Tony Parker Retires UPDATE: Jersey Ceremony 11-11-2019 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:53 pm

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,653

Re: Tony Parker Retires 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 am

Thank you, SD, appreciate the thread. Hard to put into words all that Tony has meant to all that the Spurs are. Guts, selflessness, sacrifice, and shined bright with his whole heart and crafty skill set to the benefit of the team. So much more can be said, but for now, some tributes. Not unexpected, but still somewhat bittersweet when it comes. Still with full gratitude. THANK YOU, TONY!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:51 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 am

‘I can’t be Tony Parker anymore’
Former Spurs star announces his retirement from the NBA after 18 seasons
SAN ANTONIO — Smiling as he sat down in a hotel suite in the “Alamo City,” Tony Parker looked at peace. After 18 NBA seasons, it was only fitting he was going to make an important announcement in San Antonio, where he was raised from a teenager to a man after coming over from France in 2001.

“I’m going to retire,” Parker told The Undefeated. “I decided that I’m not going to play basketball anymore.”

The 28th overall pick by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2001 NBA draft, Parker had previously said his goal was to play 20 seasons. He ended shy of that goal, but the future Basketball Hall of Famer finished his career with numerous accomplishments.

Parker formed one of the greatest trios in sports history with Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. Under coach Gregg Popovich, they won four championships together in San Antonio, and Parker became the first European player to win Finals MVP honors in 2007.

A six-time All-Star, Parker played in 1,254 games and finished with career averages of 15.5 points, 5.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds. His only season with another NBA team was 2018-19 with the Charlotte Hornets under former Spurs assistant coach James Borrego. In what would end up being the final game of his career, Parker scored 11 points in 17 minutes off the bench in a 93-75 loss to the Miami Heat on March 17.

Parker, 37, told The Undefeated he feels physically good enough to play two more seasons but in his mind he believes it is time to walk away.

What do you think about your resume now and what you were able to do?

I feel very blessed to have played for great teams with great teammates and a great coach. What we had was very special. And it’s funny because that whole year in Charlotte, I realized even more that what we had [in San Antonio] was very, very special. We were so close as teammates. And even today, like two days ago, I was playing tennis with Timmy and Manu. We were talking about the old days, and you just realize how special it was. That is 17 years together and all the wins, and being the best in terms of playoff history wins and best trio, all the records. Now, I’m
starting to realize a little bit everything we accomplished....

What does the city of San Antonio mean to you?

It’s home. I arrived here 19 years old and they embraced me. They treated me like their son, and it’s always gonna be home. It is family....

Looking back, going from the 28th pick in the first round to a starting point guard on four championship teams, could you have even dreamed of this? What were your expectations when you first came in the league?

My career was better than any dream that I had when I was a kid. When I first arrived in NBA, I was like, ‘Man, if I can be a good little player, be a good backup, I’ll be happy with that.’ I was just happy to be in the NBA. I never thought I’ll be a starter or be the youngest point guard to start in the NBA or the first European to be NBA Finals MVP. I never dreamed about that....

What could people learn about the Spurs dynasty?

We have no ego and we didn’t let money affect, you know, our dynasty.

https://theundefeated.com/features/tony-parker-retire-from-nba/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 am

Read on Twitter

schultz_report

I had the good fortune of watching one of Tony Parker’s pre-draft workouts when he was still playing for Paris Basket Racing. Tony may have been a future Olympian, but at that time he had just turned 19 and was all arms/legs. But then he started handling the ball, changing speeds, contorting his body around the rim to the point where we thought he resembled AI. Speaking in a distinct French accent, TP was humble, yet confident and respectful. The more you watched, the more enamored you became as he darted end line-to-end line like a cheetah with the ball on a string. Naturally, this became the story of Tony’s brilliant first ballot HOF career lasting the better part of two decades: First rate — full of rings and All-NBA honors — he was the trendsetter that put French basketball on the map during a time when the world only knew Zidane and the 1998 World Cup champion Les Bleus.
Au revoir, Monsieur Parker, and THANK YOU
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#8 » by Baski » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:51 pm

This hit me like a wrecking ball. Just like that the greatest trio in Spurs or maybe basketball history is officially done.

Tony was the first star I ever saw and drew me to become a Spurs fan. A legend in every sense of the word. I'll miss him greatly. Tbh I've missed him since like 2015 if you know what I mean, but this time it's for real.

Merci Beaucoup Tony. It's been quite a ride........

Now excuse me while I go cry in the corner
First Take
Senior
And1: 414

Post#9 » by First Take » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:54 pm

Great player. I doubt anyone will ever wear #9 again in San Antonio. Kind of sucks he played one season with the Hornets :banghead: . It would have been pretty cool for him to have played his entire career / tenure in the NBA with the San Antonio Spurs. I can't wait for the jersey retirement.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: Tony Parker Retires UPDATE: Jersey Ceremony 11-11-2019 

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm

This may have been in the planning for a while, but it'll complete the set where they belong - with one another, among the greats:
Read on Twitter

SPURS TO RETIRE TONY PARKER’S NO. 9
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they will retire Tony Parker’s No. 9 jersey on Monday, Nov. 11 when the Silver and Black host the Memphis Grizzlies.

