OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - Updated Schedule, Page 5

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, GREY 1769

GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 13,916

Re: OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - Updated Schedule, Page 5 

Post#121 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:02 am

Day 4 video summary of practices and scrimmages:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#122 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:05 am

Day 5 (9-8-2019) Blue vs. White Game Day!:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#123 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:00 am

Rosters Announced for USA White – USA Blue Exhibition Game in Las Vegas
Featured on the 15-member USA Blue Team are USA National Team World Cup training camp members Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat); Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets), Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); and Thaddeus Young (Chicago Bulls). Additionally, USA Select Team members De’Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings) and Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets) will suit up for the USA Blue, while USA National Team members Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors) and Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics) will attend but will not play due to injuries.

The 11-member USA White Team includes Select Team players Jarrett Allen (Brooklyn Nets); Marvin Bagley III (Sacramento Kings); Mikal Bridges (Phoenix Suns); Jalen Brunson (Dallas Mavericks); John Collins (Atlanta Hawks); Pat Connaughton (Milwaukee Bucks); Torrey Craig (Denver Nuggets); Jonathan Isaac (Orlando Magic); Jaren Jackson Jr. (Memphis Grizzlies); Mitchell Robinson (New York Knicks); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs). Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks) will miss the exhibition because of an eye-infection.

The USA National Team coaching staff features USA and San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. Serving as USA assistant coaches are Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr, Atlanta Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce and Villanova University head coach Jay Wright.

Former NBA head coach Jeff Van Gundy, who served as head coach of USA Basketball’s six 2017-19 World Cup Qualifying Teams and the gold medalist 2017 USA AmeriCup Team, will serve as head coach of the 2019 USA Basketball Select Team. Gonzaga head coach Mark Few, who was head coach of the 2015 U.S. Pan American Games Team, will serve as the USA Select Team assistant coach.

Following Friday’s intrasquad exhibition, selected USA World Cup Team finalists will take a short break and will reassemble in Los Angeles to train Aug. 13-15 and play an exhibition contest versus FIBA’s No. 2 world ranked team, Spain, at the Honda Center in Anaheim on Aug. 16 (7 p.m. PDT).

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/08/mnt-blue-white-teams.aspx
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#124 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:33 am

Catching up, the Blue Team USA defeated the Select Team White handily, despite the Select team keeping it far closer during scrimmages before this tilt. In fairness, a couple of players from the Select Team - Fox and Harris - were switched to the Blue Team, this after the former had already lost Young to injury.

The Blue Team started a bit slow, falling behind early in the game. But as it progressed and competitive juices flowed, Blue had waves of scoring, especially in the second quarter; after a quick first quarter lead, White Team had a difficult time scoring for much of the game. Despite some stages of the game in which the O was not yet flowing in the cohesive way it will be - some ISOs that stopped player movement, some erratic passes, and a lot of misses by both in the third, the defensive intensity was steady throughout. Guys got after each other which was good to see.

Although the team concept is being instilled in every practice, some players stood out: Fox was a blur, and Tatum had a really nice overall game with great offensive impact from the 3 and on creative drives. They're going to be dangerous in this tournament. Overall, I liked the competitive nature. It's early days and line-ups aren't even set yet (nor the team itself for that matter), but it's good to see the players buying in:

Read on Twitter

Highlights:
Read on Twitter

Box score:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2019/mnt/box-score-mnt-white-blue-game.aspx
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#125 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:41 am

Derrick had nice stats, but it frankly wasn't his best showing:
Read on Twitter

Some of it was lack of familiarity, guys not expecting passes. Other times it was pressure on him as a PG that contributed to his game-high seven turnovers. Still, at this stage of the game, and with his defensive instincts and familiarity with Pop's system, I think he had a fighting chance to stick with the team.

Shortly after the game, Derrick and Bagley (who has since decided to leave) were chosen for Team USA as one of the finalists competing for a spot.
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#126 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 am

Game interviews and quotes:
Read on Twitter

Team Blue Beats Team White 97-78 To Cap Off Men’s National Team Training Camp
National Team players got to show the progress they’ve made in a week of training camp in front of fans at T-Mobile Arena
“I think the biggest thing as far as my reads go is to slow it down,” Mitchell said. “A lot of time, and especially since this is my first year, is to go and a make a read out of that, understand where the big is at, understand where the help is coming from, and not only being on the rush. One of the things I’m really starting to work on coming off the pick-and-roll, even in transition, is going 100 miles an hour and being able to change pace and find the open guys, and not just score as well....”

Team White did manage to outrebound Team Blue 45-37, something that has been a constant issue throughout the week of training camp, much to the chagrin of Joe Harris.

“We have to take a little more ownership of keeping guys off the glass,” Harris said postgame. “Making sure we get a body every time down because we are so talented offensively as long as we get the ball and get out in transition we’re going to allow ourselves to get some easy buckets.”

USA coach Gregg Popovich understood that getting a whole new group of guys on the same page is a process that takes time, but he didn’t fault their intensity and energy.

“I think just recognition as much as anything,” he said. “People were figuring out the terms, what things mean. It’s a new language for some players. It is basketball but often times you use different words for different actions on the court. As they get used to that, defense gets better. There’s been absolutely no problems with the effort and physicality, that sort of thing. Now it’s just a matter of getting wiser, becoming more habitual, everybody reacting correctly more often, that is what we’re looking for.”

Kemba Walker finished with 14 points and 4 assists, on 6-11 shooting in 16 minutes. With Walker being one of the leaders, it makes sense to limit his minutes in preparation for the games that officially count at the World Cup in China.

“I think I played pretty well,” he said. “Thought the team did a great job of helping me get open. As far as a team I think we got better. From day one of practice to the second day to the third day we got better. We are trying our best to teach each other as much as possible as fast as possible. I think we are on a great pace right now.”

With his college coach and past USA National Team mentor Mike Krzyzewski looking on, Jayson Tatum led all scorers with 17 points on 6-8 shooting with four rebounds and a game-high plus-20 while he was on the court. The Boston Celtic thought that at times the consistency of playing at a high level without being penalized was something the team needs to continue to work on.

“One thing I know we can work on is not fouling so much,” he said. “We fouled a little bit too much tonight. The more time we spend with each other the better we’ll get.”

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/08/mnt-blue-white-game-recap.aspx
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#127 » by GREY 1769 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:43 am

GAME 2 Team USA vs. Spain coming up next!:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs