And1: 3,179

Pau Gasol Bought Out by The Spurs 

Post#1 » by imagump1313 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:18 am

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Re: Pau Gasol Bought Out by The Spurs 

Post#2 » by Ballings7 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 3:49 am

He had a nice run here, wish he came in a year or two sooner, but definitely got numerous big games out of him and contributed notably to the "beautiful game".

Being even older, Poetl coming in, and DeRozan / Gay, has forced his role to not really be consistent on the team. And, the playoffs being shaky for the team, at least right now...

The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,894

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sat Mar 2, 2019 6:12 am

Thanks, gump, appreciate you stepping up and starting the thread.

I'm grateful to Pau for his contributions as a Spur on and off the court, and wish him well. Pau has wanted more playing time though Jakob has frankly grown to outplay him overall. I do feel it is a vet locker room loss, and I don't think that Pau will get more minutes on the Bucks, so it's a bit strange that his insistence to move on because of lack of playing time will put him in largely a similar role; the Spurs accommodated him nevertheless.

Though he was unlikely to return next season, it's bittersweet because he has by all accounts been a solid team mate. But as gump said, we were not in any delusion about his on-court play and I suppose hoped that $16M would be enough of an offset to balance out accepting his diminished role on the court, though no less an important one off it (then again, who is to say the Spurs were ok with that themselves; we tried to trade him, couldn't find a suitor that also worked for us, and so perhaps we're just as fine with this).

Kudos to the Spurs for once again doing right by a player and putting him in a position to succeed. Top marks for the professionalism time and again.

The buyout terms have not been disclosed, and I'm not sure how this affects our cap situation. We're now at 16 players, too, so I'm curious what we'll do now.

Just a thought: looking forward to seeing what Nikola Milutinov can do for us whenever it is we bring him over.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat Mar 2, 2019 6:48 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 1:13 am

They are saying he gave back 2.5 million to be bought out which helps our cap a tiny bit next year. Second favor he's done for the team when he didn't have to.
Thanks Pau!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#7 » by -Sammy- » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:44 am

Pau's an all-timer, but it was a terrible contract we gave him and I'm glad we're routing out of it. Happy trails to him, though, with thanks for his time here and all he's done as an ambassador of the game.

Return to San Antonio Spurs