Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Dedmon wants out of Sacramento 

Post#1 » by imagump1313 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:05 am

Lets help them out.

I might do this:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=uplzl7k

Pros for them:
They are dying to make the playoffs this year. DeRozan and Belinelli would make them closer to that.
They move Dedmon and his big contract who asked for a trade.
They can also dump another big contract in Ariza

Pros for us:
Dedmon at least plays with some balls. Unlike most of our team.
Bogdanovic is what we really want. He gives us everything DeRozan does but with an outside shot. Also a couple years younger if we can resign him for around what DeRozan was making.
Ariza can contribute as much as Belinelli has been.
The big prize here is Bogdanovic. I don't think he is something that will make us a contender but he has more upside than DeRozan at this point and is younger.

I am also afraid the FA market this summer isn't going to pay an outdated DeRozan and he is going to opt-in next year. That will kills us. We need to get him out before that happens.

Maybe I like this because I am soo down on DeRozan now. Does anyone think this is a decent trade?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Re: Dedmon wants out of Sacramento 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:19 am

IDK, maybe the 3 years is too much for Dedmon. Might be a bad trade but just thinking out loud.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Re: Dedmon wants out of Sacramento 

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:03 am

The more tweaks our team is making, and the more dividends they pay, the more I'm convinced that we actually stand pat this season. I think DeMar likes the culture here, and just may in fact opt in, but that gives us leverage and options coming into the following season. The fact is, this is his most efficient season, and he's been blazing in the last four games especially. LMA stretching his shot has opened the key within which we facilitate better and the shots and scoring are coming aplenty.

Bogdan is already 27 and only in his second year in the NBA. He's shooting 43% from the 3 in the last 10 games. And guess what? Beli is even higher at 44%, and this is 10% higher than Ariza's 3s in the last 10 games, and he does it at 10 fewer minutes per game. So DeMar and Beli are really coming around.

Dedmon got his money this summer and played himself out of the rotation. You know it's bad when even Kings fans say he's been outplayed and doesn't deserve to be starting. Sure he shoots the 3, but at 23% this season. Compare that LMA's 40.2% for this season and 46% in the last 10 games, and we've got a clear advantage already on our roster. Dedmon is a career 6.4PPG and we've already got almost that with Jakob on fewer minutes and on a rookie contract.

IF we were to do something in the regular season, it would have to be for a far bigger asset than even Bogdan since we have some terrific talent at the SG position. I like his Spursy game, but I think we're shaping our guys - at least 6 years younger - to play our system, and this with far better athleticism.

Plus I doubt we'd hurt our 2021 cap by taking on Dedmon's contract. Wrong age, wrong contract for the numbers he gives.

If DeMar and Beli play like they have been in the last small sample size (nebulous, I know, but still, it's not like they're unsustainable numbers, just playing at the mean level), I don't see us giving up our cap space, system knowledge, locker room synergy unless it was a deal that blew us away.

You'll have to put up with DD a little longer, gump, but I have faith that it'll pay off for us in the long run.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to San Antonio Spurs