MEET LONNIE WALKER IV

Moderator: G R E Y

MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,347

Re: MEET LONNIE WALKER IV 

Post#41 » by MadDogSHWA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:36 pm

I can see this kid getting some good minutes with DeMar at the 2 and DeMar doing a lot of the creating on offense. In that scenario, he just needs to guard his man and make open 3's.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Post#42 » by G R E Y » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:11 pm

A 2018 rookie class poll conducted by nba.com shows some love for Lonnie from his fellow draftees:
For the 10th time in the last 12 years, NBA.com sat down with the rookie class at the annual Rookie Photo Shoot at the New York Knicks' practice facility. This year's group (of 36) answered seven questions about their class, as well as a few about the current player they most admire and what they're expecting as they make the jump to the NBA.

NOTE: Players were asked not to vote for themselves, college teammates or NBA teammates. (Some still did, and those votes were discounted.)

Which rookie will have the best career?

1. Wendell Carter Jr., Chicago -- 13%

2. Kevin Knox, New York -- 10%
Jerome Robinson, LA Clippers -- 10%

3. DeAndre Ayton, Phoenix -- 7%
Mohamed Bamba, Orlando -- 7%
Mikal Bridges, Phoenix -- 7%
Collin Sexton, Cleveland -- 7%
Lonnie Walker IV, San Antonio -- 7%

Which rookie was the biggest steal at where he was selected in the Draft?

1. Keita Bates-Diop (48), Minnesota -- 13%

2. Michael Porter Jr. (14), Denver -- 10%
Lonnie Walker IV (18), San Antonio -- 10%

4. Jalen Brunson (33), Dallas -- 6%
Gary Trent Jr. (37), Portland -- 6%

Which rookie is the most athletic?

1. Zhaire Smith, Philadelphia -- 24%

2. Hamidou Diallo, Oklahoma City -- 15%
Josh Okogie, Minnesota -- 15%
Lonnie Walker IV, San Antonio -- 15%

5. Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento -- 6%
Miles Bridges, Charlotte -- 6%

What will be the biggest adjustment for you, playing in the NBA?

1. Speed or pace of the game -- 31%

2. Schedule/Length of season -- 24%

3. Physicality (size and strength of opponents) -- 19%

4. Travel -- 10%

5. Lifestyle/Time management -- 8%

Also receiving votes: Conditioning, Playing NBA defense, Not having the ball as much

Last year:Physicality (size and strength of opponents) -- 37%

Worth noting: The top four answers on this question have been pretty consistent over the last few years.

What is the most important skill you need to develop?

1. Ball-handling -- 19%
Shooting -- 19%

3. Defense -- 14%

4. Playmaking/Reading the defense -- 11%

5. Everything -- 8%

6. Motor/Work ethic -- 6%
Strength -- 6%
Time management -- 6%

Also receiving votes: Basketball IQ, Communication, Confidence, Leadership

Last year: N/A

Worth noting: Good news for coaches: "Defense" got five times as many votes as it did last year.

http://www.nba.com/2018-19-nba-rookie-survey (first got wind of this from a poundingtherock.com article).

I like the broader context of the info in the last quote. It would be interesting to know Lonnie's answers for them.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#43 » by G R E Y » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:26 am

There's a new SLAMOnline article about Lonnie. It covers some now familiar ground - overcoming challenges, being a role model to his home town, having a unique personality - but adds some details about his interests, his path to basketball and eventually the NBA, and the newest member of the Spurs family, his puppy, Zola.
Read on Twitter

More Than a Hooper: Lonnie Walker IV Is The World’s Most Interesting Rookie
“You know what I need one day?” Lonnie Walker IV asks.... “A black jaguar,” he says, casually spinning a basketball on his finger and posing for photographs. No, not the car. Lonnie has to clarify what he means. Like a real jaguar. The wild cat found in Central and South American rain forests.

“Or an albino tiger,” he adds with a smile.

The shoot has been going on for about 30-45 minutes, and Walker’s mind has begun to wander. That’s nothing new. Daydreaming is actually one of his most cherished activities. “I don’t think I’ve ever been bored before,” the 19-year-old says. Not with his ability to take himself elsewhere at any given moment.

Animals are often the subject of these daydreams. Lonnie is a huge Animal Planet fan and frequently watches the Discovery Channel. He has two dogs—a German Shepherd named Chico and a new Presa Canario named Zola, who has her own Instagram account.

But his interests extend well beyond that. For someone his age, in fact, they are strikingly diverse. Take his music library as an example. Walker listens to Frank Sinatra in the morning, but will seamlessly transition into pianist Danny Wright in the afternoon and to rappers like G Herbo and Pusha T at night. Asked which three people he would take to dinner if he could choose from anyone, dead or alive, he responds: Will Smith, Albert Einstein and Jeff Bezos....

His father, Lonnie Walker III, played for Alvernia University, recording over 1000 points and 1000 rebounds.... It meant there were large shoes to fill from the beginning, but Walker proved to be a special athlete. He dominated track and field competitions, averaged about six touchdowns a game as a running back in junior high and naturally excelled on the court. After receiving his first college offer from Holy Cross around the 8th grade, he zeroed in on hoops.

Basketball was never forced on Lonnie, which is one of the reasons he has such an extensive list of outside hobbies. His parents gave him the opportunity to figure out “who he was” by exposing him to many different walks of life and encouraging him to keep learning....

So who is Lonnie Walker IV? “Lonnie is a goofball,” Justin Kellman, his best friend and former teammate at Reading, explains. “He loves to have fun. He’s one of those people that doesn’t like negative energy around him. He’s such a positive soul and a genuine person.”

“I’m very laid back, never get annoyed,” Lonnie says. “I stay in my lane, don’t worry about other people’s business....”

In more ways than one, San Antonio seems like the perfect fit for him. There’s the fact that coach Popovich, not unlike Lonnie’s father, constantly urges his players to expand their horizons. Pop is a known foodie and wine connoisseur who has also been outspoken on political and social issues. The two have already had several dinners.

“I can’t even imagine their conversations,” Kellman says....

Walker has been told that veteran Manu Ginobili is similar to him in terms of his eagerness to absorb new information. They will both be attending a National Geographic event held in San Antonio in October. “On the Trail of Big Cats” is hosted by photographer Steve Winter and takes audience members inside the lives of rare cat species, like that black jaguar and albino tiger.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/lonnie-walker-iv/

I love that Lonnie is such a versatile and articulate person, although all that talk of his hunger for greatness raises already high expectations on the court. There will be growing pains, so hopefully he and the fans are patient, but he's in the right place to best develop his game. There's also some symmetry to our lucking out in the draft with such an engaged player on the rise. We have a renewed sense of focus and purpose on the team, and Lonnie's positive energy is a valuable part of that.

For those interested, here is more info about “On the Trail of Big Cats”.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#44 » by G R E Y » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#45 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 5, 2018 2:40 am

It's getting harder to stay levelheaded about my expectations of Lonnie. It's not fair to thrust him into an unrealistic spotlight, but after the season we've had and with him sounding cooler in every interview, I'm loving Lonnie's attitude and approach all the more and I'm excited about how these will help grow his already talented game.

An insightful read:

Meet the 19-Year Old Rookie Who’s Hooping in Pharrells & Giving Back to His Community
It only takes a few minutes of speaking with Lonnie Walker IV to understand why the San Antonio Spurs didn’t hesitate to select him when he was still on the board at No. 18. SLAM Magazine recently dubbed Walker as “The World’s Most Interesting Rookie.” He can speak thoughtfully equally on topics such as religion, world news and pop culture just as easy as he can talk hoops.

With an inquisitive nature and strong opinions on various worldly affairs, it’s easy to see why the 19-year-old has already developed a quick bond with coach Greg Popovich. While too young to indulge in any of his coach’s private label pinot noir, Walker is excited to have the opportunity to not only play for an organization that is the model to many in the NBA, but also arguably the league’s best coach....

Nice Kicks: How hectic have things been for you since being drafted?

Lonnie Walker IV:
It’s definitely a very quick transition because you’re talking about going to school for 19 years of your life, waking up at 8 AM, going to class, going to work out and it’s always been academics and basketball. Now, you have an immediate transition on strictly playing basketball and having some freedom here and there. It’s been pretty great and now transitioning into NBA life and living how most NBA players live, it’s ridiculous, honestly.

Nice Kicks: You were able to get your feet wet some during Summer League. How would you grade your performance and what was it like to finally get a small taste of what’s to come?

Lonnie Walker IV:
It was great just to get a first look at just how the NBA style is – the physicality, intensity and conditioning. Once I caught my rhythm, the game became a lot easier. I had a great time. I met a couple of teammates, played with two of them and it went well.

Nice Kicks: You and Pop have already gotten the chance to sit down several times with one another. What’s it like to now get to know him on a personal level?

Lonnie Walker IV:
It’s been a lot easier than I thought. Sometimes, when you see a guy in the media, you think certain things. I kind of thought Pop was a more critical guy but when you get to meet him, he kind of treats you like a son. He knows a lot about life on and off the court and that’s the type of person I am. Everything he talks about and the things he’s interested in are things that I love to listen to and think about also. Me and him have a really great bond and I’m just grateful to be a Spur.

Nice Kicks: Just from your short time in being a Spur, what are some of the things that make it a special program to be a part of?

Lonnie Walker IV:
It’s just the little things — how you approach life on and off the court. We have workouts at 7, [Pop] expects you to be there at 6:15. He doesn’t want you there at 7, 6:50 or 6:45. He’s very decisive about the time – don’t be late and just do everything the right way and try as hard as you can. As long as the technique is getting better day-by-day, that’s all he asks for. Right now, I’m just working on increasing my IQ, my technique and just getting stronger and better.

Nice Kicks: There was a time where adidas would have several rookies from draft classes signed. This draft, only you and Trae Young were signed. What’s it like to be one of those guys that they went after?

Lonnie Walker IV:
It just shows that they value the hard work. As the 18th pick – let alone going into the draft – I never thought about being signed by adidas or any brand. When they met with me, they gave me a lot more motivation because they saw something in me that no other brand did in just how they talked to me and respected me. They were really proud of my perspective, how I live and approach the game. I think adidas is a lot more different than any of their competitors just based on conversations like that. Adidas is more than just that name and brand and I’m just so grateful to have the outcome of partnering with them....

Nice Kicks: What are some of the personal goals for your rookie year?

Lonnie Walker IV:
My checklist is just centered on being the best player I can be whenever I touch that court. Whether it’s practicing, lifting, jogging — I just want to do everything with a purpose and just have a great outcome. I definitely want to become one of the top defensive players in this rookie class and that’s my focus. My offensive game will speak for itself.

http://www.nicekicks.com/meet-the-19-year-old-rookie-whos-hooping-in-pharrells-giving-back-to-his-community/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#46 » by Donald Kaufman » Wed Sep 5, 2018 3:22 am

I think people hoping he's the next Donovan Mitchell are probably going to be disappointed. Mitchell is the exception to the norm.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#47 » by imagump1313 » Wed Sep 5, 2018 1:26 pm

Donald Kaufman wrote:I think people hoping he's the next Donovan Mitchell are probably going to be disappointed. Mitchell is the exception to the norm.

Its more about opportunity and what the player does with it than anything else.

Mitchell was given the green light to succeed in Utah because they had no other choice. He seized it and ran with it which is great. If Detroit would have drafted him he wouldn't have had nearly the same opportunity and people would be looking at him as a regular player with potential. He wouldn't have had a chance to be the player people think he is now.

Walker isn't going to have a situation here to rise quickly like Mitchell did, plain and simple. Although he will have more of an opportunity now that Ginobili has retired.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#48 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 5, 2018 5:44 pm

Except literally no one - not any poster in this thread, not any coaches interviewed in the articles, not Lonnie himself - made any mention of hoping for Mitchell in reference to Lonnie. His own rookie peers voted Lonnie as one of the biggest steals in the draft, as one of the most athletic, and as likely to have one of the best careers. That's solid respect for a young player whose game has a lot of room to grow. Even with inevitable growing pains along the way, expectations of Lonnie by Pop and Lonnie himself are more than enough for fans to get excited about.

gump brought up a related issue, that Mitchell's progress is in part tied to opportunity; Lonnie's opportunity in minutes should also grow with better play, and affected by the play of teammates. The standards to which they raise their games, however, are internal - both from within player and from Spurs expectations. As a fan, it's exciting to see each player develop into his best self on and off the court.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#49 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Sep 6, 2018 1:19 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Except literally no one - not any poster in this thread, not any coaches interviewed in the articles, not Lonnie himself - made any mention of hoping for Mitchell in reference to Lonnie.

A quick Google search proves otherwise. Let me know if you want me to provide links.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#50 » by G R E Y » Thu Sep 6, 2018 1:28 am

Donald Kaufman wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Except literally no one - not any poster in this thread, not any coaches interviewed in the articles, not Lonnie himself - made any mention of hoping for Mitchell in reference to Lonnie.

A quick Google search proves otherwise. Let me know if you want me to provide links.

I qualified the context in which I spoke. It's in the quote you chose.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#51 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:18 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I qualified the context in which I spoke. It's in the quote you chose.

So what you're saying is - and please correct me if I'm wrong here - is that in the 6 or so people that post here, along with the coaches interviewed in the articles that you provided, no one compared LW4 to Mitchell?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#52 » by G R E Y » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:17 am

Donald Kaufman wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:I qualified the context in which I spoke. It's in the quote you chose.

So what you're saying is - and please correct me if I'm wrong here - is that in the 6 or so people that post here, along with the coaches interviewed in the articles that you provided, no one compared LW4 to Mitchell?

No. What I'm saying is that when you provide a sweeping general statement about people who hope Lonnie will be like Mitchell, I'll speak for the contexts in this thread and wherever they may extend out to ie/ opinions expressed in the articles. It would be more constructive to have specific examples as reference points, but without them, a couple of points: one, comparisons of styles of play should not be conflated with hopes or expectations that one player will be just like or have the same impact as another, and if Lonnie doesn't it's not a disappointment; two, for reasons already mentioned, tracking Lonnie's progress is interesting in and of itself; standards are internal.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#53 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:28 am

Are you a politician? If not, you should give it a try. I think you'd be great at it.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Thu Sep 6, 2018 4:29 am

Donald Kaufman wrote:Are you a politician? If not, you should give it a try. I think you'd be great at it.

Best to stay on topic and contribute to it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#55 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Sep 6, 2018 12:25 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Its more about opportunity and what the player does with it than anything else.

Mitchell was given the green light to succeed in Utah because they had no other choice. He seized it and ran with it which is great. If Detroit would have drafted him he wouldn't have had nearly the same opportunity and people would be looking at him as a regular player with potential. He wouldn't have had a chance to be the player people think he is now.

Walker isn't going to have a situation here to rise quickly like Mitchell did, plain and simple. Although he will have more of an opportunity now that Ginobili has retired.

True, good points. While I agree that the Jazz were limited offensively and needed Mitchell's output, I'm not sure Detroit couldn't of used his talent either.

I think it speaks more to who coached him. I think Snyder is a fantastic coach, one that's willing to take chances. Him and Stevens are the best minds in pro coaching today IMO.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#56 » by imagump1313 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:01 pm

Donald Kaufman wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Its more about opportunity and what the player does with it than anything else.

True, good points. While I agree that the Jazz were limited offensively and needed Mitchell's output, I'm not sure Detroit couldn't of used his talent either.

I think it speaks more to who coached him. I think Snyder is a fantastic coach, one that's willing to take chances. Him and Stevens are the best minds in pro coaching today IMO.

That's where the opportunity comes in. Detroit could have used his talent obviously but they wouldn't have given him the same opportunity Utah did. The Jazz had no other choice. No one knew what Mitchell could be, even the Jazz until he got a bunch of playing time and the green like to shoot and do whatever he wanted within their offense.
That was never going to happen in Detroit, especially with SVG who doesn't normally give players much freedom. Mitchell's success has as much to do with being in Utah and that situation as it does his actual talent IMO.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#57 » by G R E Y » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Lonnie's reaction is so endearing:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#58 » by Donald Kaufman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:46 am

He's Bizarro Kawhi.
morricana
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#59 » by morricana » Sat Dec 1, 2018 10:43 am

Yesterday lonnie walker debuted with the austin spurs, let's see what this guy is capable of. I have hopes placed in him.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#60 » by G R E Y » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Happy belated Birthday, Lonnie!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way