Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 37: @ GRIZZ, 10 Jan 2020, 7PM Central 

Post#1 » by -Sammy- » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:37 pm

WHERE: FedEx Forum, Memphis, TN
TV: FOX Sports SW, FOX Sports Southeast
VEGAS: O/U 234, Spurs -1

Game three of the season series pits a surging Grizz squad (winners of three straight and six of 10, including a big win over the Clips last Saturday) against a Spurs team putting in some nice work of its own recently.

Our last meeting yielded a season-high in points and the second-worst point differential Memphis has suffered this season, so vengeance will be high on the visitors' minds. Seeding won't be far from it, though, as they'll swap conference positions with us if they're successful.

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 37: @ GRIZZ, 10 Jan 2020, 7PM Central 

Post#2 » by ducler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,694

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:10 am

^ Slightly different:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:12 am

After a slow start down 12-3 early in the 2nd Q, we've made a concerted effort of it to finish the half on a 13-5 run.

We have upped our intensity and sense of urgency to good effect.

We need to run back on D faster, grab all rebounds, contest their 3s better, and although we finished the half strong doing so, drive and get to the FT line more. Of course, hitting our 3s all the more will help.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#6 » by Kabookalu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 am

That's the best DeMar DeRozan performance I've ever seen in my life. A rebound and assist away from a triple double too.
Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am

Well when we score 121 it's fair to expect a win, but not when we give up 134. Despite some players alternating good and bad games, we had enough O firepower, but three quarters of 30+ points against were the result of some defensive lapses that reared their head.

The issues in the first half were O rebounding against, FT disparity, and their hitting open 3s (they made 6 in the 1st Q alone to our 4). We actually ended up making one more 3 than they did, and we made 6 more FTs by the end of the game (we started the first half only 5-6, finished overall with 20-23).

Our two main guys were terrific once again. LMA, despite being doubled often, still led us from the 3 at 5-9 and scored 21 on 7-12, 2-2FTs, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and a block. DeMar was flat out scorching in a variety of ways, reading defenses, getting to his spots, driving physically, finishing with fundamentals while tying LMA for team-high 9 boards, getting a team-high 2 O boards, team-high 13-14FTs, and even hit a 3. Team-high 9 assists and a steal, and it all made for a complete game.

Bryn stepped up with 21 on 7-12 including some solid drives and floaters, 4-8 from 3, and 3-4FTs for his second consecutive solid game. Given his struggles, it stands out, so credit to him.

LMA had Rudy as solid big support who led the bench with 13 points on 5-12. Jakob pitched in with 6 on 3-4, but his efficiency is offset by few FGs. He's still mostly a defensive help (3 blocks). But Trey once again swung from solid contributor to disappearing act (1-5, 3 rebounds, 2 assists). He had some wide open looks that he looked unnerved by and took way too long in releasing his shot with his too-deliberate release. Just let it fly.

So DeMar had Bryn's help, but our three PGs combined for 17 points. Whereas DJ and Patty shot well, they didn't put it up enough. Derrick's shot once again disappeared (1-6). In some ways he's regressed a bit this season, still very steady and smart and defensively responsible, and he does take his 3s a bit more, but he's still not assertive enough and his finishing around the rim - too many missed bunnies lacking fundamentals - needs improving. Also, none of our guards outside of DeMar (and Bryn who was fouled on 3s) got to the FT line. Some were blocked, a couple maybe should have gotten calls, but on the whole it was too imbalanced. Lonnie had a performance (1-5) that reminds fans expecting greatness simply with more minutes that he is in fact a work in progress, and has a lot to learn. Tons of athleticism, but not always the best decisions in how to best use it for himself or the team.

They were quick in getting to the ball and though we passed well out of doubles, we did take some contested shots or too early in the clock that were more forced from not being able to make good to great passes rather than opportunistic ones at times. Still, we did make some adjustments and moved better for some weak side and trailing cuts that gave us open looks. But there too little of these. The post-game commentators talked about how they were able to impose their style of game on us, and that was largely true, as we did not do enough of what helped us succeed in the previous two games.

But it was really the other end of the game that did us in. We got out rebounded handily 49-37, including 11-5 on O boards. They missed 22 3s so there were plenty of opportunities for us to practice yet we somehow had a hard time remembering that long shots produce long rebounds, and we gave up multiple chances and multiple second chance points off of them. It also didn't help that we fouled them on some of their putback makes, and that there were several 6-point swings against where in we missed a 3 and had once scored on us on the next possession.

Although we made one more 3 in total, it's when these occurred that had us behind for much of the game and expending energy catching up. They made their 3s in clumps that were deflating just about every time we brought the game to within five or so points. Starting out the 2nd and 4th Qs with 13-3 and 8-0 runs against were not the game plan on either end, and though we made runs of our own like when we finished the 2nd Q on a 13-5 run, it was tough to keep playing from behind when giving up big runs. Our bench outscored theirs 26-17 in the first half, but they finished with a 40-35 edge.