Parker will become the 10th player in Spurs franchise history to have his number raised to the rafters, joining Bruce Bowen (12), Tim Duncan (21), Sean Elliott (32), George Gervin (44), Manu Ginobili (20), Avery Johnson (6), Johnny Moore (00), David Robinson (50) and James Silas (13).

In 17 seasons in San Antonio, Parker helped the Silver and Black capture four NBA championships and was named the 2007 NBA Finals MVP, becoming the first European Finals MVP in history.

The point guard from France was a four-time All-NBA performer (2009, 2012, 2013, 2014) and a six-time NBA All-Star (2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014) with the Spurs. Originally selected by San Antonio with the 28th overall pick in the first round of the 2001 NBA Draft, Parker is the Spurs NBA leader in assists (6,829), while ranking second in games played (1,198), fourth in points (18,943) and steals (1,032), fifth in free throws made (3,309) and sixth in rebounds (3,313).

Parker is one of five players in NBA history to post at least 19,000 points and 7,000 assists, along with Oscar Robertson, John Stockton, Gary Payton and LeBron James. He played in a total of 1,254 career games in 18 seasons with the Spurs and Charlotte Hornets, averaging 15.5 points, 5.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 30.5 minutes. Parker finished his career seventh in NBA history with 892 wins.

Appearing in a total of 226 postseason contests with the Spurs, sixth most all-time, Parker averaged 17.9 points, 5.1 assists and 2.9 rebounds in 34.3 minutes. In NBA Playoffs history, Parker ranks fifth all-time in assists (1,143) and ninth in points (4,045). Parker and fellow Spurs jersey retirees Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili recorded 126 postseason victories together, which are the most wins by any trio in NBA history.

Parker is one of four players in league history to record 4,000 points and 1,000 assists in the NBA Playoffs, along with Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs-retire-tony-parkers-no-9

More details about the actual ceremony will be released later.

Seeing these numbers presented together like this makes you realize all over again what an incredible career Tony had. What they don't convey as aptly is the bond forged and chemistry created that was almost like a sixth sense among them. Together again forever. As it should be.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:58 pm

#9 with be the tenth jersey to hang in the rafters on the 11th of November. Nice.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 pm

The illustrious list with an invitation for another:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:05 pm

An update about the proceedings. The game will start an hour earlier at 6:30pm (CT) with a half hour pre-game special. The ceremony honouring Tony will be after the game, with some extra details now being released. I like the memorabilia and fan activities they've created:

DETAILS ANNOUNCED FOR TONY PARKER JERSEY RETIREMENT NIGHT PRESENTED BY H-E-B AND SWBC
Postgame Ceremony to be Broadcast Live on FOX Sports Southwest, the FOX Sports App, WOAI-AM 1200 and KXTN 1350 AM/107.5 FM HD2
All fans in attendance will receive an exclusive commemorative Tony Parker shirt and Fanbangos courtesy of H-E-B and SWBC. In commemoration of the retirement of Parker’s No. 9 jersey, a nine-piece art exhibit will be on display in the arena. The collection, commissioned for the occasion, includes pieces from local as well as French artists.

Fans can also take advantage of photo opportunities with a 3-D display at the East Entrance to the arena, replica banners of Parker’s retired jersey on the Plaza and Balcony Levels, photos from throughout his 17-year career in San Antonio, and trophies from Parker’s four NBA Championships with the Spurs. Fans are encouraged to use the hashtag #MerciTony to share their favorite memories of the Spurs legend’s time in the Alamo City.

Prior to the game, the Spurs will warm up in special Tony Parker shooting shirts. The Spurs Fan Shop will feature a collection of gear and other items celebrating the career of the veteran guard.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/details-announced-tony-parker-jersey-retirement-night-presented-h-e-b-and-swbc

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:23 pm

This is the first of nine art pieces to honour Tony:
Read on Twitter

I wonder if this is the second?
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#15 » by Baski » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:28 am

GREY 1769 wrote:This is the first of nine art pieces to honour Tony:
Read on Twitter

I wonder if this is the second?
Read on Twitter

Tony is gonna bawl his eyes out
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 7, 2019 5:51 pm

Some more designs as we approach Tony's day. I really like the green one:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 7, 2019 5:53 pm

Well that's quite an honour:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:12 pm

One of the nine art pieces to honour Tony tonight:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#20 » by SD2042 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:One of the nine art pieces to honour Tony tonight:
Read on Twitter

That's boss!

Whoever create this piece of art definitely has a give to draw. Great dedication to TP9!

Return to San Antonio Spurs