GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 30: SPURS AT MAVS, 26-12-2019, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 30: SPURS AT MAVS, 26-12-2019, 7PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Hopefully the team is faring far better with the post-Christmas carb dip than I am, and are ready to pick up where we left off. Fortunately our final road match of the year is a short trip, but we must have our best game at the ready and compete smartly on every play.

WHERE: American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX

WHEN: Thursday, December 26, 2019, 7pm (CT)

Read on Twitter

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 30: SPURS AT MAVS, 26-12-2019, 7:30PM (CT) 

Post#2 » by ducler » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Read on Twitter
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 30: SPURS AT MAVS, 26-12-2019, 7PM (CT) 

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:21 am

Thought I would watch tonight since nothing else is on. Barely 3 minutes into the game and I'm already pissed off. They are soo bad offensively and defensively and even more careless with the ball.
Shoot me!!! :banghead:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:46 am

Don't do it, gump! Our D got us back into the game and the lead on solid D to O transition.

I LOVE FIBA PATTY THRILLS!

Solid D effort by our bench, and some smart effort to get some good scoring chances.

Have to make our 3s and get boards, especially on our end.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:26 am

We NEED to make our 3s and get to the FT line more with cuts and drives.

We also need to protect the ball with getting after rebounds.

ALL OUT HUSTLE, SPURS!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:01 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:19 am

One of those missed opportunity games whose details we hopefully absorb and use better next time.

We started of out of sync on O, with the first unit labouring with passes which were more moving the ball rather purposeful advancement. LMA was continuing his solid effort and was shooting and driving and scoring with determined physicality and decisiveness. Trey came back down to earth and missed 3s and some bunnies, but I liked that he was assertive again looking for his chances. DeMar missed shots he usually makes as he was getting his spots. DJ had an off game in terms of turnovers, and missed shots. He needs to work on his handles and his shot as both look too 'hard' or coming from his palm or stiff fingers, can't quite express it right, but the ball doesn't move sweetly or consistently and he tends to lose it trying to dribble it through players. Bryn - well, when he dribbles and handles the ball, we are not the team we can be when he's more off ball. He did have a couple of good drives, but facilitating is not a strong suit and when pressured he makes mistakes with the ball or gives it up like a hot potato. He has to make his shots, especially 3s since that's his main role.

But Bryn, Beli, and Patty were each 0-4 from 3, and in such a close game, these hurt a lot. I like that after 9 minutes in the first half, and six minutes in the 3rd Q, Beli sat the entire 4th Q - you don't do your job, you don't play.

So why didn't Lonnie get any minutes? I don't know, but what I do know is that what we see is a small fraction of what is actually going on. I'm not implying anything bad, just that as fans we make inferences based very small pieces of information, but want to see certain changes as if we see the big picture. Some perspective:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Rudy picked up the slack with a solid bounce-back game with a terrific 7-10, including 4-7 from 3, and a team-high 8 rebounds, but he couldn't do it alone. Jakob was 3-3 FGs on some nice shots - taking a pass inside for a hook J, a fake pass and drive off glass (yes!), and an assertive dunk. He still bobbled the ball when passed to him, and threw out an errant O rebound for a turnover, and so it's times like these he looks like a combination of scared to make a mistake and rushing to make the right move. He was great with the D boards, fighting for position, grabbing the ball and holding on to it. While our poor 3 shooting was a big culprit, in a close 4-point game, Jakob going 0-4FTs and the team hitting 10-15FTs also stood out.

Not sure what was with DeMar but when he sat for the final four minutes or so of the 3rd Q he looked peeved on the bench. I mean, we went on a solid run to tie the Q and keep the game close, so.... But even before then, one shot in the 1st Q, then kept operating around the paint and was more active driving in the final Q. But some old habits crept in - missed a layup, drove into defenders, got stripped and turned it over, got blocked in addition to still going 4-6 - it was this good / bad in the game that was more apparent. Despite ending up leading us in scoring, his effort overall to be assertive from the start and playing smart was noticeably not as strong tonight.

Our O boards still need work, both the ones we get (5) and the ones we give up (13!) for second chance points. I thought our guards outside of DJ and Derrick need better positioning and hustle and just general awareness of long ball long rebound. Just a step slow in picking up defenders to cover and reacting to where the ball bounced out and so we were on the wrong end of 52-45 total rebounds.

The second unit looked more cohesive and active defensively, and Patty's consecutive steals and points in transition got us going and we ended the 1st Q on a 13-2 run and a lead. We actually won two quarters, tied one, and gave up a nine-point deficit in the second Q that they finished on a 5-0 run. We finished the 3rd Q on a 8-0 run and despite their 3 scoring barrage in the final Q, we did well to chip away at a 15-point lead, and down 102-92 we full court pressed and Bryn staying with the ball handler forced a turnover. On the next possession Bryn drove aggressively for a basket and a made FT, and we fought hard to end the game on another 8-0 run but fell short.

So defending 3s was a culprit as they went on a drive and kick barrage and finished the game with 16-8 made 3s.The contested ones you tip your hat, but we gave up some open ones where we flat out didn't hustle to contest. Derrick is wonderful in his effort and he is so skilled at that side contest that disrupts shooters without fouling. But we also had Jakob who trotted out with hands down, a half effort that did nothing to affect the made 3, and surprisingly DJ who gave up on running out to the left corner and watched another made 3 as two examples of less than stellar closeouts. It was not a great game for DJ what with reach-ins, an off shooting night, only 2 assists, and team-high 3 turnovers and 5 fouls. He has an instinct-react defensive style that is slightly higher risk which garnered 3 steals in this game, but there's a give and take in the gamble.

We held a very good offensive team to 102 points, but our missed shots accumulated (we did see the DJ-Derrick back court later in the 4th q, which was solid defensively, but needs seasoning on O, looking as if their tendencies are not as familiar to each other). At times we settled for outside shots too much and too early in the shot clock, and we could have implemented some more cuts and drives to get the to FT line, but overall we fought back hard in three quarters and showed some gumption in pushing through from double digit deficits. After previously defending the P&R much better, we were now adjusting to running out to stop many outside shots. It can get tiresome running out forty times, and even when playing the percentages on inefficient shooters, the effort has to be there.

I'm not sure why we looked so cohesive in one game and out of sorts in another, but we were on our heels a bit versus their main guy and giving too much deference and space on drives, almost too careful in trying to anticipate what he'd do. To our credit we kept pushing back, and this was on the back of some good steals and blocks, so it's a pity that after such a high scoring output we couldn't find ways to put a few more points up in this one. It was there for the taking and it stings some, but there are positives to take from it along with the lessons moving forward.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:25 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:I'm not sure why we looked so cohesive in one game and out of sorts in another

Because even bad teams will look good when they hit almost every shot they take. Even horrible teams will have a night like that where it seems everything goes in. Problem is that usually only happens once in every 100 games.

I can't wait until this DeRozan thing is over.
I used to feel bad for the guy being ripped out of Toronto like that but the Spurs took him in and bent over backwards to make him feel welcome and needed here. Now he has the nerve to pout and cry when he plays like s*** like we have wronged him somehow even though he has done absolutely nothing to try to fit in here
You would think someone (Becky Hammon, or maybe Timmy or some coach) would go over and explain reasons why he is killing us and thats why he has to sit. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, no one does. But I don't think I have seen Duncan and DeRozan talk, even once during a game.

I'm not even sure thats Tim's job but I would think if Mr. **** Tim Duncan came over to any player in this league and calmly explained "You are killing us and are sitting over here because of this and this and this" it might get through to him.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Yeah on the whole I agree, gump.
imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:I'm not sure why we looked so cohesive in one game and out of sorts in another

Because even bad teams will look good when they hit almost every shot they take. Even horrible teams will have a night like that where it seems everything goes in. Problem is that usually only happens once in every 100 games.

Of course scoring 145 is an anomaly, but to clarify, it's not so much that we hit all our shots, but how we generated them and where we took them. DeMar, for instance, was super efficient, but his shot selection was at times sub-optimal, to put it kindly: open elbow Js off screens and drives versus smaller defenders -- great; driving into multiple defenders when we had wings spread out ahead on a mini-fast break or taking contested end-of-shot clock Js against multiple defenders -- yeah no. He made them so it goes less noticed, but these aren't sustainable shots.

imagump1313 wrote:I can't wait until this DeRozan thing is over.
I used to feel bad for the guy being ripped out of Toronto like that but the Spurs took him in and bent over backwards to make him feel welcome and needed here. Now he has the nerve to pout and cry when he plays like s*** like we have wronged him somehow even though he has done absolutely nothing to try to fit in here
You would think someone (Becky Hammon, or maybe Timmy or some coach) would go over and explain reasons why he is killing us and thats why he has to sit. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, no one does. But I don't think I have seen Duncan and DeRozan talk, even once during a game.