Their pace affected us on both ends. They put up 13 more FGs over all and made 10 more shots. They also had 5 steals and we turned it over 11 times on which we gave up 17 points. I thought we did a better job in the first half in collapsing our D on their drives, but they kicked out and kept making their 3s which opened up space for their P&Rs which we had trouble defending once again. Bryn got switched on often, but even DJ wasn't effective in stopping their crafty young PG. As a matter of fact, DJ played only the first two minutes of the 3rd Q, but did get subbed in in the 4th Q. Lessons through sitting.

They ended up with a 56-36 points in the paint advantage. It didn't help that when we missed shots or they stole the ball they beat us down the court for easier buckets, losing on the fast break 22-9. So the old culprits of giving up O boards, transition D, P&R defense returned.

A minor point of game class, but I didn't like their taking and making a shot on their final possession when the game was at hand. We dribbled it out.

Some things to clean up, then, namely being stronger in running out to contest the 3s, being smarter about rebound trajectories and positioning, transition defense, ball protection, and maintaining focus. The result speaks to how each of these wavered in intensity and effort. Nothing we can't fix, as we've shown we're capable of better in all these areas.

NOTEWORTHY ACHIEVEMENTS
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#8 » by Phreak50 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 am

Surely Derozan has increased his trade value to something where we should be receiving a bunch of calls.

He still doesn't fit this team, despite his historic run of late.

And his odd style of play aside? His body language is almost always negative, like there's a chip on his shoulder and he always is being hard done by and has something to prove. It's annoying to watch as a fan and probably difficult to play alongside. Certainly not the Spurs way.

When Murray got yanked, I think it was early in the 3rd, he walked right by Pop and was frustrated, asking the assistant coaches and bench what he did wrong.

I wasn't sure myself, maybe it was passing to Bryn for the three rather than taking it strong to the hoop?

Trey Lyles still is a mystery to me. I honestly don't think he'd get minutes or even make the 12 on lots of teams in this league. And yet here he is with a big role. He isn't good enough for it. He isn't a good enough shooter for someone that gets so many wide open opportunities and lacks any sort of athleticism to assist on defense.

I guess losing out of Morris ruined us more than I expected. I don't regret losing Bertans in that pursuit though.

I wish White could shoot like Bryn, if he could we could start White and Murray and they could be the two headed snake backcourt.

The problem in these losses is horrible defense. Forbes, Mills, Derozan they all let us down and get feasted on by teams.

Derozan and one of Mills or Forbes needs to be moved for an athletic, defensive capable SF.

Then we sign Chriss from waivers and we're back in the playoffs hunt.

Easy ;-)
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Phreak50 wrote:And his odd style of play aside? His body language is almost always negative, like there's a chip on his shoulder and he always is being hard done by and has something to prove. It's annoying to watch as a fan and probably difficult to play alongside. Certainly not the Spurs way.

Raptors fans always said things like this, he brought down team morale with his body language, etc. Yet he's always been praised as a great lockerroom presence. After the championship win the young guys like Norman Powell and Fred VanVleet even went out of their way to praise him and cited him as an inspiration for their development.

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Surely Derozan has increased his trade value to something where we should be receiving a bunch of calls.

And his odd style of play aside? His body language is almost always negative, like there's a chip on his shoulder and he always is being hard done by and has something to prove. It's annoying to watch as a fan and probably difficult to play alongside. Certainly not the Spurs way.

I hadn't really noticed that, but that's why it's interesting to get others' POVs about the game. On the one hand it's good that a guy wants to be out there. I'd like to amend slightly my earlier statement that DeMar did everything he could to he did everything he could on O. That's not to say he did anything egregious that stood out on D as it has in times past, and it's not even so much about this game specifically, but DeMar is a cautionary tale about proper development when a guy comes into the league.

He's grown his game, so credit where it's due, but had he been properly developed, he would be more defensively sound and responsible and more willing to take a 3. If the older big LMA can do it at this stage of his career while becoming a better defensive presence.... Imagine if both had the same willingness. So DeMar has really been able to flourish more because Pop found a way to create more space for him to do what he is most comfortable doing, but that has also required other guys to do more outside of their comfort zone. Sure it's to LMA's benefit as well as he doesn't bang down low as much, but we could also be using his presence on the boards versus teams like last night that we didn't have as much of.

When fans (mostly on Twitter) call for more minutes for Lonnie as if his game is so developed as to warrant them, I point to DeMar and the holes in his game to this day when they started back when he entered the league. He could have been a terrific two-way player. It's minutes that get a player's attention, and Lonnie is far more sound on D now than he was earlier in the season.

Phreak50 wrote:When Murray got yanked, I think it was early in the 3rd, he walked right by Pop and was frustrated, asking the assistant coaches and bench what he did wrong.

I wasn't sure myself, maybe it was passing to Bryn for the three rather than taking it strong to the hoop?

Speaking of minutes: You know I didn't even notice DJ playing in the third, and had to go back and check. He did play, but got yanked after their PG passed to their SG for a made 3, and then their PG drove for a dunk. So that's a 5-0 stretch in 20 seconds. Is it all on DJ? No, but that's his defensive assignment, and their beating us down the floor after we missed a 3 (again, long shot, long rebound!) can't happen on the watch of a guy whose bread and butter is defense. Ja is a special talent and he's hard to keep up with, but this wasn't the first such sequence by them. It's a nebulous stat, but DJ was a team-worst -17. Part of it is having to guard such a dynamic player, but they also switched some for Ja to go against Bryn (-13) so our guards got carved up (Lonnie, too, -13). Derrick had a bad shooting night, but he was the only + guard at +4 with meaningful minutes. A lot goes into that stat, but these did pass the eye test.

Phreak50 wrote:Trey Lyles still is a mystery to me. I honestly don't think he'd get minutes or even make the 12 on lots of teams in this league. And yet here he is with a big role. He isn't good enough for it. He isn't a good enough shooter for someone that gets so many wide open opportunities and lacks any sort of athleticism to assist on defense.

Yeah it's a weird feast or famine with him. He goes from 100% shooting one night to not being able to buy a bucket the next. I'd rather some 4-9 nights more consistently than that. It gives you hope but you hold your breath because you never know which version will show up.

We did what we could after the MM debacle. Trey's noticeably better than in the beginning of the season, but yeah some O consistency and maybe a more consistent assertive streak would be good to see.

Phreak50 wrote:I wish White could shoot like Bryn, if he could we could start White and Murray and they could be the two headed snake backcourt.

Yeah Derrick's an interesting case. Coaches keep pushing to look for and take his own shot, and while he's very good at the 3 from his own dribble, his finishing at the rim has been spotty and lacking fundamentals. He is still the steady presence and there's value in that as well as in his ability to facilitate (he's better at P&R than DJ right now), but I thought his time with Team USA would translate into a more assertive version but still with that steadiness and it hasn't really manifested consistently yet.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Surely Derozan has increased his trade value to something where we should be receiving a bunch of calls.

Total agreement with this. I thought I was the only one who noticed. Obviously I don't know what happens in the locker room, but from what I see, it looks like he thinks its all about him and he thinks he needs to score 100 points a night to feel like he is helping us win. And no one(players or coaches) seem to want to challenge him. I have no doubt he wants to win but like I've said many times, he has no idea what it takes to win and no one here is showing him. You can tell he thinks he needs to play hero ball for 48 minutes and the only important thing is him scoring. Defense, getting other guys a good shot, rebounding, really have no importance in his game and he thinks he will win that way.

Phreak50 wrote:When Murray got yanked, I think it was early in the 3rd, he walked right by Pop and was frustrated, asking the assistant coaches and bench what he did wrong.

I didn't notice this but maybe if he is frustrated, he should think about doing something to help us win instead of floating around out there like he is in over his head which he seems to to most of the time. I'm one of the few people around here who is not impressed with him at all. This team has basically given him the red carpet and every opportunity to become one of the main guys here and all he does is disappoint. Sure he is no Ja Morant, but next to Morant in this game he looks like a G-leaguer. I see soo many young point guards around the league who had much less expectations than Murray playing soo well. Guys with much less NBA experience but playing aggressively and not looking like deer in headlights and I think to myself "I wish we had a guy who played like that".

Phreak50 wrote:Trey Lyles still is a mystery to me. I honestly don't think he'd get minutes or even make the 12 on lots of teams in this league. And yet here he is with a big role. He isn't good enough for it. He isn't a good enough shooter for someone that gets so many wide open opportunities and lacks any sort of athleticism to assist on defense.

I still don't agree with you 100% on Lyles. I think he fits a nice role and is productive. I don't think he is a starter but he is productive enough to come off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night and give us something.

Phreak50 wrote:I wish White could shoot like Bryn, if he could we could start White and Murray and they could be the two headed snake backcourt.

I believe White is pressing because we have too many guards eating up minutes. When White had to be relied upon last year and he knew the role was his, he played much better. Now it seems like he is trying too hard with the minutes he gets. I know he isn't nearly the scorer DeRozan is but DeRozan needs to be moved so he can get more comfortable minutes. Not sure if that is happening this year. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed DeRozan opts out this summer.
The reason I didn't mention Forbes in this is because I don't think Forbes starts if DeRozan wasn't soo reluctant to take threes. A trio of Murry, White and a good athletic wing could work much better.

Return to San Antonio Spurs