GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 16: SPURS AT 76ERS, 22-11-2019, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 16: SPURS AT 76ERS, 22-11-2019, 7PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Playing on both ends for the whole game continues to be the challenge and the goal for this first of an East back-to-back. We know we can score and need to continue to do so at an efficient rate. Defense - particularly protecting our arc, the P&R, and the ball - has to be the collective goal to improve our level of play. It's up to us to take ownership and take heart.

WHERE: Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA

WHEN: Friday, November 22, 2019, 7pm (CT)

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[tweet]

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 16: SPURS AT 76ERS, 22-11-2019, 7PM (CT) 

Post#2 » by ducler » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:33 am

Looks like we will have to wait until at least next week to see a Dejounte-Derrick back court since:
Read on Twitter

and because I assume Dejounte is still on a back-to-back restriction:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:20 am

An update on our starting line-up:
Read on Twitter

Love DJ for the defense, and Jakob for the synergy with LMA.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:24 am

Some early positives and things we need to clean up:

- Good attention to deflect passes for multiple steals.

- Jakob has to drive to the basket and protect the ball with both hands preferrably for a dunk rather than getting blocked after we stole it. Reward our good D with good fundamentals on O and better chances to score.

- Dejounte got into the key and had space but picked up his dribble and passed out. He should have shot that.

- Running back on defense is not optional. ANYONE who does not put effort into it can ride pine and watch other team mates do it.

- DeMar contesting a 3 with just hands up but too much space and not jumping out will not stop anyone from shooting it. So that's two bad defensive plays, both of which are about effort, and two Pop timeouts after each.

Scoring on one end can no longer be a cover for inadequate effort on the other. Let's see what subs can do.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:17 am

This team just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

They take the only guy on the team who as played well all season on both ends and bench him. Yet we have the same cast of characters who cant guard anyone and turn the ball over like crazy get tons of minutes.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:27 am

imagump1313 wrote:This team just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

They take the only guy on the team who as played well all season on both ends and bench him. Yet we have the same cast of characters who cant guard anyone and turn the ball over like crazy get tons of minutes.

I think LMA and Jakob play better together and we need that synergy. We haven't really dropped off in rebounding with Trey on the bench. I don't know how many teams win rebounding battles with 76ers, but Jakob is a net positive in I think all of the line-ups he's been in, and we need the height and defense tonight.

The issues are those small details: they just did a lowlight package of LMA on defense leaving too much space and so not really contesting - true. I would add to it ball protection like when we were in a 2-3 zone and gave up points on two consecutive O board putbacks and when at the end of the half, we ran a good set play to inbound to Patty who then got it stolen. They didn't score, but it's about what we do and how we do it.

Carroll gave us some good defense in his minutes.

I like that we got to the FT line more in the second Q, and hope we hit our 3s while better contesting theirs.

The main main thing is to make sure we leave it all out on the floor. Can't be lax defensively when this is our biggest issue, and the effort behind it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:13 am

GREY 1769 wrote:

I think LMA and Jakob play better together and we need that synergy. We haven't really dropped off in rebounding with Trey on the bench. I don't know how many teams win rebounding battles with 76ers, but Jakob is a net positive in I think all of the line-ups he's been in, and we need the height and defense tonight.

The issues are those small details: they just did a lowlight package of LMA on defense leaving too much space and so not really contesting - true. I would add to it ball protection like when we were in a 2-3 zone and gave up points on two consecutive O board putbacks and when at the end of the half, we ran a good set play to inbound to Patty who then got it stolen. They didn't score, but it's about what we do and how we do it.

I like that we got to the FT line more in the second Q, and hope we hit our 3s while better contesting theirs.

The main main thing is to make sure we leave it all out on the floor. Can't be lax defensively when this is our biggest issue, and the effort behind it.

I'm not saying Lyles should be starting but he should be playing. He does nothing but positive things on both ends. I don't like the precedent being set that you play hard and well on both ends but go sit down because we are going to play the lazy higher paid guys who just go through the motions.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:26 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

I'm not saying Lyles should be starting but he should be playing. He does nothing but positive things on both ends. I don't like the precedent being set that you play hard and well on both ends but go sit down because we are going to play the lazy higher paid guys who just go through the motions.

Hmm, well I think he played last game, and is in now. Who is he replacing that is higher paid but lazy? Jakob??
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:30 am

imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Hmm, well I think he played last game, and is in now. Who is he replacing that is higher paid but lazy? Jakob??
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:30 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Hmm, well I think he played last game, and is in now. Who is he replacing that is higher paid but lazy? Jakob??

He got 7 minutes in Washington and 2 minutes tonight. That's not playing.

I know you cant stand anyone talking negative about this team but they are bad and hard to watch.
I feel like the only guys I want to root for anymore are Lyles or Gay because they seem to be the only ones not going through the motions with a blank look on their face. Mills tries but we have been through this before, he can only do soo much.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:08 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Hmm, well I think he played last game, and is in now. Who is he replacing that is higher paid but lazy? Jakob??

He got 7 minutes in Washington and 2 minutes tonight. That's not playing.

I know you cant stand anyone talking negative about this team but they are bad and hard to watch.
I feel like the only guys I want to root for anymore are Lyles or Gay because they seem to be the only ones not going through the motions with a blank look on their face. Mills tries but we have been through this before, he can only do soo much.

Hmm well it's not that I can't stand anyone talking negative about the team. Of course they're not playing well - 8-game losing streak; that would make any team look shell shocked. It's that an ongoing whine session - not that I'm putting that on you - even though venting has its place, tends to be a closed circle and feeds on itself. It's just more interesting to discuss why certain things are happening like you just explained where you're coming from and why. I feel frustrated too, but am just more wired I guess towards looking at the why of things.

This place is a respite of sorts and the results of a ball game don't affect real life, so it's more fun for me to examine games here win or lose. Still, we invest our time and support for our team. I get it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 am

Well, we did more things better while some patches (as Patty calls them) of poor play crept in just enough to make for a frustrating night, but with some positives from which to glean.

We gave up only one 30-point Q, but also had only one ourselves; we shot it at 50%, but allowed nearly 52%; Beli shot 50%, so of course sharp shooters Bryn and Patty were 1-8 and 1-3 from 3; LMA had an efficient night, but got to the FT line only once; LMA and DeMar scored at will, and each of the other three starters scored in single digits. It was that kind of night.

We started slower again and settled for outside shots on O, but we were focused and active on defense and had several deflections and steals. In the second Q, we did a better job at penetrating (especially Dejounte) and we got to the FT line at a decent rate. So, adjustment and improvement. By the end of the game, we ended up with more points in the paint.

Our bench led by Rudy stepped up and gave us a chance again. We do well when we move defenses be it with ball or off ball movement, but our P&R coverage and 3 closeouts still need glaring work. Not running back in transition D, and closing out weakly with too much space allowed to cover, and not enough effort contesting the shots were culprits once more. Hands up with feet cemented isn't going to get it done.

I really liked what DeMarre showed tonight. Solid defense and running the court on the other end. Lonnie didn't score but that's ok, he'll figure it out. He moved his feet like they were on fire to stay in front of his defender and contested well to prevent getting scored on. Metu has far better body control and also has a nice J. Keldon in his youthful fearlessness drove right at their huge C. Loved it.

Fundamentals:

Pop kept a tight nine-man unit tonight, and made sure to stay on top of our mistakes: We didn't run back on D and they scored - timeout; we didn't rotate well or closeout properly - timeout; we allowed rebound putbacks - timeout. He tried different line-ups with that nine-man unit, and rode the hot hands while balancing minutes. Refs didn't call fouls on our drives inside - timeout and a 'discussion'. Pop fought for our guys and their effort. The coaches did their part.

Jakob's putback misses and getting blocked from behind on drives shouldn't happen. Why he doesn't ensure putbacks and lay-ins with both hands is a mystery. Not like dunking is hard for a seven footer. Also, sometimes he rushes his shot when he gets a pass and it's less good mechanics than hot potato. Some balance of quick shot without shot-putting it at the basket would be good.

We ran a 2-3 zone on D and twice in a row gave up points on their O boards. This is an awareness issue. Speaking of boards, we got clobbered on the tonight, and we grabbed only 3 - THREE - on O.

Spacing has to be smarter. When DeMar has the ball beyond the arc, of course defenders will sag off him and so LMA gets double or even triple teamed as he gets a pass from the arc.

Settling for quick shots early in the shot clock rather than working to break down the D, and then getting beat down the floor are bad combinations. We did less of it tonight than before, but when every play counts and the same habits creep up

We stayed with them well enough but as we got to within a couple of points, we gave up runs even as we made our own. I agree that we looked sort of out of it, but I don't think it's because we don't care, rather that guys are getting the same result even though they kept fighting. Also, it's a bad feeling if you think you're letting the team down at crucial junctures. Still, DeMar had to be held back from going off on the ref on a non-call; Rudy went after it all night as gump said; LMA get out a big "And 1!" when he got it; the bench was up and supportive of good plays.

All of these are good signs, and so is Rudy two games in a row now telegraphing a message to some team mates. After the last game he spoke about discipline; tonight about playing hard no matter the mistakes. When you watch a team mate not make an effort around a screen and leave others in a bind (DeMar), when a defender leads a ball handler to you and you're the help D and watch the layup (same), when you don't run out to contest (a lot of guys, but LMA and DeMar stood out tonight), when you swipe at the ball rather than move your feet to try and stay with a driver (Beli game in game out), and you still do these in a bad slump, well I hope that some honest talk is happening behind closed doors to those specific of guys who need to hear it.

Back-to-backs are hard but it's a good thing that we have one and that the travel is relatively short. No time to wallow and just get after it having done some good things against a team that is great at home. We have to carry over the things we did well and with the discipline and effort Rudy spoke about. Nobody's going to just lay down for us or feel sorry for our lot. It's up to us to do better.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#15 » by Ballings7 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Some positive in this awful streak has been Rudy Gay's play.. continues to validate himself as a reliable forward post-big injury.

Lyles should still be playing. He's been one of the few consistent guys as far as effort because while his shot was off earlier, its gotten better and more consistent, but effort doesn't take "rhythm".

Defense continues to be the problem with this team + balancing that personnel with floor spacing... but kind of have to work with what have.

I'd like to see one of these line-ups:

Aldridge - C
Gay - PF
White - SF
Forbes - SG
Murray - PG

6th man: DeRozan.

OR

Aldridge - C
Carroll - PF
White - SF / PG
DeRozan - SG / PG
Forbes - SG / PG

A postionless-esque wing group

6th man: Murray

Or, additonally throw Walker or Keldon Johnson into the fire at SG or SF, and start them. Heck, start both of them... See what they got, maybe they could spark the team and seize the chance. Go from there.. Keldon Johnson can shoot the ball from three IMO, and has great confidence and is a very good athlete on both ends.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to San Antonio Spurs