I'm not even sure thats Tim's job but I would think if Mr. **** Tim Duncan came over to any player in this league and calmly explained "You are killing us and are sitting over here because of this and this and this" it might get through to him.

It's an interesting dynamic. He's said all the right things about Timmy, there was article in part about what DeMar thought of what Timmy brings, so I take that at face value. We just don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but what we DO know from many accounts is that Pop is brutally honest to every guy, just that the delivery isn't always the same to every guy. Kerr said Pop knew he wasn't the type to take yelling well, so the message was adjusted accordingly, but still delivered. DeMar has said in past interviews that Pop has cussed him out for not being assertive enough and needed to look to score more.

So I think DeMar can take it to whatever extent. We acquired him despite his weaknesses because of scoring ability, a contract that gave us some stability (not having to do FA so soon after getting him), great locker room guy, work ethic, etc., in addition to filling needs at C with Jakob and getting the pick (KJ's going to surprise a lot of people once he comes up).

But of late Pop has been sending the message differently. When Beli played like ass, Pop sat his ass down for the entire 4th Q; when DeMar played like ass he sat the last four minutes or so of the 3rd Q - that's not even that big a deal, right? When he went out in the 1st (again the final almost 4 minutes) we finished the Q on a 13-2 run. When he went out in the 3rd, we finished the Q on a 8-0 run. Combine these with floating around in the key not picking guys up as they sailed from behind him to get rebounds, and it made for a weak effort. If he looked peeved sitting, then he should look at himself. LMA to his credit brought the energy and physicality and intent to score, whereas as DeMar was far too passive, and so he might as well have done that on the bench. A better 4-6 4th Q, but it came with the errors he has a habit of committing when his head's not in it.

It looks like we balance things with him - sending a message, letting him run plays - so as to keep an equilibrium until such time as we move him. I think he'd consider opting in as the teams that have cap space may not be desirable ones for him, so if we trade him to a team without that cap space and that's the only way they could get him and potentially convince him to stay, then perhaps they could sweeten the pot. But even if he opts out, there are teams that want him, if the rumours are true. I think more and more he's a place holder for us, and that's fine.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#10 » by Ballings7 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Yeah DeMar was always going to be a temporary guy to hold over from Kawhi, and try to make something decent of it. That may have ended after this month.

I think in this offense he could actually do well at shooting threes, and has shown the ability to make them, but only like 3 or 4 games total, including pre-season.

However there are other notable flaws on the team apart from that, like undersized or lack of athleticism on the wing defensively, and to a lesser degree, offensively -- as a group.

Losing Kawhi, Parker, Manu all for different reasons really gutted any foundation the team had for solid and skilled offensive reliability in the system.

I think DeMar would need to go to a team that has pieces who compliment him already on the wing... a few shooters, a couple leading defenders, at least.. honestly Toronto would be the perfect spot for him in terms of their make-up, but obviously they aren't struggling and would be a risk to disrupt their chemistry.

I'd do DeMar/R2 pick or whatever, for OG Anunoby/Pick/filler (Stan Johnson anyone?)/more/etc. without hesitation. ; )

Orlando, it seems, would be the more realistc fit overall... I'd take Terrence Ross and Aaron Gordon, for real. Ideally though, I'd rather take Isaac over anyone on their whole team.. Isaac/T. Ross/R1 pick/filler for DeRozan -- or --- Gordon/T.Ross/Pick.

This team regardless, HAS to get back to being good and solid defensively and being able to shoot a little better than they have. A key attribute within that needs to be SIZE on the perimeter, that is capable defensively and can shoot the ball. While searching and developing for more team-leading talent, internally and externally.

I'm fine with Patty sticking around forever, but you also can't be playing Forbes and Belinelli consistent rotation minutes. Two undersized guards who are limited and liabilities defensively (fine and capable in certain situations, bad and exposing in others), with DeRozan, Belinelli, and Carroll as your SFs is a bad mix. There's zero complimentary effect. Walker doesn't really play and shouldn't be defending SFs primarily.

Derrick White, Murray can't keep taking on the bigger wings primarily. They should primarily be guarding SGs and PGs, while helping out with different looks at SF. That just isn't really available.

I don't think the team should just take on another near all-star or all-star, just for the sake of it. Get a good package that addresses needs, some now, and some for the future, collectively.

Gordon to me would be and is a 3rd option at best, x-factor type of guy at PF who can play some SF, but I don't see him as even a 2nd option, consistently. Maybe, but don't think he's polished enough offensively to be at that level. Defensively I have to see more, but from what I know he isn't a liability and has some versatility.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Yeah DeMar was always going to be a temporary guy to hold over from Kawhi, and try to make something decent of it. That may have ended after this month.

I think in this offense he could actually do well at shooting threes, and has shown the ability to make them, but only like 3 or 4 games total, including pre-season.

However there are other notable flaws on the team apart from that, like undersized or lack of athleticism on the wing defensively, and to a lesser degree, offensively -- as a group.

Losing Kawhi, Parker, Manu all for different reasons really gutted any foundation the team had for solid and skilled offensive reliability in the system.

I think DeMar would need to go to a team that has pieces who compliment him already on the wing... a few shooters, a couple leading defenders, at least.. honestly Toronto would be the perfect spot for him in terms of their make-up, but obviously they aren't struggling and would be a risk to disrupt their chemistry.

I'd do DeMar/R2 pick or whatever, for OG Anunoby/Pick/filler (Stan Johnson anyone?)/more/etc. without hesitation. ; )

Orlando, it seems, would be the more realistc fit overall... I'd take Terrence Ross and Aaron Gordon, for real. Ideally though, I'd rather take Isaac over anyone on their whole team.. Isaac/T. Ross/R1 pick/filler for DeRozan -- or --- Gordon/T.Ross/Pick.

This team regardless, HAS to get back to being good and solid defensively and being able to shoot a little better than they have. A key attribute within that needs to be SIZE on the perimeter, that is capable defensively and can shoot the ball. While searching and developing for more team-leading talent, internally and externally.

I'm fine with Patty sticking around forever, but you also can't be playing Forbes and Belinelli consistent rotation minutes. Two undersized guards who are limited and liabilities defensively (fine and capable in certain situations, bad and exposing in others), with DeRozan, Belinelli, and Carroll as your SFs is a bad mix. There's zero complimentary effect. Walker doesn't really play and shouldn't be defending SFs primarily.

Derrick White, Murray can't keep taking on the bigger wings primarily. They should primarily be guarding SGs and PGs, while helping out with different looks at SF. That just isn't really available.

I don't think the team should just take on another near all-star or all-star, just for the sake of it. Get a good package that addresses needs, some now, and some for the future, collectively.

Gordon to me would be and is a 3rd option at best, x-factor type of guy at PF who can play some SF, but I don't see him as even a 2nd option, consistently. Maybe, but don't think he's polished enough offensively to be at that level. Defensively I have to see more, but from what I know he isn't a liability and has some versatility.

I think the goal is ensuring we keep getting more two-way athletic, and yes, bigger players. All of our acquisitions, DeMar aside as that was thrust upon us and he checked other boxes in a difficult situation, scouting past and present, and drafting indicate that we're headed that way. From the foiled Davis-Morris trade (MM is the better scorer, rebounder, defender), to drafting Luka and KJ, to the guys we have in development - DJ, Derrick, Lonnie, fit the bill.

I agree about not needing to go after some current AS level player, but if we do anything, I expect they'll have the parameters it looks like we've been trying to shore up on. Orlando does keep coming up, and I wonder whether given that both Bryn and Beli are FA's after this season one could be packaged with DeMar for a pick Bamba / Evan (not sure he'd fit given position, perhaps he can play the 3? But I'd rather have a 'natural' 3 not a guy used to playing another position, but we have a lot of guards to potentially make moves with).

Don't like Ross at all. Streaky, disappears at times. Bench guy at best, and we already have athletic SGs we are shaping from the ground up, don't need guys with motor issues whose habits we'd need to work on retraining, and he's already 28.

Gordon fits the 3/4 position and athleticism (not sure about his D either), but he's the flexing his muscles after dunks type of guy, and Pop in a rare public admonition of another team's player, called him out for exaggerating his reaction in being hurt after getting fouled in our previous game against them. Maybe he's a good guy but just a dramatic person, who knows? But to whatever extent character fit for long-term raising the floor and ceiling matters, the players coming in will have to suit these requirements.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs