2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, GREY 1769, Baphomet

GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 15,179

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD 

Post#21 » by GREY 1769 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 am

imagump1313 wrote:Yeah, I would try to trade the pick if we actually got that lucky. Move down for Obi is my new slogan!
It wouldn't be a bad thing to be "stuck" with Edwards either but i think we could trade down for that also.

I think I keep comparing this draft crop to that of others (ie/ where would each guy go, for instance, last year?) Even with that, I don't think Edwards that guy and would rather Wiseman in terms of need, fit, BPA. But these are hypotheticals until we know the order.

There would be some karmic justice is we moved way up. Just saying.

How incensed would you if Obi were still available at #11 and we didn't draft him? I really like him on the O end, but he has seemed to drop a little in some mocks because of age and D by this point of his career. On the one hand, he can be plugged in and contribute right away. On the other - and this is a somewhat disproportionate criticism on Obi based on some of our players this season - I'm D-O-N-E done with guys who don't give a flying fig about the defensive end, be it from lack of BBIQ or lack of effort. If Obi were 19 or 20, maybe I'd be more on board, but there are younger guys who are two-way players, even if less polished on the O end. So I like him and want to like him more, but long-term, I wonder if he's the best, highest ceiling prospect for us. I definitely agree that we need someone of his ilk in terms of physicality and aggression (this is where I bang on the Patrick Williams drum a bit more).
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
imagump1313
Veteran
And1: 1,378

Post#22 » by imagump1313 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:37 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Yeah, I would try to trade the pick if we actually got that lucky. Move down for Obi is my new slogan!
It wouldn't be a bad thing to be "stuck" with Edwards either but i think we could trade down for that also.

I think I keep comparing this draft crop to that of others (ie/ where would each guy go, for instance, last year?) Even with that, I don't think Edwards that guy and would rather Wiseman in terms of need, fit, BPA. But these are hypotheticals until we know the order.

There would be some karmic justice is we moved way up. Just saying.

How incensed would you if Obi were still available at #11 and we didn't draft him? I really like him on the O end, but he has seemed to drop a little in some mocks because of age and D by this point of his career. On the one hand, he can be plugged in and contribute right away. On the other - and this is a somewhat disproportionate criticism on Obi based on some of our players this season - I'm D-O-N-E done with guys who don't give a flying fig about the defensive end, be it from lack of BBIQ or lack of effort. If Obi were 19 or 20, maybe I'd be more on board, but there are younger guys who are two-way players, even if less polished on the O end. So I like him and want to like him more, but long-term, I wonder if he's the best, highest ceiling prospect for us. I definitely agree that we need someone of his ilk in terms of physicality and aggression (this is where I bang on the Patrick Williams drum a bit more).

I'm not dying on the Obi hill. I just want us to draft someone who is ready to play and not some Austin project. Toppin just seems to be the most NBA ready. I know it will be hard at #11 to find that.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 418

Post#23 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#24 » by GREY 1769 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:45 pm

youngWizzy wrote:Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Thanks very much, Wizzy, really appreciate all the work you're putting into this. I've been getting familiar with the tools and think you've got a great site. Keep up the solid work.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:17 am

Let's take a look at Killian Tillie, a 6'10" 4/5, 220lbs mobile big for our second round pick.

Need to address the injury elephant which has significantly affected his stock:
Endured a litany of injuries and surgeries at Gonzaga, including knee surgery, a torn ligament in his foot, a stress fracture in his ankle, a hip pointer, and sprained ankles.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

Oof. The accrued injuries may be a harbinger of his body being brittle or perhaps he didn't recover properly. He doesn't look physically developed for his position, by which I mean maybe strengthening could help prevent injuries. He'll need strength against NBA bigs. The injuries have affected his mobility somewhat, but he is still a very solid floor spacer whose game is valuable to the modern style. Not an advanced post-up game, terrific P&R. Terrific shooter and solid vision and passing. Very good touch around the rim. Good defender. Smart player. Knows where to be, makes the right plays.

Knockdown 3-point shooter with an effortless release from deep range. Gonzaga ran actions to get him spot-up 3s as if he were a wing. He’s not a threat off the dribble, but he can pick-and-pop or run off a flare screen.

Excellent ambidextrous finisher around the rim; he has a feel for finding open spaces to avoid getting blocked, putting English on the ball off the glass.

High-IQ player who can fit into any offense. He knows when to cut, relocate off the ball, and how to make the smart pass. Also capable of beating mismatches in the post, a valuable skill considering how often defenses switch.

Instinctive passer who reads the play before it happens; he’ll catch the ball then immediately fire a bull's-eye pass to get teammates open. In the NBA, he could feast in the pick-and-roll because he can shoot, finish, and pass.

Physical man-to-man defender who battles in the paint and moves well laterally on the perimeter.

Alert team defender who rotates well, communicates, and puts himself in proper position to help.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

Some per 40 stats:
https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals/?player=Killian+Tillie

Advanced stats:
https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced/

Tillie shot 53.5FG%, 40% from 3 which is terrific, 72.6FT%, averaged 13.6PPG, 5REBs, 1.9ASST, 0.8BLK, 1STL, 1TO, 2.5PF per game. Not the best rebounding big, but he excels in areas Jakob doesn't so it's a complementary game.

Some highlights:

Good film breakdowns of his game. My ears perked up in the first one at the part where perimeter actions were run for him:

Interview and film room analysis of his game with him. Detailed, interesting:
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs