How has Rudy Gay been for you?

Moderator: G R E Y

no dice
Rookie
And1: 731

How has Rudy Gay been for you? 

Post#1 » by no dice » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Raptors fan here. We had Rudy for a short period of time and my impression of him was a dumb entitled player who just won the genetic lottery. I haven't followed the Spurs games this season but I saw a Different Gay this playoff especially game 5. He seemed to have built up some motivation towards his game and leveled up on his bball iq.

So how has he been? Has he progressed this season at all? Or just same old streaky scorer?
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Re: How has Rudy Gay been for you? 

Post#2 » by -Sammy- » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 pm

He's still basically the same player, but he played this year like a guy who finally knows what kind of player he is and is trying to be the best version of it. It's a far cry from the years when he lobbied for an all-star berth with videos and public pleas; he seems to know what he is now, and self-awareness is the difference between a boy and a man.

It's been refreshing to see, because as you well know, he's always been one of those guys who can thrill you one night and throttle you the next, but he's a very likeable person and it's hard to hate him even when he frustrates you.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Pretty much everything Sammy said. He is the same streaky player. As far as progression goes, he has been basically hurt all season. He came back sooner than expected but he hasn't been the same player he was all year. In fact, he finally started to actually move a little bit like he used to in the playoffs. He has the summer to get himself right physically and then we will really see what he has left. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings next season fully healthy.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,280

Post#4 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue May 1, 2018 12:21 am

I thought his defense was, at times, lazy. His offense was more inconsistent than I expected, too, though I would chalk some of that up to returning from injury. He also turned down open looks from 3 at times, only to settle for long 2s off the bounce.
His athleticism was still there, though, and like all his previous stops in the association you couldn't help but gawk at his potential at times.
He was very much a professional throughout his Spurs tenure and I'd expect him to have a nice season next year with the heel injury firmly in his rearview mirror. I doubt it will be with the Spurs unless they move Kawhi and somehow free up some cap space, but I'll be rooting for him regardless. Seemed like a good guy.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#5 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm

He opted out. Is there any chance he's resigned?

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 pm

He is gambling that he did enough last year for someone to give him more than the 8-9 million he was going to get here. He really started to look like himself in the playoffs finally but I dont know if that will be enough to get more. I would love to have him back but now it depends on the market.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#7 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:55 am

Rudy when he was healthy was key to this team staying afloat last year. Really liked him.

We probably don't make the playoffs without him. He won us some games with his 4th qtr play and rebounding, and knows how to score.

I'd honestly like him back in the same role next year, but he'll probably go to a team like Portland, Utah, or Indiana...
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to San Antonio Spurs