2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, GREY 1769, Baphomet

User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#61 » by GREY 1769 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Legends holding court:
Read on Twitter


And one more soon to join them! Congratulations, Timmy!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter



Boo! Coach Becky has yet to but will one day get her rightful place:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#62 » by GREY 1769 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:45 pm

I mean this respectfully, but he sure did an awful lot of tweeting about his 'plight' about not playing while not having shown anything close to being playable, so much so that he lost his minutes at SF to a SG in Lonnie. So, yeah :wave:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#63 » by imagump1313 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I mean this respectfully, but he sure did an awful lot of tweeting about his 'plight' about not playing while not having shown anything close to being playable, so much so that he lost his minutes at SF to a SG in Lonnie. So, yeah :wave:
Read on Twitter


See ya!

In his defense though, most of this team is not playable so he fit right in....

Spurs did him a favor buying him out. He got a bunch of cash for doing almost nothing, and he can still catch on with another team for more cash.
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#64 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:43 am

imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:I mean this respectfully, but he sure did an awful lot of tweeting about his 'plight' about not playing while not having shown anything close to being playable, so much so that he lost his minutes at SF to a SG in Lonnie. So, yeah :wave:
Read on Twitter


See ya!

In his defense though, most of this team is not playable so he fit right in....

Spurs did him a favor buying him out. He got a bunch of cash for doing almost nothing, and he can still catch on with another team for more cash.

LOL the guy stood out in the worst way, and that's saying something considering Bryn is the starting SG. I watched him in Toronto, meh, but hustled, and apparently Nets fans were happy with him.

And then he played for us. Holy ****. Was it intentional? Who dribbles off their shins, refuses to pass to open player ahead, dribbles into multiple defenders? ANd then he hit almost nothing from just about everywhere. Bryn and Beli's number are down, but at least they knew where to move without the ball, where to pass it, etc.

He's going to Houston. Another center for them lol

I have to say, we do right by players when they leave. We're on the hook for the rest of his salary (final year thankfully not guaranteed), so I do wonder what the buyout was.

And it leaves us with an open spot. Who do you think gets it / should get it? KJ?
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#65 » by imagump1313 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:19 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:I mean this respectfully, but he sure did an awful lot of tweeting about his 'plight' about not playing while not having shown anything close to being playable, so much so that he lost his minutes at SF to a SG in Lonnie. So, yeah :wave:
Read on Twitter


See ya!

In his defense though, most of this team is not playable so he fit right in....

Spurs did him a favor buying him out. He got a bunch of cash for doing almost nothing, and he can still catch on with another team for more cash.

LOL the guy stood out in the worst way, and that's saying something considering Bryn is the starting SG. I watched him in Toronto, meh, but hustled, and apparently Nets fans were happy with him.

And then he played for us. Holy ****. Was it intentional? Who dribbles off their shins, refuses to pass to open player ahead, dribbles into multiple defenders? ANd then he hit almost nothing from just about everywhere. Bryn and Beli's number are down, but at least they knew where to move without the ball, where to pass it, etc.

He's going to Houston. Another center for them lol

I have to say, we do right by players when they leave. We're on the hook for the rest of his salary (final year thankfully not guaranteed), so I do wonder what the buyout was.

And it leaves us with an open spot. Who do you think gets it / should get it? KJ?


Someone in another thread mentioned Eubanks...EWW!
I'm all for Johnson if they would actually play him
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#66 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:37 am

imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
See ya!

In his defense though, most of this team is not playable so he fit right in....

Spurs did him a favor buying him out. He got a bunch of cash for doing almost nothing, and he can still catch on with another team for more cash.

LOL the guy stood out in the worst way, and that's saying something considering Bryn is the starting SG. I watched him in Toronto, meh, but hustled, and apparently Nets fans were happy with him.

And then he played for us. Holy ****. Was it intentional? Who dribbles off their shins, refuses to pass to open player ahead, dribbles into multiple defenders? ANd then he hit almost nothing from just about everywhere. Bryn and Beli's number are down, but at least they knew where to move without the ball, where to pass it, etc.

He's going to Houston. Another center for them lol

I have to say, we do right by players when they leave. We're on the hook for the rest of his salary (final year thankfully not guaranteed), so I do wonder what the buyout was.

And it leaves us with an open spot. Who do you think gets it / should get it? KJ?


Someone in another thread mentioned Eubanks...EWW!
I'm all for Johnson if they would actually play him

lol Drew? I mean, we're short at the bigs position, but he's really end-of-game or spot minutes to give main bigs a rest or if they get in foul trouble.

If we're replacing DC who didn't give us anything and was to be the SF, then KJ makes the most sense. But Austin Spurs are third in the West, and still have February and March games to play. I guess it depends on team needs balanced with what's best for his development. I love his no-quit motor. We've looked vulnerable at times, and his confidence is infectious.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#67 » by imagump1313 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 am

GREY 1769 wrote:If we're replacing DC who didn't give us anything and was to be the SF, then KJ makes the most sense. But Austin Spurs are third in the West, and still have February and March games to play. I guess it depends on team needs balanced with what's best for his development. I love his no-quit motor. We've looked vulnerable at times, and his confidence is infectious.


Indeed, Johnson makes the most sense.
I doubt anyone we put there will play much anyway because we are still playing old guys and people who won't be on the team next year for some playoff fantasy.
Let him get the Austin time and some playoff games there at least until this coaching staff finally realizes the inevitable. Hopefully before we play our way out of drafting Obi Toppin
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#68 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:19 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:If we're replacing DC who didn't give us anything and was to be the SF, then KJ makes the most sense. But Austin Spurs are third in the West, and still have February and March games to play. I guess it depends on team needs balanced with what's best for his development. I love his no-quit motor. We've looked vulnerable at times, and his confidence is infectious.


Indeed, Johnson makes the most sense.
I doubt anyone we put there will play much anyway because we are still playing old guys and people who won't be on the team next year for some playoff fantasy.
Let him get the Austin time and some playoff games there at least until this coaching staff finally realizes the inevitable. Hopefully before we play our way out of drafting Obi Toppin

I think we've shown wonderful ball movement the two games DD was out - not having to make up for two defensive liabilities in Bryn and DD, and the ball not sticking so much with two half court guys. We scored well enough, and defended better.

But I think we cater to DD so as to make sure he's agreeable to a S&T deal this summer. So there's some of that balance still needed in terms of keeping good relationship for mutual benefit.

I also think we continue to draft two-way players. Honestly I don't watch college ball. Just not enough time. Is Obi a two-way player?

I've heard enough about Deni that I'd love to have him. I've followed him since he stood out at the Basketball Without Borders in Serbia that Pop went to a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, he's improved a lot since then and is no longer an under-the-radar pick. Didn't you mention someone else, too, Okoro? (Maybe someone else mentioned him?) I have a lot of looking into prospects to do...
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#69 » by imagump1313 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:11 am

There is a radio guy here who LOVES Toppin and got me watching him. He has good size and shoots a good three but can also get his own shot in traffic.
NBA Draft Room says he is only an adequate defender.
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/obi-toppin.html

His highlights(just like everyone's) look great. But man would I like to see someone aggressive like this on the wing for us!
User avatar
Phreak50
Analyst
Posts: 3,034
And1: 4,623
Joined: Feb 01, 2014

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#70 » by Phreak50 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 am

Am I out of the loop, but why is Luka not playing? This kid is 10 times better than Eubanks'.
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#71 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 am

Phreak50 wrote:Am I out of the loop, but why is Luka not playing? This kid is 10 times better than Eubanks'.


I don't think anyone with the team has mentioned any specific reason why he hasn't played an NBA game.
I have read in places that they want him to bulk up a little and have him on a special diet but thats about it. Ive also read that he has his good days and bad days in the G=League so Im guessing they want more consistency.
User avatar
Phreak50
Analyst
Posts: 3,034
And1: 4,623
Joined: Feb 01, 2014

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#72 » by Phreak50 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:33 am

I won't try to understand or give advice to the experts but that approach has always seemed a bit hit and miss for me.

Some players can dominate and look like the real deal against lower competition like G League and simply never amount to the worst NBA players.

Some can do the same against whoever their playing against and even rise to the competition.

And just a guess but playing against lower grades too long can surely hamper your development and give you more of a shock when you're thrown into it against the best.

It's hard to argue against the Spurs development but it would be nice to throw caution to the wind once in a while.

I still think the only reason Lonnie has been getting minutes is because that game earlier in the season when Pop got ejected, Tim Duncan threw him into the rotation and has continued on since then.

Maybe we need to be fully out of the playoffs hunt before caution gets thrown.
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#73 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:20 am

Phreak50 wrote:I won't try to understand or give advice to the experts but that approach has always seemed a bit hit and miss for me.

Some players can dominate and look like the real deal against lower competition like G League and simply never amount to the worst NBA players.

Some can do the same against whoever their playing against and even rise to the competition.

And just a guess but playing against lower grades too long can surely hamper your development and give you more of a shock when you're thrown into it against the best.

It's hard to argue against the Spurs development but it would be nice to throw caution to the wind once in a while.

I still think the only reason Lonnie has been getting minutes is because that game earlier in the season when Pop got ejected, Tim Duncan threw him into the rotation and has continued on since then.

Maybe we need to be fully out of the playoffs hunt before caution gets thrown.


I hear you. I really hate saying it but all we are doing is hurting ourselves trying to get a playoff spot at this point. We need to just let it go and build for the future. Watching DeRozan hero ball and Aldridge 35 minutes a night is useless.
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#74 » by imagump1313 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:09 am

Ugh......We're doomed.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/2/19/21143316/dejounte-murray-tells-lonnie-walker-they-will-take-over-the-spurs-together-when-the-time-comes

I wish they would actually play with the confidence they talk **** with on twitter......
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#75 » by GREY 1769 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:29 am

Hard necessity and tribute. Respect.
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#76 » by GREY 1769 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 1:48 am

Well just as we may get LMA back Monday, we lose Jakob for a while. ****. It's never good timing, but at least it's a manageable injury whose end is in sight still season. Heal fully and quickly, Jakob!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#77 » by GREY 1769 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:11 am

About Jakob being out, what are our options here besides / in addition to going to the G-League with Drew and Mezie? Can we bring someone in from outside? We do have a spot but with someone unfamiliar with our system it's a long shot. I don't suppose we can bring someone form the Euro League over? Milutinov is still tending to a sore ankle even if it were possible. I do hope we bring him over this summer, but that's for a later discussion.

For now we have an immediate need at the defensive C spot. Looks like LMA/Trey/Drew there, with Mezie at the 4 and the other three either at the 4 or 5 depending on match-ups or how any given game is progressing.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#78 » by GREY 1769 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:15 am

As for our back court, it's apparent that we are, in fact, playing DJ and Derrick more together. It may be at a slower pace that hasn't catered to immediate satisfaction crowd, but they are growing together. Good for now and our future:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
Phreak50
Analyst
Posts: 3,034
And1: 4,623
Joined: Feb 01, 2014

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#79 » by Phreak50 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:35 am

Curious if anyone has looked to possible free agents next season?

Gordon Hayward has a player option, I'd imagine Boston would be happy for him to leave and use that money on something not a SF. He would be a good all round player to fill a big gap on our roster.

Danilo Gallinari would be a good option as long as he didn't break the bank.

Joe Harris would be handy, depending how much he commands.

Josh Jackson (head case aside) might be worth a shot to develop.

Meyers Leonard is free and isn't terrible.

Nerlans Noel is free and a decent backup C.

I'd take Baynes back for sure.

If we can sign and trade Derozan (as I've mentioned before, potentially throwing in Murray or White to get something decent back), there's some quality players available to get us back to our winning ways.
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 17,634
And1: 15,167
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#80 » by GREY 1769 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 8:40 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Curious if anyone has looked to possible free agents next season?

Gordon Hayward has a player option, I'd imagine Boston would be happy for him to leave and use that money on something not a SF. He would be a good all round player to fill a big gap on our roster.

Danilo Gallinari would be a good option as long as he didn't break the bank.

Joe Harris would be handy, depending how much he commands.

Josh Jackson (head case aside) might be worth a shot to develop.

Meyers Leonard is free and isn't terrible.

Nerlans Noel is free and a decent backup C.

I'd take Baynes back for sure.

If we can sign and trade Derozan (as I've mentioned before, potentially throwing in Murray or White to get something decent back), there's some quality players available to get us back to our winning ways.

The problem with 2020 is our lack of cap space, so signing guys outright will be difficult. 2021 is when we will have a lot of cap space to work with. Until then, we have some wiggle room with I think MLE among other smaller options but it depends on what we do with the roster. Still, fundamentally not a lot of space.

I like GH but given our cap situation he seems unaffordable, though depending on what we re-sign Bryn for (looks like both sides want that to happen) and with Beli likely gone, I do wonder whether we could get Harris. I like him and there is some familiarity with Pop through Team USA.

Gallo said he'd like to re-sign with OKC, but what gets expressed and what happens is not always aligned for various reasons. Plus at 33 when next season starts, he may be getting on the wrong side of fit with the development of our younger guys. I'd rather Luka get minutes under LMA than Gallo because LMA knows our system and has good post skills - the broader the range to pass on the better. Does LMA get moved this summer? There were some teams that reportedly expressed interest, but it felt as it they wanted to low ball us and our price stayed firm. Given he's improved his game with the 3 incorporated, he has to be intriguing as a piece that strengthens a team that is in win-now mode.

No to headcase Josh Jackson because headcase until proven otherwise which he's welcome to do elsewhere lol

Always liked Baynes.

I'd like to see us bring Milutinov over. Not really a C for the modern game, but still, a skilled 25 year old 7' who is solid in Europe, and hits his FTs, may finally be an option next season. Plus we have pogo stick Mezie who now has very good footwork, some post moves, and range on his J out to the 3. Looking more confident and has bulked up his frame.

Detroit will have lots of cap space and there's familiarity between DD and their coach. But at this stage of his career, I'd be surprised for DD to just outright go for the money. Miami reportedly interest in either / both LMA and DD, so that might be a route for a S&T if he opts out. If he opts in, well, it delays the same scenario for a year when I think want to move on to a more up tempo movement-oriented style that the younger guys are better suited for. Perhaps there would be a gentleman's agreement to trade him to a good situation? I would just rather give the younger guys more minutes at the 2/3 and draft for 3/4?/5? who also happens to be BP.

Lots of variables will be in play in terms of our roster, who gets more minutes, etc., and though FA signings with our cap space will be limited, we have some options with player movement. Time to get creative. And as always, keep developing.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to San Antonio Spurs