilities, we need some sort or mental gymnastics, get hypnotized into thinking we're at home or something, because our road reality and mentality have been less than stellar. We just need all our concentration and hustle on both ends for 48 minutes.

Looks like it's our 26th(?) starting line-up of the season:
Read on Twitter

As for who is not on the roster, it's still "... and then there was one."

The playoffs are a big challenge, but also a big opportunity, one we've overcome many obstacles to reach. The immediate challenge, however, is showing - mostly to ourselves, as I think it's mostly a mental hurdle at this point - that we can win on the road. Win this game, and regardless of whatever else happens, we've got some good momentum heading into the season that now counts the most.

GO SPURS GO!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:46 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I think they're waiting for Kawhi and his group to tell them whether or not he's ready. That chain of info seems to have been established and everyone's in a holding pattern. They haven't ruled him out, Kawhi hasn't ruled himself out, so the Spurs have ruled nothing out.

Yes I know what you mean. but there will be a point where him coming back might be a disruption.

Hypothetically, say we are playing the Blazers and we are somehow up 3-1 and playing great (I said hypothetically)and then Kawhi decides to play. What if we then lose that series? That wouldn't go over very well for anyone. What if our rotations are a bit sluggish because this team isnt used to playing with him or because he will obviously be rusty?
Now that is a big hypothetical because the only thing that has been working for us offensively is Aldridge with a little sprinkle if Ginoibli and others from time to time. But it is possible.
Its also possible he comes back and we play great. Or he doesn't come back at all. Its very possible that our season is over 4 or 5 games from tomorrow. Are they going to wait the whole time and not make a decision? Its going to be interesting.

I for one think he needs to play for his own sake. The 9 games he did play this year he was somewhat effective. Its the playoffs now. If we have a chance to win a series he needs to play even if he isn't 100%. I find it hard to believe he isnt at least a little better now than he was when he last played. We dont actually need him to be THE guy right now. But we do need someone to help defensively and to be a secondary scoring option when whoever we play doubles Aldridge. He should be able to at least do that to some extent. It would go a long way for him to at least give it a shot.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:22 am

Well, we are certainly playing like the 7th seed is ok.....
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#8 » by jptremblay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 am

imagump1313 wrote:Well, we are certainly playing like the 7th seed is ok.....

Against HOU our season was over...thankfully against a Warriors team without Curry may we have a shot. And maybe Kawhi tries to help the team in PO...who knows.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by imagump1313 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:01 am

We have no chance without Kawhi even if they dont have Curry, but we'll see
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#10 » by Nolan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Well that was ugly. We just looked completely gassed.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:58 pm

We started so well in the first quarter, moving assertively, passing confidently, getting the open lanes and shots. Our transition D to O was also quick, and though I’m still not crazy about taking a 3 even if it’s open in those situations (better to take it to the basket for a higher percentage shot and a potential foul), we were locked in to the task at hand.

Then AD, that freak of a guard-forward-center menace with great body control and foot movement got in our head. We don’t do well with athletes of this ilk – AD, Alphabet – and we tend to shrink to the outside once we get blocked a couple of times down low. But the thing is, there are ways to get through these walls (a lot of it is mental) like when Manu and Tony drove and used the basket and their bodies for protections from getting blocked. We didn’t do this often enough, though we did make jumpers to bring them out from under the basket.

It’s hard to win when LMA, who had 8 points at the half, finished the game with a tie for team-high 11 points (5-12 – well under his 23 points on 18 FGAs per game, 5 rebounds and a steal) with Tony and Murray (3-10, 5-5FTs, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and a block); a tough scoring night for Dejounte, but to his credit, he was aggressive in taking it to the basket all game long. Pau didn’t get enough looks (6 points on 2-4, 2-2FTs, 7 rebounds, 4 assists); that happens, and when it does other guys had to step up.

To that end, Rudy pitched in 8 points (3-10, 1-3 from 3, 1-1FT, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal), and Paul was a nice surprise with 10 points (4-6, 1-2 from 3, 1-2FTs). Also, it was great that Tony found his jumper (11 points on 5-10, 1-2FTs, 2 rebounds, 1 assist), largely because he had noticeably more bounce to his step. Bryn found his shot at just the right time (10 points on 3-9, 2-5 from 3, 2-2FTs, 1 rebound, 1 steal), too. Just as it was wonderful to see Manu step up and help carry us in the third and second last games of the season, so too was it great to see Tony and Bryn stepping up the last two games of the season. It’s perhaps small consolation given the loss, but we need momentum going in to the post-season, so it’s better to see these positive signs than still be waiting for them.

Danny (3-5, 2-4 from 3, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals) and Kyle (4-7, 1-1 from 3, 1-1FT, 5 rebounds, 1 steal) were efficient scorers but with too few shots between them, they combined for 18 points. They always contribute on the defensive end, whether their stats show it or not; we need them on both ends. But another low scoring quarter – 17 in the second to their game high 34 – was a huge difference. It has been the case this season when we take a big punch in a quarter and play well enough to otherwise stay with opponents, but we can’t afford to get down like that. It’s harder for us to come back than if we had a full team.

They wre determined to double LMA early and often, and that’s something we’re going to have to adjust to as it’s a simple go-to strategy for opponents. Everyone else will be needed to move into good positions for LMA to pass out to and look for odd-man advantages (make opponents pay for doubling LMA) or clear space for him to try and make a move.

We still needed Minny to win to get the seventh seed, but I’ll take it. We faltered at times this season, but our NBA leading defense, scoring-by-committee around the resurgence of LMA, and staying resilient in the face of a trying season gave us this post-season opportunity. It is a huge achievement, but it’s now the new floor. I love our team.

GO SPURS GO!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs